• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mYm|17|

I'm just curious, but does anybody yell at the tv and say "shut the fuck up" when you are facing a Harbringer? :lol

I can't stand the obnoxious talking he is doing while I am trying to kill him.
I mean over and over he is constantly saying "I'm going to kill you Shepard"...................I get it already

Macmanus

Are the planet's with anomalies static or randomly generated for each play through? I'm assuming the former, and if so does anyone know which planets I should be visiting? I've only found one so far. The first one they sort of make you find.

Should finish my insanity run today. I've got my adept up to level 30 and I'm about to start the last mission. Is it me or do adepts kind of suck in this game? Well at least at a higher difficulty. There's so much emphasis on removing shields, armor, etc. and all that an adept has against those things is warp. It feels like my teammates are doing most of the work and I'm running around in the background throwing out warp and popping in some warp ammo shots and doing very little. Occasionally I'll use singularity, but usually by the time that's an option the enemy can easily be killed off with weapons. It's been a struggle with her but I'm almost done.

Solo

Macmanus said:
Are the planet's with anomalies static or randomly generated for each play through? I'm assuming the former, and if so does anyone know which planets I should be visiting? I've only found one so far. The first one they sort of make you find.

Static, I would assume.

Snookie

So I'm confused about the armor/weapons. I have the collectors edition armor and the inferno armor which already have bonuses. It seems to me the tech upgrades only work on the N7 gear, and not the special suits?

Also for the collectors assault gun. I have no clue if its more powerful than say some of the other assault rifles I pick up.

This may have been discussed but I cant seem to search on here.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Red Blaster said:
Right on the money. The story in ME2 just feels completely inconsequential at the end. I believe you mentioned earlier how it feels like a series of DLC missions tied together.

It took me awhile to sort out why, even though I greatly enjoyed ME2, it felt so different than ME1.

ME1 is a great sci-fi movie, and ME2 is a great season of sci-fi TV. I can't think of another game that takes this tactic for its narrative structure.

Everything in ME1 is very directly relating to and building up towards defeating Saren and the Reapers. In ME2 the driving force of the Collector threat is present in nearly every mission you do, but the missions are more focused and self-contained.

Once I started thinking "TV show" rather than "movie" the game made a ton more sense to me.

WuselDusel said:
Is there a bug with the research of Bonus Talents? I got the same talent twice, tehrefore I wastet 5000 EZ.

I did the same thing, and actually realized BEFORE I confirmed it but the game doesn't even let you BACK OUT.

:|

Patryn

tadcalabash said:
It took me awhile to sort out why, even though I greatly enjoyed ME2, it felt so different than ME1.

ME1 is a great sci-fi movie, and ME2 is a great season of sci-fi TV. I can't think of another game that takes this tactic for its narrative structure.

Everything in ME1 is very directly relating to and building up towards defeating Saren and the Reapers. In ME2 the driving force of the Collector threat is present in nearly every mission you do, but the missions are more focused and self-contained.

Once I started thinking "TV show" rather than "movie" the game made a ton more sense to me.

The whole thing is a much more intimate tale. ME2 eschews the epic scope of ME1 for a small revenge story. Rather than being about the galaxy and this great threat to all these species, it's the story of these 12 people, Shepard in particular.

I think anyone who calls this game epic in any way is deluded. Sure, you may visit more of the galaxy, but the threat is really confined, and the whole thing can be summed up as
Shepard gets killed, comes back, and assembles a team to take down the person who killed her.

If ME1 was Star Wars, ME2 is The Dirty Dozen, a vaguely inconsequential tale happening at the same time as this great conflict.

Won

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Should finish my insanity run today. I've got my adept up to level 30 and I'm about to start the last mission. Is it me or do adepts kind of suck in this game? Well at least at a higher difficulty. There's so much emphasis on removing shields, armor, etc. and all that an adept has against those things is warp. It feels like my teammates are doing most of the work and I'm running around in the background throwing out warp and popping in some warp ammo shots and doing very little. Occasionally I'll use singularity, but usually by the time that's an option the enemy can easily be killed off with weapons. It's been a struggle with her but I'm almost done.

Yeah, it's the main reason why still haven't gotten that far with my insanity playthrough. Wanted to have some biotic action after going through as Soldier on normal, but there doesn't seem to be a point to biotics on insanity.
That said, I guess Area Reave helps the Adept here?

WuselDusel said:
Is there a bug with the research of Bonus Talents? I got the same talent twice, tehrefore I wastet 5000 EZ.

If you only have one loyal crewmember, then the game can only give you the one ability that person has.
But not sure what you actually mean.^^

Playing the game on Insanity is an absolute blast. It feels great to bring along the right people and then breeze through. I've been using mostly Miranda and Jacob, but I brought along Grunt for the
Horizon
mission and made it through on the first go. If the cover system had the snap from a distance feature like Gears it would be the greatest game ever made. Also, Reave is amazing.

derFeef

Won said:
If you only have one loyal crewmember, then the game can only give you the one ability that person has.
But not sure what you actual mean.^^

Actually, I have no loyal crewmember. The sytem is weird because it does not tell you what talent you are going to reaseach.

Won said:
Yeah, it's the main reason why still haven't gotten that far with my insanity playthrough. Wanted to have some biotic action after going through as Soldier on normal, but there doesn't seem to be a point to biotics on insanity.
That said, I guess Area Reave helps the Adept here?

I used reave for a bit and it was somewhat helpful, but switched to warp ammo and it made things a bit easier.

Patryn said:
The whole thing is a much more intimate tale. ME2 eschews the epic scope of ME1 for a small revenge story. Rather than being about the galaxy and this great threat to all these species, it's the story of these 12 people, Shepard in particular.
Yes! I think I'm in the minority (at least on GAF) that connected with this story so much more than ME1. I cared about my party more than I ever have for game characters.

What Bioware needs to do next though, is keep the majority of this party for ME3. They'll be able to keep the personal aspect while becoming much more plot-focused again, as a finale should be.

FrankT

ThirdEngine said:
Playing the game on Insanity is an absolute blast. It feels great to bring along the right people and then breeze through. I've been using mostly Miranda and Jacob, but I brought along Grunt for the
Horizon
mission and made it through on the first go. If the cover system had the snap from a distance feature like Gears it would be the greatest game ever made. Also, Reave is amazing.

Getting ready for my insanity tour. Thinking Infiltrator after my Soldier run.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Andronicus said:
but how many people actually said it in the game? i dont recall anyone talking about element zero at any point, maybe EDI or jack?

I do not recall anyone saying eezo in the game was well.

Won

WuselDusel said:
Actually, I have no loyal crewmember. The sytem is weird because it does not tell you what talent you are going to reaseach.

Eh, it allows you to choose one of the abilities your crewmembers get after you do their loyalty quests.
The option shouldn't be availabe before you did one of them and if you only have one it doesn't give you an option to choose since there obviously is only one.

Jrmint

So about 2 hours into my Insanity playthrough with a Soldier after beating it on normal with an Infiltrator.

It doesn't seem that much harder to be honest, sure the enemies take a good bit longer to die and they all have armor now, but it is just a matter of being more careful and taking your time than anything. The one difficult thing will be the bigger enemies like the big mechs, the initial one you fight on Freedoms Progress was kinda difficult so I can see them being a little tricky, same with the Scions.

Overall though it seems like it should be manageable. Is this an accurate assessment from those who have beat it on Insanity already?

Won

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I used reave for a bit and it was somewhat helpful, but switched to warp ammo and it made things a bit easier.

Not good to hear. :(

Looks like I will either go Infiltrator or Engineer on insanity. I hope I can make up my mind soon. :lol

Skel said:
So about 2 hours into my Insanity playthrough with a Soldier after beating it on normal with an Infiltrator.

It doesn't seem that much harder to be honest, sure the enemies take a good bit longer to die and they all have armor now, but it is just a matter of being more careful and taking your time than anything. The one difficult thing will be the bigger enemies like the big mechs, the initial one you fight on Freedoms Progress was kinda difficult so I can see them being a little tricky, same with the Scions.

Overall though it seems like it should be manageable. Is this an accurate assessment from those who have beat it on Insanity already?
Pretty much. I really can't tell a difference with how much damage you can take. It's all about placing your team in a good position and then having to aggro enemies into your killzone.

Trickster

Skel said:

Damn, I tried on hardcore after completing it on veteran, I got so frustrated during combat that I had to switch back to veteran to be able to enjoy the game. You must be some kind of gaming god if you didn't feel the jump from normal to insanity ( with a soldier no less ), wasn't a big up in difficulty.

Jrmint

Trickster said:
Damn, I tried on hardcore after completing it on veteran, I got so frustrated during combat that I had to switch back to veteran to be able to enjoy the game. You must be some kind of gaming god if you didn't feel the jump from normal to insanity ( with a soldier no less ), wasn't a big up in difficulty.
Really? That is surprising. Like I said the big enemies were kind of a bitch, but I got through it. Then I did Zaedd's loyalty mission at the very beginning and got through without dying once. Like I said it is a matter of just taking your time and picking your shots.

Are Soldiers not good? When I played through on Infiltrator I basically played it like a Solider, which I probably shouldn't have done. I basically forgot all about my Tactical Cloak and just used Heavy Pistol and Sniper the whole way.

FrankT

Well that was a pretty hilarious bug. I made it to the final area with no teammates. It made for some pretty funny final cut scenes.

Arde5643

Skel said:
Really? That is surprising. Like I said the big enemies were kind of a bitch, but I got through it. Then I did Zaedd's loyalty mission at the very beginning and got through without dying once. Like I said it is a matter of just taking your time and picking your shots.

Are Soldiers not good? When I played through on Infiltrator I basically played it like a Solider, which I probably shouldn't have done. I basically forgot all about my Tactical Cloak and just used Heavy Pistol and Sniper the whole way.
Infiltrators also get the time slowdown ability when they use their snipers so hence why sniping is much easier and far deadlier with the infiltrators.

Anyone restarting Mass Effect 1 immediately after finishing Mass Effect 2 because they can't stand the idiocy of default ME2 choices?
I thought I'd be able to stomach the default choices, but since ME2 is so farkin good, I have to restart my ME1 game again to get the initial choices I want. :(

There should be an option to start an ME2 game with the assumption made that you did every sidequest in ME1 in either a Paragon or Renegade way. I know it wouldn't be perfect, but it would at least let you play around with characters in ME2 a bit more.

Kittonwy

Banned
I'm like 1 hr into the game and I already hate the decryption bullshit, both types of them I found disgusting. Shooting reticle is WAY better than before though, I don't get the whole "heatsink" ammo thing, they might as well just have an ammo system instead of "heatsinks" being ammo, the player basically runs out of heatsinks instead of ammo, which is kind of stupid. Cover system is better but still really not all that flexible, a bit like Gears now but a lot of places I can't take cover behind. Not really feeling the epicness yet, once again the codex is very well-done. Graphically it's better than the first game performance-wise but lacking effects like SSAO or tone-mapping, shadow quality is excellent though. Still don't get the whole "you are the only one qualified to save the entire galaxy" thing.

Darklord

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I'm like 1 hr into the game and I already hate the decryption bullshit, both types of them I found disgusting. Shooting reticle is WAY better than before though, I don't get the whole "heatsink" ammo thing, they might as well just have an ammo system instead of "heatsinks" being ammo, the player basically runs out of heatsinks instead of ammo, which is kind of stupid.

In the first game they made all those lore about not using normal ammo so instead of just screwing that up they took the first games overheating idea and applied it so it could act like ammo.

I'm a Soldier. Which is the best loyalty power that I can buy?

I hear a lot about Warp Ammo being pretty cool but there are a lot of interesting good ones.

What do you guys recommend?

JoeMartin said:
Except he was shown in video and was confirmed to be a playable character months before the game even launched. It's not like the screen shot ruined the suprise of how you come across him.

A lot of people, myself included, do not pay attention to any related news of any of their favorite video games before they are out.

I did this for mass effect 2, and I'm currently avoiding any news on FFXIII aside from the fact that its coming out on the 360 and PS3 as well.

Some people are like that

Samara

mYm|17| said:
I'm just curious, but does anybody yell at the tv and say "shut the fuck up" when you are facing a Harbringer? :lol

I can't stand the obnoxious talking he is doing while I am trying to kill him.
I mean over and over he is constantly saying "I'm going to kill you Shepard"...................I get it already

:lol :lol :lol
me too. I basically said

me: "OMg shut the fuck up."'
harbinger; this hurt you doesn't it?

The Lamonster said:

I hear a lot about Warp Ammo being pretty cool but there are a lot of interesting good ones.

Soldier has enough ammo powers - I'd go with a defensive buff, that way you can stay exposed and keep firing for longer periods of time.

FrankT

Confidence Man said:
Soldier has enough ammo powers - I'd go with a defensive buff, that way you can stay exposed and keep firing for longer periods of time.

Yea I went with barrier as I could prety much take the big hits and keep on moving.

Solo

Red Blaster said:
How do you punch the reporter? I only get the "People died. I don't have time for this crap!" responses.

By being a badass. She remembered that Id punched her in the first game, and when she stepped out of line again, my renegade RT button flashed and I had to smack a bitch again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Red Blaster said:
How do you punch the reporter? I only get the "People died. I don't have time for this crap!" responses.
Renegade option. I was kind of surprised he actually punched her. Would be funny if you could interrupt your Renegade actions with Paragon actions although I can only think of 2-3 situations where I would have done that (and I play pretty pure Renegade). Didn't bother me that he punched her but I wanted him to take the evidence too. Maybe it needs a follow-up Renegade action is all.

FrankT

Solo said:
By being a badass. She remembered that Id punched her in the first game, and when she stepped out of line again, my renegade RT button flashed and I had to smack a bitch again.

:lol

mYm|17|

The Lamonster said:

Fortification?
Warp
Reave

neojubei

Kittonwy said:
I'm like 1 hr into the game and I already hate the decryption bullshit, both types of them I found disgusting. Shooting reticle is WAY better than before though, I don't get the whole "heatsink" ammo thing, they might as well just have an ammo system instead of "heatsinks" being ammo, the player basically runs out of heatsinks instead of ammo, which is kind of stupid. Cover system is better but still really not all that flexible, a bit like Gears now but a lot of places I can't take cover behind. Not really feeling the epicness yet, once again the codex is very well-done. Graphically it's better than the first game performance-wise but lacking effects like SSAO or tone-mapping, shadow quality is excellent though. Still don't get the whole "you are the only one qualified to save the entire galaxy" thing.

Well Shepard did do it before in mass effect 1. She knows what it takes to save the galaxy when no one else will.

Solo said:

You can only do it if you punched her in ME1? Damn.

neojubei

Red Blaster said:
You can only do it if you punched her in ME1? Damn.

Nope, in ME1 I was polite and answered the questions since i was representing the alliance, in ME2, i smacked that witch.

Samara

Solo said:
:lol :lol :lol Oh god.

Also if I want to start a new career with a new Shepard, in what do I have to invest points in to have Renegade or Paragon? When the girls were fighting, I had neither. Miranda was pissed at me. But my bar was like 3/4 full of Paragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom