• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
meLuaHK.gif

Kazza

For anybody a little confused by the UK government's approach:

AAnXLkS.png

12Rd66t.png

z4xFEvH.png

xcm7l1k.png

So, in short the governments policy seems to be:
- try to achieve 60% + infection rate in order to achieve "herd immunity", so avoiding experiencing repeated waves of re-infections, resulting in a constant lockdown...release...lockdown...release cycle
- try to maintain a nice steady flow of infections so as not to strain the medical system, taking measures to slow things down (closing schools, larger events etc) only when necessary.
- try to prevent vulnerable groups (eg the elderly) getting infected. You want kids and adults spreading it between themselves, eventually making up the vast bulk of the 60% required

It's a ballsy, and risky, strategy. I wonder if Germany is pursuing something similar, given Merkel's 70% infected remark earlier this week?

lyan

Bewilders me why this stuff makes the news. These people had pneumonia. Pneumonia causes lung damage. It's been doing that for millenia. We often discharge people still on oxygen after they've been treated. Some take weeks to wean off it, others never do. There is nothing novel about the novel coronavirus causing lung damage.
Because people think this is 'just the flu' instead of mass-pneumonia

Speaking of viruses

Anyone seen this video clip before? Its the song that was in Max Payne 3 - "Tears" by Health. It shows how a zombie infection doesnt affect children the same way it does adults. The children are still children but cant die and still have a large part of their consciousness intact and remember the good parts of their childhood (parents/playing etc) compared to adults who are just primal rage.

Its something thats never really addressed in zombie moves and after watching this I can understand why.

The part were the little girl zombie thinks she sees her mom and runs to her with that toddler run only to get to the fence and snap back into zombie mode all dead eyed and shit and finds theres no one there while still imagining going home. Messed me up for a few days.

AAnXLkS.png

12Rd66t.png

z4xFEvH.png

xcm7l1k.png

- try to achieve 60% + infection rate in order to achieve "herd immunity", so avoiding experiencing repeated waves of re-infections, resulting in a constant lockdown...release...lockdown...release cycle
- try to maintain a nice steady flow of infections so as not to strain the medical system, taking measures to slow things down (closing schools, larger events etc) only when necessary.
- try to prevent vulnerable groups (eg the elderly) getting infected. You want kids and adults spreading it between themselves, eventually making up the vast bulk of the 60% required

It's a ballsy, and risky, strategy. I wonder if Germany is pursuing something similar, given Merkel's 70% infected remark earlier this week?

"Most encouraging, it's way too clever for Boris Johnson to have had any role in developing"

Alrighty then, professor. The UK actually have a plan, whereas Europe are just shutting everything down and will probably end up shooting people in the street. France is especially clumsy on this issue.

15 tweets to get to the point. Surprised he hasn't killed himself because he shares his name with Donald Trump.

I know he is saying he agrees with the UK's approach, but his main point is he doesn't like Boris.

Last edited:

ROMhack

"Most encouraging, it's way too clever for Boris Johnson to have had any role in developing"

Alrighty then, professor. The UK actually have a plan, whereas Europe are just shutting everything down and will probably end up shooting people in the street. France is especially clumsy on this issue.

U-K
U-K

lyan

AAnXLkS.png

12Rd66t.png

z4xFEvH.png

xcm7l1k.png

It is risky but I can see where they are coming from, given NHS...

Sakura

I'm sorry but the strategy doesn't make any sense. They are not going to achieve herd immunity without sacrificing a lot of at risk people.
As soon as a lot of people start dying they will start doing lockdowns, I guarantee it.

Kazza

15 tweets to get to the point. Surprised he hasn't killed himself because he shares his name with Donald Trump.

I know he is saying he agrees with the UK's approach, but his main point is he doesn't like Boris.

That's one of the encouraging things about it for me. If even a typical remoaner like him (check out the profile pic too) is willing to, however begrudgingly, give Boris a little credit, then maybe there is something to it.

It will probably be at least two years until we can say for sure which government took the right approach.

Alx

Both Germany and France are following the same strategy, only with different routes ; but that's the reason there's no full lockout like in Italy or China. It's actually the safest strategy in the end, since even if you manage to stop the propagation of the virus by isolating people, as long as there is no herd immunity the epidemy can start again in a few weeks.

Marlenus

I'm sorry but the strategy doesn't make any sense. They are not going to achieve herd immunity without sacrificing a lot of at risk people.
As soon as a lot of people start dying they will start doing lockdowns, I guarantee it.

They have already said this. They said people are going to die and that more strict measures are incoming but they need to be timed correctly.

Only time will tell if this strategy works but there is no way Boris would sign off on it and go a different way to the rest of the world if he was not confident it would work because if it doesn't it ends him politically and he has spent far too many years stabbing people in the back to become PM to lose it now.

Kazza

Both Germany and France are following the same strategy, only with different routes ; but that's the reason there's no full lockout like in Italy or China. It's actually the safest strategy in the end, since even if you manage to stop the propagation of the virus by isolating people, as long as there is no herd immunity the epidemy can start again in a few weeks.

Whatever its efficacy, it's politically difficult to sustain, in the short term at least. There will always be the "something must be done" crowd. If in 2/3 months from now, China and Italy have zero daily infections and France, Germany, UK have hundreds or thousands (which there must be in order for the strategy to work), then there will be immense political pressure to "do something". Of course, the narrative would completely change if, come next winter, there is another big outbreak in China and Italy etc, although I could see those countries blaming the countries who didn't go into lockdown mode, accusing them if keeping the virus alive. The next few months will be interesting to observe, that's for sure.

What's the US strategy? Does the US even have a strategy?

UK Bros

Were any of you/your family/your work colleagues, struck down by a really shitty flu in December?

This is not a conspiracy theory, but I do wonder if we have already had a bout of Corona? I remember a lot of people calling in sick, being really ill with sickness, diarrhoea and an extended cough in December. It was like the flu, but on steroids.

Stouffers

Banned
I can't find the exact quote again, but the expert on Sam Harris's podcast #191 seemed to think this applied mostly to people who'd needed serious medical intervention (breathing machines etc). I.e. the disease and/or pneumonia steamrolled their lungs, and their lungs were left in a bad state as a result. So it probably doesn't apply to everyone who gets the virus, mercifully. He said this was a common after-effect of people whose lungs are are damaged by illness in general, not just for CV.
Which aren’t necessarily permanently damaged but might take 6+’months to further repair.

Stouffers

Banned
My girlfriend has been working in chinatown this week. While the place I work at has been dead due to the coronavirus, chinatown is apparently thriving. She has been busy all week with endless customers. I picked her up from the train station last night and she had the chills, a runny nose and passed out immediately after getting in the car. Hopefully it's just a cold or the flu but I left her in the bedroom last night and slept on the couch.

Let's see what happens tonight. I'm quarantining her ass if she is any worse.
I read somewhere you’re not likely to have a runny nose with this.

CJY

Banned
It's textbook "My first Chinese girlfriend" thinking.

She's "hot"? post pics then. (You wont)

She's giving you attention because a) She wants to make a sale. b) She's bored and your more interesting than anyone she's working with.

She's also talking with any number of other foreign guys thinking exactly just like you are.
Lol, first chinese chinese girlfriend?? Lol!!! you have NOOooooo idea.

KielCasto

Philippines' DOH adds 34 for a total of 98

Damn, I was kinda hoping that the hot temperature thing was kinda true but it seems like its just starting to ramp up here.

Graduation ceremony might be affected in this scenario, which sucks ass.

Oh yeah, if no older member of the Royal family or dies of this....then there is def a cure.

Those mother fuckers have lived through every world pandemic despite the amount of people theyre exposed to.

Last edited:
Some similarities between the two

Symptoms of coronavirus disease
The most common symptoms are a high temperature, a cough and difficulty breathing. These symptoms can vary in their severity. It is also possible for complications to arise, such as pneumonia. Some people who have developed the disease have also experienced problems affecting digestion or eye complaints (conjunctivitis).

Spread from contact with contaminated surfaces or objects
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Immediate signs and symptoms of VX exposure
  • All the nerve agents cause their toxic effects by preventing the proper operation of an enzyme that acts as the body’s “off switch” for glands and muscles. Without an “off switch,” the glands and muscles are constantly being stimulated. They may tire and no longer be able to sustain breathing function.

• VX is the least volatile of the nerve agents, which means that it is the slowest to evaporate from a liquid into a vapor. Therefore, VX is persistent in the environment. Under average weather conditions, VX can last for days on objects that it has come in contact with. Under very cold conditions, VX can last for months.
  • Because it evaporates so slowly, VX can be a long-term threat as well as a short-term threat. Surfaces contaminated with VX should therefore be considered a long-term hazard.

• People may not know they were exposed to VX because it has no odor.
  • People exposed to a low or moderate dose of VX by inhalation, ingestion (swallowing), or skin absorption may experience some or all of the following symptoms within seconds to hours of exposure:
    • Abnormally low or high blood pressure
    • Blurred vision
    • Chest tightness
    • Confusion
    • Cough
    • Diarrhea
    • Drooling and excessive sweating
    • Drowsiness
    • Eye pain
    • Headache
    • Increased urination
    • Nausea, vomiting, and/or abdominal pain
    • Rapid breathing
    • Runny nose
    • Slow or fast heart rate
    • Small, pinpoint pupils
    • Watery eyes
    • Weakness

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
I read some experts are predicting this could kill .05% of the US population. 40-70% population infection with a 1% mortality rate and works out to ~500,000-1,500,000 deaths. That's insane.

Last edited:

Revoh

UK Bros

Were any of you/your family/your work colleagues, struck down by a really shitty flu in December?

This is not a conspiracy theory, but I do wonder if we have already had a bout of Corona? I remember a lot of people calling in sick, being really ill with sickness, diarrhoea and an extended cough in December. It was like the flu, but on steroids.

I'm from Paraguay but my girlfriend had a serious case of the flu in early January, she did a few tests to see if it was dengue and it wasn't. We had thousands of dengue cases around here around that time. A week later my aunt had the same case. Epic flu, no dengue.

I thought about a few times and it does makes sense... What else could have been then? I slept next to her for that week and it was awful to witness. I did not have any symptoms.

Question. Does any one else feel burnt out on this virus/media coverage?

i‘ve been obsessed with it and the economy for this past week, but this afternoon I think I’ve reached my threshold and I don’t know if I can care anymore and will start to tune it out.

i need a fucking a cigarette

I’m mostly pissed off that it’s probably going to delay free agency and the NFL draft. My wife has taken things pretty seriously and loaded up on groceries but mainly because she’s worried there won’t be shit left to buy when we actually need it. I just want things to get back to some semblance of normalcy because I just don’t care that much about all of this and I’m being forced too.

Saruhashi

Banned
I’m not a hoarder, so one trip to stock up and then I’ll do exactly that. I don’t have 7 days worth of food.

Anyway, UK guidance is basically just do nothing and kill off as many of your fellow citizens as possible. Who would have thought this far-right bunch of bastards would turn out to be the legion of doom?

Oh that’s right...anyone with a brain.

No.

The UK advice for people in your condition is to isolate for 7 days.

Not go to the supermarket and knowingly endanger others.

It's mind bending that you think not only is it cool for you to go out and about knowingly infecting others but you are still ranting about the far right being bastards here.

Stay home for fucksakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom