• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sixty Two Days Ago

6jw5yfx.jpg

sublimit

Banned
Has this been posted? I think it can give some hope to those who live with very old people.

Professor Chris Whitty said last week: “Even in the most vulnerable, oldest groups, in a very stressed health service – which Hubei was at the point when most of the data came out – the great majority of people who caught this virus – and not everybody will – survived it. The great majority, over 90 per cent.

“I think it’s easy to get a perception that if you are older and you get this virus then you’re a goner – absolutely not, the great majority of people will recover from this virus, even if they are in their 80s.”

bronk

Banned
Our Governor called a stop to gatherings of 250 people or more yet everyday I go to work with about 1000 people at our dispatch hall. One of us gets it we are all at risk by being cramped in that building. Big yikes.

Last edited:

T8SC

Isn't it all a bit late to be cancelling travel etc. The virus is in pretty much every country, so people are just as likely to get it visiting the local shop as they would sitting on a beach somewhere. Yes I can understand the cancelling of isolated events and even cruises, but to shut up shop & close borders etc, seems like it'll just impact that countries economy and they'll still be dealing with the spread of the virus between their own citizens. These actions should've been done weeks ago, instead, as shown above, it was minor news that everyone basically ignored.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

Holy shit if true. 50/50 since it's from an unnamed source, and Abramson has been known to stretch the truth a hair

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
No mass gatherings of more than 100 people in Ohio:

My brother was taking his fiance to My Fair Lady, but now it's canceled and he doesn't know if he can get his money back. I say he dodged a bullet!

Vlaphor

Naka kon got canceled / postponed the day before it started...

Now I gotta fight priceline to see if I can get my hotel refunded.

Holy shit if true. 50/50 since it's from an unnamed source, and Abramson has been known to stretch the truth a hair

Seems plausible. I am sure there is some truth to it, though it could be something a little more benign. Of course he'd want the #s to be lower.. though I don't see why they'd be suppressing something like that in March for a November election. If the election was last week or something, sure, but it's not going to stay quiet for 8 months.

Yeah... Country is in lockdown and both me and my gf is showing symptoms for the past week and self isolating, waiting for test results tommorow, at least i did prep beforehand so i have food in the house.

Wow! Take care, let us know how you're doing. Where are you from?

Wow! Take care, let us know how you're doing. Where are you from?

Norway, i started getting sudden fevers and nausea and muscle pains for the last week, last few days i got the cough and today my lungs hurt, segafans are stubborn so im not to worried about myself :messenger_grinning_sweat: but she is in a worse state but not awfull. Tbh i would rather get it now while the hospitals have some sort of capacity, thanks for the well wishes gaf!

You know who I miss the most during this time? Etika

but since I can't watch him goof off, I found this podcast on my youtube front page
Amesh Adalja feels this virus is closer to being as deadly as the regular Flu. So he is really lowballing everything. But even then at the end his expected total for deaths in about a year of this is a depressing number of people.

"In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Amesh Adalja about the spreading coronavirus pandemic. They discuss the contagiousness of the virus and the severity of the resultant illness, the mortality rate and risk factors, vectors of transmission, how long coronavirus can live on surfaces, the importance of social distancing, possible anti-viral treatments, the timeline for a vaccine, the importance of pandemic preparedness, and other topics."

If they want their butthole to turn into a firehose. :pie_thinking:
they could get intravenous vitamin c.
I don't know why this needs to be repeated.

There are roughly 1 million hospital beds in the USA. They are not evenly spread out based on population either.

If this gets out of control, there WILL be insulin shortages. There WILL be antibiotic shortages. There will be no one available to even provide them.

There are limited #s of beds and equipment to even treat this disease.

The US has 325 million people. If even a tenth of them get corona virus over the next 1-2 months, there won't be a medical system functioning to diagnose any of those things you fear not being diagnosed. The doctors and nurses will be shell shocked, overworked, sick and dying.
It is worse like 60-75% of hospital beds are currently occupied by other issues. So only like 300~k beds are available at any moment.

Also drug production I've heard much has been offshored to china and india
Not only are many medications used in the United States manufactured overseas, but critical ingredients — and the chemicals used to make them — also are overwhelmingly made in China and other countries. The supply chain’s roots now run so deep that it’s difficult to fully anticipate where critical shortages could emerge.

If china doesn't really have it under control there may be trouble in drug supply, even if it contains it the recent disruption in manufacturing could affect supply too. As stated, India too might also be affected and cut supply too. And who knows what other parts of the supply chain might be disrupted if other countries involved are affected.
Let everyone stay home for 3 weeks .
I hear it can last for more than that
We have seen high levels of growth as testing catches up with cases, but it doesnt sustain a doubling every 2 days.
Doubling time I've heard 4 days in some places and 6 days in others.

The thing is I've heard it is airborne, can spread over 4 meter distance and remain in the air for more than 30 minutes after an infected person leaves. Imagine what will happen in public restrooms with those air dryers moving the air about.
  • Scientists studied one man in China who passed the virus to 13 people in total
  • On the bus, germs jumped as far as 4.5 metres to other travellers
  • It lingered in the air for up to 30 mins, after the original man had got off the bus
  • People who wore masks on the bus were not infected, the study found
  • Coronavirus bugs also stayed on surfaces for days, especially when it was hot
  • Scientists said their findings show face masks are useful protective measures
  • UPDATE: The study published in a Chinese journal has since been retracted
Retracted for valid reasons or to keep fear from spreading?

Last edited:
Cleveland Cavaliers player donates $100,000 to support staff affected by NBA cancellations

Cleveland Cavaliers player Kevin Love announced on Instagram that he is donating $100,000 through his foundation to support the team's arena and support staff who have been impacted by the suspension of the NBA season.
Here's a portion of his statement:
"Everyone reacts differently to stressful situations. And the fear and anxiety resulting from the recent outbreak of COVID-19 can be extremely overwhelming.
Through the game of basketball, we've been able to address major issues and stand together as a progressive league that cares about the players, the fans, and the communities where we work. I'm concerned about the level of anxiety that everyone is feeling and that is why I'm committing $100,000 through the
@KevinLoveFund in support of the @Cavs arena and support staff that had a sudden life shift due to the suspension of the NBA season. I hope that during this time of crisis, others will join me in supporting our communities.”

yeah I don't know if many people think about the many jobs being affected by every closed factory to event to schools
people are not getting paid.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Went to the grocery store near me and noticed all the TP and paper towels were gone. Shelves were empty.

Come dufuq on people. Stpp being so paranoid. Lol.

Edit: and no I wasn't there for TP. Already got a bunch from Amazon awhile back. I have to keep stocked up anyways being I have IBS.
U just jelli u didn't panic early enough 😛

Oh I see he can always blame it on his trip to the US

Brazil's president says he expects results from his coronavirus test "in the next hours"
From CNN’s Taylor Barnes in Atlanta

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, wearing a face mask and speaking on Facebook Live, said he expects the results of his coronavirus test in the coming hours.

“I believe in the next hours we will have the result from [my test] and from some other people who were with me,” Bolsonaro said, referring to others who traveled to the United States with him last weekend.

Fabio Wajngarten, the president's press secretary, tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday, according an official statement from the president’s office.

Wajngarten was with Bolsonaro on the US trip, during which the Brazilian president dined with President Trump at Mar-a-Largo. Wajngarten posted a picture of himself with Trump on Instagram a few days ago.

celsowmbr

Banned
Oh I see he can always blame it on his trip to the US

Brazil's president says he expects results from his coronavirus test "in the next hours"
From CNN’s Taylor Barnes in Atlanta

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, wearing a face mask and speaking on Facebook Live, said he expects the results of his coronavirus test in the coming hours.

“I believe in the next hours we will have the result from [my test] and from some other people who were with me,” Bolsonaro said, referring to others who traveled to the United States with him last weekend.

Fabio Wajngarten, the president's press secretary, tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday, according an official statement from the president’s office.

Wajngarten was with Bolsonaro on the US trip, during which the Brazilian president dined with President Trump at Mar-a-Largo. Wajngarten posted a picture of himself with Trump on Instagram a few days ago.
ES8ViBlXgAAkEvk

lyan

The thing is I've heard it is airborne, can spread over 4 meter distance and remain in the air for more than 30 minutes after an infected person leaves. Imagine what will happen in public restrooms with those air dryers moving the air about.

Retracted for valid reasons or to keep fear from spreading?
It explains a lot of the big infection clusters, case studies are more important to identify the virus' capability than statistical analysis from garbage data.

cryptoadam

Banned

Seems to me Azar didn't outline how bad this could be so Trump wants to keep things calm. and then Abramason implants his perspective which is that Trump did it for winning an election (which makes no sense because the election is in November so he can't supress the numbers for like 7 months) but did it in a way that you attribute Abramasons reasoning for Trumps. Notice he uses the words my understanding. Why is it his understanding? Because Trump told him? I don't see a quote from Trump, just somehow how he made it clear. How and to whome?

ITs pointless to politicize this virus, you fight the infection not each other. Just look at the actions being taken, all the cancelations, EU travel restrictions. Heck the same people blasting Trump now probably shat on him when he banned China a month ago. This was when there was only cases in China. Even now look at everything being cancelled, and this is only 1600K cases and 40 deaths. I think the US is taking precautions.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Palpatine himself got Covid-19 and is on child support clinging to his dear life.

JC6cPN2.jpg

On that note, at this point now I wonder what will happen to big movies like Ghostbusters 3. I know I mentioned this before but things are really getting serious.

I also imagine Black Widow will suffer quite a bit. Out of all the MCU movies, I can't see people being that enthusiastic about it in the first place, but now with the Coronavirus....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom