• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

DennisK4 said:
Yeah, fewer characters but better fleshed out.

I know theres no way Bioware WONT have new squadmates (seems to be a big marketing bullet for them), but Id prefer it if we just got to choose from our ME1 and ME2 teams. Then your chosen squad members could each have a couple of missions.

phinious

Just beat the game last night like 20 minutes before I got the 3 red rings. Im just glad it held out till then.
I lost Mordin, but I would have prefered that Jack died. That chick made my penis soft.

Enosh

fastford58 said:
Ok, complaint 2:

I feel like the game is corralling me into progressing the story at some points. I don't have my team assembled and it is already trying to get me to jump through the Omega 4 gate.

On two occasions I have been forced to do missions that I didn't really want to do at that time. Minor gripe, but it goes along with my other gripe of not seeming to have as much freedom at the Citadel etc.

It is by no means game breaking.
there are consequences for not doing it right away

Speculator

BioWare Austin
fastford58 said:
Ok, complaint 2:

I feel like the game is corralling me into progressing the story at some points. I don't have my team assembled and it is already trying to get me to jump through the Omega 4 gate.

On two occasions I have been forced to do missions that I didn't really want to do at that time. Minor gripe, but it goes along with my other gripe of not seeming to have as much freedom at the Citadel etc.

It is by no means game breaking.
Story wise, its actually consequential to the overall story arc. So you actually had to strategize what quests to fulfill before tackling the main plot.
*beaten

Dennis

Banned
mjemirzian said:
I was unimpressed with ME2 both as an open ended morale based WRPG and as a FPS/RPG hybrid. My review below (spoiler free).

http://readerreviews.ign.com/rrview/tv/mass_effect_2/14235019/117511
I have a number of complaints about ME2 - primarily the reduction in RPG elements and exploration.

But you conclude that ME2 is mediocre and that is fucking laughable. It is a 9.5/10 game that could have been a 10 if Bioware would have dared challenge the mainstream with some complex RPG goodness.

Mediocre? 6/10? Please.

:lol :lol :lol

Did I give you the attention you craved?

Ruuppa

Haunted said:
and that's why a diverse cast is important. :D

And yet the interesting ones are mixed with the uninteresting ones. A romance with Mordin would have been great.

fastford58 said:

This. I was just rolling around the galaxy, finishing up loyalty guests and whatnot after getting the last crew member, and boom! Do this or
your expendable goons bite it!

Of course I ignored it and went ahead finishing all the quests, then went to the final mission and
my goons were right liquefied. A bummer. And trying to roll back to an earlier save was no use, since the deal-breaker happens on the IFF-quest, which was ages ago..

Some forewarning would have been appreciated, dammit :(

Anyone else extremely impressed by the marketing of this game? I'm so glad that both Bioware and EA realized how fucking incredible this product is. I hope a duology pack is out for PS3 by the end of the year so we can get that extra money put into ME3.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Haunted said:
and that's why a diverse cast is important. :D
I was thinking that when I wrote that reply. :lol

Jacob is the most down-to-earth person on the ship. I respect that. Probably the only person I'd consider a friend on the ship out of the new people. Apparently the only friends I feel like I have at the end of chapter two are Tali and Jacob. Jack is too emo, Grunt is too into his own thing, Samara is too formal and just, Legion is a robot, Miranda is too self-centered, Mordin is too weird, and I really don't appreciate Thane's outlook on personal responsibility. Garrus is barely worth mentioning. Dude didn't do shit.

Dyno

Last night I was pretty tired, pretty drunk too. I let Thane down. I just couldn't do that critical mission properly. I don't think I'll ever get his loyalty.

ianp622

BobsRevenge said:
I was thinking that when I wrote that reply. :lol

Jacob is the most down-to-earth person on the ship. I respect that. Probably the only person I'd consider a friend on the ship out of the new people. Apparently the only friends I feel like I have at the end of chapter two are Tali and Jacob. Jack is too emo, Grunt is too into his own thing, Samara is too formal and just, Legion is a robot, Miranda is too self-centered, Mordin is too weird, and I really don't appreciate Thane's outlook on personal responsibility. Garrus is barely worth mentioning. Dude didn't do shit.
Xenophobe.

Dennis

Banned
And another thing about your mediocre review, mjemirzian:

You write - "The majority of the game is one large side quest dealing with recruiting teammates". That was not a sidequest. The recruitment of characters is the main story in ME2. The whole game centers around this.

notworksafe

Finally got my Dr. Pepper codes! After searching all around for right bottles, I went for gas at the place across the street from my house and there they were.:lol

Quick question: So I've saved Jack and Miranda's loyalty missions for last. How much Paragon do I need to avoid
losing the loyalty of one of them

Dennis

Banned
notworksafe said:
Finally got my Dr. Pepper codes! After searching all around for right bottles, I went for gas at the place across the street from my house and there they were.:lol
Promotion works!

LiK

DennisK4 said:

You write - "The majority of the game is one large side quest dealing with recruiting teammates". That was not a sidequest. The recruitment of characters is the main story in ME2. The whole game centers around this.
Correct

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DennisK4 said:

Honestly, they were kind of structured to feel like sidequests. I eventually understood that it was the main story, but it really could've been done better.

I mean, ME2 does story far better than most games. But you can see where there could've been improvements.

I really think they should've had, like, two less characters so they could focus more on the others.

Nemesis_

DennisK4 said:

I think he was trying to say that the game feels like on big side-quest, in that it's not epic enough.

But then again the whole review is one big horrific mess so I am not sure if my interpretation is correct.

kitzkozan

Dark FaZe said:
Anyone else extremely impressed by the marketing of this game? I'm so glad that both Bioware and EA realized how fucking incredible this product is. I hope a duology pack is out for PS3 by the end of the year so we can get that extra money put into ME3.

I heard that Microsoft had a hand in the marketing of Mass effect 2.Could it be part of a deal to keep it exclusive or something(Microsoft marketing the game and assuring EA of strong sale on the Xbox 360?).

I can't see EA being behind the marketing of this game when Dragon age was beyond horrid(and I'm sure it's EA that was behind the marketing of that game). :lol

sdornan

The only real complaint I have about the game is that there wasn't enough development in the overarching trilogy plot. Seemed to be a lot more of that in the first one.
I think lacking a real main villain is the reason for this.

Also, it seems really weird that "building your team" is the theme of the second installment of a trilogy, even though you already did that in the first game. But I guess that is largely a result of having to cater to both newcomers and veterans of the first game.

As a game though, and overall, it's fantastic.

FleckSplat said:
Has anyone experienced the "Shepard likes to role play as a typewriter" glitch?

You enter cover (usually by a door) but you are facing the wrong way. When you pop out to shoot it takes a second for the character to get in place, then you let go and the wrong-facing character moves sideways without animation and it's like starting a new line on a typewriter?

Weird.

no but i had him randomly walk for a few seconds alot after cutscenes and sometimes after going int cover

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Fuck man, ashbash159 - fix your damn spoilers!

It's to the point where I'm gonna stop visiting this thread completely till I beat the game if people are still going to let things like that which are obvious spoilers out like nothing.

Use your head - if it anything that hasn't happened or been hinted at in the first hour of the game, it's probably a spoiler!

WTF

I got Advanced Training twice yesterday and I chose Barrier then Warp Ammo, thinking that I could have both as there was space in the Wheel for two more abilities. Yet today I see that the Warp Ammo has replaced my Barrier, and yet there is still one place left in the Wheel.

I liked Jacob a lot better before, when he pulled someone in battle, he screamed "Gravity's a mutha, huh?"

Which is, like, retarded for so many reasons

JoeMartin

Draft said:
Confirmed. I heard it too. But I think she actually names the Drone. (not Boo, though.)

Oh shit, how did I not recognize this. :lol :lol

EDIT: Checking into the "Jacob is my least used party member" crew.

Thane really is the best. He's a headshot machine with an insane damage bonus. I'll take it.

Meus Renaissance said:
WTF

I got Advanced Training twice yesterday and I chose Barrier then Warp Ammo, thinking that I could have both as there was space in the Wheel for two more abilities. Yet today I see that the Warp Ammo has replaced my Barrier, and yet there is still one place left in the Wheel.

im pretty sure you can only get one extra bonus ability...u can do advanced training multiple times to change what that ability is...but u get one.

Dennis

Banned
kitzkozan said:
I can't see EA being behind the marketing of this game when Dragon age was beyond horrid(and I'm sure it's EA that was behind the marketing of that game). :lol
With Dragon Age, Biowares thinking probably went something like this: Well, we already got the hardcore gamer onboard with this Baldurs Gate 2-like RPG, so lets get the mainstream with a kick-ass ad campaign featuring Marilyn Manson and the New Shit.

Draft

So apparently there's a bad ass sniper rifle hidden somewhere in Thane's loyalty mission? Damn I hate missing something like that. Is there a method in the game to buy weapons or upgrades you may have missed?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ShockingAlberto said:
I liked Jacob a lot better before, when he pulled someone in battle, he screamed "Gravity's a mutha, huh?"

Which is, like, retarded for so many reasons

Was that in a cut scene?

Draft said:
So apparently there's a bad ass sniper rifle hidden somewhere in Thane's loyalty mission? Damn I hate missing something like that. Is there a method in the game to buy weapons or upgrades you may have missed?

Guess I missed it as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Draft said:

At least its not DLC thats impossible to legally get. Fuck that shit so hard and fuck you BioWare for doing it. I cant ever aquire a sniper rifle because I didnt purchase a specific version of the game, digitally? Fuck you again. Always -1 respect to a developer for moves like that.

Never cut content for gamers and prevents them from aquiring it all. Never.

I think, pound for pound, all the characters in ME2 are better than ME1. I kind of hated everyone who wasn't Wrex or Tali in that game. The problem is that there was probably too many of them.

In ME1, Wrex factored pretty majorly in to the actual story. Tali's civilization was at war with one of the antagonists in the game. Garrus wanted to take Saren down because he was a cop with a strong sense of justice and was being stonewalled, Liara's mother was a major villain, and then there were the two humans.

In ME2, it's Shepard's Space Adventure. Everyone had motivations, but they were basically just "This is bad, we should stop it!" They all had backstory and were mostly interesting characters, but I just never bought their involvement in the actual main story.

ME2 felt more like a set of vignettes connected by Shepard, which may have been the actual intention. I just liked how cohesive the first game felt.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Is there any list on weapon models and where you find them? I have 3 assult rifles so far (and as a soldier it's the only slot I care about) and I want to know if I've missed some.

FrankT

Caspel said:
BioWare sent over the Mass Effect N7 Shirts to giveaway. I have 9 of them left and will be giving them away on my publication's twitter.

http://twitter.com/GameZoneOnline

I'm in.

Finished my first run last night. Over 48 hours. An incredible experince and I really do think the wait for 3 is going to be that much harder this time around. Fall 2011 would be ideal Bioware. Just saying. :D

Ruuppa

Draft said:
The Widow anti-material rifle? I found that on infiltrating the Collector ship for the first time. And it does kick ass.
DennisK4 said:
Collector ship mission. This gun or a weapon specialization is your choice
Huh. I guess it changes depending on what you have at the time. I had the
Cain
researched before going on the mission.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
LTTP on this question I'm sure, but for those who got the Steam/PC Digital Deluxe edition, how are you supposed to get the non-game bonus content? The music specifically. I've got all the in-game stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom