• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I said before that I work at a hotel (in Brazil). I told you last thursday that an Italian arrived here and said there was no screening as he got off the plane. Today a French dude arrived. He said it was the first country he's been to that had no screening whatsoever. Also, he said there was a person from Kenya from another plane who arrived and was very pale and had a high fever, sweating like crazy, and absolutely nothing was done.

🤦‍♂️

lyan

BTW, China managed not to have any food shortages despite having over 1.3 billion mouths to feed, so there's no need to stock up on two months of food (unless you think that your own government is much inferior to China's)
Well there are quite some rumors of families starving to death at home during the lockdown, though like always nothing can really be verified with regards to things going on there.

dolabla

xl5NnQF.jpg

tNUMvFO.jpg

zY2gh9b.jpg

With the way people are reacting, you’d think we were calling it the “ching chong ding dong squinty eyes” virus.

Like, Wuhan is just the name of the place. lmao

Japan sees largest daily spike of coronavirus cases
From Chie Kobayashi and Bex Wright in Tokyo

Japan announced 64 new coronavirus cases, bringing the nationwide tally to 1,477, according to Japan’s Health Ministry.

most trackers have the cruise ship number and Japan number separated only CNN's blog add both numbers together
Japan today is at 70 new cases for a total of 804

Azzurri

Gold Member
I wonder if the USA would just SHUT IT DOWN for 2 weeks like Italy.

I mean it if it's the only way to do it, I don't think it be a bad idea.

Last edited:
Google is developing the nationwide website that the media said Trump was lying about yesterday.

Media never said they were lying about it. Media is just playing stupid. Google said they are testing it locally Bay area first then grow it into a nationwide thing. Media expected it to be launched overnight for use nationwide right away that is what most of them reported on saying Trump mislead them.

It is good to correct the media on bullshit but don't over correct because both sides are playing politics right now.
It did sound like you could just go on a website and fill out some forms right away. But that website is still months away. That is the facts.

Note: I did see the CNN story 8 hours ago on the update blog.
I don't post many Trump stories that CNN posts because it derails the thread. This is not a politics focus thread we update on this Virus and track cases and locations. CNN vs Trump is best served in the politics section of this forum.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wonder if the USA would just SHUT IT DOWN for 2 weeks like Italy.

I mean it if it's the only way to do it, I don't think it be a bad idea.

“The term ‘lock-down’ isn’t a technical term used by public health officials or lawyers,” Lindsay Wiley, a health law professor at the Washington College of Law, said in an email. “It could be used to refer to anything from mandatory geographic quarantine (which would probably be unconstitutional under most scenarios in the US), to non-mandatory recommendations to shelter in place (which are totally legal and can be issued by health officials at the federal, state, or local level), to anything in between (e.g. ordering certain events or types of businesses to close, which is generally constitutional if deemed necessary to stop the spread of disease based on available evidence).”

But whether any level of government could enforce the wholesale closing of a region or city (whether or not that decision is ill-advised) is a question courts would have to weigh in on.

“As a matter of constitutional law, the courts would typically require government officials to try voluntary measures first, as a way of proving that mandatory measures are actually necessary,” Wiley said. “Furthermore, any mandated measures would have to be narrowly tailored and backed by evidence. ... To pass constitutional muster, an order not just urging but requiring all people within a particular area to stay home would have to be justified by strong evidence that it was absolutely necessary and that other, less restrictive measures would be inadequate to slow the spread of disease.”

These measures include postponing or canceling mass gatherings like sporting events, concerts, or religious gatherings. It could mean closing schools or encouraging telework. (Other good practices during any outbreak: Stay home if you’re sick, cover your coughs and sneezes, and wash your hands.)

“A local health department may ask — or order — private businesses and organizations to cancel events where large crowds are expected to gather,” Wiley says. “Or, if it is determined that children play an important role in transmitting infection, state and local officials may order public and private schools and daycares to close. These decisions would be made primarily at the local level — city by city, county by county.”

I'm pretty sure that when it was the highest it's ever been.

I know here in the states it was like 4 dollars a gallon for 87

https://www.cbc.ca/news/what-goes-into-the-price-of-gasoline-1.786299

From 2009, key quotes

"And just as quickly as prices hit those highs, the bottom fell out of the crude oil market. The price of a barrel of oil which had peaked at close to $150 US in July, fell to under $40 a barrel by December.

Gasoline prices in parts of Canada dipped to below 70 cents a litre for the first time in years."

" So, for May 2008, we have about 78 cents for the crude costs, about 32 to 33 cents for taxes, 13 to 14 cents for refining and marketing. Do a little rounding and you come up with about $1.24 a litre, which was close to the average price of a litre of gasoline that month.

For April 2009, oil averaged $49.36 US a barrel, making the crude oil component of a litre of gasoline about 31 cents US — or approximately 38 cents Cdn, factoring in the exchange rate. Add 31 cents for taxes and 20.2 for refiner and marketing margins and you get 89.2 cents a litre — again, close to the average price of gasoline that month"

I remember those times well because I was a broke teenage punk who went from struggling to keep my tank full to being able to keep it full easily and buy more alcohol and pot.

dolabla

Media never said they were lying about it. Media is just playing stupid. Google said they are testing it locally Bay area first then grow it into a nationwide thing. Media expected it to be launched overnight for use nationwide right away that is what most of them reported on saying Trump mislead them.

It is good to correct the media on bullshit but don't over correct because both sides are playing politics right now.
It did sound like you could just go on a website and fill out some forms right away. But that website is still months away. That is the facts.

Google is not working with the US government in building a nationwide website to help people determine whether and how to get a novel coronavirus test, despite what President Donald Trump said in the course of issuing an emergency declaration for the coronavirus pandemic.

Oh god not that stupid Verge shit again, why you linking it? You think I missed it? We talk about everything to death in this thread we don't miss shit dude we just get tired of stupid.

Verge is making a stupid point that Google is not working on it Alphabet is, same fucking company they stupid already told you they are being stupid in my post. lol they are not even pretending. What part of derail the thread did I not mention?

All of the politics shit is dumb.

Saruhashi

Banned
With no food?

It went from a slight cough to a rough cough in less than 24 hours. I went in early, stocked up, and got out. The only things I made contact with were the things I bought, and I ran them through the checkout myself.

And fuck the Tories. Their strategy is basically ‘let’s do an Italy’. Give it two weeks and the news from the UK will be about the NHS being overrun. Feel free to quote me on that.

You can't have it both ways.

You admit that you knowingly went out and about to get food while you had symptoms.

Thats fine in your book beacuse you needed food.

On the other hand you want to put the government on blast for not implementing a full lockdown or quarantine or whatever.

You: I have symptoms and the government advises people like me to self isolate but, fuck it, I'm going out.

Also you: Goddamn government being to lax with containing the virus! Why didnt they impose tighter restrictions!

We will find out in time if the UK is making the correct decisions here but it's completely idiotic to disobey the guidelines while simultaneously whining that the guidelines aren't strict enough.

autoduelist

What kind of thinking is this , it not a fucking experiment in a class room , don’t care if your tactic works , in theory. There are proven examples China , SK and a couple of others. It’s human lives you are taking about , not numbers .

Lock down, curb the curve.

Fuck that, I have no interest in letting my government have the authority to weld me into my apartment.

The kind of thinking i have is called what is actually happening - we have 200 different countries in the world, each attempting their own methods of dealing with a pandemic. Some large, some small. Different religions, different cultural backgrounds. Some free, some not.

There is no one size fits all band aid, and we don't measure the 'best solution' based on your particular favorite metric. One country [say, NK, or some other tyranny] might decide they should kill every person as soon as they test positive, and ultimately have the lowest death rate due to containment until a cure is found. Does lowest head count mean their solution is best?

And yes, we are talking about numbers. 8 billion people in the world. Every stat we discuss is talking numbers. Evrry debate between two different techniques is a debate about numbers.

That you consider China 'proven example' means little. We can't even trust their numbers. And simply because a plan [supposedly] works there does not mean it works in a different culture. And more importantly, just because you might consider their method proven doesn't mean another countries tactic isn't better... which we would not know unless we test it.

So yes, we have dozens of different strategies for handling pandemic going on right now. Hell, even each of the 50 states in the US have custom made tactics in place. And yes, these are all experiments. And yes, this is a damn good thing.

Don't try to imply I don't care about people because I'm literally telling it like it is. I am not stating opinion when I say we are seeing many different plans in action, and will be able to evaluate which worked best in the future. It's fact.

And fuck China's 'solution'. Where are those journalists? Have those families welded into apartments run out of food yet? Will we ever know?

Saruhashi

Banned
The idea that China, of all places, should be held up as the example to follow here is pretty wild to me.

I'd be surprised if they have been 100% honest about ANYTHING surrounding this situation so far.

You know you are fucked when "let's deal with it in the same way as China" is the prevailing opinion.

autoduelist

Because it has, for now. Other provinces were put under almost total lock-down soon after Wuhan was quarantined. The place where I live is over 1000 km from Wuhan, but everybody has been pretty much confined to their own homes for the past 6 weeks. Only one person per household was allowed to leave their residential complex once every 2 days, although pretty much everyone I know just made a big shop once a week. The daily number of newly confirmed cases still rose for about two weeks, and then gradually became fewer and fewer. The city where I am has now gone 3 weeks with zero newly confirmed infections. Things are just beginning to relax where I am (shops reopening etc), although the amount of traffic and people in the shops is still much less than usual.

I was quite happy and optimistic about the whole thing, until I started looking at predictions from some western experts about how the virus will just come back again. People here took the first quarantine period with patience and understanding, but a second round would be really disappointing. Those doctor/nurses unmasking videos have a slight hint of Bush's "mission accomplished" banner to them right now.

Whatever one thinks of the Chinese government, that shouldn't stop everyone from being pleased for these health workers. Many from the whole of China went to Wuhan to help wirth the outbreak, and it must have been hell.

That's sort of what I was getting at regarding the news articles bring so positive - we don't know if a quarantined region is simply delaying infection or not. It's too early to judge success. I mean, sure, hard quarantine will obviously reduce spread for as long as the hard quarantine is in place, but it does not immunize the people once quarantine is lifted.

My area seems to have pretty much shut down in the social / school areas. Stores are still open. That definitely will slow spread too, but until we are past the hump, have some actual solutions in place, it's not over.

KielCasto

Joe T.

The idea that China, of all places, should be held up as the example to follow here is pretty wild to me.

I'd be surprised if they have been 100% honest about ANYTHING surrounding this situation so far.

You know you are fucked when "let's deal with it in the same way as China" is the prevailing opinion.

The worst part about it all is that this seems to be the strategy:

Article’s a little outdated since we have 111 cases now. Plenty of cities are also implementing partial quarantines now.

I know that was not an update about numbers it was one about lockdowns, I try not to post numbers from CNN if it can be helped. Don't hold numbers against news sites CNN is always behind the numbers they are not a good tracker, I posted that for the news details not for the numbers.

If you want numbers we post from these 2 trackers that update faster than news sites.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
That's sort of what I was getting at regarding the news articles bring so positive - we don't know if a quarantined region is simply delaying infection or not. It's too early to judge success. I mean, sure, hard quarantine will obviously reduce spread for as long as the hard quarantine is in place, but it does not immunize the people once quarantine is lifted.

My area seems to have pretty much shut down in the social / school areas. Stores are still open. That definitely will slow spread too, but until we are past the hump, have some actual solutions in place, it's not over.

Things we also don't know are how these people who have been stuck inside for 6 weeks with no income, no proper nutrition etc will be treated by the government when this all blows over.

For some, 6 weeks with no pay would be absolutely catastrophic.
Many people will have existing health conditions and 6 weeks locked inside will have an adverse affect there too.

There are consequences for not dealing with the outbreak properly. However there are also consequences that come with a "stop it at all costs" approach.

Some seem to think that we're all going to be able to sit in our homes for 6 weeks, 10 weeks, who knows how long and we will emerge to a world without COVID19 and there will be absolutely not negative impact in the short and long term.

ExpandKong

Banned
Wulp two of our biggest clients are high end vacation/travel package companies and they’re already talking layoffs and if they’re laying off their own staff it’s won’t be long before they decide they can’t afford our services either...gulp.

In times such as this, its the least we can do

*pulls corners of eyes up* me sho sholly i kirred arr you glandpalents

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom