• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I want my company to just make the call to let me work from home for a few weeks. They are going to wait for the first person to contract it though I fear.

This morning I informed my employer that I'll be working from home - I have not given them the option to say no to this. Sometimes being senior and the 1 in the bus factor 1 can be quite handy.

Ar¢tos

This was always BS - that's just not how immunology works.
You Can get it several times. The type of natural immunity our bodies develop to coronaviruses is short-term immunity. You can be reinfected, after a certain time (months/years depending on the specific virus and how each person immune system reacts).
But getting it 2x in such short time, no. It's probably still the same infection.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there's talk about closing schools here in Wisconsin. Won't be good saying me and my bf both work in schools. HOWEVER, they said he'd still be getting paid since they would be doing online classes. I will not be getting paid though. And while I do think mine may still open a little longer (unless the CDC comes out with a statement saying they HAVE to close with the rest), it won't matter much. My bf makes a lot more than me, but I do pay electricity and internet and groceries. Which doesn't sound like much. But I'm already hurting from some surprise medical bills. Being out of work will hurt me a lot. So do you guys know of any online gigs I could do in the meantime that would help me bring in at least some income?
Cam girl?

Stupid child.

Can't even spell climate :messenger_tears_of_joy:

9k9ebXf.jpg

Chaplain

Conservatively estimating 96 MILLION cases? CONSERVATIVELY!!

This is must worse then Australia's research concluded:

"New modeling from The Australian National University looks at seven scenarios of how the COVID-19 outbreak might affect the world's wealth, ranging from low severity to high severity. Four of the seven scenarios in the paper examine the impact of COVID-19 spreading outside China, ranging from low to high severity. A seventh scenario examines a global impact in which a mild pandemic occurs each year indefinitely. But even in the low-severity model — or best-case scenario of the seven, which the paper acknowledged were not definitive — ANU researchers estimate a global GDP loss of $2.4 trillion, with an estimated death toll of 15 million. They modeled their estimates on the Hong Kong flu pandemic, an outbreak in 1968-1969 that is estimated to have killed about 1 million people. In the high-severity model — modeled after the Spanish flu pandemic, which killed an estimated 17 million to 50 million globally from 1918 to 1920 — the global GDP loss could be as high as $9 trillion. In that model, the death toll is estimated to surpass 68 million." (3/5/2020)

Source: As the coronavirus spreads, one study predicts that even the best-case scenario is 15 million dead and a $2.4 trillion hit to global GDP

chitzy

Banned
You Can get it several times. The type of natural immunity our bodies develop to coronaviruses is short-term immunity. You can be reinfected, after a certain time (months/years depending on the specific virus and how each person immune system reacts).
But getting it 2x in such short time, no. It's probably still the same infection.
Right, over the long term term immunity can wane - hence why booster shots are a thing. But nobody should be getting reinfected by a virus weeks after overcoming the same virus.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
This morning I informed my employer that I'll be working from home - I have not given them the option to say no to this. Sometimes being senior and the 1 in the bus factor 1 can be quite handy.

I work for a university, but can easily function 100% online since I'm in data / application development. I won't be returning either until things improve, and I know they can't fire me, because I'm likewise a critical / irreplaceable component. Definitely happy to be where I am on that.

It was a strange experience explaining to my 8 year old and 6 year old why they wouldn't have school for the next few weeks.

I'd already been telling them about the virus since early February so they weren't completely blindsided, but it was a strange... almost out-of-body kind of sensation to tell them what lockdown would be like while thinking in the back of my mind "this is gonna be a childhood memory for them".

Just... strange.

Worst case scenario, if Trump and other top leadership dies this could destroy our country. I haven't said unprecedented so many times ever in my life but this shit is absolutely unprecedented.

It feels like I have been given a drop of that shit that slows down time all around you and there ain't shit you can do but watch everything slowly devolve.

The paranoid delusionist deep inside of me thinks this is a simulation and as my psyche breaks, the virus spreads.

Just kidding but its fun to go down these tangential rabbit holes in my mind.

Worst case scenario, if Trump and other top leadership dies this could destroy our country. I haven't said unprecedented so many times ever in my life but this shit is absolutely unprecedented.

It feels like I have been given a drop of that shit that slows down time all around you and there ain't shit you can do but watch everything slowly devolve.

The paranoid delusionist deep inside of me thinks this is a simulation and as my psyche breaks, the virus spreads.

Nah, even if Trump and others died the US would go on.

Reminds me of "Lathe of Heaven".

Protagonist is taken out of a self-imposed visit to the psych ward because he fears that his dreams can alter reality. His therapist gradually realizes that he is correct and begins using the hypnosis-therapy sessions to alter his dreams and mess with reality.

Great. My kids are coughing and getting bunged up. All the teachers of their school took a group trip last week to Israel I think. (I said it was the Vatican before, but I think it was a holy place in Israel somewhere.) Fuuu... fuuuuuuuu...

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: GHG

KielCasto

The Philippines adds 12 for a total of 64

Also, out of curiosity, I checked some nearby countries' news. I don't really go to the websites below so I can't 100% vouch for their credibility, but other sources are reporting the same number.

Indonesia has 69 cases that include 2 toddlers

Vietnam now has 47

Malaysia has 197

Reminds me of "Lathe of Heaven".

Protagonist is taken out of a self-imposed visit to the psych ward because he fears that his dreams can alter reality. His therapist gradually realizes that he is correct and begins using the hypnosis-therapy sessions to alter his dreams and mess with reality.

That sounds fantastic! I love those kinds of stories. I've got something to read as I destroy the world. :messenger_loudly_crying:

That sounds fantastic! I love those kinds of stories. I've got something to read as I destroy the world. :messenger_loudly_crying:
You don't need an excuse to read Ursula K Le Guin. She's fantastic. Also try The Left Hand of Darkness and/or The Dispossessed.

Cant wait for all the stable-geniuses out there to put out hour long diatribes about how Trump was assassinated by the deep state.
I think it'll go the other direction: Trump contracted the disease on purpose to garner sympathy for the 2020 election. You see, coronavirus was just his latest ploy to interfere with our democracy.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I work for a major bank and one thing I can commend them on is taking precaution. They were planning work from home rotations, stress testing infrastructure firm wide two weeks ago. Very flexible and most of my directs are anxious and have personal reasons to continue working from home. My rotation starts Monday and depending on how the week goes, I may be hunkering down until things improve. This is so fucking weird. Wild times. Sick times.

Really glad my son is only in pre-K and can be pulled out without hesitation, and lucky that my wife can stay home.

Stay safe everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom