• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
duk said:
hmmm now a uber nub question, must i play the first to get the most out of the 2nd

I would say 'definitely'. While 2 is a massive improvement, the story builds upon everything set up in the first game. Not to mention the fact that a big part of the game is importing your save file and having your decisions from the first game carry over to the second game.

SlickVic said:
I was under the impression that if you lose loyalty after completing a loyalty mission, you just needed to use your paragon conversation skills to bring it back up. If not, really seems like a pain to keep everyone loyal for the final mission. But I guess it is supposed to be difficult.

Jack is the only one who isn't loyal to me :( .. I defended Miranda instead of her and she got mad LOL

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Jooolieeezy said:
How do you use spoiler tags ?
You can add this to your browser: to get the three extra options.

SlickVic said:
Wow that "set core affinity to 1 then back to 2 immediately" trick really works on the PC version. Just went from the Normandy taking 40 sec+ to load to under 5 seconds. :D
Kinda curious why switching the core affinity for a second fixes the problem but I'm very grateful there's such an easy solution to fix it.
Not sure if you have to set it back to use the two cores, but yeah this issue affects quite a few games, I hope they patch this one soon though.

Swag

So earlier I read that people were doing "N7 Missions" How do I get those to start? Don't have anything in my quest log for them

Xevren

Sebulon3k said:
So earlier I read that people were doing "N7 Missions" How do I get those to start? Don't have anything in my quest log for them

Some just involve you going to a certain planet and will trigger when you scan and throw a probe on it. They are pretty neat, some even have multiple quests linked to it.

I am having major issues with ME2 on PC. It crashed on me last night after playing with no issue for the first hour. I had just got aboard the Normandy and clicked save. As soon as I did that the sound started looping, screen went blank and my graphics card fan kicked up to 100%. I thought that my graphics card could have been overheating so I turned up the fan speed.

Anyway, started it up tonight and talked to some people in the Normandy and clicked save. It did the same thing. After booting up again, I tried disabling AA and setting cinematic lights to default and it got worse. Now it is freezing once I start walking around.

I turned my PC off and then back on to try again. This time I started walking around and the thing rebooted itself.... WTF is going on?! Anyone else having any major crashes similar to mine?

Swag

Xevren said:
Some just involve you going to a certain planet and will trigger when you scan and throw a probe on it. They are pretty neat, some even have multiple quests linked to it.

I've scanned every planet for anomalies but I haven't gotten any N7 missions, what exactly do you do for them?

Rhino

H O L Y S H I T.

Just finished the best game I've played since the original Metal Gear Solid.
and I managed to
Keep allll my crew alive on the first run. As well as hook up with Tali :D

Now I need Mass Effect 3. Come on Bioware...get to work!

Edit: I AM KROGAAAAN!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wish Bioware would let you see your characters/stats on their stupid social site like with Dragon Age, I'd like to have my Shep as an avatar and stuff.

SlickVic

hateradio said:
Not sure if you have to set it back to use the two cores, but yeah this issue affects quite a few games, I hope they patch this one soon though.

Well might as well; it just takes another second to set it back before alt-tabbing into the game again. Can't imagine the game running too well on 1 core with my processor.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've been setting mine back to two cores, lucky ME2 alt+tab is a very smooth experience, not like ME1 where you had to hope and keep your fingers crossed that it did not crash.

I ended up playing it windowed in the end heh.

duk said:
hmmm now a uber nub question, must i play the first to get the most out of the 2nd

Yes. In fact, it's pretty much a requirement. You won't regret it, as Mass Effect, as a whole, is just mesmerizingly good. :)

I'm about 10 hours in on my first play-through of the second installment, and suffice to say that I'm loving it.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm a little disappointed in the number of weapons i'm getting. I knew it was scaled back from the last game, but not to this extent. Getting new weapons seems like a slow drip. Will more weapons start coming up later in the game and maybe in new game +? Or is this pretty much the way it's gonna be for the entire game.

Dresden

God, so many people have finished the game already. :lol

Loving the Vanguard so far. While my Sentinel was definitely more durable and versatile, with maxed out Tech Armor, Heavy Warp, and Heavy Overload(
along with the assault rifle bonus from the collector ship
), there's something satisfying about ripping down someone's shield, then charging across to smack him with a heavy Charge, time slowing down, me feeding a round into his face--so awesome.

Shockwave is incredible, as well. Shit goes through cover. And I just realized that despite Charge wiping out the graphics for Fortification, they stack!

Xevren

ezekial45 said:
I'm a little disappointed in the number of weapons i'm getting. I knew it was scaled back from the last game, but not to this extent. Getting new weapons seems like a slow drip. Will more weapons start coming up later in the game and maybe in new game +? Or is this pretty much the way it's gonna be for the entire game.

Pretty much all there is. Isn't that many really.

Dresden

Himuro said:
SAMARA LOYALTY QUEST SPOILER

Holy shit! I killed Samara just to see what happens and Morinth really joins you? Does this have any real ramifications to the ending? I have a save right when you talk to Morinth in her apartment, I just need to know!
...wait, wut?

I need to find a save close to that timeframe and reload... goddamn.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Himuro said:
SAMARA LOYALTY QUEST SPOILER

Holy shit! I killed Samara just to see what happens and Morinth really joins you? Does this have any real ramifications to the ending? I have a save right when you talk to Morinth in her apartment, I just need to know!

Don't know about the endgame, but
don't try and romance Morinth.

Trust me, just don't.

Olivero

So my wife has been watching me play and she finally said, "This looks neat, can I try?"
So we fired up a fem Shepard, I filled her in on the back ground, and now my wife is playing her first RPG(ish) thing ever. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Dresden

Olivero said:
So my wife has been watching me play and she finally said, "This looks neat, can I try?"
So we fired up a fem Shepard, I filled her in on the back ground, and now my wife is playing her first RPG(ish) thing ever. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Say goodbye to your wife. You're not going to see her again. One thing leads to another and the next thing you know, she's playing Nocturne with the volume cranked up in the cellar, ignoring you as you plead her to come back up...

Olivero

Dresden said:
Say goodbye to your wife. You're not going to see her again. One thing leads to another and the next thing you know, she's playing Nocturne with the volume cranked up in the cellar, ignoring you as you plead her to come back up...

For some reason I find that extremely hard to believe.. if you could only see her run around in circles and run into walls. It's painful.

mYm|17|

I just had an awesome moment.

I was shooting my cryo ammo at some guy that was looking at Grunt. I freeze the guy, then Grunt charges right into him and he shatters..............so good

Olivero

Olivero said:
For some reason I find that extremely hard to believe.. if you could only see her run around in circles and run into walls. It's painful.

In fact, I'm going to stream it on justin.tv, hope the quality turns out alright.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Don't read unless you've recruited the assassin (nothing story related, just a little graphics effect):
the wind effect while going across the bridge between the two towers was awesome. The way they kind of shake the camera around and show it catching on corners and stuff.

I love that kind of detail, it's such a subtle touch but adds so much.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
SlickVic said:
Well might as well; it just takes another second to set it back before alt-tabbing into the game again. Can't imagine the game running too well on 1 core with my processor.
I believe the game is set up to run on one anyways, because I've never really changed it back to both. The other game that I noticed this issue in (and the one where I found that fix to) was The Last Remnant and it runs the same as well.

I posted earlier that I just run the game with the affinity towards one core from a .bat file, so I don't have to tab out at all, and it works for me.

Sai

So, I told
Conrad
off nicely in the first game. What's all this talk about me
pointing a gun in his face
?

And I heard about Sirta on the news. I know that in the first game, even if you save all of the drugged researchers, the report in the Citadel elevators will imply that you decimated everything in there. But this was a glitch, wasn't it? Even though I took the paragon route, the renegade outcome is still present in the sequel.

lostxii

Himuro said:
Major spoiler:

I reloaded and I just can't do it.

I let Samara live that time, and when I talked to her after the deed, I felt empty. Even if what Samara did was "right" and "lawful", Morinth has a mysterious air. Going with her.

What!? A which part of the mission did you make the choice?

Sai

SPACECADET said:
had dinner with kelly and got +5 renegade

Yeah, I went to a save point before I had that conversation with her to avoid that.

I assumed it was because I was cheating. :lol If you had Ashley or Liara in the first game, do you get renegade points for pursuing any other of your other crewmates?

[EDIT] - Oh, and I just got Thane. Awesome character.

Vlightray

The game is so awesome when my girlfriend went to work shes like don't play mass effect till i'm back play forza or something. Had a good :lol

lostxii

Himuro said:
Samara's loyalty mission.

In Morinth's apartment. I said,"Surprise." Samara comes in, they fight, and you get to choose who you kill, Morinth or Samara. Whoever lives joins your crew.

I guess I'll have to try it on my second playthrough

Vlightray said:
The game is so awesome when my girlfriend went to work shes like don't play mass effect till i'm back play forza or something. Had a good :lol
Better sleep with some chicks in the game while shes gone :lol

Mindlog

Possibly answered New Game + question. When you start a NG+ in ME2 with a character imported from ME1 it basically wipes all your ME2 choices, but keeps your ME1 intact. right?

The fish. seriously they die faster than wrex around ashley :badum: Anyone keep them alive?

I still want my Korogan pet to be allowed on the Normandy and to chew on Joker's legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom