• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjitsu

Banned
MechaX said:
I'm more inclined to believe that actually might be a female. A lot of Krogan there do say that the female and children are heavily segregated from the males with the occasional envoy from said group. That, and the voice is noticeably different from virtually every other Krogan seen in both games. And it would make little sense for an envoy of a female tribe to be male.

The "shawl" that the krogan is wearing is the same as any non armored krogan in the game.
How is the voice noticeably different? It's a low male voice, the same as every other Krogan in the game. It's a male.

Just because some dude on youtube called it a woman, doesn't make it one.:lol

Solo

shuri said:
I'm really not feeling the storyline so far. I was such a huge fan of the original game, and its such an heartbreaker to admit that I'm having problems with this one.

You know, now that my issues with the gameplay and streamlining have been fully addressed, this kind of remains my only issue too. I mean, the characters are fucking GREAT, and their sidequests are interesting, but the overall plot seems rather...nonexistant? Basically its "put together a team to fight the collectors/reapers", and not much else. ME1 was MUCH more layered and intricate than ME2 in this regard. ME1 spent a lot of time delving into the history of a lot of things, and I really loved that. ME2 isnt really interested in those kind of things.

Amir0x

Banned
Game is pretty cool so far. Overall, it's a lot more streamlined and I find myself missing a lot of Mass Effect's more obtuse systems, for some reason.

I also liked not thinking about ammo in ME1, but this new system is just fine.

Story seems like it's still written as well, but it's not necessarily as interesting.
But the gameplay itself is way more exciting and intense, and so that picks up the slack there.

MechaX

Shinjitsu said:
The "shawl" that the krogan is wearing is the same as any non armored krogan in the game.
How is the voice noticeably different? It's a low male voice, the same as every other Krogan in the game. It's a male.

Just because some dude on youtube called it a woman, doesn't make it one.:lol

I didn't even bring up the shawl point, so I don't see how that's entirely relevant in response to my post. In addition, I find it difficult to believe that you don't hear how the voice is different than any other Krogan voice (it's not even noticeable on the youtube video, but on an actual TV, the voice carries much more distortion than any other krogan voice). Plus, there's more evidence supporting the notion that its a female based on situational factors alone (again, an envoy for a highly secluded female tribe being male doesn't make much sense at all, especially since multiple krogans state that females/children are kept separate from the males with the exception of breeding visits or father/son visits).

Would it only pass for a female krogan in your eyes if it had a high pitched voice and a bright pink head shell?

Solo

Dax01 said:
The main problem with ME2's storyline is nothing really happens. The galaxy is basically in the same position it was at the end of ME1.

This is the problem with games/movies/whatever in the middle act of a planned trilogy. It sucks.

Patryn

I think it's because ME1 sacrificed the characters' stories for the sake of the universe's. In ME2, they sacrifice the universe's story for the sake of the characters.

Think about it. The whole game is basically about running in place. The only major change is that we know that the Reapers are still utilizing the Protheans and we have the new Normandy. Depending on what the choose to do with the human Reaper, it's possible that the Collector base may mean nothing in the long term.

But I think this discussion is probably best suited to the ME2 story thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Solo said:
This is the problem with games/movies/whatever in the middle act of a planned trilogy. It sucks.

I will say, if ME3 has me flying around space looking for people/secret technology, I'll be kind of pissed. They have no excuse now, they HAVE to change how they break up their quests.

Shinjitsu

Banned
MechaX said:
I didn't even bring up the shawl point, so I don't see how that's entirely relevant in response to my post. In addition, I find it difficult to believe that you don't hear how the voice is different than any other Krogan voice (it's not even noticeable on the youtube video, but on an actual TV, the voice carries much more distortion than any other krogan voice). Plus, there's more evidence supporting the notion that its a female based on situational factors alone (again, an envoy for a highly secluded female tribe being male doesn't make much sense at all).

Would it only pass for a female krogan in your eyes if it had a high pitched voice and a bright pink head shell?

It looks and dresses just like every other non-armored male Krogan in the game, it sounds DISTINCTLY male.

But whatever, lets just agree to disagree. I'm not going to believe it's a woman, and clearly you think it's one.:D

Solo

firehawk12 said:
I will say, if ME3 has me flying around space looking for people/secret technology, I'll be kind of pissed. They have no excuse now, they HAVE to change how they break up their quests.

Im assuming ME3 wont have you scouring the galaxy for a team. It should be some mixture of your ME1 and ME2 crews. Grunt and Wrex? Yes please.

Amir0x

Banned
God Western RPGs are so rad. Playing this back to back with Mass Effect 1, it's like I'm playing the most uber epic RPG of this generation!

firehawk12 said:

They also need to give you access to most of your team within the beginning hours of the game a la ME1.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Solo said:
Im assuming ME3 wont have you scouring the galaxy for a team. It should be some mixture of your ME1 and ME2 crews. Grunt and Wrex? Yes please.

Shepard.
ShePARD.
SHEpard.
SHEPARRRRRD!

My fear is that the third game will be about recruiting races to help you, like Dragon Age. I'm just tired of the same formula over and over again.

Red Blaster said:
They also need to give you access to most of your team within the beginning hours of the game a la ME1.

I imagine they'll find some conceit to force you to recruit new dudes actually... especially since they can't possibly account for who survives in your playthrough.

I would hope that the "canon" ending is that some people end up dying. I figure Jacob will buy it since he's the generic human and everyone hates him. Everyone else has fanboys/fangirls. :lol

FrankT

Amir0x said:
God Western RPGs are so rad. Playing this back to back with Mass Effect 1, it's like I'm playing the most uber epic RPG of this generation!

It pretty much is. Anyhow I've already clocked in 42 hours on my first play through and I'm pretty sure I've got a decent bit left.

Solo

firehawk12 said:
Shepard.
ShePARD.
SHEpard.
SHEPARRRRRD!

My fear is that the third game will be about recruiting races to help you, like Dragon Age. I'm just tired of the same formula over and over again.

It would be nice if the whole recruiting stuff could be dropped for ME3 completely. Of course, this a Bioware, and that is part of their game design 101, so I dont expect it to leave.

Still though, Id love to have access to my whole squad from the outset of ME3. Ashley, Jack and I have a galaxy to save!

Darklord

Banned
firehawk12 said:

I don't mind the ME2 storyline so far because the locations have been so awesome. The story is kinda lacking so far, I think I need 1 more team mate then have an Illusive man mission and that mission sounds pretty bad arse so it might start picking up.

While I don't know the ending of this game yet, I hope the next one has the reapers attacking right from the start. I want to see planets be destroyed and fleets blown to pieces while trying to stop them. It would be interesting having other story elements like a reaper chasing the Normandy and running into it once or twice. I swear if they stop the reapers before invading I'll be fucking pissed. I know they are insanely strong but I'd rather a Deus ex machina ending than a stopping them before they reach the galaxy ending.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Solo said:
It would be nice if the whole recruiting stuff could be dropped for ME3 completely. Of course, this a Bioware, and that is part of their game design 101, so I dont expect it to leave.

I wouldn't mind a purely linear story at this point, just so they can focus on the storytelling and NPC interactions. Unfortunately, it's still lacking at this point because all the party members basically sit in their own encapsulated sections and don't talk to each other.

I mean, why wouldn't Jack be off banging Gardner? :lol

Darklord said:
I don't mind the ME2 storyline so far because the locations have been so awesome. The story is kinda lacking so far, I think I need 1 more team mate then have an Illusive man mission and that mission sounds pretty bad arse so it might start picking up.

While I don't know the ending of this game yet, I hope the next one has the reapers attacking right from the start. I want to see planets be destroyed and fleets blown to pieces while trying to stop them. It would be interesting having other story elements like a reaper chasing the Normandy and running into it once or twice. I swear if they stop the reapers before invading I'll be fucking pissed. I know they are insanely strong but I'd rather a Deus ex machina ending than a stopping them before they reach the galaxy ending.

Yeah, I hope the ending is basically a scaled up version of the ME1 citadel attack. I also hope they take the time to animate endings for each character rather than just go with the lame ass text boxes from Dragon Age.

Amir0x

Banned
Jtyettis said:
It pretty much is. Anyhow I've already clocked in 42 hours on my first play through and I'm pretty sure I've got a decent bit left.

It's amazing how progressive WRPGs are this gen, compared to JRPGs. But I guess that's a controversial subject and probably a bad idea.

Anyhoo, the Blood Dragon Armor I got from Dragon Age Origins looks BADASS in Mass Effect 2. Wish I could take off the helmet though.

Wolffen

I'm hoping someone in this thread can help me figure something out in regards to the DLC for ME2. My wife and I both have XBL accounts, and both want to play through ME2. My account is a gold account and all of our DLC/XBLA games are tied to my account. I noticed that you have to sign up for an EA Online account to be able to access the Cerebus network and download DLC for ME2. Since anything I download on XBL on my 360 can be used by any other user on the Xbox (since DLC is normally tied to the gamer tag AND the system itself, and can therefore be shared with other users on the 360), will this still be the case with the ME2 DLC?

Basically, I just need to know if I download the DLC via my XBL gamertag and EA Login, will my wife be able to use the DLC as well with her GT? (Which I guess boils down to whether or not mutiple GTs can use the same EA Login or not...I don't have one yet, so I have no idea).

DodgerSan

Snuggler said:
Since I'm on a huge Mass Effect binge at the moment, I think I might order those books even though I've never bothered to read a videogame book before. Has anyone bought the "Art of Mass Effect" ? It's like $16.50 on Amazon, I might go for it. What about the Redemption comic? I wouldn't normally spend my money on this kind of stuff but I want all the Mass Effect shit I can find.
I was really lucky. Game in the uk were doing the art book and Prima guide bundled for £5! But the art book's worth more IMO, I'd say get it.

The novels are decent too. The first is set years before ME1 and is the story of Anderson's meeting Saren. The second is set between 1 and 2.

I don't think you'd regret getting them tbh.

Solo said:

I'd agree with this except that I'd like a few extra optional characters. A couple of actual Spectres would be fucking awesome, along with
that badass Asari Commando Wrex was talking about in ME1

It'll be interesting to see what Bioware does with ME3. I'm excited because I feel like this bioware team is the type to really take what the fans say into consideration so I'd expect some kind of return to explorable UCW's and merging of the what made both games so fantastic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wolffen said:
I'm hoping someone in this thread can help me figure something out in regards to the DLC for ME2. My wife and I both have XBL accounts, and both want to play through ME2. My account is a gold account and all of our DLC/XBLA games are tied to my account. I noticed that you have to sign up for an EA Online account to be able to access the Cerebus network and download DLC for ME2. Since anything I download on XBL on my 360 can be used by any other user on the Xbox (since DLC is normally tied to the gamer tag AND the system itself, and can therefore be shared with other users on the 360), will this still be the case with the ME2 DLC?

Basically, I just need to know if I download the DLC via my XBL gamertag and EA Login, will my wife be able to use the DLC as well with her GT? (Which I guess boils down to whether or not mutiple GTs can use the same EA Login or not...I don't have one yet, so I have no idea).

I don't think so - since people who got the DLC "early" were able to use the DLC without unlocking it via the EA account.

Only one GT can be tied to an EA account though, as far as I know.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Quick and stupid question: Where the hell iz Zaeed in the Normandy? I recruited him, but when I go back to the ship I cant find him anywhere :|

comrade

It has to of been mentioned before but I've been too busy playing to follow how fast this thread moves. I'm not the only one who thinks Jacob is Kanye West right?

Arjen

Raging Spaniard said:
Quick and stupid question: Where the hell iz Zaeed in the Normandy? I recruited him, but when I go back to the ship I cant find him anywhere :|

I believe he's somewhere in Engineering, just past that scottish dude.

cluto

Raging Spaniard said:
Opposite of where Grunt is I believe.

MechaX

Shinjitsu said:
It looks and dresses just like every other non-armored male Krogan in the game, it sounds DISTINCTLY male.

But whatever, lets just agree to disagree. I'm not going to believe it's a woman, and clearly you think it's one.:D

It doesn't even sound distinctly male, at all. Plus, we're talking about a reptilian alien species, not humans with rather pronounced physical gender differences. But eh, I digress.

Solo

Dark FaZe said:
I'd expect some kind of return to explorable UCW's and merging of the what made both games so fantastic.

God, if they actually do this, then we're no longer talking about game of the gen (which ME1 was and ME2 probably will be by the time I finish), but game of the EVAR :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Raging Spaniard said:

He is in the Engineering section starboard cargo

I'm really liking it so far, just got the professor last night. The only thing is I wish I had chosen to be a FemShep when I got ME1 two years ago. I don't know how I didn't notice it before but male Shepherd is a dork. Even the official strategy guide shows pics of the guy who wrote the guide using a FemShep:lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I must say, the autosaves and checkpoints in this game are flawlessly done. I barely EVER have to physically save.

What do I have to do to get Legion? I have everyone else, and have done about 6 of their loyalty quests.

I'm taking my sweet ass time, and have put about 30 hours in. LOVE THIS GAME.

My usual party is some combination of Mordin, Thane, Garrus or Miranda (who I think is honestly the strongest party member, because of Overload and Warp. Also the hottest party member, which counts for a lot :lol )

I'm back with another question derived from paranoia.

It's about Jack.
So I've assembled the entire crew but Legion and they're all loyal. Story-wise, I'm right before the IFF mission where I assume I'll get Legion. Now, aside from Jack, I seem to have exhausted all the dialogue options from everyone on the Normandy. Jack's bothering me thought because, aside from the usual Investigate to ask her about Miranda/Jacob and the Mission, all I can say to her is "Let's talk about us." Which seems to always end in her telling me to "Fuck off!" if I tell her I'm not interested (I'm not). This gonna be a problem going into the end? I've been avoiding talking to her for awhile now because of this. Want to keep her loyal.

Thanks for the help.

kitzkozan

Dark FaZe said:
I'd agree with this except that I'd like a few extra optional characters. A couple of actual Spectres would be fucking awesome, along with
that badass Asari Commando Wrex was talking about in ME1

It'll be interesting to see what Bioware does with ME3. I'm excited because I feel like this bioware team is the type to really take what the fans say into consideration so I'd expect some kind of return to explorable UCW's and merging of the what made both games so fantastic.

uncharted worlds are coming in Mass effect 2 with the hammerhead and future planet or moon to explore(I think the bulk of DLC will be tied to the hammerhead).We won't have to wait until the final act to get those. :p I am sure feedback on the hammerhead will be important,since it should be in ME 3 (at launch) if it's properly functional.

I don't think the last game will be searching for a team to take on another suicide mission.It's probably going to be a mix of both game,where you recruit and go on storyline mission and recruit people once you are there.

Tokubetsu

Oh Jack! How I love thee! Let me count the ways...
25u2zr7.jpg

Kapura

Banned
Patryn said:
Out of curiousity (endgame spoilers):
Has anyone had a non-loyal Miranda on their team at the end and chosen to blow up the collector base? I had a loyal Miranda, and when the Illusive Man told her to stop me, she resigned from Cerberus. I assume a non-loyal Miranda would actually try to stop me. Do you get in a fight with her? Kill her? Anyone know?
Nope, she just cops it on the way out (lol)

kamspy

Amir0x said:
It's amazing how progressive WRPGs are this gen, compared to JRPGs. But I guess that's a controversial subject and probably a bad idea.

Anyhoo, the Blood Dragon Armor I got from Dragon Age Origins looks BADASS in Mass Effect 2. Wish I could take off the helmet though.

Bioware is doing the damn thing. I'd pretty much buy any amount of DLC for the game if it's the same quality to dollar ratio as the regular game.

Yeah, the helmet makes conversation a little.....awkward.

TheFreshPrince

Does anyone else feel that this game's biggest weakness is it's graphical inconsistency?

The character models can look so good...the aliens so lifelike...and yet the very armor they are wearing looks awful. And it's not even every character..Miranda's bodysuit is fine, but then Grunt's armor looks over a decade outdated.

Vehicles/large objects in particular are also so pixelated and jaggedy. I'm no graphics expert, but why was Bioware able to design gorgeous character models...but the their clothing/armor is terrible?

Some hallways/environments look amazing with great lighting and particle effects...but a lot of that is ruined for me by junky doors/crates.

Kapura

Banned
comrade said:
It has to of been mentioned before but I've been too busy playing to follow how fast this thread moves. I'm not the only one who thinks Jacob is Kanye West right?
I thought he was Tracy Morgan :/

AniHawk

This game's a mixed bag. On one hand, I really love the character stuff and mission based things. On the other hand, I miss exploration. Getting resources fucking sucks too. Reminds me of TWW's triforce hunt.

Also, I liked it better when it was clearly a hybrid of shooter and RPG instead of a shooter with RPG elements.

Dresden

Dax01 said:
Not really. Halo 2

Eh, it didn't really have a ending. In fact, it was probably the biggest case of blue balls I could remember from a game. One moment you're going FUCK YA CHIEF, and then the credits roll.

The character models can look so good...the aliens so lifelike...and yet the very armor they are wearing looks awful. And it's not even every character..Miranda's bodysuit is fine, but then Grunt's armor looks over a decade outdated.

Vehicles/large objects in particular are also so pixelated and jaggedy. I'm no graphics expert, but why was Bioware able to design gorgeous character models...but the their clothing/armor is terrible?

Have to disagree here, I love the way armor looks, especially the default N7 armor. The teammates' stuff looks fine as well, especially, say, Thane's suit with the badass recon hood on when in harsh environments.

I do agree about crates and doors looking plain, but otherwise, the game looks incredible.

Trickster

TheFreshPrince said:
Does anyone else feel that this game's biggest weakness is it's graphical inconsistency?

Some hallways/environments look amazing with great lighting and particle effects...but a lot of that is ruined for me by junky doors/crates.

I think your game is bugged if you think grunt's armor look outdated.

However I will agree that there are sometimes that stuff like clothes look out of place compared to the rest of the game, and I believe the reason for that is that it's simply recycled clothing and textures from the first ME.

Overall I would disagree that it's one of the bigger issue for the game though, at most it's a tiny quirk, if that's the right word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom