• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a good few "jump the shark" moments throughout this whole thing for sure.

The grand-daddy of them all was how quickly we went from "if you are going outside you are basically killing people" to completely ignoring that for protests that ACTUALLY ended up getting people killed. Then as soon as the protesting died down right back on to "the right wing won't wear masks because they don't care about human life".

Avoid public gatherings. DO NOT attend public gatherings.
You can gather in public to have a protest though. No problem.

Especially outside of the USA.
You can't attend weddings or funerals or even visit people outside your home.
People shamed in the UK, Canada, Australia for going to parks and beaches and *gasp* sitting or lying in one spot for a bit.
Some dude in another country got killed by a police officer? EVERYONE OUT ONTO THE STREETS NOW!
Yeah to use dating parlance, these mandates are nothing but a shit test. They want to see who the sheep are and how far they can push it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There have been a good few "jump the shark" moments throughout this whole thing for sure.

The grand-daddy of them all was how quickly we went from "if you are going outside you are basically killing people" to completely ignoring that for protests that ACTUALLY ended up getting people killed. Then as soon as the protesting died down right back on to "the right wing won't wear masks because they don't care about human life".

Avoid public gatherings. DO NOT attend public gatherings.
You can gather in public to have a protest though. No problem.

Especially outside of the USA.
You can't attend weddings or funerals or even visit people outside your home.
People shamed in the UK, Canada, Australia for going to parks and beaches and *gasp* sitting or lying in one spot for a bit.
Some dude in another country got killed by a police officer? EVERYONE OUT ONTO THE STREETS NOW!

The Dem cities and states encouraged the mass protests because they knew it would be the only way they could justify another lockdown before the election. They don't care how many people they kill as long as it benefits them politically.

Belgorim

This thing about thinking politicians want to kill people, is that a US thing or a message board thing?

Here in Sweden we mostly think they are incompetent when they do stupid stuff.

cryptoadam

Banned
This thing about thinking politicians want to kill people, is that a US thing or a message board thing?

Here in Sweden we mostly think they are incompetent when they do stupid stuff.

How is Sweden? did you guys ever do any lock downs or anything? Masks? Want to get it straight from the horses mouth not some New York Times article.

All I see in Sweden is there was a small bump but cases and deaths have dropped off a cliff. Your guys said herd immunity by August or so, do you think you are there or the cases and deaths are just dropping from other actions.

Sweden has been crazy. Its looked at from both sides as an example on how to do it right and how to do it wrong LOL

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
How is Sweden? did you guys ever do any lock downs or anything? Masks? Want to get it straight from the horses mouth not some New York Times article.

All I see in Sweden is there was a small bump but cases and deaths have dropped off a cliff. Your guys said herd immunity by August or so, do you think you are there or the cases and deaths are just dropping from other actions.

Sweden has been crazy. Its looked at from both sides as an example on how to do it right and how to do it wrong LOL

Swedes are smart; they will generally agree with what comes out of the NYT.

Belgorim

Well, Sweden has been kinda normal except the work from home for a lot of people. I'm a teacher for older students and we had our classes online (though my school had a lot of the exams in the school building).

Even though schools were open the mandate was to stay home if you had any symtoms, so classes where half-full for the first month since a lot of stuff goes around here during winter season (nov-mar).

Since then the messaging is social distancing, travel only when neccesary and wash your hands. You can find the info at folkhalsomyndigheten in english also.

The biggest difference compared to normal is the 50 people limit still in place that makes it hard to have sports with big audience and concerts and similar activities. And the travel bans to other countries.

We can have funerals (had one for my grandmother) and weddings but 50 people is the limit. Some amusement parks have thus not opened.

The number of cases are falling, hospitalisations are down a lot and deaths are getting lower, probably because of a combination of immunity and outdoor summer activities.

cryptoadam

Banned
Just went to try and buy some Zinc and they don't have any LOL. Said they would call me back and they don't know how long its going to be. Asked if other pharmacies might have and was like probably not.

WTF everyone is going hog on the zinc now.

pLow7

Well, Sweden has been kinda normal except the work from home for a lot of people. I'm a teacher for older students and we had our classes online (though my school had a lot of the exams in the school building).

Even though schools were open the mandate was to stay home if you had any symtoms, so classes where half-full for the first month since a lot of stuff goes around here during winter season (nov-mar).

Since then the messaging is social distancing, travel only when neccesary and wash your hands. You can find the info at folkhalsomyndigheten in english also.

The biggest difference compared to normal is the 50 people limit still in place that makes it hard to have sports with big audience and concerts and similar activities. And the travel bans to other countries.

We can have funerals (had one for my grandmother) and weddings but 50 people is the limit. Some amusement parks have thus not opened.

The number of cases are falling, hospitalisations are down a lot and deaths are getting lower, probably because of a combination of immunity and outdoor summer activities.

So pretty much like any other country in europe right now. In parts of germany private parties up to 100 people and concerts up to 300 people are allowed again.

Last edited:

Belgorim

So pretty much like any other country in europe right now. In parts of germany private parties up to 100 people and concerts up to 300 people are allowed again.
Well, except for the schools and masks I guess. There is no distancing required in schools here and all schools can open now, even for the older kids.

Stouffers

Banned
Just put on a fucking mask you asshats. Why do some of you insist on riding the contrarian train over a fucking cliff?
SardonicAcidicFlickertailsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

prag16

Banned
Except without having done a cockamamie lockdown and deliberately destroying their economy. (Yes, their economy did get hurt too, but that's likely more because of the rest of the EU going apeshit, and how codependant a lot of those countries are.)

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Really?
Holy shit.
Man, there are 190 countries in the world, each with multiple subnational jursidictions (the USA has 50 on its own). COVID has been a thing for 5 months or more, so about 150 days. Assuming each country has 10 subnational jursidictions on average, that's 285,000 reports. The are 899 possible combination of numbers between 100 and 999. So yeah, its not surprising that many of those numbers have corresponded to a daily case count report at some point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Really?
Holy shit.
Man, there are 190 countries in the world, each with multiple subnational jursidictions (the USA has 50 on its own). COVID has been a thing for 5 months or more, so about 150 days. Assuming each country has 10 subnational jursidictions on average, that's 285,000 reports. The are 899 possible combination of numbers between 100 and 999. So yeah, its not surprising that many of those numbers have corresponded to a daily case count report at some point.

But you can do it even with 4 digits like birthdays and still come up with an article. No matter the combination. Even going in numerical order.

Shit is wild.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
But you can do it even with 4 digits like birthdays and still come up with an article. No matter the combination. Even going in numerical order.

Shit is wild.
It isn't. The probability of it not happening are like 0.00000.......0000175%, where "..." is another hundred zeroes. If you do it with 4 digits, its still 0.00000000000004%.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Doesn't seem all that far fetched... There are 720 different combinations of a three digit number. It's been 140+ days since March 1st. There are more than 150 countries with COVID-19. Within those countries, there are dozens of states/provinces/prefectures, hundreds of counties or equivalent and even more cities and townships. All of them are reporting new case numbers at least once per day. Local media is often reporting those numbers, especially if they represent a new high or a historic low.

Doesn't seem that crazy that every three digit number would be represented at this point. Even 4 digits is just 10,000 combinations, and that doesn't seem outlandish to me, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

sinnergy

and this is what most European countries did , even the Netherlands, but cases are now rising again . Because we are closer populated as Sweden ... so you can’t always compare countries.

the rules are simple but the USA dont seem to follow them.

Last edited:

Belgorim

and this is what most European countries did , even the Netherlands, but cases are now rising again . Because we are closer populated as Sweden ... so you can’t always compare countries.

the rules are simple but the USA dont seem to follow them.
Well, I do agree you should not compare countries that much. And yet Sweden gets compared all the time. I mostly comment here when people try to make stupid comparisons to Sweden based on flawed data and assumptions.

I am not convinced it is that bad in the states though, but maybe it will get a lot worse there. I doubt you can prevent the virus anyway.

I still dont believe masks work in a population either, for obvious reasons it is hard to do a decent study of it, maybe this pandemic can provide good data. Maybe I am just indoctrinated from the Swedish scientists though.

Well, I do agree you should not compare countries that much. And yet Sweden gets compared all the time. I mostly comment here when people try to make stupid comparisons to Sweden based on flawed data and assumptions.

I am not convinced it is that bad in the states though, but maybe it will get a lot worse there. I doubt you can prevent the virus anyway.

I still dont believe masks work in a population either, for obvious reasons it is hard to do a decent study of it, maybe this pandemic can provide good data. Maybe I am just indoctrinated from the Swedish scientists though.
You don’t believe in MASKS?!?!? What an anti science rube. What an inconsiderate jerk. You heretic. Masks are the key to stopping COVID. Just watch the news here in the US. They will tell you all about how mask wearing is the only way to save lives. Our high Priest of Science Dr Fauci has always said wearing masks is the key....

You guys in Sweden must not believe in science. I bet you’re all trump supporters over there.

2020 Science in the USA: not allowed to change insights based on new information, set in stone like the bible. Keep infecting each other and blaming Fauci !

Reactions: Alx
2020 Science in the USA: not allowed to change insights based on new information, set in stone like the bible. Keep infecting each other and blaming Fauci !
Yeah. Don’t blame Fauci. He’s the most honest guy on earth. Always following the data. He’d never lie or play games with the truth. The High Priest of Science is above all that.

“He also acknowledged that masks were initially not recommended to the general public so that first responders wouldn't feel the strain of a shortage of PPE.

... oh. Well he was lying to us for our own good. All hail Fauci. Man of science.

sinnergy

Masks work , Asia is proof , up to 70% less infection rate if both parties wear. Just today research here confirmed small particles stay longer afloat then they thought and recommend masks in bars and churches now .

they saw an increase of 30 to 40 times longer that airosols could stay in the air in a room.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Yeah. Don’t blame Fauci. He’s the most honest guy on earth. Always following the data. He’d never lie or play games with the truth. The High Priest of Science is above all that.

“He also acknowledged that masks were initially not recommended to the general public so that first responders wouldn't feel the strain of a shortage of PPE.

... oh. Well he was lying to us for our own good. All hail Fauci. Man of science.
Don’t believe everything, you are sentient so can judge what’s right for you. They did the same thing here , but I already bought masks in January, so I wear them when I think I need.

what I do agree on , clearly told everyone that there where shortages and make your own masks ... being honest is hard . That’s because they don’t want riots or a complete collapse , there is more into play .

have you seen what gatherings did to the overall infections?

Last edited:

Seeing how dumb the American public is lying to them is usually the best thing for the greater good. Like here where you are proven right that masks are working and yet you refuse to wear them because of a statement from months ago you disagree with.

Seeing how dumb the American public is lying to them is usually the best thing for the greater good. Like here where you are proven right that masks are working and yet you refuse to wear them because of a statement from months ago you disagree with.
Oh I wear masks. Legit hospital grade level 3s. Don’t worry you’re safe. But let me get this straight. You agree with Fauci that masks are the key to slowing the spread? He says so in the same interview where he admitted to lying about that to the public.

Don’t you think it would be a lot easier to convince people to wear them if he hadn’t lied about them to begin with? People rightly point to what he said then vs now and say they can’t trust the guy. Being honest is hard. But Fauci fucked up by lying about masks. Bottom line.

Now he’s running around saying New York and their 35,000 dead is a victory over the virus.

Last edited:

Belgorim

You don’t believe in MASKS?!?!? What an anti science rube. What an inconsiderate jerk. You heretic. Masks are the key to stopping COVID. Just watch the news here in the US. They will tell you all about how mask wearing is the only way to save lives. Our high Priest of Science Dr Fauci has always said wearing masks is the key....

You guys in Sweden must not believe in science. I bet you’re all trump supporters over there.
I definitely believe that masks actualy works, but that they are problematic in a general population since they rely heavily on the user.

Masks work , Asia is proof , up to 70% less infection rate if both parties wear. Just today research here confirmed small particles stay longer afloat then they thought and recommend masks in bars and churches now .

they saw an increase of 30 to 40 times longer that airosols could stay in the air in a room.
If Asia was a definitive proof then there would not be much ambiguity. I am definitely not saying they are worthless, I am saying they might not be a good utility in these situations for the general population.

I mean, it heavily depends on your current stance on asymptomatic spread. If you think that is a small number of cases compared to symptomatic spread (in areas where masks would be used) then there realy is no point in the mask if you just convince the general population to stay home at the slightest symptom.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That whole excuse still doesn't make sense to me considering the current recommendations are "face coverings" and most people seem to be using home made stuff, which was just as possible back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom