• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's considered more useful? Heavy shockwave or Improved shockwave? Generally I would imagine that the AOE variants are less useful than the "Heavy" variants of skill ranks since often times enemies aren't crowded together, but I think that shockwave and pull might be more useful with more AOE to them. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Just did
Tali
recruitment mission on Hardcore, damn that was intense with two cases of enemies spawning till you push forward.:D

Got the
Geth Pulse Rifle
, is it better than the Vindicator one?

As for Insanity I will stick with my Soldier, I don't really get hit that much and I love the fact that I can use all the weapons. I can already imagine it will be a pain.:lol

One of my favorite games in a couple of years. I had to force myself to play through ME1, but I'm putting 8-9 hours/day in ME2. Superb changes to the combat system.

Also, does
telling Tali's guard (the red Quarian) to cover you and assist makes this fight easier, as in he will be invincible and kill some Geth, but after the fight he dies
? I just think there should be a distinct advantage for playing as a renegade and "getting the job done".

Solo

Rabbit Lord said:
did anyone have a game where Wrex is dead? What changes on his home world?

Hes dead in my game. What planet is his homeworld? The krogan who "created" Grunt had some choice words for me for killing Wrex.

Cetra

Rabbit Lord said:

I haven't done it personally but I did watch a video on YouTube earlier that showed this. All that changes
is that a different Krogan of the Urdnot clan is the Krogan leader. There's no real dialogue of any merit between him and Shepard other than that he acknowledges what happened between Shepard and Wrex in ME1.
Besides that it's pretty much business as usual.

Castor Krieg said:
Also, does
telling Tali's guard (the red Quarian) to cover you and assist makes this fight easier, as in he will be invincible and kill some Geth, but after the fight he dies
? I just think there should be a distinct advantage for playing as a renegade and "getting the job done".

he did not die for me, even though i made him cover my ass.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Doing the suicide run now and made what was clearly a bad decision. People are going to die :(.

Lucc

Rabbit Lord said:

wasn't the new krogan his son or something? and in the end of grun't mission you face him instead of that other warlord

Picked the game up from Steam, and am having fun with the gameplay. However, the game is near unplayable for me because the sound keeps cutting out completely every few minutes. If I minimize the program the sound will kick back in, but that abrupt popping sound can't be good for my speakers. I have a similar issue in the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta (another EA game) but I have not run into this issue in any other games or applications.

I seem to be in an extreme minority though as I can't find any information about this issue online. I have reinstalled my sound drivers and both games but the issue still persists. Anyone have any ideas?

Shinjitsu said:
There's another Assault Rifle not counting the collector one you get from the Deluxe version

This is one of the few things that wind me up about this game there's just not enough weapons, ive got 3 assault rifles (collectors included) and unless im blind there's no real difference between them! I enjoyed finding new ones in ME1, now all I find is money :(

Darklord

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
anywhere to get the pre-order bonus code for the pc version ?!
pre-ordered 2 limited edition for me and my friend but didn't know amazon only give 1 code per customer :(

Call me crazy but can't someone just send you the file? With the 2 DLC's I got they were just a file to install.

OMG Aero

Just out of curiosity, on the mission to recruit Archangel, did anyone
use the renegade interrupt on the electric knife thing with the guy repairing the gunship? Does this stop you from having to fight the gunship and save Garrus from getting injured?

Shinjitsu

Banned
OMG Aero said:
Just out of curiosity, on the mission to recruit Archangel, did anyone
use the renegade interrupt on the electric knife thing with the guy repairing the gunship? Does this stop you from having to fight the gunship and save Garrus from getting injured?

Nope, he still gets shot up, it just makes the gunship a little weaker as far as I know

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm up to the end boss;
is there any ammo around? It doesnt seem hard but I'm basically out of everything bar my SMG ammo, which makes trying to hit the damn thing a grind on that ammo and extremely weak. I need rounds for my sniper or heavy pistol. All I've had is one Collector show up, but frankly its pretty useless as the ammo required to take it down once it's possessed negates the ammo colllected from its corpse.

_Xenon_

Banned
Rabbit Lord said:
So in my 2nd play through how do I set it up so
Shepard
dies?
Choose Morinth over Samara in Samara's personal mission and have sex with Morinth after beating the game.

Am I the only obsessed one who decides to sit down and play for a bit at like 1, 2ish AM and finds themselves looking at the clock and seeing its 8 AM?

Trickster

EatChildren said:
I'm up to the end boss;
is there any ammo around? It doesnt seem hard but I'm basically out of everything bar my SMG ammo, which makes trying to hit the damn thing a grind on that ammo and extremely weak. I need rounds for my sniper or heavy pistol. All I've had is one Collector show up, but frankly its pretty useless as the ammo required to take it down once it's possessed negates the ammo colllected from its corpse.

Seemed to like ammo just randomly appeared throughout the fight

_Xenon_ said:
Choose Morinth over Samara in Samara's personal mission and have sex with Morinth after beating the game.

Is that the general way Shepad dies in the game? Or is that just one of the ways you can kill your shep?

Amir0x

Banned
oh god I finally finished Mass Effect 1

I CAN'T WAIT TO START THIS NOW!

ohboyohboy

Oh I can download Blood Dragon Armor too thanks to Dragon Age!

I love you, Bioware!

Cuisino

Neo Member
just finished it. If a start a 2nd playthrough with my Character, will I be able to overwrite the save files from the first game? Or do I have to keep 1 save file from after the first playthrough?

Will I be able to switch between the 1st playthourgh and 2nd? Don't wanna destroy a potential "clear save" for ME3...

Amir0x said:

ohboyohboy

I love you, Bioware!

I envy those who didn't need to wait 2 years to see what happens next. Then again, we are going to have yet another wait to see the conclusion :(

I don't want Mass Effect 2 to enndddd. I'm loving it too much.

Amir0x said:

ohboyohboy

I love you, Bioware!
Game fucking rapes. You'll love it.

I'm really taking my time with everything. Scanning every planet until they reach "Depletion" status, getting upgrades, talking to crew members, etc. I think I've almost clocked around 13-15 hours and I've only recruited
Mordin, Garrus, and Jack

Amir0x

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
I envy those who didn't need to wait 2 years to see what happens next. Then again, we are going to have yet another wait to see the conclusion :(

I don't want Mass Effect 2 to enndddd. I'm loving it too much.

I had the game a while ago and played it a lot through, but got sidetracked and then annoyed by some features. Somehow, they didn't annoy me as much and I managed to up the patience to get through it this time, loved it a lot.

I wanted mainly to transfer my character for ultimate immersion.

Amir0x said:
I had the game a while ago and played it a lot through, but got sidetracked and then annoyed by some features. Somehow, they didn't annoy me as much and I managed to up the patience to get through it this time, loved it a lot.

I wanted mainly to transfer my character for ultimate immersion.

The "features" that annoyed you are likely gone in ME2. The only things that annoyed me in ME1 was the fact that every sidequest felt like a rinse and repeat exercise, and the inventory fucking blew ass. 1/3 of my ME1 playthrough was probably spent managing my inventory and deleting/selling items. But despite those problems ME1 is still one of my favorite games. Love the story, love the sci-fi, loved how everything came together.

Darklord

Banned
I had to laugh at the video game store alien in the citadel complaining that "I miss the old RPG's. These days it's all about big choices and visceral combat. I liked them when you had to drink water to stay alive and travel 5 hours real time to get places." and offering 2 credits for a trade in. :lol

taku

Cuisino said:
just finished it. If a start a 2nd playthrough with my Character, will I be able to overwrite the save files from the first game? Or do I have to keep 1 save file from after the first playthrough?

Will I be able to switch between the 1st playthourgh and 2nd? Don't wanna destroy a potential "clear save" for ME3...
I want to know this as well. I'm just at the end on my first try but I'll probably finish up some stuff with a second playthrough after this..

Trickster

taku said:
I want to know this as well. I'm just at the end on my first try but I'll probably finish up some stuff with a second playthrough after this..

If you're worried about this I imagine you could just go into the folder that have your save games, then copy the save game from your first playthrough before your start the second one?

-edit, unless you're playing the 360 version ofc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
MisterAnderson said:
Am I the only obsessed one who decides to sit down and play for a bit at like 1, 2ish AM and finds themselves looking at the clock and seeing its 8 AM?

You're not the only one, I've already lost a lot of sleep due to this game. It's fuckin hard to stop playing.
I'm just about at the last mission and I've done all the available sidequests. The game has been amazing but I'm bummed out that it's mostly over, I might end up finishing tonight.

Snuggler said:
You're not the only one, I've already lost a lot of sleep due to this game. It's fuckin hard to stop playing.

"Oh its only twenty to twelve, just abit longer"
Checks time
"What the fuck its 2am!?":lol

Cuisino

Neo Member
taku said:

I'm just curious if ME3 would recognise the 1st or 2nd playthrough clear save...

someone has to know?

mileS

Just turned fraps on for a bit to check my fps. Can anyone tell me why the fps forces itself down to 30 when I'm in conversations? I get a solid 60 when I'm doing anything else. Is there a way to change it so it doesn't do that?

mileS said:
Just turned fraps on for a bit to check my fps. Can anyone tell me why the fps forces itself down to 30 when I'm in conversations? I get a solid 60 when I'm doing anything else. Is there a way to change it so it doesn't do that?
Sounds like v-sync doing its work.

taku

Trickster said:
If you're worried about this I imagine you could just go into the folder that have your save games, then copy the save game from your first playthrough before your start the second one?

-edit, unless you're playing the 360 version ofc.
Sadly I am playing the Xbox 360 version (even though I've got a great computer ;'( )

Himuro said:
:lol

We have different definitions of the genre. My definition is all about customization, not dialogue trees.
Mass Effect 2's dialogue "trees" are very, very RPG Lite, though. It would be fairer to call them dialogue twigs. I actually think they do more to railroad your character "build" than the lack of customization does. You basically either play the generic good Shepard, the generic "evil" Shepard, or you play the game badly.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a great game for a lot of reasons, but if people think this is some grand new vision for "roleplaying", they are bananas. This is firmly on the wrong side of the game design fence for me, i.e. on the "games should be interactive movies where I press buttons to 'win'!" side. Now, it's a very fun example of said design, but it's still pretty neutered, and continues the regressive slide of WRPGs in general and Bioware titles in particular (with Dragon Age being something of an exception).

mileS

Shake Appeal said:
Sounds like v-sync doing its work.

Yea but I was under the impression that it would just cap it at 60 and leave it. Not have to switch between 60 to 30 back and forth during conversations.

No_Style

Game fucking rapes. You'll love it.

I'm really taking my time with everything. Scanning every planet until they reach "Depletion" status

You have the patience of a saint.

I'll have to pick up ME1 again some day. I miss my save where Wrex lives and Kaiden dies. :(

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hey guys. I'm happy to see that the game's getting a lot of love and I've just finished a level 50 run in the first, but I'm completely lost. The whole "lost in the sandbox" theory was something I never really took seriously before but being bombarded with missions and assignments as soon as I got the Normandy I've no idea what is a good path to take.

So far Zaeed and Arcangel are in my squad, and the quarantine zone on Omega is pretty confusing (and a lot less linear, which is awesome). I've bought some weapon and personal upgrades in the markets with my "I'm Rich" cash, but do things get tighter later in the game and should I save up? :( The stores had the
engineering couplings
in stock so they're bought, but I want as many dudes to survive as possible.

Planet scanning hasn't even turned up yet and the galaxy map gameplay needs fuel? Ehh... Please tell me I'm worrying too much, I want to jump in but there aren't any guides and the wiki has zilch on the sequel.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is there a list of all the possible upgrades for the Normandy?
I want to get all of them before I finish and I've done all the upgrades that are available to me at the moment, I just want to be sure I have them all. I've got pretty much everything else all set, I don't have Jack's loyalty anymore but everyone else loves the Shep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom