• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siri

Banned
Am I missing something here?
My link talks about lethality, yours about the stock market being in free fall.

Normal influenza doesn’t doesn’t threaten the populace of the entire world. Therefore economies aren’t sent into recessions as the result.

This virus IS a threat to the world - hence the reason we’re seeing these economic forecasts. This is unprecedented in recent history. No virus has ever had such an impact that the world’s supply chain has been impacted, but that’s a very real possibility now.

I’m not concerned about the economy here. I’m concerned about the virus and the way it’s spreading. How people can continue to argue that this is just ‘normal flu’ is completely beyond me.

(And, btw, worth mentioning here.... The New York Times is now providing misinformation routinely about many subjects.... it’s become a completely unreliable source.)

Last edited:

Sakura

I'm not saying the flu has the same death rate. The coronavirus definitely has a higher death rate, but it's certainly not even close to 2% or 0.2% for people in their thirties.

If you are a healthy person under the age of 40 and you do NOT have any chronic pre-existing conditions like diabetes, COPD or heart disease, then the death rate is probably somewhere between 0.001% - 0.01%.
We'll have to wait and see. As it is we only really have data from China. Interested to see what the over all results look like in Italy in a month from now.

cryptoadam

Banned
Anyone knows why are there so many Corona deaths in Iran?
Those numbers seem so skewed compared to the rest of the world.

2 possible reasons.

Iran is reporting other deaths in there. Want to get rid of someone, say they had Corona.

The cases numbers is a lie. Iran lied at first and they are too deep now to all of a sudden show a huge spike in numbers. They can't like about someone being dead, but who is sick its easy. But now there in too deep and they can't be like just a joke bro we actually have 3000 cases. So they just bump the cases up a bit each day.

A nice read:

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’
Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

Claim: ‘It only kills the elderly, so younger people can relax’
Most people who are not elderly and do not have underlying health conditions will not become critically ill from Covid-19. But the illness still has a higher chance of leading to serious respiratory symptoms than seasonal flu and there are other at-risk groups – health workers, for instance, are more vulnerable because they are likely to have higher exposure to the virus. The actions that young, healthy people take, including reporting symptoms and following quarantine instructions, will have an important role in protecting the most vulnerable in society and in shaping the overall trajectory of the outbreak.

Claim: ‘Face masks don’t work’
Wearing a face mask is not an iron clad guarantee that you won’t get sick – viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can still penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is the main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly five-fold protection versus no barrier. If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re just walking around town and not in close contact with others, wearing a mask is unlikely to make any difference.

Claim: ‘You need to be with an infected person for 10 minutes’
For flu, some hospital guidelines define exposure as being within six feet of an infected person who sneezes or coughs for 10 minutes or longer. However, it is possible to be infected with shorter interactions or even by picking the virus up from contaminated surfaces, although this is thought to be a less common route of transmission.

Claim: ‘A vaccine could be ready within a few months’
Scientists were quick out of the gates in beginning development of a vaccine for the new coronavirus, helped by the early release of the genetic sequence by Chinese researchers. The development of a viable vaccine continues apace, with several teams now testing candidates in animal experiments. However, the incremental trials required before a commercial vaccine could be rolled out are still a lengthy undertaking – and an essential one to ensure that even rare side-effects are spotted. A commercially available vaccine within a year would be quick.

Claim: ‘If a pandemic is declared, there is nothing more we can do to stop the spread’
A pandemic is defined as worldwide spread of a new disease – but the exact threshold for declaring one is quite vague. In practice, the actions being taken would not change whether or not a pandemic is declared. Containment measures are not simply about eliminating the disease altogether. Delaying the onset of an outbreak or decreasing the peak is crucial in allowing health systems to cope with a sudden influx of patients.

Womp, Womp

Last edited:
2 possible reasons.

Iran is reporting other deaths in there. Want to get rid of someone, say they had Corona.

The cases numbers is a lie. Iran lied at first and they are too deep now to all of a sudden show a huge spike in numbers. They can't like about someone being dead, but who is sick its easy. But now there in too deep and they can't be like just a joke bro we actually have 3000 cases. So they just bump the cases up a bit each day.

what you said makes sense since they last reported 523 cases if they keep doing doing 500 each day this week their numbers will not stick out so much. Wish we could trust them to be accurate though

tfur

Islam+licking+_d1cef4_7570893.gif

Sexy, sexy virus

It wasn't the angel Gabriel that spoke to Mohammed in the desert,... it was Satan.

:messenger_hushed:

ah, more complications oh boy, I had totally forgotten about that first flight from Wuhan

not gonna blame her they released her, they insisted on 14 days being enough CDC played those cards

LOL clown world.

An evacuee from China who turned up positive for the coronavirus after being released from quarantine over the weekend visited the North Star Mall before returning to isolation, authorities said during a news conference Monday.

The evacuee, who was staying at the Holiday Inn hotel near the airport, visited the busy retail outlet from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, officials said. She spent most of that time eating alone at the food court.

"There's less face-to-face contact," said Lee Jae-joon, the mayor of Goyang. "If you operate a testing site indoors, there is concern that suspected patients can infect each other in the waiting room."

maybe South Korea is Best Korea?
I love what they have been able to do with testing

cryptoadam

Banned
what you said makes sense since they last reported 523 cases if they keep doing doing 500 each day this week their numbers will not stick out so much. Wish we could trust them to be accurate though

I really think that makes the most sense. They lied at first and tried to cover it up. Now that its out they will just slowly bump up their case numbers each day to reflect where they actually are. As you pointed out they are reporting more and more each day.

ExpandKong

Banned
LOL clown world.

People don't have any fucking common sense. Like yeah it's mostly on the CDC for sticking to the 14 day quarantine when there's plenty of evidence by now that a longer quarantine is needed, but then this chick goes to the freaking mall straight outta there?

I dunno. I guess if the CDC tells you "yeah you're fine" you believe it. Probably really wanted to go get that Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection before all the physical copies disappeared lol

People don't have any fucking common sense. Like yeah it's mostly on the CDC for sticking to the 14 day quarantine when there's plenty of evidence by now that a longer quarantine is needed, but then this chick goes to the freaking mall straight outta there?

I dunno. I guess if the CDC tells you "yeah you're fine" you believe it. Probably really wanted to go get that Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection before all the physical copies disappeared lol

It is funny now that I remember the first CDC stream at the end they asked the CDC lady about the 14 days or 28 days in a question, they stuck to their guns on the 14 days ignoring the fact cases have been proving that 14 days is not enough.

Chinese lady going to the Mall after being stuck in doors is something I would fully expect

Can you imagine if that one guy that was coughing live on Fox news after they released him got sick? The one with the little girl and the bottled water smh

??? Vietnam has some magic silver bullet or they are BSng?

(likely to sustain the profits from tourism)

Two of the people previously tested positive for coronavirus, while two others tested negative throughout the quarantine process, the release said.

The two people who previously tested positive for the disease were released from quarantine yesterday afternoon, having tested negative for the virus in three separate tests, 24 hours apart, according to UNMC health officials. The two people who tested negative left the quarantine unit this morning.

These four Americans met all UNMC/Nebraska Medicine qualifications for release, which exceeded CDC qualifications.

yeah okay they got to go home sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom