• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeMartin said:
Except he was shown in video and was confirmed to be a playable character months before the game even launched. It's not like the screen shot ruined the suprise of how you come across him.
I watched a almost all of the ME2 videos, but avoided 99% of the spoilers and went in not knowing about him.

An open slot means there's someone, no clue as to the nature of the character. As for announcing him, I certainly missed that (and thankfully, considering how late it is in the game).
I think knowing about that character, even more so that you can recruit them is a huge spoiler.

OMG Aero

Darklord said:
If they announce him as a recruitable character and have a clear open slot for him it's not a major spoiler. It's not like Dragon Age's where there was no lead up, no announcement, no open slot, just bam.
They never announced him as a recruitable character, they just made him out to be an evolved Geth that is stalking Shepard throughout the game. It was really obvious that he was going to be a party member though, I haven't even met the character in game yet and I had my suspicions but seeing a screen shot does ruin the surprise.

tHoMNZ said:
There's a mission in some shitty system and you fight lots of geth on it. And emerge with nothing. My last save game was 1 hour earlier too ><.. might just try the autosave on the planet and see if it owns me again

Holy Jesus, did this happen to anyone else??

tHoMNZ said:
There's a mission in some shitty system and you fight lots of geth on it. And emerge with nothing. My last save game was 1 hour earlier too ><.. might just try the autosave on the planet and see if it owns me again
Oh?

JoeMartin said:
Except he was shown in video and was confirmed to be a playable character months before the game even launched. It's not like the screen shot ruined the suprise of how you come across him.

don't try to reason with the people in here, its like talking to firewood

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy Jesus, did this happen to anyone else??

is he talking bout the planet where you cant see shit because of the sand storm? and you have to turn off some geth beacon? if so yes i came across it, you got like2k platinum from crates around it though.

Andronicus said:
is he talking bout the planet where you cant see shit because of the sand storm? and you have to turn off some geth beacon? if so yes i came across it, you got like2k platinum from crates around it though.

Yeah but did you lose all your minerals and shit?

JoeMartin said:
I managed to avoid finding out about him for all that time... and I'd wager many others did too. Some of us choose to avoid the previews, and endless trailers and screenshots for exactly that sort of reason.

They really made an effort to jump up the cinematics during the dialogue sequences in this game compared to the original. I'm about halfway through the game and
the end of Garrus's loyalty mission where he is looking down the sights of his rifle while Shep talks to his betrayer to set up the shot and Thane and Shep's tag team interrogation
were both really well done.

pringles

Psychotext said:
I managed to avoid finding out about him for all that time... and I'd wager many others did too. Some of us choose to avoid the previews, and endless trailers and screenshots for exactly that sort of reason.
Yep. I've been trying to stay away from this thread too as much as possible and just skim through to avoid spoilers. I had pieced together that there was some "surprise" crew member but I didn't expect a large-ass picture revealing it.
Oh well, it's not like it ruins the game. Right now the only spoilers that would really make me upset are ones regarding Lost S6 :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah but did you lose all your minerals and shit?
nope his game must have messed up

Also if you look at the planet Raisaris or Raisarus Description there is a typo where the element zero says "eezo":lol

something along the lines of an asteroid composed of mostly element zero impacted the planet but the impact was light enough that the "eezo" was distributed across the planets surface

unless eezo is some term that only fan fiction type people know about...lol

OMG Aero

Andronicus said:
nope his game must have messed up

Also if you look at the planet Raisaris or Raisarus Description there is a typo where the element zero says "eezo":lol

something along the lines of an asteroid composed of mostly element zero impacted the planet but the impact was light enough that the "eezo" was distributed across the planets surface

Eezo is a nickname for element zero in the game, the codex mentions it and every character says eezo instead of element zero.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont know how anyone in their right mind could like Grunt over Wrex. The more I talk to him the more boring he becomes.

Wrex at least attempts to offer some insight into who he is, why he and his people fight, and the problems of his people. He's cool, calm, and collected. When Wrex tells his stories he shows he's capable of rationalising beyond "LETS FIGHT STUFF", and shows respect for fellow warriors.

Grunt has nothing going for him at all. Every talk with him is about him wanting to fight something. How he likes to fight. How he has found out that fighting is really awesome. Thats it. He's got the disadvantage of being who he is, for sure, but he's probably the most boring and depthless character on the ship.

No stories, no insight, no nothing; just a whiny over aggressive young Krogan.

game is over i have too many resources and not enough money....i know some kind of resource selling is coming via dlc because i have like 400k of everything 100k of element zero and 2000 credits lol

still missing like 4 vendor upgrades

OMG Aero

EatChildren said:
I dont know how anyone in their right mind could like Grunt over Wrex. The more I talk to him the more boring he becomes.

Wrex at least attempts to offer some insight into who he is, why he and his people fight, and the problems of his people. He's cool, calm, and collected. When Wrex tells his stories he shows he's capable of rationalising beyond "LETS FIGHT STUFF", and shows respect for fellow warriors.

Grunt has nothing going for him at all. Every talk with him is about him wanting to fight something. How he likes to fight. How he has found out that fighting is really awesome. Thats it. He's got the disadvantage of being who he is, for sure, but he's probably the most boring and depthless character on the ship.

No stories, no insight, no nothing; just a whiny over aggressive young Krogan.
Yeah, I went on a mission with Garrus and Grunt to see if it would be like playing ME1 with Garrus and Wrex and it just wasn't the same.
I did laugh though when some drones appeared and out of nowhere Grunt just yells "NO FAIR THE DRONES CAN HIDE".

OMG Aero said:
Eezo is a nickname for element zero in the game, the codex mentions it and every character says eezo instead of element zero.

but how many people actually said it in the game? i dont recall anyone talking about element zero at any point, maybe EDI or jack?

SPEA

Once you buy the Medical Bay upgrade to fix your face, do you have to do anything after to remove your scars or are they just supposed to disappear after you buy it? I bought the upgrade but I seem to still have the scars.

SPEA said:
Once you buy the Medical Bay upgrade to fix your face, do you have to do anything after to remove your scars or are they just supposed to disappear after you buy it? I bought the upgrade but I seem to still have the scars.

go to the med bay and use the machine that is now in there

I want this game so bad, but I can't justify the price to myself. I'm glad so many people are enjoying it though, I'll get my turn eventually.

JoeMartin

pringles said:
Yep. I've been trying to stay away from this thread too as much as possible and just skim through to avoid spoilers. I had pieced together that there was some "surprise" crew member but I didn't expect a large-ass picture revealing it.
Oh well, it's not like it ruins the game. Right now the only spoilers that would really make me upset are ones regarding Lost S6 :lol

Oh come on it hardly ruins the surprise of the character. The fact that he's in your party isn't nearly as important or at all related to how it happens or the plot twist that he brings.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Thinking about playing female Shep for my second play through (renegade) I took a quick look, seems like ME2 has the same problem ME had where its difficult to make non-monstrous looking women.

And I also remember people here came up with a bunch of great options in the end. Any good female Shepard recipes knocking around?

Arjen

Ghost said:
Thinking about playing female Shep for my second play through (renegade) I took a quick look, seems like ME2 has the same problem ME had where its difficult to make non-monstrous looking women.

And I also remember people here came up with a bunch of great options in the end. Any good female Shepard recipes knocking around?

Nah, my femshep is pretty hot actually, even with the scars.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ghost said:

I like my Fem Shep.

15f5agz.jpg

Mostly though because she doesn't look like a princess, which I find most of the 'pretty' ones do.

mYm|17|

Andronicus said:
game is over i have too many resources and not enough money....i know some kind of resource selling is coming via dlc because i have like 400k of everything 100k of element zero and 2000 credits lol

What's with the abundance of Iridium and Pallidium? :lol
I just went to all the clusters and just scanned them so I could get the achievement.

Anyhow, i'm almost done and I stopped mining for minerals since I have so much and I only have like 90k in credits. I really only have enough money for like 1 upgrade left.

epmode

Ghost said:

I like to think I have one of the better ones around. I'll post a pic when I get home.

I have a few dozen ultra-high-res screens too, if anyone's interested. I've been taking shots of cutscenes since first getting the Normandy. Really incredible stuff, in all honesty.

No AA but resizing them down from 2560x1600 should add some naturally.

SPEA

Andronicus said:
go to the med bay and use the machine that is now in there
Hmm.. I didn't see anything there. The Med Bay is where the Dr. Lady is who you bring the brandy to in the beginning?

Lyonaz

So I bought my Xbox 360 arcade pretty much just for Mass Effect 1 & 2. :D

And Mass Effect doesn't disappoint! I love these games.
Finished ME1 in 1 week after neglecting it for 2 weeks when I bought it. (Blame Dead Rising, Ace Combat and Lost Odyssey)
Am currently 7 hours in ME 2, recruited only one squad member and in the middle of the 2nd one.

Well Mass Effect 2 looks so damn sexy and Omega is just pretty much awesome.

Now for my evolution of my paragon Elena Shepard!

Mass Effect 1
ElenaShepard-2-ME1.jpg

Mass Effect 2
ElenaShepardME2.jpg

Such a sexy lesbian James T. Kirk!:D

Although I wish I gave her some better lips. =(

Macmanus

Andronicus said:

Cute edit. Every character in the game says eezo at least once, and about half a dozen codex entries bring it up with that terminology. Take your ADHD meds and maybe you'll catch it next play through. Or simply read a little bit.

orion434

Andronicus said:

The only way you can currently make Credits is betting on those Dog fights or whatever they are. Save before then choose blindly and hope you make 250 credits. Save and repeat... it's gonna take awhile to make a substantial sum.

OMG Aero

How are people running out of credits? Are you buying everything you see? So far I have only bought things I need (Like the visor and a piece of armour that increases your ammo) and quest items and I'm rich.

Solo

OMG Aero said:
How are people running out of credits?

Beats the shit out of me :lol Im about 70% through the game as far as I can tell, have bought everything and anything Ive come across, and I still have almost 200,000 credits.

Spasm

EatChildren said:
The
imperfect Krogan
you meet on
Tuchanka
on your way to see
Dr. Okeer
is infinitely more interesting than Grunt. He's voiced by
Michael Dorn
to boot! I do like Grunt, just not as much as Wrex or
Mr. Imperfect
. Wish I coulda recruited him.

EatChildren

The credit system is pretty decent until you realise you cant buy everything easily. The worst part is wandering the galaxy. I've ran out of fuel once and it used up some resources to FTL jump me to the nearest Mass Relay, but I cant remember if it actually filled up my ship again.

If it doesnt, and you run out of dosh, you can say goodbye to exploring the galaxy.

Patryn

I think the prices in the stores scale for the what level of upgrade you're buying. So, for instance, if you didn't upgrade damage at all, and just went and bought all the damage upgrades first, they'd be cheap.

However, if you're fastidiously upgrading and hold off on buying everything, the upgrades suddenly cost upwards of 75,000 a piece, because they're all 4/5 and 5/5. That's how people run out of money.

I'm guessing.

EatChildren

Spasm said:
The
imperfect Krogan
you meet on
Tuchanka
on your way to see
Dr. Okeer
is infinitely more interesting than Grunt. He's voiced by
Michael Dorn
to boot! I do like Grunt, just not as much as Wrex or
Mr. Imperfect
. Wish I coulda recruited him.

Agreed. My beef with Grunt is that he's just like any other Krogan on a personality level.

The Krogan are a pretty boring and annoying race. They're fucking morons, obsessed with violence, have an extremely primitive and devolved culture, and generally dont get along with the rest of the galaxy due to their petty obsession with combat.

Its spelled out clearly throughout both games. Many of your enemies are Krogan. Many Krogan you talk to or see speaking are dolts. All lore you learn about Krogans is exactly the same; they destroyed their own planet, had the Salarians pull them out of their hole, and then pissed everybody off. They're still sorting their shit out.

Mordin even explains on the ship that
they made a mistake in helping the Krogans out. That the Krogan race was not cultually advanced enough to handle the technology the Salarians gave them, and the end result was catastrophic.

Hence why most people love Wrex. He's a Krogan at his core, but he's one of the most intelligent (if not the most) you run into throughout both games. He's humble, but not afraid to say it like it is. He's got stories to tell, and offers insight into his way of thinking. He's able to respect other combatants on an emotional level. He wants the best for his own species, moreso than pretty much all of them. He comes across as an intelligent, wise Krogan worth talking to.

Grunt doesnt. He's the same as every Krogan you run into throughout the game, only with even less of a back story. He's a total nobody with no worthwhile ambitions or conversational worth.

BioWare dropped the ball there, in my opinion. The most interesting characters in any story or game are the ones that defy stereotypes and expectations, or can offer insight and knowledge into something unkown. Grunt fails at both. He's easily my least favourite member of the crew, even more so than Miranda.

Karram

So I started playing the game immediately after finishing Mass Effect 1, and I'm surprised by how the combat has improved from the first game.

Spasm

Patryn said:
I think the prices in the stores scale for the what level of upgrade you're buying. So, for instance, if you didn't upgrade damage at all, and just went and bought all the damage upgrades first, they'd be cheap.

However, if you're fastidiously upgrading and hold off on buying everything, the upgrades suddenly cost upwards of 75,000 a piece, because they're all 4/5 and 5/5. That's how people run out of money.

I'm guessing.
Also, you can find the research projects lying on the ground in missions. I haven't bought a single research item for over 25k, and I'm 3/5 or 4/5 in almost everything.

orion434

Spasm said:
Also, you can find the research projects lying on the ground in missions. I haven't bought a single research item for over 25k, and I'm 3/5 or 4/5 in almost everything.

Yeah I think those "Salvage" caches on missions are items you could normally buy... for Shotguns at the end-game I had Damage Modification 6/6??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom