• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the numbers. People under 60 are not dying from this.

I will say this. Any new virus is BAD. We do not 100% want new virsus that we have no vaccine for running unchecked. We should prevent its spread as much as possible.

But there is no reason to have tanked the world for something that is pretty harmless to people under 60 years old.

This virus is extremely dangerous to the elderly and we need to protect them. But i dont see why that required closing schools or going into lockdown.

My point about the heatwave is it killed alot of old people just like this virus. Put alot of em in the ICU just like this virus. But we didnt cancel the world or tell 30 year olds to stay home during the day while people were brawling in the streets foe sun screen.

This has become over blown and could have been handelded without tanking the world if we simply quarantined old people. Remove people over 60 from the numbers you post and you see a different picture.

Keep it away from the old you get almost no deaths and probably very few ICU and no society collapsing.

Heatwave does not flood the ICU that is not how it works. Heatwave is a do or die type thing, even a healthy person can over do it in a heatwave. A sicker or older person just has a much harder time at a heatwave or heatstroke.

Heatwave is just a drop dead instant kill not a sick for weeks need a hospital bed and nurses and doctors to care for me type thing.

My point is heatwave can be avoided stay out of the sun, drink water, stay in a cool place you will have no issues no matter what anyone else does.

With this virus, if you are at risk, you are old or are at risk, you can do all you can but you still have to worry about everyone else choosing to be as careful as you are or the danger will always be outside your door waiting for you.

The problem here is no the fack that we tanked the world over nothing. That is bullshit. We did not tank the world over nothing.

The reasons the market crashed is everyone acting at once.
The reason everyone rushed for toilet paper is everyone acting at once.

The old people and people like me at risk, are not the ones rushing to tank the world or the markets. I don't even care about running out of toilet paper I'll find a way to clean my ass I don't need the world to burn down for it.

The reason we are here is a whole bunch of people not thinking clearly enough to be prepared or make better choices. I am as bewildered as you are as to why the rush to insane levels of moves needed to go down.

Much of this could have been avoided if people were half as stupid as they are.

There is no reason to point at heatwave even CNN has Heatwave headlines when that shit goes down and the markets don't crash over it.

It is the reaction you have a problem with so try to manage your thinking in that direction don't play what about this heatwave.

Saying the reaction is overblown at this point is way too late bro WAY too late. Talking about heatwaves at this point sounds stupid because how the fuck are you going to get any reversal or take backs from just pointing out heatwave deaths?

First you are wrong they cannot be compared, second you can change the fuckery that went down already to get us to this point.
You might be thinking you are the only one in the world thinking straight right now, but just by posting what about heatwaves said nah bro you are affected by the irrational bug going around.

It is not that I disagree that the reaction to this has not been massively weird. It has been feeling like the Twilight Zone to me for weeks now.

We can't stop this train.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Cases numbers are fun but useless. Its like comparing different currecies. 1 miilion bolivares is alot less than 10 us dollars.

We need to know cases vs tested. If you have 500 new cases but tested 100k people its a lot better picture if you tested 500 people and have 100 cases.

I would love to see a negative test result counter but probably cant create mass hysteria with those numbers. Hey steve 100 K people tested negative for corona better go stock up on the tp its the end of the world.

Jtibh

Banned
The UK is taking absolutely the right approach for two big reasons.
1. Our approach is not dependent on the existence or otherwise of a vaccine. Other approaches simply won't work if a vaccine is not delivered sufficiently quickly.
2. Our approach will leave us in far better shape for the next pandemic, and yes I believe there will be one.

The UK is playing the long game and leaving the panicking to others.
I am following this epidemic since december.
And i politely dissagree.
I hope you are right and all goes well over there but the increase in the number from 2 days ago is drawing a different picture.

Alebrije

Gold Member

This is very telling

All the factors are worse in US:

Bigger population
Old people has great numbers on age charts
Obesity
Diabetis
Dense populated cities

So lets hope this not scalates as Italy but seems is going the same route

Jtibh

Banned
All the factors are worse in US:

Bigger population
Old people has great numbers on age charts
Obesity
Diabetis
Dense populated cities

So lets hope this not scalates as Italy but seems is going the same route
I just showed this as the numbers are very similar and i agree rhe US will have it worse if these number increase per day and same way as italy.

As the peak is 3 months away these charts should serve as baseline of what to expect.

Hope goverments learn from china and italy but even here in canada i dont see harsh measures implemented.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
_111259597_daily_world_coronavirus_cases_hist_14mar-nc.png

_111259266_europemapcircles_14mar_v2-nc.png

_111259599_coronavirus_chart_14mar-nc.png

Last edited:
UK Bros

Were any of you/your family/your work colleagues, struck down by a really shitty flu in December?

This is not a conspiracy theory, but I do wonder if we have already had a bout of Corona? I remember a lot of people calling in sick, being really ill with sickness, diarrhoea and an extended cough in December. It was like the flu, but on steroids.

Yeah, did last about 4 weeks as well. Know quite a few people who had that.

Cases numbers are fun but useless. Its like comparing different currecies. 1 miilion bolivares is alot less than 10 us dollars.

We need to know cases vs tested. If you have 500 new cases but tested 100k people its a lot better picture if you tested 500 people and have 100 cases.

I would love to see a negative test result counter but probably cant create mass hysteria with those numbers. Hey steve 100 K people tested negative for corona better go stock up on the tp its the end of the world.

You are grasping at every little straw to try to explain this mess we are in but one my friend. I can see what you are getting at but we can't control that, and we can't control this.

Humans are stupid is what we should both be saying.

If you go back to the first 10 pages of this thread you will find posters coming in saying Calm Down stop Panicking.

It was stupid to even call us just posting in here as panicking. But that is what we do as humans we don't think pass our asses.

Now you are asking for how many people are we testing, tested numbers are more important than cases you claim, trying to grasp at anything you can to make sense of this.

We can't control this dude. Now it is my turn to say relax and calm down.

We are not even getting 25% of the cases tested, so what the numbers mean right now is an indication that we have a problem and where the problem is located that is all. Tracking and Updates same as the start of the thread.

Best home defense right now:

Tape outward-facing signs on your windows and your front door stating "Quarantined due to coronavirus concerns. Please limit contact with the individuals in this building"

No burglar is gonna roll those dice.

Unless you live in Iran and they burn your house down to end the virus. I doubt this even takes Iran. Someone is scared and not thinking they might think it is a good idea to burn your house down just to feel safer.

Alebrije

Gold Member
I just showed this as the numbers are very similar and i agree rhe US will have it worse if these number increase per day and same way as italy.

As the peak is 3 months away these charts should serve as baseline of what to expect.

Hope goverments learn from china and italy but even here in canada i dont see harsh measures implemented.

Most countries are not doing the same US has done...banning flights from Europe is a politic movement more than a scientific fact. In the US new cases are more from local contact than imported ones.

I want to see how US behaves since public health systems are weak...they depend of private corporations contrary to China.

Canada ,Mexico, Germany, UK are on a different approach to the virus. But not matter what you do there is no way to stop it.

A heatwave in 2003 killed a bunch of old people i guess we better cancel the sun and tank the economy.

If this thing has like a 98% recovery rate for people under 60 why did we close schools and sports games etc ?

We need to stop a new virus but i think we could of done so without this mass hysteria.

I know I just quoted you, sorry. But yeah, there's an agenda going on here somewhere, gotta be.

Jtibh

Banned
Most countries are not doing the same US has done...banning flights from Europe is a politic movement more than a scientific fact. In the US new cases are more from local contact than imported ones.

I want to see how US behaves since public health systems are weak...they depend of private corporations contrary to China.

Canada ,Mexico, Germany, UK are on a different approach to the virus. But not matter what you do there is no way to stop it.
In about 2 weeks time we will see.
No matter how you look at it , call it politcal , the US did the right thing.
Canada should do the same as we will get bombarded with people coming from europe and go from here to the states.
Same as chinese did with going through thailand when they were banned from most of the world.
I have some insider info that my province will shut dwon schools next week so thats a good step forward but thats about it for now.

We are soooooo at the beginning of this and already people are freaking out.

I am on team full lockdown for 4 weeks but we all know in such large countries it will never happen.

Jtibh

Banned
Best home defense right now:

Tape outward-facing signs on your windows and your front door stating "Quarantined due to coronavirus concerns. Please limit contact with the individuals in this building"

No burglar is gonna roll those dice.
Or they will cuz they know you have toilet paper if you self isolate.

eot

Banned

A heatwave in 2003 killed a bunch of old people i guess we better cancel the sun and tank the economy.

If this thing has like a 98% recovery rate for people under 60 why did we close schools and sports games etc ?

We need to stop a new virus but i think we could of done so without this mass hysteria.
Did you even try to answer your own question? 1000 ppl is about a thousand of a percent of the UK's population. You don't see how this could be dramatically worse?

cryptoadam

Banned
You are grasping at every little straw to try to explain this mess we are in but one my friend. I can see what you are getting at but we can't control that, and we can't control this.

Humans are stupid is what we should both be saying.

If you go back to the first 10 pages of this thread you will find posters coming in saying Calm Down stop Panicking.

It was stupid to even call us just posting in here as panicking. But that is what we do as humans we don't think pass our asses.

Now you are asking for how many people are we testing, tested numbers are more important than cases you claim, trying to grasp at anything you can to make sense of this.

We can't control this dude. Now it is my turn to say relax and calm down.

We are not even getting 25% of the cases tested, so what the numbers mean right now is an indication that we have a problem and where the problem is located that is all. Tracking and Updates same as the start of the thread.

Its simple. New virus bad. Global outbreak of new virus bad. We need vaccine for new virus.

Keep away from old people. Dont import the virus.

Then we can work on slowing it down but people have become irrational about it.

The problem is if old people get this they go to ICU and die. Stop old people from getting it. Italy didnt even list any people under 60 dying.

The focus and resources should be placed there.

There is no downplaying of a new virus. Any new virus released in the world is BAD. We have been fighting Viruses for the last 100 years. Thats what we do. We will fight against this one. But we have to be smart and not stupid.

I will continue to preach the numbers which show that people under 50 are not at risk of dying. This is the messge that needs to get out. Keep this away from the elderly or you wind up like italy. Look at Japan and tawiwan even SK with there low death numbers.

But if we keep releasing the virus in old age communities or in hospitals with lots of old people theb you become italy. Panic buying food and tp doesnt protect old people.

Valonquar

It's a bad time to be a sysadmin. I'm at a small college that suddenly wants to go 100% online classes until at least April, with a plan of what that will look like just now taking shape. We have a fragmented campus split 60/40 between PC & Mac, nearly every faculty member has their own preference between OneDrive/DropBox/Google and also between O365/Google Docs. Some want to use MS Teams, other want Zoom. Against my advice the last few refreshes have still be handing out desktops to people that would have been fine with laptops since they didn't want to buy docks. There's talk of letting people take their desktops home, which is a separate nightmare considering how disgusting a laptop they bring in gets. They are asking for VPN on personal machines when we have no good MDM in place yet. It's just been meeting after meeting of me & the IT Security guy saying "Uhhhh no we can't do that currently." and when they ask what needs to happen, they don't seem to understand that the answer is about 6 months or work by a much larger staff than we have.

On the plus side we can probably leverage so other campus budgets for IT purchases right now, so maybe it will work out in the long run. In the short term, it's going to be a lot of work for a lot of angry, sick people.

New York looking to open another drive-through coronavirus testing facility

WZF7Qb3.jpg

New York state is looking to open up another drive-through coronavirus testing facility, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a press call this morning.

“We’re looking at Jones Beach on Long Island as a possible site. We need a large, open area. Jones Beach has large open parking lots that are available. So we’re looking at Jones Beach literally this morning as a possible location for the next drive-through,” Cuomo said.

Its simple. New virus bad. Global outbreak of new virus bad. We need vaccine for new virus.

Keep away from old people. Dont import the virus.

Then we can work on slowing it down but people have become irrational about it.

The problem is if old people get this they go to ICU and die. Stop old people from getting it. Italy didnt even list any people under 60 dying.

The focus and resources should be placed there.

There is no downplaying of a new virus. Any new virus released in the world is BAD. We have been fighting Viruses for the last 100 years. Thats what we do. We will fight against this one. But we have to be smart and not stupid.

I will continue to preach the numbers which show that people under 50 are not at risk of dying. This is the messge that needs to get out. Keep this away from the elderly or you wind up like italy. Look at Japan and tawiwan even SK with there low death numbers.

But if we keep releasing the virus in old age communities or in hospitals with lots of old people theb you become italy. Panic buying food and tp doesnt protect old people.

I agree we could be doing this a lot better than we are now. I seriously will never understand the toilet paper thing no matter who tries to explain it to me.

Alebrije

Gold Member
In about 2 weeks time we will see.
No matter how you look at it , call it politcal , the US did the right thing.
Canada should do the same as we will get bombarded with people coming from europe and go from here to the states.
Same as chinese did with going through thailand when they were banned from most of the world.
I have some insider info that my province will shut dwon schools next week so thats a good step forward but thats about it for now.

We are soooooo at the beginning of this and already people are freaking out.

I am on team full lockdown for 4 weeks but we all know in such large countries it will never happen.

YEP next two weeks will be interesting on most cointries in America.

But it seems US will be our Italy.

cryptoadam

Banned
Did you even try to answer your own question? 1000 ppl is about a thousand of a percent of the UK's population. You don't see how this could be dramatically worse?

Not if you keep it from old people. SK hasnt even hit 100 deaths yet and 90% of their deaths are people over 60.

How many people under 50 did the heatwave kill ? How many people under 50 did COVID kilk in italy and SK?

Lets be clear a new virus that we have no vaccine for is BAD. 100% BAD. We fight viruses thats what hummanity does for the last 150 years. Global outbreak of a new virus with no vaccine is BAD.

But now take a deep breath and look at the numbers. Then use logic. Deaths concentrated in the old. To stop deaths stop giving to old people. Old people are i general already isolated and dont do much anyways. So closing schools or sporting events is not really going to stop deaths. Old people dont really go to those.

You knwo what will help. Ending mass or other relegious ceremonied because old people go to church and mosque etc... screen every person who goes into a retirement home. If you are above 60 self isolate and travel as little as possible. Countries should do there best to stop importing and exporting the virus. If you have it stay away from old people. If you see an old person for their health and safey keep your distance.

Sakura

The UK is taking absolutely the right approach for two big reasons.
1. Our approach is not dependent on the existence or otherwise of a vaccine. Other approaches simply won't work if a vaccine is not delivered sufficiently quickly.
2. Our approach will leave us in far better shape for the next pandemic, and yes I believe there will be one.

The UK is playing the long game and leaving the panicking to others.
Even if the UK could magically navigate the virus to only infect people not in vulnerable groups, and also ensure that the infection is slow enough that the medical system isn't strained, it wouldn't result in herd immunity in the same way that catching this years influenza doesn't make you immune to next year's strain.

I'm not sure what the point of a negative test result counter would be. In December 100% of all the tests in Italy would've been negative.
You can already know cases vs tested for many countries if you want to.

Journalist denied entry into White House press briefing after having fever
From CNN's Jason Hoffman

A journalist was denied entry into the White House press briefing on the coronavirus today after having a 99.9 fever.

He was trying to get access to the briefing and was turned away and is being held by the press office on the White House driveway.

A member of the White House physician’s office, along with a press aide, made the rounds of the press area to take everyone’s temperatures.

Temperature checks have become more common around airports in an attempt to screen for coronavirus.

Finally gave in to the hysteria and went for a 7AM shopping trip to the super market and stocked up on essentials to hopefully last a month or more for me and the kids.

Crowd at 7AM was about what you'd expect at 5PM on a weekday. Made sure to get some Guinness and Irish whisky.. Because.. Everyone was nicely behaved and the checkout lines were not abnormally long. When I left around 830am it was starting to get crazy.

No TP or paper towels in stock, nor ONIONS (??), nor chicken.. But still milk and other fruits and veggies and frozen stuff. Even had chicken noodle soup.

Got boxed milk and almond milk which stores well. Sodas and other fun stuff.

Wife still thinks I'm crazy but is starting to come around. It's all shit we'd eat eventually anyway so hopefully none of it was a waste.

cryptoadam

Banned
Even if the UK could magically navigate the virus to only infect people not in vulnerable groups, and also ensure that the infection is slow enough that the medical system isn't strained, it wouldn't result in herd immunity in the same way that catching this years influenza doesn't make you immune to next year's strain.

I'm not sure what the point of a negative test result counter would be. In December 100% of all the tests in Italy would've been negative.
You can already know cases vs tested for many countries if you want to.

Any links? I am really interested in the numbers. We know SK has 96% negative on their tests.

Negative test numbers put things in perspective. Italy has a pop of i think 58 million ? Well it makes a difference if they tested 20 million or 20 thousand.

People are scared because they think that everyone tests positive if u look at someone with a cough. If we showed negative test results it would add context. Ok 500 new cases but we also tested 1 million more people changes the perspective of 500 new cases on 1000 tests.

The numbers paint a very different picture then what people are reacting too. So far 96% negative tests and 98% deaths people over 50. If i told you 10k people got a flu like virus in italy but no one died and a few hundred went to the hospital 97% of the population tested negative for this virus would you close down all schools go into quarantine and sell your body for a roll of tp ?

Kadayi

Banned

Here in the UK a massive increase from yesterday from 798 cases to 1140 (+342) a 42% rise with the death toll doubling to 21 . I didn't think that we'd hit 1000 until Sunday, but I fully expect by tomorrow the number to exceed 1500 at this rate, maybe even 1600. :messenger_neutral:

Quite surprised to see my town centre still quite busy considering.

DHSC is still holding off on closing schools at present, but I fully expect that will change by midweek we exceed 4K cases and the public hits full panic mode. .

Present advice if you think you have Coronavirus is self quarantine for 7 days and only call the NHS you still have bad sympthoms: -

Sakura

Any links? I am really interested in the numbers. We know SK has 96% negative on their tests.

Negative test numbers put things in perspective. Italy has a pop of i think 58 million ? Well it makes a difference if they tested 20 million or 20 thousand.

People are scared because they think that everyone tests positive if u look at someone with a cough. If we showed negative test results it would add context. Ok 500 new cases but we also tested 1 million more people changes the perspective of 500 new cases on 1000 tests.

The numbers paint a very different picture then what people are reacting too. So far 96% negative tests and 98% deaths people over 50. If i told you 10k people got a flu like virus in italy but no one died and a few hundred went to the hospital 97% of the population tested negative for this virus would you close down all schools go into quarantine and sell your body for a roll of tp ?
You would have to check for the individual countries. Japan is the country I live in, so it is the only one I really follow that closely, but they post the numbers every day. 12,090 tests as of 12pm March 14th, with 699 positives.
Negative test numbers only put things in perspective for their specific time. If country A had 1 million tests and only 10,000 positives, then that is only 1%. But if in the last 24 hours, there were 10,000 tests done, and 2,000 tested positive, that is 20%, and would indicate a rising level of saturation.

cryptoadam

Banned
You would have to check for the individual countries. Japan is the country I live in, so it is the only one I really follow that closely, but they post the numbers every day. 12,090 tests as of 12pm March 14th, with 699 positives.
Negative test numbers only put things in perspective for their specific time. If country A had 1 million tests and only 10,000 positives, then that is only 1%. But if in the last 24 hours, there were 10,000 tests done, and 2,000 tested positive, that is 20%, and would indicate a rising level of saturation.

Japan the countey we should follow. Kept case and death numbers down. U guys didnt pull an italy.

Sakura

Japan the countey we should follow. Kept case and death numbers down. U guys didnt pull an italy.
We'll have to see. It isn't exactly slowing down, and they won't test you unless you have like a fever of 37.5+ for 4 days straight. A couple days ago they only tested 181 people and over 50 were positive, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me.
I think numbers are suppressed because they are worried about the Olympics etc, so I am taking a wait and see approach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom