• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
dralla said:
where do you buy weapons? I'm still using the starting weapons, 10 hours in. I've seen very little armor too. am I missing it or did they just remove a bunch of loot options?
You can't buy weapons, only upgrades and armor. You have to find weapons.

JoeBoy101

EmCeeGramr said:
Apparently he says "Oh yes... the 'Reapers.'" and even does FUCKING FINGER QUOTES.

because apparently during those two years you were gone, the council sent ships to ilos later and vigil never turned on, and with shepard gone there was really no evidence or witnesses left to show that sovereign was anything more than a big geth ship.

This is why from here on out, whenever I play ME1 again,
The council fucking dies! I saved their asses and this is my repayment? Bullshit!

BTW, Moridin's loyalty mission is easily one of the best written side missions, almost outright mission, I have done in an RPG in a long time. (BIG SPOILER on Moridin)
His mission involves a lot of decisions and discussion on the Krogan genophage. Turns out the Krogan started to naturally adapt past it and Moridin was the head of a team which modify the genophage to make it as effective again. This you all learn before going on his loyalty mission.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Been home for a couple hours, but I've only been typing up stuff to hand in tomorrow - I'm finally done, problem now is that it's 12:45 in the morning now...

And I had a long post talking about why I loved the way weapons and armor are handled, clicked on post reply, GAF decided to crash, went back, had to log in again because I did save the sign in (I wasn't at home on my own PC) and stupid Internet Explorer never even saved the post, unlike what Firefox would've done - I was pissed because of that.

Oh well, I'll post that some other time, time to get a few hours of ME2 in.

Dance In My Blood said:
It works, but it's essentially completely unusable for any tactical use. You scroll through every gun at an incredibly slow pace, and when you get to your heavy duty weapon you get a big speed penalty effect.

Yeah, that penalty is on the xbox as well. I assumed you meant 'no support' as in it wasn't used. AFIK, the penalty is because people were worried about how powerful some of the heavy weapons are.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EmCeeGramr said:
Apparently he says "Oh yes... the 'Reapers.'" and even does FUCKING FINGER QUOTES.

because apparently during those two years you were gone, the council sent ships to ilos later and vigil never turned on, and with shepard gone there was really no evidence or witnesses left to show that sovereign was anything more than a big geth ship.

Awesome!

Also Bioware writing is pretty bad (and simple) when it comes to anything political or complex. Or any organized body of diplomats. See Jedi, Council, Fereldan politics, so on. Even the dwarven nobles had moments of really? Just really?

Then again anything resembling a well done political situation would be too much for most people. The council was gonna be hated by most players regardless of them having good points or not because bros cant let the man keep them down in games. So its easier to make them jackasses. You are right, they are wrong.

DY_nasty

JoeBoy101 said:
This is why from here on out, whenever I play ME1 again,
The council fucking dies! I saved their asses and this is my repayment? Bullshit!

BTW, Moridin's loyalty mission is easily one of the best written side missions, almost outright mission, I have done in an RPG in a long time. (BIG SPOILER on Moridin)
His mission involves a lot of decisions and discussion on the Krogan genophage. Turns out the Krogan started to naturally adapt past it and Moridin was the head of a team which modify the genophage to make it as effective again. This you all learn before going on his loyalty mission.
Mordin singing may have been the best moment in the game.

purg3

slept with Malkin
The game shop place in citadel is so awesome. I just stood there and listened to the responses for like 15min. It's seemed like a dev just stood in a GameStop for a few minutes and recorded what the heard. The data protection plan had me cracking up. So many other humorous little things to over hear and see compared to the first game. Plus the environments are leagues better than the first.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
DevelopmentArrested said:
Am I crazy for thinking that Mark Meer as Sheppard isn't that good of a voice actor; some of the others like Garrus or Tali upstage him. Where's my boy Nolan North at!!
I just started a second playthrough as male Shepard and yeah, it just seems really out of place even with the default character. I'm glad I played through it the first time as female Shepard.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Am I crazy for thinking that Mark Meer as Sheppard isn't that good of a voice actor; some of the others like Garrus or Mordin upstage him. Where's my boy Nolan North at!!

Yeah, pass.

MMaRsu

Am I crazy for thinking that Mark Meer as Sheppard isn't that good of a voice actor; some of the others like Garrus or Mordin upstage him. Where's my boy Nolan North at!!

gtfo3bp.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I like Grunt the most. His loyalty quest was really....sweet, almost.

Mordin and his moral quandary are surprisingly deep for Bioware. I was waiting for Shepard to press a button somewhere and cure world hunger but it didn't happen.

DY_nasty

"I had reach, she had flexibility" :lol :lol :lol
K.Jack said:
Sorry, but a game which has these load times is not GOTY worthy.
Install it, watch load times shrink immensely, and love the fact the framerate and texture issues from ME1 are gone almost entirely.

HK-47 said:
Awesome!

Also Bioware writing is pretty bad (and simple) when it comes to anything political or complex. Or any organized body of diplomats. See Jedi, Council, Fereldan politics, so on. Even the dwarven nobles had moments of really? Just really?

Then again anything resembling a well done political situation would be too much for most people. The council was gonna be hated by most players regardless of them having good points or not because bros cant let the man keep them down in games. So its easier to make them jackasses. You are right, they are wrong.

*makes a bunch of crazy accusations and outrageous claims and demands that the people who are in charge of trillions of lives all over the galaxy do insane things that could endanger lives*

"Do you have any evidence of this? I mean, we'll do it if it turns out to be true."

*throws hissy fit about how they need to open their eyes, it's not your fault that all the evidence you touch ends up dead or destroyed*

"Well then we can't do anything. We don't live inside your head Shepard, we can't see the cutscenes you're in or the things you experience, you kinda need to prove these extraordinary things before we start a war or invest massive amounts of time and money."

*anderson and shepard sulk off and bitch about anti-human sentiment and them damn politicos and their sliminess*

FrankT

DennisK4 said:
Are you referring to the Xbox360 version? There are very short loading times on PC.

Game installed on the 360 the load times are really not that bad either, but I thought he was on PC. Could be wrong.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DennisK4 said:
Are you referring to the Xbox360 version? There are very short loading times on PC.
What, seriously? I'm on PC, and I'm getting like 40 second load times just going between decks on the Normandy. The same length for a respawn.

Help me figure out what's going on, please.
How do you go about enabling anti-aliasing if you have an nVidia card? I can't stand the jaggies.
Nhancer. Add the ME2.exe to the Mass Effect profile, then go nuts.

Akim

Banned
K.Jack said:
What, seriously? I'm on PC, and I'm getting like 40 second load times just going between decks on the Normandy. The same length for a respawn.

Wow really? I've never had a load time more than 10 seconds

Is anyone else bothered by Jacob's torso in proportion to the rest of his body? It's too wide and too long, but not overly thick, so I'm getting a really strong Gumby vibe from him whenever I talk to him on the ship.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Akim said:
Wow really? I've never had a load time more than 10 seconds
Alright then, pardon my mistaken criticism.

Could it have anything to do with my having just 30GB left on my 250GB HDD?

DY_nasty

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Is anyone else bothered by Jacob's torso in proportion to the rest of his body? It's too wide and too long, but not overly thick, so I'm getting a really strong Gumby vibe from him whenever I talk to him on the ship.
I noticed that too... The shoulder padding thing throws him off a bit.

K.Jack said:

Man that sucks, I had 5 seconds at most on the normandy, probably longest in the game was 10-15.

Furcas

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
*makes a bunch of crazy accusations and outrageous claims and demands that the people who are in charge of trillions of lives all over the galaxy do insane things that could endanger lives*

"Do you have any evidence of this? I mean, we'll do it if it turns out to be true."

*throws hissy fit about how they need to open their eyes, it's not your fault that all the evidence you touch ends up dead or destroyed*

"Well then we can't do anything. We don't live inside your head Shepard, we can't see the cutscenes you're in or the things you experience, you kinda need to prove these extraordinary things before we start a war or invest massive amounts of time and money."

*anderson and shepard sulk off and bitch about anti-human sentiment and them damn politicos and their sliminess*

Hahahahaha, totally.

JoeBoy101

I'm waiting for Zaeed to download right now, so I'll take the chance to touch on something that there was a lot of complaints about: Loot.

Don't believe the hype. Unless you're a major loot hound and you beat off to Torchlight, Titan's Quest, and Diablo (I mean that with love, I own them too), the modifications to weapons and armor are far more focused, interesting, and useful. The game moves much faster and more interesting because you don't have to run down every container in hopes of better armor. A huge portion of the loot in ME1 was extraneous and a pointless time filler, and now that's been removed for more content and a less backtracking.

Further, there are things to collect in mission. Ore, Credits, Heat Clips, Heavy Ammo, and Upgrades which keep that RPG feel to a degree without making it cumbersome. True, its not a devoted loot system like Dragon Age, but a rational loot and inventory system based in sci-fi is more difficult than in a high fantasy setting, and I think the one they have in gives enough of the feel without making it another issue of Ravager IV greater than Ravager II.

DY_nasty

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Man it seems like they took a lot of RPG out of this game. I am still loving it though. Much more streamlined.
Yeah. I wish they'd at least display the exact numbers on guns. I've began to lean towards the original pistol instead of the heavy pistol lately. I'd probably keep the heavy one if knew exactly how much damage it did compared to the other pistol. Many of the weapons are just left for your preference by feel though...

goldenpp72

Anyone have any tips on the boss in the first collector level? He keeps getting a barrier :/

Nevermind, got him, soldier on insanity is really hard.

Dennis

Banned
K.Jack said:

Maybe you need to defragment your harddrive or something?

DY_nasty

goldenpp72 said:
Anyone have any tips on the boss in the first collector level? He keeps getting a barrier :/
About the boss:
It'll keep coming back too. Spread out your team. Spread them FAR apart. Knockdown the barrier - it'll keep coming back, but what you want to do is attack the armor underneath so you want to take out the barrier as fast as possible to give yourself more time to work the armor. When he comes down, make sure you're nowhere close, reposition yourself and prepare to take down the barrier again.

Or just break out the heavy weapons :D

dejan

So I resolved the technical issues with my Steam version and could finally play ME2 for a little bit. I'm on my way to
Omega
and what can I say ... so far so great.

My imported Shepard:
masseffect22010-01-28025p2.png

Miranda's ingame model looks way better than i expected:
masseffect22010-01-280yuq9.png

Gonna spend some time on my
new Normandy
next.

Beowulf28

K.Jack said:

Same thing is happening to me and its pretty annoying.

MechaX

HK-47 said:
Awesome!

Well, with the Jedi, KOTOR I didn't have them doing too much beyond the rudimentary. Then again, the Jedi in KOTOR II might have been more stand-off-ish with the main character, but the Jedi in KOTOR II made some ridiculously stupid decisions all the same. Fereldan politics was just awkward at most points.
They kinda blew Loghain's shot of presenting a viable, alternate perspective on the grand scheme of things by sweeping most of his motivations under the rug.
With the council, I guess its just easier for them to represent a government that contains massive douchebags, making it difficult for most to even identify with them. Although, for every good counter point the Salarian or Asari councilmember made in both games, the Turian one always, always drove the hate train home.

I can't believe a dev can put out something as unpolished as Dragon Age, and then put out something brilliant like this... moral of the story: one game at a time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
INSTALLING NOW YESSSS

Asshole at EB didnt give me my Terminus code until I asked.

selig

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Install it, watch load times shrink immensely, and love the fact the framerate and texture issues from ME1 are gone almost entirely.

sorry for the question, but how do you install me2 to the 360 hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom