• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Uh.

The Broward County order (which you wouldn't have read if you just get all your news from re-tweets) explicitly states that residents do not have to wear masks within their own homes. The highlighted text is stating that residents are responsible to ensure that all non residents, including guests, wear a mask.

Uh.

The Broward County order (which you wouldn't have read if you just get all your news from re-tweets) explicitly states that residents do not have to wear masks within their own homes. The highlighted text is stating that residents are responsible to ensure that all non residents, including guests, wear a mask.
Are you trying to say that’s really a significant improvement?

Sejan

Uh.

So residents of the house don’t have to wear masks, but non residents, including guests, do have to wear the, what other kind of non resident is there? Do they have to ensure that home invaders are properly wearing masks?

FatalT1

Banned
So residents of the house don’t have to wear masks, but non residents, including guests, do have to wear the, what other kind of non resident is there? Do they have to ensure that home invaders are properly wearing masks?
Yes. After you reload.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Contractors, technicians, plumbers, repairmen,etc.

Yes he died at home. I suppose he never reached the state regarding breathing in which he needed a ventilator.

He was not elderly, according to his wife he was 35, but I am not sure of the circumstances of his death, only that it was clearly from COVID-19. I spoke to his wife briefly, as did other neighbors at the same time, but as you can imagine she was a mess. I knew him a little, sometimes I'd see him out while we were both jogging or getting the mail.
Did he have any underlying health conditions?

llien

that sounds great, but why are they - at the same time - buying 30 doses of german (potential) vaccine?
Because better safe than sorry. It could also be very likely that combination of different vaccines brings better protection.

Better news:

A pile of BS.
Number of such people is very small.

The "true pandemic toll" is calculated by comparing mortality rates to previous years.
For UK it was 50k, while official statistic only captured 40k.

tenor.gif

Fuck, there no stopping this thing

You seriously need to read up on history if you think that is comparable. You can make your point without ludicrous statements like this, it is possible.
So let me get this straight. You don’t believe in the government policing people’s bedrooms. But you’re fine with them policing the living room. You people would make great fascists. “Public health” is a great excuse to force people to do what you want. But we all know the government never plays on people’s fear...

The point isn’t that people should or should have guests wear masks. The point is the government has no business making rules about what people wear on their face inside my house.

Last edited:

sinnergy

You guys act like you live in a dictatorship world , go live in China or in the time Of the world war 2 (I Know all about that my grand father was a world war 2 veteran), to me most have it to good .. These measures are only for curbing this virus .
My grand father would be ashamed how people nowadays act ...

keep your mask on , wash your hands, avoid crowds and when sick stay home as a family , and work as much from home as possible. Only together we get our earned freedoms back.

it’s that simple .

Last edited:
You guys act like you live in a dictatorship world , go live in China or in the time Of the world war 2 (I Know all about that my grand father was a world war 2 veteran), to me most have it to good .. These measures are only for curbing this virus .

keep your mask on , wash your hands, avoid crowds and when sick stay home as a family , and work as much from home as possible. Only together we get our earned freedoms back.

it’s that simple .
Wow. We get to earn our freedoms back. Haha.

diffusionx

Gold Member

it’s that simple .

Ok so now I’m starting to think you’re a troll. On one hand you say we dont live in a dictatorship and at the end you say that we need to do what the authorities say if we want to earn our freedoms back.

sinnergy

Ok so now I’m starting to think you’re a troll. On one hand you say we dont live in a dictatorship and at the end you say that we need to do what the authorities say if we want to earn our freedoms back.
Except I am not a troll .As it’s not the government that forces this , it’s the virus that causes this . Was it like this before the virus ? The answer is no.

so what has changed? There is a highly contagious and deadly virus , and the only way to overcome this is to follow the rules ! What’s the problem ?

is it so hard to understand or follow some simple rules ? Honest question!

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Except I am not.M a troll .As it’s not the government that forces this , it’s the virus that causes this . Was it like this before the virus ? The answer is no.

so what has changed? There is a highly contagious and deadly virus , and the only way to overcome this is to follow the rules ! What’s the problem ?

Have you ever heard of opportunist government people using a crisis (real or manufactured) to seize power unlawfully? There’s a reason why these lockdown orders were struck down every time they were challenged in court. So will the mask orders, I guarantee it.

COVID is highly contagious, maybe. Deadly, not really. We’re not talking about smallpox or the spanish flu. This response has been insanely overblown from the start.

Except I am not a troll .As it’s not the government that forces this , it’s the virus that causes this . Was it like this before the virus ? The answer is no.

is it so hard to understand or follow some simple rules ? Honest question!
You are a fine example of the state of the American education system as it relates to the founding of US and our system of inalienable rights. But please, continue to tell us how our freedoms of things like assembly and religion are dependent on our ability to follow the rules laid down by politicians. And if we behave ourselves, maybe they’ll let us eat inside together again someday.

sinnergy

Have you ever heard of opportunist government people using a crisis (real or manufactured) to seize power unlawfully? There’s a reason why these lockdown orders were struck down every time they were challenged in court. So will the mask orders, I guarantee it.

COVID is highly contagious, maybe. Deadly, not really. We’re not talking about smallpox or the spanish flu. This response has been insanely overblown from the start.
Yes must be a world wide conspiracy to enslave and suppress all inhabitants of our planet 🤣

sinnergy

You are a fine example of the state of the American education system as it relates to the founding of US and our system of inalienable rights. But please, continue to tell us how our freedoms of things like assembly and religion are dependent on our ability to follow the rules laid down by politicians. And if we behave ourselves, maybe they’ll let us eat inside together again someday.
Except I am European, I do like the US for vacations.

Chaplain

"Speaking with CNBC's Brian Sullivan, Oxford Vaccine Group Co-Director Adrian Hill says the Covid-19 vaccine he is helping to develop with AstraZeneca is "more than likely" to work and expects to have millions of doses ready by the end of the year and billions in the next 12 months." (7/20/20)

This thread is a gem. Almost everything stated by the WHO and by "public health experts" in the first 250 pages has been contradicted by the same people / organizations who first said it. And yet people want to parrot the official line as if nothing has changed since February.

Need to lock everyone down to flatten the curve *except for the countries where the shut-ins had higher rates of infections compared to Essential workers.

Still need to lock everyone down because asymptomatic and children can spread it to people *except this ended up being untrue along with many of our other best-practices aimed at slowing the spread

Okay but still need to lock everyone down because social distancing *except when political interests aligned with the people in power decide to riot and demonstrate in public, often 1000s of people at a time

Okay but still need to lock everyone down because contact tracing *except most countries had to revise their "First Infection" by weeks if not months, throwing off all their precious calculations

Okay but still need to lock everyone down so that we don't run out of tests *except for the false-positives and false-negatives from the very beginning, casting doubt on the accuracy of our worldwide numbers

Okay but masks are necessary *except for all the limitations and shortfalls of masks, documented from the start, to say nothing of the improper usage of masks causing more infections.

Nymphae

Banned
This thread is a gem. Almost everything stated by the WHO and by "public health experts" in the first 250 pages has been contradicted by the same people / organizations who first said it. And yet people want to parrot the official line as if nothing has changed since February.

Need to lock everyone down to flatten the curve *except for the countries where the shut-ins had higher rates of infections compared to Essential workers.

Still need to lock everyone down because asymptomatic and children can spread it to people *except this ended up being untrue along with many of our other best-practices aimed at slowing the spread

Okay but still need to lock everyone down because social distancing *except when political interests aligned with the people in power decide to riot and demonstrate in public, often 1000s of people at a time

Okay but still need to lock everyone down because contact tracing *except most countries had to revise their "First Infection" by weeks if not months, throwing off all their precious calculations

Okay but still need to lock everyone down so that we don't run out of tests *except for the false-positives and false-negatives from the very beginning, casting doubt on the accuracy of our worldwide numbers

Okay but masks are necessary *except for all the limitations and shortfalls of masks, documented from the start, to say nothing of the improper usage of masks causing more infections.

Best comedy I've seen in years tbh

pLow7

Isn't it possible to discuss things without using hyperbole? It's exhausting reading posts in this Thread because all you guys do is exaggerate. It's honestly really tiring.

like this post

Yea France has a bad history of bending over for facists.

Yeah, surely the people in France loved to get run over by german tanks killing thousands in the process. What the fuck does your sentence even mean? It's incredibly stupid.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
So a prominent health organization declares masks to be the “new normal”, yet I am supposed to believe if I just do what they say, they will pat me on the head and reward me by ”giving me my freedoms back.” Right.

BTW: all this time I thought the N95 masks were the best ones, to the point where for months they said N95 was the ONLY one that actually worked. Now apparently I am killing grandma by wearing that mask. But I am supposed to believe this is about “the science.”

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

We've known this for months, when evidence showed most new COVID cases were not the "essential workers" but people who were locked down. In a functioning system, this would be evidence that we should be encouraging people to get back to the office, kids get back to school, etc. In other words get people outside of their closed homes and into the real world.

In our system, this is evidence that we will indeed mandate mask usage in the home, demonize personal contact between family members, and even separate kids from their parents. Just wait. It's all for their own good, just follow orders and you'll get your life back.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Isn't it possible to discuss things without using hyperbole? It's exhausting reading posts in this Thread because all you guys do is exaggerate. It's honestly really tiring.

I'm not sure discussion is going to improve much unless we can all agree on a few basic facts which are somehow still in contention, the most important being that this virus is nowhere near as lethal as claimed in the early months. This just isn't up for debate, the fatality rate has dropped drastically. The reporting of cases, positives and deaths both, have been extremely liberal and deserving of extra scrutiny.

Masks help mitigate the spread when used correctly and with some distancing, but to what degree is unknown given how it seems so few people are using them correctly. For example, two people face to face with surgical masks are protecting each other, but increasing the risk of those at their side. Then there are countless examples like this where the mitigation offered by masks is completely undone by their actions and proximity to each other:

george-floyd-protest-de-blasio.jpg

Which is my biggest problem with masks: If any government official has done a good job informing their residents about both the pros and cons I have yet to see it. It hasn't been done on the national stage in the US or in Canada, nor has it been done provincially or locally here. "Wear a mask!" is like yelling "stay hydrated!" or "eat healthier!" - all three are simple messages that are easy to follow and, as the links explain, all three can get you killed if you aren't minding the details. Officials have the responsibility of diving into those details, something I imagine they don't want to do because it undercuts their mask mandates.

If anyone has an example of their officials treating them like responsible adults - giving them all the relevant info about masks and letting them make up their own mind - I'd love to see it.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So a prominent health organization declares masks to be the “new normal”, yet I am supposed to believe if I just do what they say, they will pat me on the head and reward me by ”giving me my freedoms back.” Right.

BTW: all this time I thought the N95 masks were the best ones, to the point where for months they said N95 was the ONLY one that actually worked. Now apparently I am killing grandma by wearing that mask. But I am supposed to believe this is about “the science.”
N95 masks are the best masks. That article is referring to N95 masks with exhalation valves (I.e non medical grade), which people have been saying we should avoid wearing for months. Quit being so obtuse.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

There have been a good few "jump the shark" moments throughout this whole thing for sure.

The grand-daddy of them all was how quickly we went from "if you are going outside you are basically killing people" to completely ignoring that for protests that ACTUALLY ended up getting people killed. Then as soon as the protesting died down right back on to "the right wing won't wear masks because they don't care about human life".

Avoid public gatherings. DO NOT attend public gatherings.
You can gather in public to have a protest though. No problem.

Especially outside of the USA.
You can't attend weddings or funerals or even visit people outside your home.
People shamed in the UK, Canada, Australia for going to parks and beaches and *gasp* sitting or lying in one spot for a bit.
Some dude in another country got killed by a police officer? EVERYONE OUT ONTO THE STREETS NOW!

I'm not sure discussion is going to improve much unless we can all agree on a few basic facts which are somehow still in contention, the most important being that this virus is nowhere near as lethal as claimed in the early months. This just isn't up for debate, the fatality rate has dropped drastically. The reporting of cases, positives and deaths both, have been extremely liberal and deserving of extra scrutiny.

Masks help mitigate the spread when used correctly and with some distancing, but to what degree is unknown given how it seems so few people are using them correctly. For example, two people face to face with surgical masks are protecting each other, but increasing the risk of those at their side. Then there are countless examples like this where the mitigation offered by masks is completely undone by their actions and proximity to each other:

george-floyd-protest-de-blasio.jpg

Which is my biggest problem with masks: If any government official has done a good job informing their residents about both the pros and cons I have yet to see it. It hasn't been done on the national stage in the US or in Canada, nor has it been done provincially or locally here. "Wear a mask!" is like yelling "stay hydrated!" or "eat healthier!" - all three are simple messages that are easy to follow and, as the links explain, all three can get you killed if you aren't minding the details. Officials have the responsibility of diving into those details, something I imagine they don't want to do because it undercuts their mask mandates.

If anyone has an example of their officials treating them like responsible adults - giving them all the relevant info about masks and letting them make up their own mind - I'd love to see it.
Resident are suppose to do their own research and made their decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom