• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymphae

Banned
Going off the narrative that Sweden made the wrong call can some one please explain to me the current data we are seeing?

To me it looks like their deaths peaked early and have been on a steady decline to the point of having almost none now. Also the daily cases have fallen off a cliff after having a steady climb.

XobEOXG.png

2dqwIqT.png

For the people that disagree with Sweden's plan how can you explain this? Have they stopped reporting their true numbers? Are they going to see a second wave? I would love to hear if I am missing something. To me it seems that Sweden made the best call out of any country.

Interesting

sinnergy

Going off the narrative that Sweden made the wrong call can some one please explain to me the current data we are seeing?

To me it looks like their deaths peaked early and have been on a steady decline to the point of having almost none now. Also the daily cases have fallen off a cliff after having a steady climb.

XobEOXG.png

2dqwIqT.png

For the people that disagree with Sweden's plan how can you explain this? Have they stopped reporting their true numbers? Are they going to see a second wave? I would love to hear if I am missing something. To me it seems that Sweden made the best call out of any country.
It’s simple it could have peaked earlier, so less dead with more measures, they didn’t, for a country that has a lot less people per square mile it’s high.
Their economy tanked anyway, and are now being withheld from neighboring countries, so also no economy gains, from for example tourists ,their neighbors are restarting their economy.

so yeah they did it pretty badly.
And what’s even worse you have asymmetrical people running around which could case a second wave , when winter starts .

Last edited:
It’s simple it could have peaked earlier, so less dead with more measures, they didn’t, for a country that has a lot less people per square mile it’s high.
Their economy tanked anyway, and are now being withheld from neighboring countries, so also no economy gains, from for example tourists ,their neighbors are restarting their economy.

And what’s even worse you have asymmetrical people running around which could case a second wave , when winter starts .
There is suspicion the new strain of covid19(d614g mutation) can reinfect those who were infected by earlier strains. So a second wave is possible, and this new strain is even more infectious.

sinnergy

There is suspicion the new strain of covid19(d614g mutation) can reinfect those who were infected by earlier strains. So a second wave is possible, and this new strain is even more infectious.
Spain did research with a large test group which started in April showed people that had immunity, which tested months later and had no Immunity anymore .. pretty shit.

so I rather choose to be on the save side and do everything to not get it.

Last edited:

pLow7

XobEOXG.png

2dqwIqT.png

What? Of course the numbers decline, it's not like Sweden didn't do anything or that Social dinstancing is a no go in Sweden. That'S not what people criticise.

I mean how you can look at Swedens curve and compare it to Norways curve and then say "Sweden did it better" is completely beyond me. Like you either have to be really blind, or stupid i'm sorry. I mean do you see that they have 5.5K Deaths? 20 Times more than Norway? While not having any Economic advantage at all?

PLS enlighten me why Sweden did better.GIve me an argument.

How how will they manage a disease of the long term with at least 35% asymptomatic infection? When will that stop being an issue? How do you contract trace for a disease that you can have without any visible evidence? Do you just cancel large gatherings forever? Mandate repeated vaccination for the entire population for the rest of their lives? I guess you can do that, when a vaccine becomes available. Although if it’s only 50% effective, that probably won’t be enough. Sounds like normal life is over for Europe for good. But whatever it takes to stop a disease with a +99% survival rate, I guess.

Scandinavia is a Peninsula, btw. That’s the term you were looking for.

You don't have to mandate a Vaccine. You'll make it avaible and give it primarly to the risk group. If the Risk Group is vaccinated, there is no need for any precautions since the diseases is pretty mild on everyone else ( From what we know ).

I'd rather have a Life with Social dinstancing, than living with fear that my Dad can die as soon as he steps inside a shop.

As it was with Italy, they took the dense population center / worst-case outbreaks and extrapolated it across the entire country.

I guess that's more sensible than using accurate numbers and admitting Cuomo / deBlasio murdered thousands of their own citizens through negligence.

CloudNull

Banned

Please provide receipts that the economy in Sweden shrank. I found a lot of knee jerk articles before the actual report that the economy was falling. The most recent article I could find was from May 29th stating that the economy grew.: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-posts-surprise-upside-amid-lax-covid-19-plan

The article states that a recession is inevitable which makes sense because of the global effect of this whole thing but their recession is expected to be less than most countries.

Sorry for the pay wall article. Everyone likes to say one thing but that data is showing the opposite. Just looking for the truth in all this misinformation.

segasonic

You are saying Sweden did a better job than others without comparing them to others which makes no sense whatsoever. Compare their numbers with similar European countries such as Denmark, Norway, Finland and Germany and it will show you that they did extremely badly. They have way more infections and deaths per pop. And their economy is in a slump just like everyone else‘s.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
You are saying Sweden did a better job than others without comparing them to others which makes no sense whatsoever. Compare their numbers with similar European countries such as Denmark, Norway, Finland and Germany and it will show you that they did extremely badly. They have way more infections and deaths per pop. And their economy is in a slump just like everyone else‘s.

Valid point. I see that those countries all have similar curves with a much smaller death per million but look at this article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53149762

Germany is locking down again. I would wager that several of the other countries will be in the same scenario soon. There is no hiding from this virus. Sweden made a choice and the odds are that they have dealt with the worst of it already. Locking down, reopening, then locking down again is no way to live and no way for a country to survive. Countries need to stay open while mitigating the areas that are more likely to be affected by the virus.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

XobEOXG.png

2dqwIqT.png

It’s already been explained numerous times. Swedish deaths exceed their neighbours by several factors. Their economic numbers are just as bad, if not worse. How did they possibly make “the best call”? If not the economy, who benefited from the Swedish model?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Valid point. I see that those countries all have similar curves with a much smaller death per million but look at this article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53149762

Germany is locking down again. I would wager that several of the other countries will be in the same scenario soon. There is no hiding from this virus. Sweden made a choice and the odds are that they have dealt with the worst of it already. Locking down, reopening, then locking down again is no way to live and no way for a country to survive. Countries need to stay open while mitigating the areas that are more likely to be affected by the virus.
uh that’s exactly what the article you linked says Germany is doing.

Germany’s numbers are way down, regardless of a few localized outbreaks.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
The American people have spoken. Don't believe the fake noose and their fear mongering.

Lefties want to go out and protest all day and night. Even with the rise in cases lefties have not stopped their protests.

Righties want to go to work and make money. They protested this before and they are going to continue doing it.

The rest of people who aren't political just want to go to the park, go to a club, enjoy the weather, see their friends and family.

The only ones who want to lock down is the fake noose media because that way you will watch them 24/7 and hang on all their "experts" opinions and wait for Chris Gaymo and Don Melonhead to tell you what you can and cannot do.

Pretty much everyone in the US is over the virus and just wants to go back to life even if it means with some mitigations and this new normal BS. The 1000's of people out on the streets in the USA day in and day out says it all. Its not a left or right issue, this is one thing the AMerican public seems to be in agreement over.

CloudNull

Banned
It’s already been explained numerous times. Swedish deaths exceed their neighbours by several factors. Their economic numbers are just as bad, if not worse. How did they possibly make “the best call”? If not the economy, who benefited from the Swedish model?

Germany contracted by 2.2% while Sweden grew economically in quarter 1. Also look at this blog: https://www.mgoblog.com/mgoboard/ot-sweden's-economy-grows-first-quarter. All neighboring economies had worst results so your economic argument is flawed if not completely wrong. All the negatives about Sweden's economy come from Jacob F. Kirkegaard, an economist from Washington. I am not familiar with the guy or his result but I cannot find any other articles that site anyone besides him.

You can limit the virus impact without doing lock downs. There is tons of evidence that lock downs don't work and usually create more problems. Suicide rates are one very small part of the equation yet they are on the rise. https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/covid-19-takes-toll-on-mental-health-suicide-rate-doubles/

There are tons of information coming out on the negatives of lock downs. The social and economical consequences are going to be huge all for a disease that kills an extremely small percentage of the people infected.

Ornlu

Banned
Wouldn't the Sweden strategy also rely on deaths spiking early (as more people get the virus), then dropping faster than other countries once herd immunity is reached? Thus other countries would have a lower death rate spread over a much longer time, and would eventually reach higher numbers?

So comparing current deaths in Sweden vs. neighbors wouldn't tell the whole story, as the early deaths are "baked in", with the benefit of the strategy coming later, correct?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wouldn't the Sweden strategy also rely on deaths spiking early (as more people get the virus), then dropping faster than other countries once herd immunity is reached? Thus other countries would have a lower death rate spread over a much longer time, and would eventually reach higher numbers?

So comparing current deaths in Sweden vs. neighbors wouldn't tell the whole story, as the early deaths are "baked in", with the benefit of the strategy coming later, correct?

Yes, after accounting for demographics and the like, that is what you would expect.

This may be why deaths continue to fall in the US even as case counts appear to rise. I say "appear" because we actually have no clue how many people got it, and even with widespread testing, chances are we are still missing a lot of them. But at some point you'd expect it to have killed everyone it is going to kill, although that may only arguably be true in New York, where Cuomo decided to put those people directly in harm's way.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
It's funny how Sweden is always used as the perfect example on both sides of the lockdown argument.

A crazy case study that is not Sweden is Japan.... I have no idea how they have the results that they have. The only thing that makes sense to me is that they had a different form of the virus. There is no way that their analog contact tracing is that efficient.... maybe I am wrong and they know something we don't lol.

pLow7

That would only be the case if After reopening, everything would start by zero again.
It's Not. Matter of fact, every neighbor country already reopened and the numbers are still really low. A Lot lower than Sweden.

segasonic

I‘m in Germany. We are not locking down again. If a county has more than 50 new cases in a week it gets locked down. Currently zero counties are in lockdown. We had a severe outbreak in the country‘s biggest slaughterhouse three weeks ago. It is now contained and new cases are far below the threshold again for the two affected counties. Tracing of contacts like we do now is not possible anymore once the outbreaks get as big as they did in March. That‘s why you need short but strong lockdowns until it becomes manageable again. The hammer and the dance.

today I went to the hospital to get my monthly blood test to see how I am doing on the new Sickle Cell medication I am taking
so my port had to be used to get my blood. Spiked a 104.2 fever again by the time I got home. My fever is lower now but I need to get my port removed ASAP.

after dealing with shivers and a high fever, these numbers piss me off

h1TCYUE.png

wtf is going on?

zxuDX3X.png

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

...sorry, had to snip the images for their massive size....

No, We've been through this before, and this is basic proven science. Of course masks and isolation work. We've seen it work in the past, and we're literally, this moment, as I type this, seeing it work in other countries.

It's frightening the types of antiscience some people are willing to believe. Please be safe to yourself and others: wear a mask, wash your hands. It's not a huge inconvenience.

pel1300

XobEOXG.png

2dqwIqT.png

Don't bother. They always just repeat the memorized "They have one of the highest deaths per capital so they failed" line while ignoring that the models predicted Sweden without lock down would have a minimum of 75k deaths and up to 100k.

I'd much rather be in a place where they got the worst over with.

Countries that have successfully squashed the virus like Korea....I don't know if I would want to live there in the future because whenever there is a new "spike" in cases the people there freak out and restrictions get tightened again. I'd much rather be in Sweden or Japan where they trust the people to use common sense.

sinnergy

today I went to the hospital to get my monthly blood test to see how I am doing on the new Sickle Cell medication I am taking
so my port had to be used to get my blood. Spiked a 104.2 fever again by the time I got home. My fever is lower now but I need to get my port removed ASAP.

after dealing with shivers and a high fever, these numbers piss me off

h1TCYUE.png

wtf is going on?

zxuDX3X.png
Dude we are back full circle here after 6 months , with people in this thread claiming it’s all BS and the flu and not deadly ... that pisses me off !

stay save mate !

lyan

That would only be the case if After reopening, everything would start by zero again.
It's Not. Matter of fact, every neighbor country already reopened and the numbers are still really low. A Lot lower than Sweden.
Until all border restrictions are lifted no one has really reopened, when adopted alone Sweden's approach is cruel with no obvious benefits.

n64coder

I'm not a science researcher or doctor so I can't comment on the rising detected cases and falling death rate and what this actually means. I think the death rate declining is a good thing because we're better able to help people recover than we did early in the crisis. But is it a good thing you get covid-19 and what are the long term health issues due to it? My friend's wife is a nurse who got covid-19 back in March and as of last month, she's still recovering and is not 100%.

Also, what is the utilization rate of hospitals/doctors? How saturated are they with taking care of covid19 patients? Keep in mind that if they're busy (not 100%), they have less capacity for non-covid19 issues.

sinnergy

No It is , because cases that are found when testing, increases, should be less, declining, and that’s not happening. They find more infections.

that’s what’s happens in other countries you test more but find less infections.

Last edited:

sinnergy

I'm not a science researcher or doctor so I can't comment on the rising detected cases and falling death rate and what this actually means. I think the death rate declining is a good thing because we're better able to help people recover than we did early in the crisis. But is it a good thing you get covid-19 and what are the long term health issues due to it? My friend's wife is a nurse who got covid-19 back in March and as of last month, she's still recovering and is not 100%.

Also, what is the utilization rate of hospitals/doctors? How saturated are they with taking care of covid19 patients? Keep in mind that if they're busy (not 100%), they have less capacity for non-covid19 issues.
Yup , you don’t want this shit, because recovery can also be a mess and lengthy.

diffusionx

Gold Member

The important thing to note is that the case count number was, from the start until very recently maybe, a total fiction. In the beginning, the only people tested were those with serious symptoms. Only in the past month or so has the testing infrastructure been built up to the point where basically anyone can get a test who wants one. So even though, officially, there are more cases, we really have no idea how many we actually had.

As for falling deaths, lots of theories, all probably have some truth to them, like more younger people getting it, better treatment options (ventilators were considered basically SOP in April IIRC, now proven to be a bad idea for most). In April, COVID was sweeping through nursing homes and killing like 30%+ of the residents. Thankfully that isn't happening anymore, largely due to rolling back terrible policies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom