• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of picking this up on Steam, but I haven't played the first one. How critical is the story of the first to my enjoyment of the story in this? Also, will I be able to play the PC version with a controller? Or is the m/kb better (like with DA:O)?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Do people really think she looks that (MJ) bad? I think she's pretty good looking for a VG character aside from the occasional unflattering angle.
I'd hit it.

My Shepard turned out so nice looking, I'll have to take a photo of her one of these days. I've used her in both games and I love Hale so it's gonna be hard for me to do a new playthrough as Renegade Male Shepard. To me, my "Eva" Shepard IS Shepard and anyone else wouldn't feel right, so I'll probably pass up the chance to romance the female characters and do a Renegade NG+.

Snuggler said:
Do people really think she looks that (MJ) bad? I think she's pretty good looking for a VG character aside from the occasional unflattering angle.
I'd hit it.

My Shepard turned out so nice looking, I'll have to take a photo of her one of these days. I've used her in both games and I love Hale so it's gonna be hard for me to do a new playthrough as Renegade Male Shepard. To me, my "Eva" Shepard IS Shepard and anyone else wouldn't feel right, so I'll probably pass up the chance to romance the female characters and do a Renegade NG+.

Same with my (oddly enough) Miranda Shepard. Even the cover looks odd to me.

"Who's that dude?"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zzoram said:
Did anyone save the Council with their import save? How does that change the game?

I did;
when you go to the citadel you speak to them via the holograph, as usual, and its pretty much the same old shit you got from the original. Salarian is vague, Asari is cautiously supportive, and the Turian is an arse. Thats about it, other than some mentions of how "humans joined the council" bla bla.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
I did;
when you go to the citadel you speak to them via the holograph, as usual, and its pretty much the same old shit you got from the original. Salarian is vague, Asari is cautiously supportive, and the Turian is an arse. Thats about it, other than some mentions of how "humans joined the council" bla bla.

Did Udina show up at all?

Swag

Zeliard said:

I had Anderson be the guy on the council and he was
frustrated because they aren't helping him out, don't think they even want to acknowledge his authority on the council. Udina showed up and he's essentially Andersen's assistant :lol

JoeBoy101

Dax01 said:

All the loyalty missions, and all the ship upgrades. Hell, all the upgrades period. As to details:

I sent Legion into the Vent and had Garrus as the head of team 2. Then I had Samara as my bubble girl, and Miranda leading the 2nd team. Then for the final, I took Garrus and Tali (the old crew) with me at the end, which ironically, caused me to have the sliding scene saving her just like in the Launch Trailer.

Going to play with my Vanguard Renegade, but am going to try and slowly turn him Paragon over the course of the game. Either way, Vanguard's Charge power is fucktastically awesome. I would be further with him, but I keep replaying the intro. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zeliard said:

Yes.
He came in all pissed off he wasnt told about my return. Anderson made it clear he didn't answer to Udina. Udina got pissy and left.

Zeliard

Sebulon3k said:
I had Anderson be the guy on the council and he was
frustrated because they aren't helping him out, don't think they even want to acknowledge his authority on the council. Udina showed up and he's essentially Andersen's assistant :lol

Yep, that's what happened to me. That's what happens by default when you don't import, and also when you let the council die in the first game.

I'm just wondering if Udina shows up at all if you did save the council.

EatChildren said:
Yes.
He came in all pissed off he wasnt told about my return. Anderson made it clear he didn't answer to Udina. Udina got pissy and left.

:lol

What a bitch. I hope he returns next game. Bioware has successfully made a loathsome character, though he is probably too one-dimensional. All rage and hate, that guy.

Zeliard said:

He
He shows up after you first encounter with Anderson in the game, coming in the room so he could meet you and Councillor Anderson before you face the other Council members. Anderson and Shephard however decide not to wait. He comes in, late, surprised that you are alive. We learn that became an Assistant to Councillor Anderson (assuming you chose Anderson to represent the Humans. Udina's bullish persona makes me a valuable political ally to Anderon. His bastardness is still at fully fledged though

JoeBoy101

SteveO409 said:
I'm sure this has been answered a ton. I did all the loyalty missions for every crew member so far...i don't have the
geth
person in my squad yet. somewhere in between doing this,
miranda and jack got into an incident and I sided with Miranda. Jack became disloyal to me. I have 60% paragon and with one mission left...reapier iff. I'm assuming I still have time to gain jack's loyalty since I have to go through the Omega 4 relay? I'm trying to 100% the game the first time through hehe
thanks

Not sure you're going to get Jack back on your side. I managed to de-fuse that particular situation. As for
Legion, you'll find him on the IFF mission and will be able to do his loyalty mission too. USER ALERT: The IFF mission has many, and I mean MANY, husks and not a few number of scions too. Be prepared.

JoeBoy101 said:
All the loyalty missions, and all the ship upgrades. Hell, all the upgrades period. As to details:

I sent Legion into the Vent and had Garrus as the head of team 2. Then I had Samara as my bubble girl, and Miranda leading the 2nd team. Then for the final, I took Garrus and Tali (the old crew) with me at the end, which ironically, caused me to have the sliding scene saving her just like in the Launch Trailer.

Going to play with my Vanguard Renegade, but am going to try and slowly turn him Paragon over the course of the game. Either way, Vanguard's Charge power is fucktastically awesome. I would be further with him, but I keep replaying the intro. :D
Did you manage to
save Kelly and Dr. Chakwas?

Swag

Zzoram said:
I wonder if appointing Udina instead of Anderson if you let the Council die is any better.

I was wondering if he'd be more willing to help you out against the reapers, because the council doesn't even want to
acknowledge their existence

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zzoram said:
I wonder if appointing Udina instead of Anderson if you let the Council die is any better.

I did that and it didn't seem to help. It sounded like things weren't going to well with Udina/the humans in charge I thought that Udina, even though he's a dick, would be a more appropriate choice for that position than Anderson. I can't remember exactly what happened but he was a total dick to me.

Arde5643

Zzoram said:
Nope, the bastard's a slimy weasel.
He just sucks the new council's teats/cocks/quads whatever instead of actually doing anything useful.

JoeBoy101

Dax01 said:
Did you manage to
save Kelly and Dr. Chakwas?

I'm Commander Shepard, bitch. I don't do shit half-assed. :D

I know from the board here that Kelly usually bites it, so I'm not sure what I did different. Its possible that pushing the whole saving the crew angle in dialogue up until that point allowed me to save them. I lost Lilith though, Ashley's friend from Horizon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Bwahaha.

I put my Terminus Armour code on eBay today. Bidding hasn't ended yet, but it's already slashed the game price in half. :lol

What like 25 or 30 dollars? For a set of armor? If so, that's ridiculous, I got it for free and I don't even use it.

pringles

Snuggler said:
Same here with my female Shephard (posted on page 140). Love the way she looks and that's why I imported her instead of my 2 other ME1 characters who were both much higher levels. Can't really see myself switching back to playing Male, especially since I love the female voice acting better.

But what's this about not romancing female characters? Fem-lesbo Shephard is the way to go :D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You know, there's a lot about ME2 that I don't like. You can bring up the ammo, the lack of planetside exploration, the loss of deeper character customization, loot. But the Galaxy Map is what's really pissing me off. Feels like Wind Waker all over again.

JoeBoy101

pringles said:
Same here with my female Shephard (posted on page 140). Love the way she looks and that's why I imported her instead of my 2 other ME1 characters who were both much higher levels. Can't really see myself switching back to playing Male, especially since I love the female voice acting better.

But what's this about not romancing female characters? Fem-lesbo Shephard is the way to go :D

I tend to agree, but Thane is just too awesome. I'd go gay for Thane. Or, fish-gay. Or whatever gay it is to give Thane some loving.

Swag

Facism said:
All of mine got out alive.

For the life of me I can't
get Mordin to live, he always dies if I don't bring him to fight the Terminator :lol

Himuro said:
Hmmm.

Spend hours doing monotonous, boring probing or get instant results via cheating?

Also, I really like what they've done to Liara and Tali's characters. They're no longer naive, and Liara's case, no longer timid. She is born again hard. Make Liara a squad mate in ME3, she's not longer a wimp or the most boring character in the ME universe. That role belongs to Grunt now.

It'll artificially inflate you play time though ;[. You think Jacob is more interesting then Grunt?

MMaRsu

Himuro said:
Hmmm.

Spend hours doing monotonous, boring probing or get instant results via cheating?

Also, I really like what they've done to Liara and Tali's characters. They're no longer naive, and Liara's case, no longer timid. She is born again hard. Make Liara a squad mate in ME3, she's not longer a wimp or the most boring character in the ME universe. That role belongs to Grunt now.

Yeah Grunt is boring as fuck. WHYYYY

Snuggler said:
What like 25 or 30 dollars? For a set of armor? If so, that's ridiculous, I got it for free and I don't even use it.
I've seen it go for $40 on US eBay. People are just nuts.

It's like a Barbie dream mansion with 4 floors, Barbie doll + friends, Barbie hatchback, Barbie horse... and you get a tiny pair of MEGA EXCLUSIVE DELUX BARBIE SHOES with it for pre-ordering. IE, total insignificant shit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
pringles said:

ME2 allows cross-species fornication but not same sex. The only female character I'd like to romance is Tali but I guess Garrus or Thane will do even though they're kind of gross looking. Garrus is just kind of scary
especially with his crispy face
and I'm pretty sure that Thane has gills.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
JoeBoy101 said:
I'm Commander Shepard, bitch. I don't do shit half-assed. :D

I know from the board here that Kelly usually bites it, so I'm not sure what I did different. Its possible that pushing the whole saving the crew angle in dialogue up until that point allowed me to save them. I lost Lilith though, Ashley's friend from Horizon.

It's time controlled. The longer you take after the
IFF mission
, the less likely
survival
is.

Thanks to those who pointed out the pendant thing, I had completely forgotten that it was in the room where you fight the "boss", which was why I kept restarting looking for it in the earlier areas.

Hmm...the only thing I don't like besides scanning is the complete lack of armor, and to a lesser extent, weapons.

Granted, Mass Effect had too many throwaway ones, but having only one or two options for your armor besides your basic N7 armor, IMO, went a bit too far.

I can understand it being part of the streamlined process, and because of that, there weren't a ton of options that they could use without using similar effects, but I would have liked to be able to do a specific "power damage" set, for example.

That role belongs to Grunt now.

I liked Grunt, he's just a big kid who just happens to be capable of wielding a super huge shotgun.

I really liked Liara's section (which you can apparently miss) where she tells you
She brought you back because she couldn't let you go.
If you hadn't read the comics, some of her hostility wouldn't have been as easy accept.

Macmanus

Himuro said:
Hmmm.

Given Tali's background from the first game, I found her naïveté to be at a completely appropriate level. Her initiation into the squad painted her as a stereotypical pleb to be saved, but beyond that she came off as one of the more intelligent members of Shephard's crew.

On a completely separate note, I really can't stand Shepard's male voice acting. It falls so flat against all these professionals. Is the female version worth restarting and losing my saved game data for? It's easily my biggest complaint against what is swiftly becoming my favorite game of all time.

I'm surprised at the love for Jack. Her forced XTREME R4GE personality is pretty annoying
. I couldn't really be arsed to care about her situation during her loyalty mission since I found her so unappealing anyway, gladly took Miranda's side during their tussle.
Haven't even so much at glanced at her since, lulz.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's time controlled.

Wait...so if I complete that mission and I don't
hurry up and finish the game I'll be more likely to lose team members?
That sucks, I was gonna do it tonight for the last recruit but I better hold off until I'm done with everything else.

On a completely separate note, I really can't stand Shepard's male voice acting. It falls so flat against all these professionals. Is the female version worth restarting and losing my saved game data for? It's easily my biggest complaint against what is swiftly becoming my favorite game of all time.

I would say so. In my opinion, Jen Shale as Shepard is one of the better lead actor performances in a video game. It really does make the character a lot stronger, I couldn't do it any other way.

Atleast tell me I can seduce Joker.

I don't think he can have sex due to his Avian Bone Syndrome.

JoeBoy101

Himuro said:
Hmmm.

Yeah, but I worry for Liara.
I worry she's getting a little too evil/renegade for my good guy, and he even stayed true to her through his one, despite the magnetic efforts of Miranda booty. When I saw dat ass in the black leather alternative costume, oy vey. Still, I'm thinking she will be back for 3 and her character will have a fairly prominent role, if not an actual character (I hope).

pringles

Snuggler said:
ME2 allows cross-species fornication but not same sex.
whaaaa...?? that sucks. then what was all that flirting by Kelly Chambers about?? Tease. I thought I read somewhere that you could go all Brokeback in this game with a male character?

Atleast tell me I can seduce Joker.

MMaRsu

Himuro said:
I really liked Grunt during his loyalty mission, but that was really it.

Jack is my favorite character in ME2.

Jack is lovely, but Thane is obviously cooler. I mean he has a really awesome backstory. But then again so does Jack, and she's badass..

Dax01 said:
Confirmed: You have no taste.

Really? Jack is pretty cool man.. :)

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Just got done with Mordin's loyalty mission and was very impressed with how they handled that character. Loved discussing the genophage with him (mostly because I wasn't sure exactly where I came down on it).

Mostly was impressed by
Mordin's emotional response and feelings of guilt/regret at the end of the level.
Really felt it fleshed out the character and made me feel for him.

Zeliard

Himuro said:
Grunt is pretty plain, but I guess I'm giving Jacob some points because he's black and it's rare to see a black character in a game that doesn't speak ebonics.

Miranda's disappointing too but she's not boring.

I'd say out of ME2's cast Jack, Garrus, Thane, and Tali are cool. Miranda slightly less so, but then I'm still not end game. Jacob, Grunt and arguably Zaeed (since he's a dlc exclusive character he may not count...but then, Shale in DA:O is really interesting) are all boring.

Zaeed is both great and disappointing. The voice actor and character design are both simply phenomenal, but the character has also blatantly been short-changed relative to the others. You can't engage in any dialogue with him ever (such as on the ship) other than during his loyalty mission, so it's like, fuck. Character-building in Mass Effect is done almost solely through dialogue, so that kinda screws Zaeed up to some degree.

I still use him all the time, though. His comments during some missions are pretty amusing, and he occasionally engages in dialogue with Thane, which is always great but very rarely happens.

The best character in my view is Thane. I pretty much love everything about that guy - the voice acting, the design, his backstory, his species, his philosophy and outlook on life, his combat prowess, etc. I still haven't gotten
Legion or Samara
, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom