• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggum2007

Well damn, Zaeed turned out to be a pretty lame addition, didn't he? You don't even get a conversation tree with the guy, on the Normandy.

After Shale in DA:O I was expecting a squadmate as fleshed out as all the others in the vanilla game.

edit: Whoops, already a discussion on this going on isn't there, I've been skimming the thread to avoid any spoilers.

One of my disappointments with the game was that most of the missions were structured the same. It's one of the reason's why I enjoyed Thane's loyalty quest so much.

Chairman Yang said:
He's not. I mean, he seems like a cool character with a potentially interesting personality, and he's solid enough in combat, but he's clearly underdeveloped and feels more like cheap DLC rather than a full-fledged party member.

I do wish he had dialogue trees, but he says so many interesting things if you just go down and talk to him. I mean, yeah he is underdeveloped, but I still think he's worth getting.

No_Style

Chairman Yang said:
He's not. I mean, he seems like a cool character with a potentially interesting personality, and he's solid enough in combat, but he's clearly underdeveloped and feels more like cheap DLC rather than a full-fledged party member.

I keep going back to him for more of his mercenary stories, but there's nothing left! :(

falastini

Meus Renaissance said:
After Jack's loyalty mission she was
fighting with Miranda. I had to pick who to side with. I picked Miranda. I went to see Jack later on but she's not talking to me, however there are dialogue options that are greyed out.
What percentage of Paragon/Renegade would I need to unlock these options? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure but my Renegade was pretty high, and I was able to diffuse the situation. The funny thing is though, only a little later on, I had a fight break out between
Tali and Legion
but my options were grayed out. It made me pick a side in that case.

Kodiak said:
the character models for Jacob and Miranda look so fucking good, that it makes all the other human models look like total ass, especially commander shepard (at least my female version)

I played male Shepard, but I dabbled with the female customization and was able to at least make a better looking version then the default option. It makes you wonder what they were thinking. Jacob, Miranda, and Jake all have great looking faces. I hope they give female Shep some love in ME3.

A couple nitpicks :

Damn some of the levels looks awful, namely Haestrom & the planet you get Grunt from . Blocky as hell architechure w/ no variety at all, skyline looks nice though . The level designers at Bioware who made the above areas need to up the quality of their output . I haven't seen shit like that since last gen .

Music not nearly as good as the first, please go back to ME1 style & not orchestral junk . The best tunes in the game are Afterlife stuff, and from what I gather Jack Wall didn't do those .
When the radio you use in your cabin, has mostly stuff from the first game, that should have been a sign to someone the music in ME2 was so great .

The usual stuff, more Mako-like exploration, loot etc .

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Pankaks said:
It's way too small and "compartmentalized" as someone else said. I enjoyed running around the Citadel scanning keepers, talking to people, enjoying the sights etc.

Seeing the presidium with only one room was a pretty big letdown.

I haven't gotten to the Presidium yet which is why I haven't made a total decision about it but the linearity of the Citadel in the Wards is fine for me. The Presidium being one room may make me a little annoyed though, I'll have to see. I do love the atmosphere of the Citadel though, it feels more alive and the technology is kinda creepy (advertisements talking to you, knowing things about you, etc. I had one advertisement offer me a burial robe because I had been dead and I would be a "nice looking corpse.")

ArjanN

Raging Spaniard said:
Posted this in a sports thread yesterday, might as well post it here also :lol :

So Im playing some Mass Effect 2 and ... does anybody else think the Illusive Man looks like Bill Simmons (the sports guy from ESPN)?

Illusive_Man_Character_Shot.png

No.

martinsheen4431.jpg

Wiggum2007

ThePeacemaker02 said:
What do you guys think is the best Dr. Pepper DLC to pick?

I prefer the visor thing because I can still see my Shep's whole face, the Sam Fisher goggles are ok too, and the recon hood looks neat but I don't like my face being covered by a mask during conversations.

Cep

Banned
Coxswain said:
Because they're not "evil" and "benevolent", and it's not even really shades of grey. They cocked it up in ME1 by making most of the big choices very clearly good/evil, but it's pretty apparent in ME2 that Shepard is almost always intended to be a good guy; Paragon and Renegade are mostly about how you do good things, not whether you do good things. You're Renegade when you're abrasive, decisive, and unforgiving. You're Paragon when you're friendly, cautious, and willing to let things go as long as the solution is a net positive. It's entirely possible (and frankly, more realistic than "hold up-right" or "hold down-right" Shepards) to be proficient at handling different situations in either of those ways, as the situation warrants, without feeling like an inconsistent character. That's what the Paragon and Renegade meters represent. It's a big step forward for video game morality, as far as games with morality meters go.

In ME1 it was severely broken. Picking paragon meant you were a self-righteous ass and picking renegade meant that you were a Sociopath (and racist). I cannot stress how 'meh' this system was, it was pretty discordant if you oscillated 'tween the two stances.

ME2 fixed ME1's problems, as both sides are now more centrist and as you say, if a meter must be used, it is best that it is NOT a zero sum game(Unless we are talking Dragon Age Loyalty, that was the right choice for that game)

I still have issues with the system though (other than the fact that metering morality/ethics is stupid).

The main problem I have is that I do not believe that a meter is needed at all. In some ways, ME forces you to pick a side, as you need enough points to go through some checks.

The biggest issue is with the consequences. Since every scenario has a guaranteed Paragon/Renegade way to get out, you can chose either side in confidence, and know that you will resolve/persuade the other party. The system could best be optimized if sticking to your morality means that it could get you into serious trouble.

Ex1: Trying to stop an unstable person from killing himself.

P: Your life is not worth throwing away
R: Stop whining and man up

As things are now, both methods could get him down. But since this dude is unstable, P is the best option, while Renegade could/should possible crack him.

Ex2: Dealing with career criminals

P: You could do better things with your life, right all your wrongs. Imma let you go so you can do this
R: Mofo, I am not letting you go. Either you rot in a cell, or you rot right here with a hole in you brain

The paragon option SHOULD backfire, as reasoning with criminals in that manner is only asking for more crimes to be committed. While the renegade option of sending them to jail or their grave be more effective.

There is also the fact that if P/R is about reputation, then the consequences of scenarios should play just as much a role on how paragon/renegade we are as the initial choice.

pringles

Zzoram said:
Female Shephard has always had a great voice but a mediocre face. Too bad, they should seriously upgrade her in ME3 because she's the superior character.
CSC_0059-1.jpg

CSC_0061-1.jpg

It's possible to create a nice looking fem-Shephard :)

Although the hair does look like absolute shit. They obviously didn't want anyone but Miranda to have normal looking hair.

JambiBum

To the people complaining about the Citadel. Do you forget that it got destroyed at the end of the first game? It's only been two years. It fits that it is a scaled down version of the first Citadel.

While I think ME2 is, overall, much better than ME1, I'm kind of sad that there weren't any atmospheric moments like
talking to the AI on Ilos, learning what the remaining Protheans had to do in order to break the cycle.

LiK

pringles said:
It's possible to create a nice looking fem-Shephard :)

Although the hair does look like absolute shit. They obviously didn't want anyone but Miranda to have normal looking hair.

yea, there's only like 2 hairdos that are worth it. the rest are gross.

mine is really cute but when she smiles, she looks weird. i made her in ME1 and stuck with it.

soldat7

Pimpbaa said:
People complained about the mako and now we got boring ass planet scanning. The mako stuff was fun damnit! Thanks assholes! I hope the hammerhead DLC is awesome.

This is another example of BioWare choosing to cut rather than improve. My only complaint with the uncharted worlds was the repetition and Mako controls. I too hope that the Hammerhead DLC is significant and ongoing; I miss the uncharted worlds.

Cep

Banned
soldat7 said:
This is another example of BioWare choosing to cut rather than improve. My only complaint with the uncharted worlds was the repetition and Mako controls. I too hope that the Hammerhead DLC is significant and ongoing; I miss the uncharted worlds.

In the case of Mako, cutting was a good idea, it did not fit very well with the pace of the first game.

Of course, scanning was equally shitty...

LiK

soldat7 said:

i miss the Mako too, thank gawd the Hammerhead is coming. i loved MAko's controls cuz it controlled just like the Warthogs in Halo. i had no issues with the exploration and vehicle missions in ME1. they were pretty relaxing.

Chaplain

I bought the first game but did not like the controls during shoot outs. Does part 2 play more like an Uncharted or Gears this time around? I also did not like the rpg elements. Have the rpg elements been simplified?

falastini said:
I'm not sure but my Renegade was pretty high, and I was able to diffuse the situation. The funny thing is though, only a little later on, I had a fight break out between
Tali and Legion
but my options were grayed out. It made me pick a side in that case.

Whichever fight happens first is easier to diffuse. I had an almost full Paragon meter and still can't diffuse the
Jack/Miranda
fight. Maybe it has to be maxed completely?

LiK

Confidence Man said:
Whichever fight happens first is easier to diffuse. I had an almost full Paragon meter and still can't diffuse the
Jack/Miranda
fight. Maybe it has to be maxed completely?

that one seem scripted to me, altho i forget. there's a later argument that requires high Paragon to diffuse so both sides are right. if you don't, you must choose one. but i won't spoil it here.

notworksafe

Game Analyst said:
I bought the first game but did not like the controls during shoot outs. Does part 2 play more like an Uncharted or Gears this time around? I also did not like the rpg elements. Have the rpg elements been simplified?

What's left?

Chaplain

notworksafe said:
What's left then?

I know the story and music is ace. What I was hoping for was a game that plays like a 3rd person action game (Uncharted for example) but with the rpg elements (like the upgrades) handled automatically by the AI. I do not enjoy having to equip items; especially for AI characters. I guess I will be missing out again. =[

LiK

Game Analyst said:
I know the story and music is ace. What I was hoping for was a game that plays like a 3rd person action game (Uncharted) but with rpg elements (like upgrades) being done automatically by AI. I do not enjoy having to equip items, especially for AI characters. I guess I will be missing out again. =[

the AI is always equipped.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pimpbaa said:
People complained about the mako and now we got boring ass planet scanning. The mako stuff was fun damnit! Thanks assholes! I hope the hammerhead DLC is awesome.

Agreed, but the Mako in ME1 wasn't totally awesome. It COULD have been awesome in the sequel tho via improvements! Shame.

Is it me or is anyone else bothered by the lack of new weapons? I started as Vanguard, but I'm going to start over as soldier because I hate not being able to use a rifle.

notworksafe

Game Analyst said:
I know the story and music is ace. What I was hoping for was a game that plays like a 3rd person action game (Uncharted) but with rpg elements (like upgrades) being done automatically by AI. I do not enjoy having to equip items, especially for AI characters. I guess I will be missing out again. =[

Well from what you describe, it sounds like ME2 is much more your style.

The equipment isnt really stat driven (just gives bonuses) and pretty basic.
The upgrades apply to weapon types, not specific weps.
You can set the game to auto level your squad (and I believe yourself too?). You can also set them to pretty much act on their own if you want.
Shooting is similar to Gears of War style.

LiK

Brandon F said:
Agreed, but the Mako in ME1 wasn't totally awesome. It COULD have been awesome in the sequel tho via improvements! Shame.

the only weakness from Mako was that all the bases you went to were cookiecutter. i actually enjoyed the exploration. better than scanning planets, imo

Game Analyst said:
I should have said that I do not want to tell the friendly npc's to do anything. If I have to give them orders than I loose interest.

you don't, you could just let them follow you and they do everything themselves. you might just need to heal them when they're down.

Zeliard

Solideliquid said:
Is it me or is anyone else bothered by the lack of new weapons? I started as Vanguard, but I'm going to start over as soldier because I hate not being able to use a rifle.

You get the option at a point to choose a new weapon type, and among them for Vanguard is assault rifle and sniper rifle. I went with sniper myself.

Brandon F

Solideliquid said:

I'm halfway through and STILL using my damn starter machine pistol. I keep getting upgrade bonuses for other weapons, but I have yet to actually loot something new to equip. :(

Just wish the weapon customization was at least as interesting as the armor.

Chaplain

LiK said:
you don't, you could just let them follow you and they do everything themselves. you might just need to heal them when they're down.

You mean I can play the entire game (completing the game) without ever telling the npc's what do do?

Finished this last night and enjoyed it for the most part. I think I enjoyed the story of the first Mass Effect more because of the political atmosphere, but ME2 being more action-oriented and diving head first into events isn't a bad thing at all.

One of my favorite things about the game is how 'improved' the Paragon and Renegade system feels. Shepard feels more heroic than boy scout as a Paragon, and as a Renegade he has a more hardass approach to things instead of just being a douche.

Also, my favorite ME1-into-ME2 moment:

Punching the obnoxious news reporter in the face. So random and hilarously wrong.

LiK

Game Analyst said:
You mean I can play the entire game (completing the game) without ever telling the npc's what do do?

yea, they even use the biotic and tech powers on their own. i rarely controlled them. it's great.

notworksafe

Game Analyst said:

If you want. When you first start I believe there's on option on how you want the NPCs to use their powers and such. You will have to heal them yourself though.

I just imported my paragon female after beating the game with my renegade male adept and now I don't know what class I want her to be. I was thinking sentinel but I'm fairly certain I'm just going to spam throw and warp like what I did with my previous playthrough.

Brandon F

LiK said:
the only weakness from Mako was that all the bases you went to were cookiecutter. i actually enjoyed the exploration. better than scanning planets, imo.

I also thought the planet layouts themselves were pretty weak in Mako sections. I often felt like I was fighting the physics to get up mountains and whatnot. I did REALLY enjoy driving around and finding loot/resources. And yea, the dungeon segments were pretty cut/paste.

I'm finding there just isn't nearly enough sidequest planet romping in ME2. I am scanning 30 planets for every land mission, and when I do find a land mission it's over in mere minutes. So ultimately I would argue that ME1 planet hopping was slightly superior to ME2. Both need work regardless.

Chaplain

LiK said:
yea, they even use the biotic and tech powers on their own. i rarely controlled them. it's great.

Ok. Then I am going to rent it and check it out. I dislike missing out on games because of RPG elements. Thank you for your help.

notworksafe said:
If you want. When you first start I believe there's on option on how you want the NPCs to use their powers and such. You will have to heal them yourself though.

I hope I can handle that. Thank you for your help. Going to rent it at some point today. :D

LiK

Brandon F said:
I also thought the planet layouts themselves were pretty weak in Mako sections. I often felt like I was fighting the physics to get up mountains and whatnot. I did REALLY enjoy driving around and finding loot/resources. And yea, the dungeon segments were pretty cut/paste.

I'm finding there just isn't nearly enough sidequest planet romping in ME2. I am scanning 30 planets for every land mission, and when I do find a land mission it's over in mere minutes. So ultimately I would argue that ME1 planet hopping was slightly superior to ME2. Both need work regardless.

yea, they had some weird terrain to get over which made it tough to navigate at times.

thank gawd for the DLC on Cerberus Network. can't wait to see what's coming out for extra quests and whatnot. :D

Anarchistry

I have a question regarding Samara's daughter.

If I mate with Morinth, does Shepherd actually die, ending the game? Or do you just reload the last save?

KINDA HUGE QUESTION:

So after I did Jack's loyalty quest, I talked to her and picked the [UPGRADE] option in discussion. I can't remember what that was it unlocked, though. I don't think it was the Warp Ammo. When I had similar "conversations" with Mordin and Miranda I got Mordin's 30% Bonus and a the Ship Scanning upgrade, respectively.

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

(Just recruited Samara by the way. The characters keep getting doper. I can't wait for ME3. LIARA/SAMARA FIIIIGHT.)

(Joker: "
Take pictures!
")

TheYanger

EatChildren said:
One thing I'm disappointed with so far is BioWare's handling of the romances. I dont know how it is for the male, but for the fem Shepard everything comes off really slutty.

Its good to have diversity in romance options, not just characters but also how you approach them, whether it being a casual fuck or something more 'romantic' and long term, but all three of the female's choices seem really, really easy to sway.

The actual dialogue to say you're interested always comes across as "I really want to have sex with you, now", and you can say it really early after learning about the characters. Then the rest of the 'growth' of the relationship before the sex is just teasing.

Liara was a bit of a bore, but it was handled much better than it has been here, thanks to the progressive dialogue that took awhile to climax (lolol), but mostly because you could choose how you wanted to talk; you could be slutty, sexually aggressive, or slow and easy.

It sounds geeky to ask for these kinds of things in a game, but it comes across as pretty cheap feeling. There's no option to go slow and easy. There's no option to build relationships with any of the crew. Sucks.

I think you didn't look hard enough. You can get plenty of romantic interactions as FemShep, even if they don't all lead to sex. You can try to Woo Samara, and it's actually fairly sad
She ultimately won't because of her code, and goes to be alone, so you're left iwth a lingering shot of Shepard standing there alone and sad
, Thane is also not really about sex in the least, his is kind of emo :p but it's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom