• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Sadly , better prepared than not ,is my motto
got some medicines for the kids and adults in my house, no I didn't strip the shelves bare I took one of each and went to two different shops getting one of the two tablets.

that way I won't kill the supply chain.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
So after slring break in Canada they are shutting schools down for two weeks.....but me being a teacher I still have to go everyday. I swear our superintendents are fucking idiots. No respect for teachers ever!

Ohio governor thinks it's possible schools could be closed for the rest of the academic year

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine thinks it’s possible schools may be closed for the rest of the academic year, according to an interview he gave this morning on "State of the Union."
"Absolutely. Look, the projections — and again, this is all projections, I'm just going by what medical experts are telling us. You know, this may not peak until the latter part of April or May. So we've informed the superintendents, while we've closed schools for three weeks, that the odds are this is going to go on a lot longer and it would not surprise me at all if schools did not open again this year," DeWine said.

Top US infectious disease doctor doesn't rule out supporting temporary national lockdown

The top infectious disease expert in the US did not rule out support a temporary national lockdown in an effort to curb the spread of coronavirus.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, would like to see a "dramatic diminution of personal interaction," including interactions in bars and restaurants, according to an interview he did this morning on CNN's “State of the Union."

“I would like to see a dramatic diminution of the personal interaction that we see in restaurants and in bars. Whatever it takes to do that, that's what I'd like to see,” Fauci said.
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...0-intl-hnk/h_52545f515fa7f712407dabea68d24792

I am not going to do well in a total lockdown but I am as ready as I can be

kiiltz

Just stepped away for a little Space X launch and Spain reports a spike

xtgpYTI.png

Spain is the new Italy for sure

BNO pls update already

Japan has a significant elderly population too but seem to be doing good (comparatively). Is this a thing of numbers not being reported? I’m disinclined to think nippon pride would get in the way of working against a global pandemic.

Japan has a significant elderly population too but seem to be doing good (comparatively). Is this a thing of numbers not being reported? I’m disinclined to think nippon pride would get in the way of working against a global pandemic.

I lost a lot of respect for Japan on this. They are still my favorite country, love the people who gives me a lot of hobbies and fun stuff.

Japan can't be given any respect on this because the story coming out of Japan even from Gaffers here is they are not testing.
They are only testing the seriously ill people. They set up standards for testing that are very high. They have been trying to save the Olympic Games.

They can't hold back the sick for long, they are going to have to start to put out numbers.

Last edited:

sinnergy

got some medicines for the kids and adults in my house, no I didn't strip the shelves bare I took one of each and went to two different shops getting one of the two tablets.

that way I won't kill the supply chain.

I started 1,5 month ago , if everyone did that with the info provided is would be no problem at all..

But governments kept people info starved ...

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
WTF is the point of wal-mart and grocery and reducing store hours to "stop the spread".

I shop late at night to avoid crowds. Forcing people to shop in a smaller time window only forces bigger crowds thus promoting spreading.

It makes no fucking sense.

It's not to stop the spread, it's to stock their shelves and to let their employees breathe for a minute without people grabbing everything in sight.

It's actually quite responsible on their part as it keeps their employees safe from customers who have taken to violence to get the last roll of TP. Sorry they're putting you out but unfortunately they have to think about their staff and their business and not your shopping habits.

Last edited:
Finally gave in to the hysteria and went for a 7AM shopping trip to the super market and stocked up on essentials to hopefully last a month or more for me and the kids.

Crowd at 7AM was about what you'd expect at 5PM on a weekday. Made sure to get some Guinness and Irish whisky.. Because.. Everyone was nicely behaved and the checkout lines were not abnormally long. When I left around 830am it was starting to get crazy.

No TP or paper towels in stock, nor ONIONS (??), nor chicken.. But still milk and other fruits and veggies and frozen stuff. Even had chicken noodle soup.

Got boxed milk and almond milk which stores well. Sodas and other fun stuff.

Wife still thinks I'm crazy but is starting to come around. It's all shit we'd eat eventually anyway so hopefully none of it was a waste.

For onions, root vegetables keep for a while, and tabloid media like that Dr. Oz dipshit claimed onions are "anti-bacterial immune boosters". Of course, if you are stocking up to stay home and social distance, why do you even need an immune booster in the first place? And who the fuck wants to eat onions nonstop while stuck in their house anyway?

When I stocked up last week I looked at calorie content when I bought canned and non-perishable goods, and got things that I would like. I got a mix of soups for variety, a mix of canned meats and veggies and mushrooms, some grain products and crackers that will store well, frozen berries, some meats to cook in bulk and freeze, oil and beef and chicken stocks, hard cheeses and some good quality cheese sticks, and water, soft drinks, tea, and coffee. Mostly restocked my normal store outside of the canned products and grains.

If you don't have spices, I also recommend getting some basic herbs and seasonings, especially ham stock for beans. A little seasoning perks up bland non-perishable food.

WTF is the point of wal-mart and grocery and reducing store hours to "stop the spread".

I shop late at night to avoid crowds. Forcing people to shop in a smaller time window only forces bigger crowds thus promoting spreading.

they have been saying it is to restock shelves and clean the stores between the mob rushes

Walmart shortens its hours as stores across America close their doors
From CNN's Nathaniel Meyersohn

As the coronavirus crisis hurts America's retail industry many stores are shutting their doors or reducing their hours.

Walmart, the largest retailer in the nation, is shortening its opening hours in all 4,700 locations, to 6 a.m. until 11 p.m.

The shortened hours will help employees restock shelves overnight and clean stores.

Other US grocery stores, including Publix, Giant, Stop & Shop and H-E-B have also modified their hours in recent days.

Late Saturday, Urban Outfitters said it will close all of stores worldwide until at least March 28.

Patagonia, Glossier and Neighborhood Goods have also announced their stores will temporarily close.

Hotspurr

Banned

I saw something about restocking and maybe wiping things down, perhaps avoiding their staff getting sick because that would obviously be a problem.
Ideally stores should print out barcodes (with time and date) you can take that would allow you to come in during certain hours so they can regulate the density at the store at any one time. Could distribute these online in a printable format just like for a movie theater.

Tumle

It was just a joke. You’re really floundering here.
Yea I was.. but it’s not the first time it was brought up in this thread.. I understand people want to find someone to blame and hey communist China is definitely a great target.. but when scientists say that they can look at the virus and pinpoint its origin, then I think that relegates any talk of an outbreak as a weapon, to conspiracy theory..
I may have over reacted and I’m sorry for that.. I just follow this thread to have some sound factual based news.. so I Might have jumped the gun😊

Jtibh

Banned
There's a super sketchy video going around Facebook (at least here in the Philippines) that bananas keep the coronavirus away. We should be eating healthy, but come on, that video is misleading.
Read my comment from thursday that there was no banana in the stores.
Now i know why.

There is also this dude here that pushes grapefruits.
Apperently its good fornyour immune system and its the best masturbation toy currently on the market.
I hope he knows i am joking about this.

It's not to stop the spread, it's to stock their shelves and to let their employees breathe for a minute without people grabbing everything in sight.

It's actually quite responsible on their part as it keeps their employees safe from customers who have taken to violence to get the last roll of TP. Sorry they're putting you out but unfortunately they have to think about their staff and their business and not your shopping habits.
Agreed. Good on businesses like Wal Mart for stepping up.

What's the alternative? If staff gets sick (and/or stabbed) and the stores can't be restocked, then you don't get to buy anything from Wal Mart at all, geniuses. It's a sensible move for the long-term operation of their business.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Read my comment from thursday that there was no banana in the stores.
Now i know why.

There is also this dude here that pushes grapefruits.
Apperently its good fornyour immune system and its the best masturbation toy currently on the market.
I hope he knows i am joking about this.

You will never take my grapefruits.

Hey isnt this your neck of the woods?

Louisiana reports second coronavirus-related death
From CNN's Artemis Moshtaghian

The state of Louisiana has confirmed its second death related to coronavirus, according to a statement released by Gov. John Bel Edwards.

The individual who died was a 53-year-old resident of Orleans Parish who was being treated at Touro Infirmary in New Orleans.

“As the number of positive cases continues to rise, we need every person to take the necessary actions to help reduce the spread of this virus,” Edwards said.

Phase

Man, I feel for everyone that's going to struggle to deal with this economically. I only work part-time at a health club and it's basically a ghost town now. Hours have already been cut. It's gonna be a hard road back for many after this crisis. I hope people are able to hold onto their jobs.

Stay strong fellow humans ✊

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
You will never take my grapefruits.

Hey isnt this your neck of the woods?

Yep it is.
Check this out.

nZZy7I7.png

This is yesterdays update .
If schools close it will be till september.

Also my daughters gymnastics is cancelled as they had one child who was tested positive.

cryptoadam

Banned
Yep it is.
Check this out.

nZZy7I7.png

This is yesterdays update .
If schools close it will be till september.

Also my daughters gymnastics is cancelled as they had one child who was tested positive.

And i have to assume this means no summer camp either. Kids gonna have nowhere to go for the next couple months.

14 days pay wont get anyone very far lol. But by september we might not have any jobs to go to anyways.

Is this you Smiles and Cries Smiles and Cries

LOL, that is one of those trackers I don't even use but most youtubers do in reports.

Man I wish I was 17 again. I would be smashing so much end of times puun-tang not posting updates here like a scared old man.
That dude is wasting resources he could be getting some Greta.

I joke I joke!

Bluntman

First death here in Hungary, a 75 years old man :(

32 infected so far.

Universities closed two weeks ago, next week are all schools.

By government decision the closing of kindergartens and nurserys is up to the local mayors.

Our small town is closing them all by monday.

Events with more than a 100 people indoors and more than 300 outdoors are banned. Shops, pubs and stuff like that remain open.

I hear our Czech brothers got it worse. When the Czech close the pubs you know something is very bad indeed.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Ex
And i have to assume this means no summer camp either. Kids gonna have nowhere to go for the next couple months.

14 days pay wont get anyone very far lol. But by september we might not have any jobs to go to anyways.
Exactly.
I start to get annoyed by all these cancellations.
No one knows how long this virus will stay amd to expect to stay home for months is insane.
If you cant pay me how will i support myself and my family?
I was all along warning people and taking the virus serious but i reached a point where is say i dont give a shit anymore just let me live my live and fuck off with your closures.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

My friend is a manager at a grocery store that is normally 24/7. They had to shut down at nights because they needed some time to get the shelves stocked and things cleaned. Christmas is normally their busiest time of year, but she said they are doing more business now then over any holiday. Also toss in they are not fully staffed since some people may not want to come in to work due to the virus.

TSA officer based in Orlando tests positive for coronavirus
From CNN's Greg Wallace

An officer from the Transportation Security Administration based at the Orlando airport tested positive for coronavirus, according to the agency.
“TSA confirms that one Transportation Security Officer who works at Orlando International Airport has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. The officer is receiving medical care and all TSA employees they have come in contact with over the past 14 days are self-isolated at home," the TSA said in a statement. "Screening checkpoints remain open and the agency is working with the CDC, as well as the Orange County Public Health Department to monitor the situation as well as the health and safety of our employees and the traveling public. We will update as more information becomes available.”
This is the sixth TSA officer to test positive — four are based at San Jose, one is based in Fort Lauderdale and the one from Orlando.

crap they found someone else to mess with about testing
Pence has not been tested for coronavirus

Sakura

I lost a lot of respect for Japan on this. They are still my favorite country, love the people who gives me a lot of hobbies and fun stuff.

Japan can't be given any respect on this because the story coming out of Japan even from Gaffers here is they are not testing.
They are only testing the seriously ill people. They set up standards for testing that are very high. They have been trying to save the Olympic Games.

They can't hold back the sick for long, they are going to have to start to put out numbers.
I mean, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes or anything, so maybe everything actually is under control.
But the latest update, says they did 107 tests in the previous 24 hour period, and got 63 positives. That seems very off to me. 107 tests is not a very wide net, and you still get 63 cases? Either Japan's got like the most amazing testing efficiency, able to pinpoint all the people infected, or there are a lot of people infected who are not tested.
I don't live in or near any of the areas that have a lot of cases though, so who knows.

Edit: Just looking at Tokyo's 3 new infections today. 1 guy started having symptoms on the 4th, and another on the 3rd. Took until the 15th to find out they had coronavirus. To me this is not rigorous testing.

Last edited:
I'm about to kill someone.

So I decided not to see my fiancée because of the virus since I work in a hotel and have been feeling weird lately. Now she told me she's going to church with her mom. Who is 60, has diabetes and is hypertensive. Plus she has a heart valve. "People are using this as an excuse to stay away from God".

WHAT THE FUCK

I told her this is irresponsible of her and if anything happens to her or her mother it's her fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom