• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty Flam

Banned
any members here who actually got coronavirus and recovered?
I didn’t get it. My friend and supervisor tested positive though. He was having a bit of labored breathing, fever sweating it out pretty bad. He just has a cough now. I pretty much gave him all the tips I knew of so that he might recover quickly, and he did. He also knows a fair amount of remedies so that probably helped a lot as well

I caught a sickness right after the airline industry shut down. March 19th maybe? I had a light fever for a day, a very slight soar throat, for about 18-20 hours and then I was basically fine. Took like a day and a half to feel alright. Relapsed about 6 days later, same exact symptoms. My bro had the same little virus. And out friend who works as a nurse in a hospital had identical symptoms as us. But when I checked to see of I had antibodies for Covid-19, my test came back negative. But I also got tested in like May, but the blood test didn’t show anything

Do antibodies for Covid-19 not last or would they stay in the body? I don’t know too much about viruses, I’ve oh been keeping up enough to have a decent idea of how to combat Covid-19 / what to expect

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn’t get it. My friend and supervisor tested positive though. He was having a bit of labored breathing, fever sweating it out pretty bad. He just has a cough now. I pretty much gave him all the tips I knew of so that he might recover quickly, and he did. He also knows a fair amount of remedies so that probably helped a lot as well

I caught a sickness right after the airline industry shut down. March 19th maybe? I had a light fever for a day, a very slight soar throat, for about 18-20 hours and then I was basically fine. Took like a day and a half to feel alright. Relapsed about 6 days later, same exact symptoms. My bro had the same little virus. And out friend who works as a nurse in a hospital had identical symptoms as us. But when I checked to see of I had antibodies for Covid-19, my test came back negative. But I also got tested in like May, but the blood test didn’t show anything

Do antibodies for Covid-19 not last or would they stay in the body? I don’t know too much about viruses, I’ve oh been keeping up enough to have a decent idea of how to combat Covid-19 / what to expect

Nobody knows with regards to antibodies, and the antibody tests are not that much better than worthless at this point.

Antibodies are just bits of protein that will degrade over time and eventually become undetectable. The T-Cells that produce them are the main defense, these can live on for years as was recently proven in SARS patients from 2003 who still had T-Cells to fight it. I'm confident that having had the disease will protect you from an infection of similar intensity for a long time. OF course there will be people where immunity does not last or who are exposed to a massive amount of the virus that overwhelms them and these cases will be widely reported as a sign we're doomed.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Ventura county forcibly quarantined an entire apartment building because of three positive tests.

sinnergy

Ventura county forcibly quarantined an entire apartment building because of three positive tests.
Yup because where there are 3 there are more with Covid , lots more , better save than sorrow.

Yup because where there are 3 there are more with Covid , lots more , better save than sorrow.
Haha. Maybe we should line the positive cases outside, shoot them, and burn the bodies. Anything to prevent the spread. Better save than sorrow.

Im sure you’d say that’s too far, but you are ok with forcibly quarantining an entire apartment full of people, almost all of whom there is no indication they have the virus.

sinnergy

Germany and other EU countries already needed to do this ... After a about 2 weeks they could return to living . I don’t really think you 2 understand the severity the world is witnessing.

If it helps to save life I am okay with this , food they can drop down the mailbox. I’ll gladly stay put, and post on NeoGAF, seems to be no problem for you guys either 🤣

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Well, I'm sure that they were all boomers who didn't wear their masks, so they deserved their earned unfreedom.

segasonic

the US was doing really well until half the country decided it was cool, as we started to reopen, for millions of people to crowd the streets in cities all over the country and start screaming and yelling while packed together. Anyone who doesn’t think the current spike was caused mostly by those protests/riots is a fool. Not to mention to damage it did to the overall unity people felt towards following the rules.
the BLM protests in large public gatherings were wrong

but this happened before them

27326356-0-image-a-16_1587140073773.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member

Those protests were 20-50 people, and there was objectively NO spike in cases afterwards.

The BLM protests were thousands, tens of thousands of people, continuously, day after day, and there was a spike afterwards. Stop shilling.

segasonic

Those protests were 20-50 people, and there was objectively NO spike in cases afterwards.

The BLM protests were thousands, tens of thousands of people, continuously, day after day, and there was a spike afterwards. Stop shilling.
You are entirely missing the point. Your president was actively destroying trust and dividing your own people in the fight against the virus. You never recovered from that. This put you onto the path to becoming the worst country in the world in how you handled the pandemic.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You are entirely missing the point. Your president was actively destroying trust and dividing your own people in the fight against the virus. You never recovered from that. This put you onto the path to becoming the worst country in the world in how you handled the pandemic.

The President was right, the lockdowns were and are absurd.

The trust was broken when the same media and government leaders who advocated for endless lockdown dropped it the minute people decided to protest George Floyd. Bill De Blasio spent months keeping people from burying their own relatives, yet went to a George Floyd memorial service. That's when they lost legitimacy, and their response is further crackdowns and totalitarian edicts.

What the fuck does this even mean? That line is so dumb it could come out of the movie Idiocracy.

“Uhh it’s a fire. It burns no matter what.”

it means... lockdowns, quarantines, and masks are not going to eradicate an easily transmissible virus. Either it gets to you now or it gets to you later. COVID is not going anywhere.

Last edited:

If we’re talking scale and duration of protests, there is no comparison. I see like 12 people in that picture. I also don’t remember public health experts making excuses for why those protests were more important than spreading the virus. But I do remember this:

Also, Trump has been at least consistent, and I think mistaken, about his interest in downplaying the virus. The inclination to get by with minimal restrictions is admirable. But he should’ve been way more vocal about the small things people can do to minimize the spread that don’t require ridiculous lockdowns. Masks, generalized distancing when possible, getting exercise and improving overall health.

But what Trump didn’t do is preach about how anyone who doesn’t lockdown was a selfish asshole right up until a movement he liked better came along.

Last edited:

pel1300

What the fuck does this even mean? That line is so dumb it could come out of the movie Idiocracy.

“Uhh it’s a fire. It burns no matter what.”

Referencing Idiocracy when the only thing that really screams Idiocracy in 2020 is CHAZ/CHOP.
7ac

The way you try to downplay the BLM riots exposes you are just a partisan hack.

Do you even remember what flatten the curve was suppose to mean?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Further proof that everyone needs to be far more skeptical of the news and social media posts covering the virus as China has its tentacles everywhere:

The video from the Chinese state-owned channel:

I know this is from China, but if you said this was written or said by Democrats I would have no problem believing it.

For anyone doubting China's reach in media this is a worthwhile read:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
If my doctor admits in that same visit he lied to me about what I should do in order to make sure his cousin had enough treatment first, I’d find a new doctor and sue that asshole. Are you serious?

That's a horrible analogy. Securing masks for health care workers benefits literally everyone

HotPocket69

Banned
Are we really supposed to be getting another stimulus check? I see articles on my feed about it every week, but my friends and I think it’s a crock of shit and was one and done back in April.

cryptoadam

Banned
Interesting from the Lance article

The final unexpected finding was the lower frequency of critical cases and deaths in countries with a higher smoking prevalence. This finding requires further investigation, as the literature is inconsistent [
However, there was an interesting observation from a recently published paper describing 393 critical patients with COVID-19 admitted to two hospitals in New York City. The analysis revealed that only 5.1% of the patient sample were current smokers compared to the 15.6% smoking incidence in United States reported by the CDC [
The finding of relatively lower smoking rates amongst critical ill COVID-19 patients is due in part due to their increased age distribution, since countries with a lower median age have higher smoking rates [
Hence, the potentially lower median age amongst countries with higher smoking prevalence in our model may be driving the observed association of low COVID-19 critical cases and deaths with high smoking prevalence. A potential protective effect of smoking was identified in a recent evaluation of 17 million adult patients within the National Health Service of the United Kingdom, with 5683 COVID related deaths. In their analysis, current smokers were associated with a reduced risk of COVID-19 related mortality (adjusted HR = 0.88; 95%CI: 0.79–0.99)Notwithstanding these findings, more study is needed.

Smokers for the win. United smokers and laugh at the non smoking pleebs. We shall rule the post covid world sitting on top of a pile of cigarette butts.

That's a horrible analogy. Securing masks for health care workers benefits literally everyone
It’s a perfect analogy. You had a doctor lie to the people he’s supposed to be informing about an illness in order to make sure certain people were protected. And I am one of those healthcare workers.

You probably agree with Fauci’s reasoning, but healthcare professionals cannot lie. Ever. It’s always wrong and destroys trust.

bigsnack

So fatties basically.

Asia=No Fatties
USA/EU/Mexico=lots of fatties.

Brazil=FAT ASSES

Lets see how many people would be willing to live a healthy lifestyle.

This is the exact takeaway for me from this whole pandemic. The entire thing would have been a fart in the wind if we just simply took better care of ourselves. My symptoms actually start to creep back in now if I eat too much sugar. It's subtle, but I notice it about 24 hours afterwards: achy, run down, slight headache / sore throat when I first wake up. That never used to happen, but post COVID it's always there if I let my diet go. COVID might end up being the best diet buddy imaginable!

segasonic

The President was right, the lockdowns were and are absurd.
it means... lockdowns, quarantines, and masks are not going to eradicate an easily transmissible virus. Either it gets to you now or it gets to you later. COVID is not going anywhere.
Lockdowns work, unless you half-ass them. Masks work. Everything is better than doing fuck all and letting the virus rip.

And later, we will have a vaccine whereas you will have lost hundreds of thousands of lives that cannot be brought back.

cryptoadam

Banned

At about 13 mins basically says we won't erradicate the virus, we will have to learn to live with it, its not going away.

Seems like more and more are starting to come out and say that its here to stay.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Lockdowns work, unless you half-ass them. Masks work. Everything is better than doing fuck all and letting the virus rip.

And later, we will have a vaccine whereas you will have lost hundreds of thousands of lives that cannot be brought back.

No, they don't, and don't get too excited for a vaccine.

The lockdowns are going to do and are doing far more damage than COVID could ever do.

Last edited:

Gp1

So fatties basically.

Asia=No Fatties
USA/EU/Mexico=lots of fatties.

Brazil=FAT ASSES

Lets see how many people would be willing to live a healthy lifestyle.

Brazilian obesity and income disparity rate are comparable to the Mexicans rate.

But yeah... body positive movement died with a single stroke from covid. /s

cryptoadam

Banned
Brazilian obesity and income disparity rate are comparable to the Mexicans rate.

But yeah... body positive movement died with a single stroke from covid. /s

I wasn't sure if Brazil was fat too but I had a suspicion they were. Mostly what I know about Brazil is their beautiful female butts.

Its funny how the rest of the world doesnt have a problem with wearing masks, most countries are getting back to normal, yet the US seems to have a problem with this, protests, people saying masks are against their freedom acts, yet have 75k new cases per day, risk of closing everything again and even more deaths dont seem to change their mentality.

Mericans truly are one of a kind.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I wasn't sure if Brazil was fat too but I had a suspicion they were. Mostly what I know about Brazil is their beautiful female butts.

idk man it’s such a weird disease. We are on outbreak #2 now at work and we have had a few larger folk get it and they were just fine. Most had no symptoms at all. One of the covid survivors here was also a breast cancer survivor and she had asthma and she did just fine.

Obviously people should love healthier lifestyles (myself included) I just think there’s so much more at play than obesity and who dies and who doesn’t.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
It’s a perfect analogy. You had a doctor lie to the people he’s supposed to be informing about an illness in order to make sure certain people were protected. And I am one of those healthcare workers.

You probably agree with Fauci’s reasoning, but healthcare professionals cannot lie. Ever. It’s always wrong and destroys trust.

It's not a perfect analogy - It would be an appropriate analogy if Fauci was hoarding masks self servingly (so that he and his cousin can be protected or whatever in your terrible analogy). You are wrong to say he lied to protect only certain people - he said it to protect EVERYONE - and as a health care worker I know that you know this! Securing masks for health care workers protects EVERYONE. Stop letting politics distort your perception of reality and drop this silly crusade against a man that has earned himself a lifetime of unblemished credibility and integrity

We now know that in task force meetings around this time they were told there was serious problems with the lack of PPEs

(but also lets be real Noone is actually choosing to wear masks based on an interview Fauci did in February. sorry)

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
idk man it’s such a weird disease. We are on outbreak #2 now at work and we have had a few larger folk get it and they were just fine. Most had no symptoms at all. One of the covid survivors here was also a breast cancer survivor and she had asthma and she did just fine.

Obviously people should love healthier lifestyles (myself included) I just think there’s so much more at play than obesity and who dies and who doesn’t.

My 90 year old grandma with dementia who lives in a home got it, was asymptomatic and survived.

Who knows with this virus. I bet in a few years we find out that their is something genetic behind all of this.

Jooxed

Gold Member
My 90 year old grandma with dementia who lives in a home got it, was asymptomatic and survived.

Who knows with this virus. I bet in a few years we find out that their is something genetic behind all of this.

yeah thats where we are at.. I am happy to hear she survived. We are terrified of our dementia unit getting it because there is no way to really control their movement.

35 Cases so far and 4 deaths

1 because she refused to sue her oxygen treatments
1 was a diabetic non obese
2 CHF related non obese

All 4 in the elderly category. 6 Members on my staff that got it and 3 were obese including the one I mentioned earlier I was most concerned for them but not so much as a cough from all 6.

It's not a perfect analogy - It would be an appropriate analogy if Fauci was hoarding masks self servingly (so that he and his cousin can be protected or whatever in your terrible analogy). You are wrong to say he lied to protect only certain people - he said it to protect EVERYONE - and as a health care worker I know that you know this! Securing masks for health care workers protects EVERYONE. Stop letting politics distort your perception of reality and drop this silly crusade against a man that has earned himself unblemished credibility and integrity

We now know that in task force meetings around this time they were told there was serious problems with the lack of PPEs

(but also lets be real Noone is actually choosing to wear masks based on an interview Fauci did in February. sorry)
Unblemished integrity? Well... except for this one kind of really important lie that he has admitted to and we are discussing now. Let's recap it again. He said the public adopting masks is the KEY to slowing the spread of covid-19. He also said he LIED about the public wearing masks like 6 weeks before that in order to make sure certain people got them.

You're lost a very minor part of the analogy. I'll adjusted slightly so it will work better for you. He's a doctor who decided to lie to most of his patients about a treatment so that he could save the treatment for a group of patients he thought were more important. Except he didn't need to lie because most people don't wear hospital grade PPE. They wear cheap, cloth face coverings. Now either you think those cloth face coverings are useless, or you think Fauci should've advised people to start wearing them back in March.

And now, he's trying to tell that first group of patients (the public) they need to wear masks and trust him because he's a man of science who follows the data. You don't get that trust back. If you're doctor lies to you, even if he thinks he had a good reason, he's a bad doctor. The same applies to public health officials. It isn't their place to decide what part of the truth is suitable for the public to hear. Its their job to give us the facts. Fauci didn't do that. He's admitted as much. About the thing he says the the "key" to stopping the virus.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Don’t believe everything,

Amen. And I'll start with all the bullshit numbers I keep seeing of ALL these people supposedly dying from this thing.

SO many people in the UFC got it, SO many people in America got it (yeah cuz I trust the USA so much LAWL), etc, etc, but nobody seems to know anybody who has it, unless of course it's on the INTERNET, the one BASTION of truth.

It's like SJWs, they hardly seem to exist in real life but you'll see them all over the internet. Just like COVID, it seems to exist ALL over the internet. Random people on Facebook, Fortnite, YouTube, Twitter, you name it SURE get COVID.

The little NUMBERS and STATS are sure high. Millions of people have supposedly died? Yeah, I believe that bogus shit so much.

It's lies on top of lies on top of half truths and inconsistent and nonsensical guidelines. If this was really the killer virus they say it is they wouldn't be fucking playing games and flip flopping left and right over this thing.

COVID probably exists, but I'm positive the numbers are blown way, way out of proportion.

How many are trolling, virtue signalling, pretending to care, or just following blindly what they hear? Probably a lot.

mnLD2iv.jpg

They sure didn't spike here in BC, in fact the official word is not a single person caught COVID from all the protests we had here. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder why. Some crazy virus. Much deadly. Very virus.

DKeiUOB.jpg

9xzua1e.jpg

TsBg1oN.jpg

sk8Otdp.jpg

y4RcA92.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
Some interesting Fauci quotes

Q. How confident are you that the Chinese are doing what needs to be done?

A. They're doing things that have completely broken the paradigm of how you respond. They have been, in a draconian way, shutting down everything. They have locked down 50 million people, including the entire 11 million-person city of Wuhan. They will not allow anyone into Beijing unless they have a 14-day quarantine. They're essentially locking people who test positive in their houses. I mean, they're doing things that are almost unheard of in the annals of public health.

Q. Will it work?

A.
As unusual and extreme as it is, it might actually, ultimately, have an effect. There's this report that the number of new cases for the last couple of days in China has gone down. I don't put much strength in that unless I see it really start to come down and down and down. A few days of going down doesn't mean anything to me. But if it continues to go down, that might be a signal that they're having an effect of what otherwise would be extreme means.

Q. That would never happen here, would it? Locking down 50 million people?

A.
No, not a chance. It would never happen.

Not a chance it will happen in the USA he said.

bigsnack

My antibody test is negative. I was a bit sick in February and March and I hoped it was Covid-19. It's disappointing, really.

I wouldn't rule it out even with a negative antibody test. The results of the antibody tests are flaky either way, and most of the data out there claims that your antibody counts dissipated months ago.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
It's like The Walking Dead.

Fauci whispered in my ear that we actually ALL have it.

🤪

"Don't go outside, you'll kill someone"

"Stay inside. Save lives."

"New normal."

"COVIDIOT."

"We're all in this TOGETHER" 🙏🤝✊👨‍👩‍👧‍👧

All these fucking retarded buzzwords and phrases attached to this thing. People are really trying too hard.

So bored of the Stadia -- I mean COVID trying to be a thing. The only thing that's really a thing are the knee-jerk lockdowns and inconsistent nonsensical guidelines.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Unblemished integrity? Well... except for this one kind of really important lie that he has admitted to and we are discussion now. Let's recap it again. He said the public adopting masks is the KEY to slowing the spread of covid-19. He also said he LIED about the public wearing masks like 6 weeks before that in order to make sure certain people got them.

You're lost a very minor part of the analogy. I'll adjusted slightly so it will work better for you. He's a doctor who decided to lie to most of his patients about a treatment so that he could save the treatment for a group of patients he thought were more important. Except he didn't need to lie because most people don't wear hospital grade PPE. They wear cheap, cloth face coverings. Now either you think those cloth face coverings are useless, or you think Fauci should've advised people to start wearing them back in March.

And now, he's trying to tell that first group of patients (the public) they need to wear masks and trust him because he's a man of science who follows the data. You don't get that trust back. If you're doctor lies to you, even if he thinks he had a good reason, he's a bad doctor. The same applies to public health officials. It isn't their place to decide what part of the truth is suitable for the public to hear. Its their job to give us the facts. Fauci didn't do that. He's admitted as much. About the thing he says the the "key" to stopping the virus.

1. Stop saying "certain people" like its not health care professionals that are risking their life and the life of their loved ones every day in order to treat EVERYONE who gets sick. there's no conspiracy here, no matter how hard you try

2. He did not admit to lying about this, you are wrong. just recently he can be quoted saying this,

"I don't regret anything I said then because in the context of the time in which I said it, it was correct. We were told in our task force meetings that we have a serious problem with the lack of PPEs and masks for the health providers who are putting themselves in harm's way every day to take care of sick people,"

"When it became clear that we could get the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don't know they're infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks,"

"And also, it soon became clear that we had enough protective equipment and that cloth masks and homemade masks were as good as masks that you would buy from surgical supply stores," Fauci added. "So in the context of when we were not strongly recommending it, it was the correct thing."

3. you replaced your terrible analogy with another terrible one - because one group of patient takes care of the other one. Or, the wellbeing of ALL AMERICANS (in terms of infectious diseases) depends on the wellbeing of health care workers.

4. If Fauci had advised people to wear home made cloth coverings, people would have dog piled on PPE just like they were doing with toilet paper. It doesn't take a scientist to realize N95's are more effective than a bandana.

5. Fauci's job is not simply "to give us facts", you are wrong - It's much more than that.

6. Your grammar is terrible and brings into question your credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom