• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMaRsu said:
Really? Jack is pretty cool man.. :)
Jack sucks. She's all rage and pretty bland and is in the running for the worst character in the game. Joker, Garrus, Tali, Mordin, Legion are all far, far more interesting, far more complex, and far better characters.

Himuro said:
Says the Trekkie.
DS9 and TNG are awesome shows. Don't blame me if you can't appreciate them.

I really like Miranda. She is trully "perfect" (genes, duh), beautiful but really intelligent and ruthless Cerberus operative. Throughout the game you see she has no problems sacrificing others for the success of the mission. She's not just an eye candy.

Meh characters -
Grunt, Jacob, Jack

Zeliard

Himuro said:
Thane is probably tied for Jack but I haven't done his loyalty quest yet.

I haven't done his loyalty mission either, actually. He hasn't brought it up yet.

Huge honorable mention goes out to Mordin, too. Excellent character.

Swag

Castor Krieg said:
I really like Miranda. She is trully "perfect" (genes, duh), beautiful but really intelligent and ruthless Cerberus operative. Throughout the game you see she has no problems sacrificing others for the success of the mission. She's not just an eye candy.

Meh characters -
Grunt, Jacob, Jack

Miranda is amazingly boring, she's probably one of my least favorite characters right up there with Jacob.

How is Joker more interesting then Jack?

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
The best character in my view is Thane. I pretty much love everything about that guy - the voice acting, the design, his backstory, his species, his philosophy and outlook on life, his combat prowess, etc.

Totally agree... I'm just disappointed he was the last person I recruited (
except for the last guy, Legion I guess
)

JoeBoy101

tadcalabash said:
Just got done with Mordin's loyalty mission and was very impressed with how they handled that character. Loved discussing the genophage with him (mostly because I wasn't sure exactly where I came down on it).

Mostly was impressed by
Mordin's emotional response and feelings of guilt/regret at the end of the level.
Really felt it fleshed out the character and made me feel for him.

Agree with this. Mordin's side quest was, to me, the best loyalty mission because you equally learn alot about the character but also influence and see him change through that mission. Very well written.

Garrus' loyalty quest comes in second for being very interesting and the ending sequence of it. Garrus was fairly one dimensional in the first one but this mission and his character are extremely well fleshed out in this one.

"I had reach, but she had flexibility."
Best side conversation with the crew, evah.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
You wanna spoiler that shit Facism? I'm nowhere near what you're talking about or got any hint of that, damnit.

This why I try to skim through the thread without reading every single word.

Zeliard

Himuro said:
Despite all of this, though, I actually like the entire cast. Some are more interesting than others, but even the more plain ones like Jacob or Grunt have their moments.

I think the voice acting goes a long way into selling some of these characters. I think Jacob would be fairly boring except that his voice actor imbues him with a very naturalistic sensibility. Jacob feels more real and grounded than many of the others, and not just because he's human. I felt that way almost right away about the character.

Naix

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
"I had reach, but she had flexibility."
Best side conversation with the crew, evah.

Shepard's face after this was priceless :lol

Garrus was my favorite character in the first one and he still is in this one. I'm glad I convinced him
not to kill Sidonis
. Like Shepard said, it's just not his style.

Zeliard said:
I think the voice acting goes a long way into selling some of these characters. I think Jacob would be fairly boring except that his voice actor imbues him with a very naturalistic sensibility. Jacob feels more real and grounded than many of the others, and not just because he's human. I felt that way almost right away about the character.
This is why I didn't understand all the hate Jacob got. He is a really cool character to talk to. Sure its nothing great or original but the way the conversations flow so well, its really entertaining.

ultron87

Tali
tells her combat drone to "Go for the optics!":lol :lol Hell yes to another Baldur's Gate reference.

Edit: Too bad I will never use her because her skills are garbage.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I finally got to try out the game last night and there's one thing I definitely want to mention, I'm going to spoiler it just in case although it's really about the beginning of ME2 so there's probably not much that I would say not already known through the media, but I digress:

When ME2 starts up it shows the Normandy and everyone in their roles with that familiar music. It felt like I was playing the first Mass Effect, I felt instantly connected with my crew and definitely my character and then ME2 comes crashing down with the twist that the Normandy doesn't survive the mission and your crew becomes scattered throughout the galaxy. This has to be one of the best sequel openers there ever was, not simply because it was an epic opening, but because it instantly connected me with the original game bringing me smoothly into the second game throughout the opening.

I'm not sure if I worded that right, but that's really the first time I have seen a sequel impact me so much.

soldat7

Shrinnan said:
I'm not sure if I worded that right, but that's really the first time I have seen a sequel impact me so much.

The opening sequence was extremely well done. I got to experience it twice due to an early game freeze. ;)

LukeSmith

Zeliard said:

Really? When I met Jacob I thought, "I can't wait till I can sacrifice this guy like that Ashley chick. Make your time, chump."

Zeliard

LukeSmith said:
Really? When I met Jacob I thought, "I can't wait till I can sacrifice this guy like that Ashley chick. Make your time, chump."

I can understand that reaction if you stare at Jacob's teeth for too long. ;)

2 things I hate most:

1) cant get level 30 on first playthrough (new me2 character). fuck 120exp quests.
2) cant get a person back to loyal if you answer ONE convo wrong unless you have 100% para. ughhhh

soldat7

LukeSmith said:

6e3edj.jpg

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Himuro said:
Time for Samara.

IMO, what makes ME2 much better than the first character-wise is that she, Grunt, and Thane do act as "information" kiosks, but unlike the first game, the new characters actually have you going places/acting on the information they provide you, which provides a much greater sense of immersion then Liara talking about Asari Promiscuity aboard the Normandy.

Personally, She's probably my favorite of the new cast aside from Thane.

Plus, her "unlockable" ability is the absolute shit. Having for my Vanguard is awesome. Reave tears through shields and armor alike, then I just charge. Win.

Himuro said:
But you don't even talk to grunt in the recruitment quest. You get him on the ship. I'd probably like him more if he was active during my actual mission. That's why I like the other characters, because we worked together for this shit. With Grunt it's like, let's unlock this dude on the Normandy. zzz.

But all that contributes to his character. His origin story is so so awesome.

deim0s

Kagari said:
is there a specific bonus if I have a completed save from the first game?

Depending on your level, importing a finished save gives you a level or two (or three), credits and 2500+ to every resource.

Zeliard

tadcalabash said:
So I'm not the only one who thought his teeth looked too big for his head?

There are definitely some problems with his teeth, especially the upper ones. :lol

Himuro said:
That's something I really love about ME2.

In ME1, they're talking about their culture but in ME2 you experience it first hand, which is FAR more interesting and successful towards actually making me give a shit. It also single-handedly solves ME1's variety issue. ME2 has variety in spades.

So true, though I hope they go further with this next game. Male/female/young variations of all of the races (outside of the Asari), more alien architecture, and more context to how they live their day-to-day lives. Show more of their homeworlds. They've already nailed the various alien species that are in play, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of diversity and quality. Hopefully they'll just show us more next time around.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not a Jacob fan but he's at least better than most 'lead male' characters in BioWare RPGs, I think mostly thanks to having some kind of determination and pride in his dialogue and acting. He's not as bad as Kaidan, who pretty much always said the nicest possible thing in every situation, in the nicest possible way.

Going to sleep, clocked almost 20h over 2 days with this game. I don't even remember when was the last time I did that with any game (Diablo 2, I think).

Schmitty

Things I miss about ME1: overheating, weapon customization, and armor customization. I really hate how you can't buy weapons. Are there only like 10 guns (not counting heavy), in this game? BUT, the game overall is so awesome that I can overlook all of it.

I really am loving how you are one by one introduced to the old crew.
Running into Ashley on Horizon (?) was tense, and seeing Liara in power was cool as well. Archangel was a total surprise for me, and I'm looking forward seeing Wrex if he ever pops up

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
:lol at the friend-zoned Turian on Illium. Poor guy.

Schmitty said:
Are there only like 10 guns (not counting heavy), in this game? BUT, the game overall is so awesome that I can overlook all of it.

There are approx. 20 different weapons. And last time I checked ME1 had like 5-6, as all the AR, Pistols, and Snipers play the same.

Schmitty

Castor Krieg said:
There are approx. 20 different weapons. And last time I checked ME1 had like 5-6, as all the AR, Pistols, and Snipers play the same.

Yeah, but there's an intangible satisfaction of getting a new gun, even if it looks the same.

Pimpbaa

pringles said:
Same here with my female Shephard (posted on page 140). Love the way she looks and that's why I imported her instead of my 2 other ME1 characters who were both much higher levels. Can't really see myself switching back to playing Male, especially since I love the female voice acting better.

But what's this about not romancing female characters? Fem-lesbo Shephard is the way to go :D

I thought I read something about not being faithful to whoever you romanced in the first game will have consequences in the third. So if you are playing lesbo Shepard, I guess it's best to hold out for Liara for the third game :lol

Swag

End game spoiler:

Just tried to beat the game with the perfect squad again, ended up with Tali dead this time instead of Mordin. Wtf, I think my engineer's just suck :lol

Arde5643

Schmitty said:
Yeah, but there's an intangible satisfaction of getting a new gun, even if it looks the same.
You mean even if it's inferior in quality and plays the same as the useless ones you've been lugging around in ME1?

Oh gods, you're one of those people, aren't ya?

Schmitty said:
Things I miss about ME1: overheating, weapon customization, and armor customization. I really hate how you can't buy weapons. Are there only like 10 guns (not counting heavy), in this game? BUT, the game overall is so awesome that I can overlook all of it.

To be fair, there were only like eight guns worth having in the first game. HMW VII and HMW X. Also, there really wasn't any reason to ever switch weapons because you're likely only specialized in one, maybe two. Weapon switching is almost mandatory in Mass Effect 2 on the harder difficulties, part of the reason I think the combat only truly begins to separate itself from just being a better shooter than last time at Hardcore.

A lot of people seem to miss loot, but don't seem to remember that 99% of the loot you get is garbage and only really useful as gel or vendor trash, whichever one you hadn't maxed out yet. Each item slot had a manufacturer that was so much better than every other that even a low level item would not be replaced by a level X item. There are also some items that don't have any upgrade so you end up using Tungsten/Shredder Rounds VII and Radioactive Rounds III until the end of time.

Yes, I know the argument is that they could have made it better instead of axing it, but it's hard for me to miss something that sucked. Also, I noticed that the only games that do loot well are games that are only about loot. The exception for me being World of Warcraft, which a lot of people would argue is only about loot anyway, and not done all that well.

The armor and weapon upgrade slots were the ONLY thing I liked about the old system. The individual armor pieces, had they decided to include more than a handful in the game, could have filled the void of armor upgrades, so one could argue that they dropped the ball there.

I don't know about anybody else, but none of the bonuses were enough of an upgrade over the DLC armor to make up for the fact that all the DLC armor looked better (except Inferno, which has a stupid helmet). The ammo upgrades have been replaced with ammo abilities which are much less tedious to use because I would refuse to go to the menu to switch ammo until Insanity in the first game.

The weapon upgrades don't have some sort of analog, which is a shame, as it was done well in the first game. The balancing of damage and heat absorption with Scram Rails and Frictionless Materials combined with the old ammo system gave you the choice between being able to fire indefinitely or dealing loads of damage per shot.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zeliard said:
There are definitely some problems with his teeth, especially the upper ones. :lol

So true, though I hope they go further with this next game. Male/female/young variations of all of the races (outside of the Asari), more alien architecture, and more context to how they live their day-to-day lives. Show more of their homeworlds. They've already nailed the various alien species that are in play, as far as I'm concerned, in terms of diversity and quality. Hopefully they'll just show us more next time around.

They need to act on what Wrex said in ME1 and make it so they get rid of the whole planet of hats concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom