• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spanish flu had a round two that was way worse than the original.. Perhaps nature is not quite done with the Eastern Kingdom... 🤔

You might be on to something
Beijing is pushing traditional medicine as a "Chinese solution" to coronavirus. Not everyone is happy about that

they learned nothing

Good news!
South Korea's coronavirus cases continue to decrease

After weeks of triple-digit increases, South Korea reported 76 new coronavirus cases today.

This brings the national total to 8,162 confirmed cases and 75 deaths, according to the South Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Seven new cases are linked to a cluster at a call center in Seoul, and 41 new cases are from the southern city of Daegu, where the outbreak has been concentrated.

I believe the study was in a controlled environment and it being shot up in a specific aerosol form and taking its way to make it to surfaces. But in most instances it will be heavier concentrations that fall to the surface quickly.

At least that’s what the expert on Sam Harris said.
Hmmm, may have misread but I think it was a person with covid 19 who infected people in a bus, and it was caught on camera. Infected even people who got in after they left and up to 4.5 meters away. But study was retracted for unknown reasons.
I feel like were headed quickly towards a 2 week mandatory quarantine. Its necessary but also feels if it does happen that it's a bit too late.
I'm not sure what the truth of the disease is, but I think it might last longer than two weeks in your system. Of the top of my head I think it can be up to about 20+ days, but some rumors say it has come back 10 days after recovery in some cases, so that'd put it over 30+ days if true. I've also heard people without symptoms can spread it, which if true is problematic, because someone might catch it within a quarantine zone sometime during mid to late quarantine and get out with the virus.

edit:
Recently, WHO reported that the time between symptom onset and death ranged from about 2 weeks to 8 weeks. -lancet
Rumors are some people actually can get it and be almost asymptomatic yet be able to spread it. Is it true? How many weeks would the disease last in their systems if so?
edit2: it is interesting that people can take up to two weeks to develop symptoms and then up to 8 weeks to die in some cases. For a total time of up to ten weeks with the disease in the system.
I have yet to see evidence of this.

Again if the majority of people who die are old it follows the majority in hospitals would be old.

The data also shows that 92% have mild symptoms. I assume mild means no hospital?

Italy and China had issues because of old people. SK and Japan didnt collapse.

But like i said key is to keep it away from the elderly. We would be better off quarantine old people over closing schools. Keep old people away from this the hospitals can stay clear.

Anyways if u want to continue with this discussion go to my other thread.
This has been addressed but again it seems over 50% of cases requiring hospitalization are under age 60. Also I've heard 11% of cases face serious complications so it is only 89% with mild symptoms according to my sources.
Because it has, for now. Other provinces were put under almost total lock-down soon after Wuhan was quarantined.
I heard several provinces were on lockdown, not the entirety of china. So what stops areas without lockdown from having seen growth and spreading it back to the areas with lockdown? Or was the entirety of china on lockdown?
BTW, China managed not to have any food shortages despite having over 1.3 billion mouths to feed, so there's no need to stock up on two months of food (unless you think that your own government is much inferior to China's)
Rumors are entire families had metal bars welded to their doors locking them in with no ability to get any more food.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Australia requiring anyone arriving from overseas to self isolate for 2 weeks. How the hell they gonna enforce that

cryptoadam

Banned
This has been addressed but again it seems over 50% of cases requiring hospitalization are under age 60. Also I've heard 11% of cases face serious complications so it is only 89% with mild symptoms according to my sources.

This is what a study from China says

In this single-center case series of 138 hospitalized patients with confirmed NCIP in Wuhan, China, presumed hospital-related transmission of 2019-nCoV was suspected in 41% of patients, 26% of patients received ICU care, and mortality was 4.3%.

Of 138 hospitalized patients with NCIP, the median age was 56 years (interquartile range, 42-68; range, 22-92 years) and 75 (54.3%) were men. Hospital-associated transmission was suspected as the presumed mechanism of infection for affected health professionals (40 [29%]) and hospitalized patients (17 [12.3%]).

Now this is one case study and not representative of all numbers of course.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
vdeqan1zlrm41.jpg

gamerMan

Newt Gingrich is living inside the nightmare that is Italy. Here are a couple of things he says:

• Faced with a pandemic threat, history teaches us it is far better to be over prepared than underprepared.
  • If you are older or have other illnesses, you may simply not be eligible for treatment.
  • if America begins to have the Italian scale of deaths, we would be losing 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 Americans. If it really got out of control, the rates could go higher.
  • Italy has a unique vulnerability to coronavirus, because it has the second oldest-aged population in the world.
  • However, America has a uniquely vulnerable population, too. There are tens of thousands of homeless people in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle.

Newt Gingrich is living inside the nightmare that is Italy. Here are a couple of things he says:

• Faced with a pandemic threat, history teaches us it is far better to be over prepared than underprepared.
  • If you are older or have other illnesses, you may simply not be eligible for treatment.
  • if America begins to have the Italian scale of deaths, we would be losing 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 Americans. If it really got out of control, the rates could go higher.
  • Italy has a unique vulnerability to coronavirus, because it has the second oldest-aged population in the world.
  • However, America has a uniquely vulnerable population, too. There are tens of thousands of homeless people in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle.

Sanctuary states about loose half their voters.

Thats not funny.

SpartanN92

Banned
Well my job is probably fucked (at least for a while)

I work for Verizon and on Monday the CEO will be making a statement about store closings.
This whole thing really sucks. I’ve got some vacation time and a decent savings but seriously this is so frustrating. My job is my livelihood and it pays pretty damn well.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A friend of mine live in Australia. Says he wasn't feel well, just walked into his local hospital, got tested, was in and out in 10 minutes easy. Not the same here. Not sure if that's everywhere in Australia right now.

Also wanted to share this. Les is my lord and savior when it comes to disaster scenarios.

autoduelist

To be fair, the guy on the right gave a semi-reasonable explanation. According to him, he drove around his rural, unlikely to be hit, area and bought up the stuff from dollar stores and whatnot, well before the panic came to america. And he was figuring this wouldn't harm the local supply chain and would allow him to ship what was sitting on rural shelves to distribute to a national market for a slight markup.

While it's not something i would do, if we take him at his word it's actually a reasonable idea and not as scumbaggish as most scalping enterprises. Of course, he could just be trying to make a buck off fear, and his inventory quantity is insane.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

The US-Mexico border could be shut down to contain the coronavirus outbreak — by Mexico, health officials said.

sinnergy

The bastions of telling the truth. Neither of these countries ever lie to make themselves look better, never.

That’s besides the point.

Because they like their people to die? Come on guys , don’t re-invent te wheel ..

WHO thinks the same, what The Netherlands and UK want is not what you try with this virus ...

You would overwhelm the health systems and dead counts will sky rise .

I am expecting the WHO to act up.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

The US-Mexico border could be shut down to contain the coronavirus outbreak — by Mexico, health officials said.
So, they finally figured out how to control their own border? What convenient timing!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Last edited:

autoduelist

Wuhan virus, when accused of racism, doubles down. Next we're going to find out it affects different races differently.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Not an expert but how in the fuck a microscopic virus is comparable to fucking pepper?
Is this a joke?
Who is the person in the video. If she a doctor/scientist then she telling you why. If she just some random person doing a modern day equivalent of old wives tales

I think she may have a point

The solution is evident. We need to eat soap. Maybe the tide pod eating Millennials knew about this beforehand and were warning us the only way they knew how. By social media and memes.

same with the trump covfefe tweet. Wait.... no... could it be...
...sweet essential oils and chakra....

The survivors!! They built a quantum computer that could tweet back in time. Yes the brilliance of it all. My god. Science is real! Science is real!!

just eat soap.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I
Who is the person in the video. If she a doctor/scientist then she telling you why. If she just some random person doing a modern day equivalent of old wives tales

I think she may have a point
I still don't understand how pepper is comparable to a virus...
Also is she talking about common hand soap?

KielCasto

There's a super sketchy video going around Facebook (at least here in the Philippines) that bananas keep the coronavirus away. We should be eating healthy, but come on, that video is misleading.

cormack12

Gold Member
Without staring into anti-vaxx territory, is everyone going to be OK with taking a very limited clinical trial vaccine (especially regarding long term effects).

Unfortunately, creating a vaccine capable of preventing the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 will probably take at least a year to 18 months, health officials say.

“That is the time frame,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the House Oversight and Reform Committee this week. Anyone who says they can do it faster “will be cutting corners that would be detrimental.”

While there are about 10 vaccine candidates in the works — and at least one of them could begin clinical trials in April — it would still take about three more months to conduct the first stage of human testing and another eight months or so to complete the next stage of the trial process, he added.

It does look like some previous research can be used:

The new virus shares much of its genome with the coronavirus that caused the 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome, and some Australian researchers already have been studying the SARS virus in ferrets.

Here are the phases of usual clinical trials. Phase 3 usually takes 1-4 years for approval and only 25-30% drugs go beyond this phase

They are talking about taking shortcuts and maybe adapting the animal tests (whcih are being discussed with the coronavirus). I work in healthcare, and I have no issues with vaccines, but I am concerned about seeing something developing after 3-5 years after agreeing to take it at the height of an epidemic.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Wuhan virus, when accused of racism, doubles down. Next we're going to find out it affects different races differently.

That’s not entirely impossible. We already have conditions that affect certain groups disproportionately such as sickle cell anemia so it’s clear there’s enough biological difference for that to be a thing, not such a stretch for a virus to be affected.

Kazza

There's a super sketchy video going around Facebook (at least here in the Philippines) that bananas keep the coronavirus away. We should be eating healthy, but come on, that video is misleading.

Well, at least it's better than drinking cow's urine.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Man I was at a chemist in London yesterday that had kids calpol and some random flu medicine. I text my wife. I asked do we. need any. It’s 100 ml it’s good for the plane etc.

(I already brought the kids calpol one bottle)
She went nah we’re fine we have some France has some all good. Like don’t worry.

So in usual husband style I had already got the kids medicine. So instead of admit it. Be called a panic buyer. Etc.

I decided I’ll keep it give it to someone at work who has kids. Which I did.

this morning I get a text from her asking to get some kids medicine and some adult paracetamol. Because she doesn’t want to go the pharmacy. Yeah Good luck me finding it again. (Ok maybe that might be an over exaggeration maybe not)

I swear you can never win. Ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom