• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Solo said:
No, its retarded. How I can I be "fully" evil and "fully" benevolent at the same time? Thats not shades of grey. Thats fucking schizophrenia.
You're a loose cannon, Riggs!

Sheppard

So....I just went through a fight between
Miranda
and
Jack
. I didn't have the paragon to deal with the situation without pissing one of them off. So I pissed off
Miranda
after I got her loyality up and her loyality went down after the fight. Will I have an option to make the person in question happy with me again later or will that person be super pissed at me for the rest of the game?

selig

Banned
Solo said:
No, its retarded. How I can I be "fully" evil and "fully" benevolent at the same time? Thats not shades of grey. Thats fucking schizophrenia.

i can be an asshole to people i dont like and nice to those i like. not that hard to grasp...

Zeliard

Solo said:

That's if you act evil and benevolent to the same person, for the same basic reason. But when people are building up both meters it's because they decide to be bad in some situations, and good in others. Depends on circumstances, characters, etc.

I was going to go for full Renegade, as I usually do in these games, but I've found myself essentially taking every dialogue choice character-by-character and side-plot-by-side-plot.

Coxswain

Solo said:
Because they're not "evil" and "benevolent", and it's not even really shades of grey. They cocked it up in ME1 by making most of the big choices very clearly good/evil, but it's pretty apparent in ME2 that Shepard is almost always intended to be a good guy; Paragon and Renegade are mostly about how you do good things, not whether you do good things. You're Renegade when you're abrasive, decisive, and unforgiving. You're Paragon when you're friendly, cautious, and willing to let things go as long as the solution is a net positive. It's entirely possible (and frankly, more realistic than "hold up-right" or "hold down-right" Shepards) to be proficient at handling different situations in either of those ways, as the situation warrants, without feeling like an inconsistent character. That's what the Paragon and Renegade meters represent. It's a big step forward for video game morality, as far as games with morality meters go.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
the character models for Jacob and Miranda look so fucking good, that it makes all the other human models look like total ass, especially commander shepard (at least my female version)

Zzoram

Female Shephard has always had a great voice but a mediocre face. Too bad, they should seriously upgrade her in ME3 because she's the superior character.

Solo

But wouldnt it make more sense for morally grey choices to not award any points at all? No slap on the wrist for being "bad", no pat on the back for being "good".

Question regarding Krogan sidequest
The mechanic has asked me to find him a Combustion mechanic. Where can I find that? Note that I've already done the Rite of Passage for Grunt

Zeliard

Coxswain said:
Because they're not "evil" and "benevolent", and it's not even really shades of grey. They cocked it up in ME1 by making most of the big choices very clearly good/evil, but it's pretty apparent in ME2 that Shepard is almost always intended to be a good guy; Paragon and Renegade are mostly about how you do good things, not whether you do good things. You're Renegade when you're abrasive, decisive, and unforgiving. You're Paragon when you're friendly, cautious, and willing to let things go as long as the solution is a net positive. It's entirely possible (and frankly, more realistic than "hold up-right" or "hold down-right" Shepards) to be proficient at handling different situations in either of those ways, as the situation warrants, without feeling like an inconsistent character. That's what the Paragon and Renegade meters represent. It's a big step forward for video game morality, as far as games with morality meters go.

Also, Paragon in ME2 is more about doing what's morally right, while Paragon in ME1 seemed at times more about doing what's legally right. Similarly, Renegade is less about being a bad guy and more about taking shortcuts and doing whatever, as long as the ends justify the means.

Some of the Renegade choices feel more grey than they did in the first game. There's one in
Mordin
's loyalty quest where you have a Renegade interruption choice that allows you to kill the leader of the group you're about to fight, before the battle actually starts. If you don't do the interruption, you end up having to fight and kill him regardless, and he's a tougher guy than the others. If you do the interruption and kill him, you get Renegade points despite the fact that you would have had to kill him anyway. It's probably considered Renegade due to the lack of "sportsmanship". :p

Meus Renaissance said:
The mechanic has asked me to find him a Combustion mechanic. Where can I find that? Note that I've already done the Rite of Passage for Grunt

Mordin's loyalty question where you go take on the Weryloc clan.

golem

Coxswain said:
yeah its more lawful vs chaotic, in dnd terms... you're still overall "good"

Zeliard said:
Also, Paragon in ME2 is more about doing what's morally right, while Paragon in ME1 seemed at times more about doing what's legally right. Similarly, Renegade is less about being a bad guy and more about taking shortcuts and doing whatever, as long as the ends justify the means.

Some of the Renegade choices feel more grey than they did in the first game. There's one in
Mordin
's loyalty quest where you have a Renegade interruption choice that allows you to kill the leader of the group you're about to fight, before the battle actually starts. If you don't do the interruption, you end up having to fight and kill him regardless, and he's a tougher guy than the others. If you do the interruption and kill him, you get Renegade points despite the fact that you would have had to kill him anyway. It's probably considered Renegade due to the lack of "sportsmanship". :p

Renegade vs. Paragon is simply the age old question of "fight it out vs. talk it out.". Paragon tends to be the diplomatic, non offensive way to get things done. Renegade, as the loading screen puts it, is about being badass. The moment you're talking about is like "hey, do I keep trying to talk this guy down, or do I just say fuck it and ace his ass since it's headed to a fight. I've never not aced his ass either. He's got it coming. :D

Meus Renaissance said:

you get along the way in mordins quest on tuchanka.

unless youve done it already and in which case you missed it :(

Subject Zero says doesn't want to be part of the "girls club" :( I helped you move on from your past

After Jack's loyalty mission she was
fighting with Miranda. I had to pick who to side with. I picked Miranda. I went to see Jack later on but she's not talking to me, however there are dialogue options that are greyed out.
What percentage of Paragon/Renegade would I need to unlock these options? Does anyone know?

Kodiak said:
the character models for Jacob and Miranda look so fucking good, that it makes all the other human models look like total ass, especially commander shepard (at least my female version)

I agree, and the Zaeed model is also pretty strikingly realistic.

By the way, is there any way to hide the helmet while maintaining the benefits? There's no point to the great modeling if it's hidden behind a face mask.

Calavera520 said:
I agree, and the Zaeed model is also pretty strikingly realistic.

By the way, is there any way to hide the helmet while maintaining the benefits? There's no point to the great modeling if it's hidden behind a face mask.

Not that I've seen, which has made the Terminus/Dragon Age armors no-gos for me. I used the targetting visor pretty much the whole game, as I was an infiltrator and it gave me a bonus while I could still see my face.

Wow, this arrived this morning,and I just lost 6 hours to it without noticing. Having just played through 1 I can feel and appreciate all the changes, I'm also happy my PC runs this on full settings too :)

Archangel was a nice surprise and that whole area with Afterlife is just wonderfully done.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have a question to all the PC players who also played ME on the PC: Did the first few seconds with the controls seem odd to you? I had to switch Squad Command to space (like ME1) and run to shift (like ME1) immediately.

hermit7

Quick question how many different armor pieces are there?

I found 3 chestplates, 1 shoulder pad, and maybe 1 boots, and a visor but that seems awfully limited did I miss some?

hermit7 said:
Quick question how many different armor pieces are there?

I found 3 chestplates, 1 shoulder pad, and maybe 1 boots, and a visor but that seems awfully limited did I miss some?

I think I found about 2 of everything.

ianp622

Lyphen said:
I have a question to all the PC players who also played ME on the PC: Did the first few seconds with the controls seem odd to you? I had to switch Squad Command to space (like ME1) and run to shift (like ME1) immediately.

Haha, I was wondering what was up when I first started playing. I would always get confused and mix them up, but I played ME too long ago to remember that those were the default controls. Eventually I got used to it though.

Alucrid

Banned
For my insanity playthrough is it easier to start a whole new character for it?

Also, anyone notice in the final scene
if you save the collector base the sun behind the Illusive man is red, if you destroy it it's blue representing your paragon options I guess. I don't think I'll ever save the base though.

Just finished the game loved every second of it.

I'm just finishing up on some achievements now, does anyone know where to get the Heavy Pistol upgrade? I need it for the upgrade 7 weapons achievement.

Also I'm at level 27 I've explored most of the map do you think there is enough side quests to get to level 30?

Mindlog

corrosivefrost said:
To me, the Illusive man is just a generic ripoff of the Smoking man from X-Files.
His eyes are really fucking cool though... like high-tech Sharingan. I wanna know what they are...

He has a bit of Don Draper in him too. In the CE art book it's an easy comparison.

Lyphen said:
YES!

But i've since gotten used to that change. It still seems a bit stupid to consolidate 3 actions onto one key.

The only other changes i've made are Q for holstering weapons (because H is too far away), and E for melee.

Lyphen said:
I had the two mixed up for the first 30 minutes. I would have swapped them, but space is much more than just run, so I left it how it is.

My only complaint:
The game doesn't seem to have as much freedom as it did in regards to environments. Particularly the Citadel; I hate not being able to walk around where ever I want like in the first game.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Just finished the game and
everyone lived, including Kelly, Dr. Chakwas and the crew. I was kind of shocked because I'd heard from all the pre-release press how hard it would be for that to happen.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I felt some of the decisions were relatively obvious...
Legion to hack the doors, Jacob to lead the 2nd crew, Jack to hold the barrier...

Now I just need someone to come out with an indepth FAQ of all the permutations and possibilities.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Nose Master said:
Man, I wish I had a Zaede code :< he seems amazing.
He's not. I mean, he seems like a cool character with a potentially interesting personality, and he's solid enough in combat, but he's clearly underdeveloped and feels more like cheap DLC rather than a full-fledged party member.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
darkpaladinmfc said:
I had the two mixed up for the first 30 minutes. I would have swapped them, but space is much more than just run, so I left it how it is.
I thought about that as well, but I've never, ever played a game that expected me to hold space for any long period of time, or so often (except Morrowind, I think. And that was use, which was switched to E).

I just found it incredibly unnatural, and don't get how Bioware could be so out of touch to expect people to jump into those controls.

Pimpbaa

People complained about the mako and now we got boring ass planet scanning. The mako stuff was fun damnit! Thanks assholes! I hope the hammerhead DLC is awesome.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
More of the little things that I absolutely love about the game that shows how much more it's improved over the last one:

When I can see I can go multiple ways, and I click any of the analog sticks to see where I have to go, and when it points me in the right direction to go, I know I can go the opposite way to safely collect anything without triggering the next scene or fight - brilliant. It's these little things that I had no clue about that just surprised me about the game.

Individually placing where you want each squad member on the battlefield - I already knew this, they even wanted to put it in the first ME, but it's perfectly done here - you can even attack with the mapped power/attack with their d-pad also too - so good.

I'm enjoying this mission that I'm on right now, and Grunt's a beast - he was always one I wanted to keep on the squad, so glad that he's meeting expectations so early. But I gotta say that it's tougher to keep just the same two or three squad mates I had in mind - BioWare managed to keep me wanting to mix them up every single mission - great job on their part with that one.

Rad-

I'm now playing Infiltrator and what the hell is up with sniper rifle? It holds 10 ammo at once. :lol My biggest negative about the game. So either I can't use it, or I have to search for ammo after every battle (and in most cases, I can't even find enough to fill it up). Someone please tell me where I can find a new one that has bigger ammo capacity.

Though I'm surprised how good the standard pistol is. It's a headshot machine. So accurate.

Cloaking seems quite useless. The sniper kills in one shot anyways so the damage boost is kind of moot.

He's not. I mean, he seems like a cool character with a potentially interesting personality, and he's solid enough in combat, but he's clearly underdeveloped and feels more like cheap DLC rather than a full-fledged party member.

He has a badass quest though. At least if you play renegade.

People complained about the mako and now we got boring ass planet scanning. The mako stuff was fun damnit! Thanks assholes! I hope the hammerhead DLC is awesome.

Planet scanning is still better in my opinion. At least it's quick.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I had one particular comment about (not really story spoiler, but more of a location spoiler)...

The Citadel. I saw some people comment where they say they were disappointed in it but so far I'm not seeing it. I the Citadel is pretty awesome, a lot better than I thought given some comments of it. What were some of the criticisms exactly? It doesn't seem as open as the Citadel in ME1 but ME2 has gone for a lot more linearity overall than its predecessor.

Chairman Yang said:

But he loves that shitty old rifle.

CAVE343

Holy crap, I just started and it's blowing me away! The beginning was really epic!

one minor thing btw: Why do I have to carry that Grenade Laucnher on my back, it looks way to bulky, why can't I UNEQUIP that thing?!

OMG Aero

Pimpbaa said:
I enjoyed the Mako exploration more than the scanning, definitely. I think the main thing that soured everyone on the Mako was combat since unless you were on a perfectly flat plain, you have no idea where the hell your shots are going to go. That was definitely what I hated most it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Shrinnan said:
I had one particular comment about (not really story spoiler, but more of a location spoiler)...

The Citadel. I saw some people comment where they say they were disappointed in it but so far I'm not seeing it. I the Citadel is pretty awesome, a lot better than I thought given some comments of it. What were some of the criticisms exactly? It doesn't seem as open as the Citadel in ME1 but ME2 has gone for a lot more linearity overall than its predecessor.

It's way too small and "compartmentalized" as someone else said. I enjoyed running around the Citadel scanning keepers, talking to people, enjoying the sights etc.

Seeing the presidium with only one room was a pretty big letdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom