• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupei

Loyalty related question for near the end:
How much do I have to build up my Paragon meter to get Miranda to talk to me once she's become angry over Jack? I've been assuming I have to build it up nearly all the way, but wanted to be sure.

stupei said:
Loyalty related question for near the end:
How much do I have to build up my Paragon meter to get Miranda to talk to me once she's become angry over Jack? I've been assuming I have to build it up nearly all the way, but wanted to be sure.
80%.

ianp622

I had this crazy idea after finishing ME2.

So I think this game it a little front-heavy. From the beginning to about 15 hours in, I thought this would be my favorite game of all time. Starts out with a bang, great characters, and interesting missions. However, after I had done the majority of the loyalty quests, things started to peter out - my squadmates wouldn't talk much anymore, some of the loyalty quests weren't up to the standard of some of the others, and there wasn't that much impetus to continue. I was still enjoying myself, but it seems like it burned out too soon.

So when school and stuff dies down, I'm thinking of doing a "Director's Cut" - since this is a game that lets you decide how things play out, I'm going to go through and redo things that I loved doing and forget about the things that I didn't. I'll also play through mostly Renegade, and as a female this time.

I call it a cut because I think some parts just didn't work out that great, and I think by changing the missions I take on, I can improve it, given that I have a general idea of what missions are good and which ones aren't. Also, I don't have to go to every team member after every mission when I know they aren't going to say anything (this really broke immersion for me).

So I'll plan out my recruitment and loyalty missions so that I play the ones I like in increasing order of quality. This should shift the balance of the game and provide a more satisfying conclusion. And on the way, I'll find new outcomes that I didn't get to see the first time.

Of course I would have hoped that the main storyline gave the recruitment missions more structure, but in a way I think it's good that they give some freedom to the player. I just need to do something constructive with that freedom.

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? My greatest fear is that my initial reactions were from the novelty of the game and the missions, and that this won't change how I feel about the game, but I don't think this is the case.

Man, what I wouldn't give for extra loyalty missions as DLC. We have enough characters.

Dresden

I finally got around to using my Inferno armor code, and that thing is fucking ugly. What the hell, the promos made it look like Iron Man armor, but in reality, it's clunky and the front of the helm is see through.

kingkitty

On the shagging aspects:
I got Shepard to have sex with Morinth and she ended up killing him. Made me lol.

Also, I didn't figure you could shag the Chambers chick, too bad I did some extra missions before the suicide level which ended up getting her killed. I guess I'll get Shepard to bed her in my second run.

ianp622 said:
I had this crazy idea after finishing ME2.

So I think this game it a little front-heavy. From the beginning to about 15 hours in, I thought this would be my favorite game of all time. Starts out with a bang, great characters, and interesting missions. However, after I had done the majority of the loyalty quests, things started to peter out - my squadmates wouldn't talk much anymore, some of the loyalty quests weren't up to the standard of some of the others, and there wasn't that much impetus to continue. I was still enjoying myself, but it seems like it burned out too soon.

So when school and stuff dies down, I'm thinking of doing a "Director's Cut" - since this is a game that lets you decide how things play out, I'm going to go through and redo things that I loved doing and forget about the things that I didn't. I'll also play through mostly Renegade, and as a female this time.

I call it a cut because I think some parts just didn't work out that great, and I think by changing the missions I take on, I can improve it, given that I have a general idea of what missions are good and which ones aren't. Also, I don't have to go to every team member after every mission when I know they aren't going to say anything (this really broke immersion for me).

So I'll plan out my recruitment and loyalty missions so that I play the ones I like in increasing order of quality. This should shift the balance of the game and provide a more satisfying conclusion. And on the way, I'll find new outcomes that I didn't get to see the first time.

Of course I would have hoped that the main storyline gave the recruitment missions more structure, but in a way I think it's good that they give some freedom to the player. I just need to do something constructive with that freedom.

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? My greatest fear is that my initial reactions were from the novelty of the game and the missions, and that this won't change how I feel about the game, but I don't think this is the case.

Man, what I wouldn't give for extra loyalty missions as DLC. We have enough characters.

Its a ridiculously ambitious series. It wants the combat of a perfect TPS with the dialog, story, characters and voice acting of a top RPG all in a fairly freeform design. I think you just have to appreciate it for what it is, because there are some not-so-obvious problems.

ianp622

TheHeretic said:
Its a ridiculously ambitious series. It wants the combat of a perfect TPS with the dialog, story, characters and voice acting of a top RPG all in a fairly freeform design. I think you just have to appreciate it for what it is, because there are some not-so-obvious problems.

Yeah, and I feel it succeeds in most aspects. It just seems like after building up the relationships from the loyalty missions, I wish the game would do more with it. Like Thane, talking to him and finding out about his past, and his communication with his son. The other characters aren't as fleshed out as well past their loyalty quests.

careful

Revelations said:
You gotta finish the game first and foremost. After that I dunno. maybe just talk to her and tell her to meet you upo there.

Gotta link to the youtube vid?
Yeah it worked. Had to talk to her after finishing the game, then you can use the second laptop on your desk to call her up.

kingkitty said:
On the shagging aspects:
I got Shepard to have sex with Morinth and she ended up killing him. Made me lol.

Also, I didn't figure you could shag the Chambers chick, too bad I did some extra missions before the suicide level which ended up getting her killed. I guess I'll get Shepard to bed her in my second run.
After finishing the last mission, I was able to sleep with the two other chicks. I ended my romance with Tali (having already slept with her before going on the suicide run), then went to talk to Miranda (love making cut scene right after talk), and finally broke up with Miranda and went to talk to Jack (cut scene right away also). Plaaaaya. :lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
firehawk12 said:
Someone made a save game editor for the PC version:
http://mod.gib.me/masseffect2/saveedit_rev23.zip

What's interesting is that there's a flag to set the character's gender (isFemale = true/false)... what I wonder is how the game might break (or whether you can even break it after the character is created) if you change this to the opposite gender.

'cause I'm sure we'll have thousands of Miranda/FemShep videos if that were the case. :lol
Or the opposite, though none of the male characters are interesting.

Darklord

Banned
Do ship upgrades actually do anything? I mean if I fully upgrade or don't upgrade anything will the effects be seen later in the game?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Darklord said:
Do ship upgrades actually do anything? I mean if I fully upgrade or don't upgrade anything will the effects be seen later in the game?

Yep, they are important to end game.

hateradio said:
Or the opposite, though none of the male characters are interesting.

Ah, there are enough Garrus fans amongst the female population I imagine. :lol

Has anyone come across a glitch in the side mission where
Batarians launch two javelin missiles at a human colony, one headed for the Alliance spaceport and another headed for the capital city and you have to choose to save only one
? If I choose one, the journal mission complete says I chose the other. But then in the mission complete screen it says I chose the one I actually chose. So what do I go by? The mission complete screen or the journal entry?

MisterAnderson said:
Has anyone come across a glitch in the side mission where
Batarians launch two javelin missiles at a human colony, one headed for the Alliance spaceport and another headed for the capital city and you have to choose to save only one
? If I choose one, the journal mission complete says I chose the other. But then in the mission complete screen it says I chose the one I actually chose. So what do I go by? The mission complete screen or the journal entry?

Actually, I would just pick with one you want. They'll probably patch that error later.

mYm|17|

Well I just got finished with Legion's loyalty mission.
Then Tali and him got into a fight and I had to choose. I chose Legion :lol , now Tali is not loyal to me anymore. Am I screwed, cause they are installing the IFF now.

Darkman M

mYm|17| said:
Then Tali and him got into a fight and I had to choose. I chose Legion :lol , now Tali is not loyal to me anymore. Am I screwed, cause they are installing the IFF now.

You didn't have high enough renegade or Paragon? glad i didn't have to choose :D

MisterAnderson said:
I'm sure this is too late, but if anyone has an unused Terminus code/Worm hole gun code or whatever from the Gamestop preorder bonus, I'd gladly take it off your hands and compensate you for it somehow (I'm thinking money, sorry no blowjobs). I have the PC version if it matters.

I downloaded the zipfile or whatever for the terminus stuf but havent used it on pc cause I got it on 360...I just downloaded it to just dl it cause it gave me the option. but as I said I dont have the PC game so it hasnt been used yet, can I still give it to you? would it still work?

Patryn

mYm|17| said:

Basically, yes. The only way to undo what you did is to have 100% either way, and if you couldn't resolve the situation when it occurred, then I know you're nowhere near that mark.

If you have more quests, maybe, MAYBE you'd be able to do it, but at where you are, your crew is going to start dying if you do them. You might luck out on the suicide mission, though. Some people got everyone out alive with a nonloyal squad member.

Darklord

Banned
Revelations said:
Yes it is part of keeping your crew alive.

Well shit. I just lost my whole crew in that Joker mission. I hope that wasn't the bit where you needed to keep them alive. I better get them back. :lol I'm pretty sure I had all the upgrades...

mYm|17| said:

reload a previous save. Do it now!

Darklord said:
Well shit. I just lost my whole crew in that Joker mission. I hope that wasn't the bit where you needed to keep them alive. I better get them back. :lol I'm pretty sure I had all the upgrades...

bail out dude. Always keep a save before a major event.

Patryn

Darklord said:

What happened is supposed to happen. HOWEVER, if you do not immediately progress into the Omega Relay, they will begin to die. The longer you dilly-dally the more will die. Do enough quests and they will all die.

However, if you haven't gotten a totally loyal crew and an upgraded ship, your squad may die (and your crew as well, as a side effect). Your choice.

mYm|17|

Revelations said:
reload a previous save. Do it now!

Good thing I saved it on the Normany before I did Legion's loyalty mission, but I don't think it will matter anyways. It wouldn't let me choose either a Paragon or Renegade choice.

I made some stupid choices and I didn't know they would turn out to be Paragon :lol . Now I am a Renegade that has some compassion.............boooooooooooooo

Red

Any help for the Tali recruitment mission on insanity? I'm at the part where
I'm supposed to be taking down a Geth Colossus while fending off wave after wave of geth troops. But how the hell do you kill this thing? Even with the quarian marine shooting rockets at it, I can't make a dent. It just keeps healing. I'm repeatedly being overwhelmed by the geth. It's really frustrating.

mYm|17|

Crunched said:
I'm supposed to be taking down a Geth Colossus while fending off wave after wave of geth troops. But how the hell do you kill this thing? Even with the quarian marine shooting rockets at it, I can't make a dent. It just keeps healing. I'm repeatedly being overwhelmed by the geth. It's really frustrating.

Well what I did was make sure to kill the guys coming from the right first. Then clear the left and move on up the left side. Then just keep on moving up the left side. They stop coming when you move up.

Eventually you will get close to the colossus and then just use whatever to kill it.

stupei

Crunched said:

I found it tricky on Veteran too, so I can't even imagine. One thing I noticed on my playthrough is
if you kill a lot of the Geth in the center first before approaching from the right, you'll be largely protected and really only have to deal with the Colossus itself. There's heavy ammo scattered in the area. Really, you're supposed to use that, I think. Do you have a useful heavy weapon equipped and, if not, did you save in the room where you saw Tali's communication? There's a weapon locker there to swap out your heavy to something more useful if you have a save from around then.

Not sure how much that helps, but good luck. That part can be nasty.

Patryn

Crunched said:

Bring someone with Overload to take out the shields, then hit it with Incinerate (preferred) or Warp. Incinerate should permanently halt the healing (according to the description, I forget if that kicks in for that particular encounter), while Warp may only temporarily stop the healing. Reave or Armor-Piercing Ammo may also work.

Make sure you get in close, as well. I went up the left side and he went down like a chump for me.

hateradio

firehawk12 said:
Ah, there are enough Garrus fans amongst the female population I imagine. :lol
I guess for the slash fan-girls ... but really none of the males seem interesting in terms of a romance, imo, for any purpose.

Personally Thane is the most ... appealing, but he seems out of touch with reality. If that flag works, I wouldn't mind attempting that :lol

Red

From what I understand from your suggestions is that there are not infinitely spawning enemies, but my experience has been different. I just counted forty two geth kills before dying and there were at least six more on screen :lol

I have the singularity projector equipped as my heavy weapon, but I don't have enough time to use it. I'm chucking warps and singularities from behind cover and hiding like a baby.
Patryn said:
Bring someone with Overload to take out the shields, then hit it with Incinerate (preferred) or Warp. Incinerate should permanently halt the healing (according to the description, I forget if that kicks in for that particular encounter), while Warp may only temporarily stop the healing. Reave or Armor-Piercing Ammo may also work.

Make sure you get in close, as well. I went up the left side and he went down like a chump for me.
I'm using Garrus and Mordin, overloading and incinerating like crazy. Neither one seems to be making a difference. Incinerate helps to deal with the
destroyers, but it hardly even scratches the colossus.
mYm|17| said:
The Tali recruitment mission on Insanity with my Vanguard wasn't too bad after figuring out what to do. Every other mission has been alright

The hardest parts for me were Jack's recruitment mission, Horizon (the end), Collector ship
(the floating part)
Only part that's given me much trouble so far story-wise is the last one you listed. It was ridiculous, I thought I might have had to quit playing and restart with a different class. My adept was dying in mere seconds. Eventually exploited the AI enough to avoid getting hit, for the most part.

There was a side mission early on that I couldn't possibly have finished. It involved
taking down three big mechs while protecting 20 fragile boxes. I died so many times, only being able to take down maybe a single mech that I gave up completely.

mYm|17|

The Tali recruitment mission on Insanity with my Vanguard wasn't too bad after figuring out what to do. Every other mission has been alright

The hardest parts for me were Jack's recruitment mission, Horizon (the end), Collector ship
(the floating part)

mYm|17|

Crunched said:
From what I understand from your suggestions is that there are not infinitely spawning enemies, but my experience has been different. I just counted forty two geth kills before dying and there were at least six more on screen :lol

I have the singularity projector equipped as my heavy weapon, but I don't have enough time to use it. I'm chucking warps and singularities from behind cover and hiding like a baby.

I'm using Garrus and Mordin, overloading and incinerating like crazy. Neither one seems to be making a difference. Incinerate helps to deal with the
destroyers, but it hardly even scratches the colossus.

Are you just staying still and killing them or moving up after you kill them?

Red

mYm|17| said:
Are you just staying still and killing them or moving up after you kill them?
Moving up the right side, getting swarmed after a few seconds. Three or four come from my left and one or two shoot me from the right if I move all the way up and down the ramp. I can deal with one or two at a time, but it's a massacre when I have more than that after me. Especially when there's a destroyer, and one of those usually accompanies the group that attacks from the left.

Patryn

Apparently there are a few infinitely respawning points. The only way to stem the tide is to progress until you hit the invisible point that stops the spawning.

You have to get close to the boss there to kill it, so you just have to figure out a way to move forward enough to stop the spawning, take out the cannon fodder, and then concentrate on the boss.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nose Master said:
ROFL @ Probing Uranus.
"Really, Commander?"
:lol

Then you actually do it and EDI says in a dry, humiliated tone "Probing Uranus", and every probe launched afterwards is said really monotone and dull, to the point where she eventually stops saying it.

Red

Patryn said:
Apparently there are a few infinitely respawning points. The only way to stem the tide is to progress until you hit the invisible point that stops the spawning.

You have to get close to the boss there to kill it, so you just have to figure out a way to move forward enough to stop the spawning, take out the cannon fodder, and then concentrate on the boss.
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Well looks like I have a long night ahead of me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Darklord

Banned
Patryn said:
What happened is supposed to happen. HOWEVER, if you do not immediately progress into the Omega Relay, they will begin to die. The longer you dilly-dally the more will die. Do enough quests and they will all die.

However, if you haven't gotten a totally loyal crew and an upgraded ship, your squad may die (and your crew as well, as a side effect). Your choice.

Oh man. :( Shit! I just did a mission and I still have a loyalty mission left. Lucky I read this at least.

mYm|17|

Crunched said:
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Well looks like I have a long night ahead of me. Thanks for the suggestions.
Just keep at it. You will get it.
Most of the missions, I have died LOTS of times, but you eventually figure out how to do it and it feels freakin great once you beat it.

Try what I did one time and see if that works. It did for me, but I was using my Vanguard.
Still, it might work for you too. I had Garrus and Miranda with me.

kingkitty said:
On the shagging aspects:

Cool. Is there a youtube for that?
Edit: nvm

I love how there is some stupid albiet cool stuff you can do after the game is over.

hateradio

mYm|17| said:
Just keep at it. You will get it.
Most of the missions, I have died LOTS of times, but you eventually figure out how to do it and it feels freakin great once you beat it.

Try what I did one time and see if that works. It did for me, but I was using my Vanguard.
Still, it might work for you too. I had Garrus and Miranda with me.
I died in that Tali mission a ton of times at the end [in Normal], pretty much due to the never ending re-spawning. Then I just finished that part in like 1-3 minutes by going to the right, so frustrating.

Having gotten to know him better, I'm really impressed with Thane's character. He has a lot of depth that I wasn't really expecting, and he's probably my second favorite new character after Mordin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom