• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mYm|17|

Just finished it.

What a ride. I am ready for ME3

edit: Definitely going to go at it again. Good thing I don't need to do the Insanity achievement anymore

I got the No One Left Behind achievement too.........wooooooooo. Tali can suck it for not being loyal to me :lol

Alucrid

Banned
mYm|17| said:
Just finished it.

What a ride. I am ready for ME3

edit: Definitely going to go at it again. Good thing I don't need to do the Insanity achievement anymore

I got the No One Left Behind achievement too.........wooooooooo. Tali can suck it for not being loyal to me :lol

If you took the time to know her she probably would, but nooooo.

just started New Game + with my Vanguard on Hardcore, and the game is seriously kicking my ass compared to my normal playthrough. I actually have to use Unity now, which i hardly ever did before.

I think i'm just gonna make a brand new Infiltrator/Sentinel and try it on Insanity...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Can the ammo powers overlap? As in you have yourself with fire ammo fully upgraded with the whole party upgrade and thane with the shredder ammo fully upgraded with the whole party upgrade, everyone will get the effects of both?

Stallion Free said:
Can the ammo powers overlap? As in you have yourself with fire ammo fully upgraded with the whole party upgrade and thane with the shredder ammo fully upgraded with the whole party upgrade, everyone will get the effects of both?

I once asked this question here even though the answer was obvious. Hell no.

IMHO the only two ammo you'll need is Disruptor and Incendiary. Disruptor for shields/synthethics. Incendiary for everything else, great against the collector(way better than Shredder imho)

ExtraKr1spy said:
IMHO the only two ammo you'll need is Disruptor and Incendiary. Disruptor for shields/synthethics. Incendiary for everything else, great against the collector(way better than Shredder imho)

I used Warp out of laziness. Inferno Ammo is pretty sweet, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MegaKungFuRadio said:
I once asked this question here even though the answer was obvious. Hell no.

I wouldn't say the answer is obvious, they make no effort to deny it's possiblity in the description. If that's the case though, it kind of makes the party upgrade path pointless as I almost always had a party member with another ammo type.

Arde5643

Stallion Free said:
I wouldn't say the answer is obvious, they make no effort to deny it's possiblity in the description. If that's the case though, it kind of makes the party upgrade path pointless as I almost always had a party member with another ammo type.
Not really pointless though - heavy disruptor ammo + upgraded smg can kill heavy mechs in one clip while the squad disruptor ammo cannot.

Of course, having squad ammo means that you can have team members who don't have defense debuff on their own (like Mordin) instead of requiring you to always have squad members with debuff powers.

Hmmm. Did I accidentally lead Jack on? I had a conversation where
she asked if I was interested, I told her emphatically "no" twice, and now she just gets pissed at me when I talk to her.
Oops. :lol

Coxswain said:
That's almost exactly what they did, though. Almost every 'upgraded' weapon in Mass Effect 2 is a horizontal rather than vertical advancement.

I disagree. The Carnifex is only a sidegrade to the first pistol as long as you're actually still trying to use it as a primary weapon (which there's no reason whatsoever to do once you've got the SMG, which itself is a clear improvement over the machine pistol.) And while there might be something that's better about the first sniper rifle, I sure don't know what it is, and it'd be hard for it to outdo the ability to fire twelve times without a pause. (I'm playing Vanguard so I wouldn't know about the Assault Rifles.)

I mean, I don't actually mind the itemization that is there, but I literally never use the item locker to switch anything but my heavy weapon.

Papercuts said:
Oh...god damn I really missed it then, I already have everyone. :lol

One of the investigate options also leads to a "flirty" response, although I'm not sure if that one on its own is enough to get what you're looking for.

Alucrid

Banned
Pankaks said:
There needs to be a Shepard Jr. Tali can't provide that :p.

Has that been confirmed by Bioware yet? :lol Maybe it'll have Shepard's rigid jawline and Tali's chicken feet and immune system. Who knows.

KillerAJD

Just wanted to say...I think Mass Effect is one of my most favorite games ever. I just played a marathon 12 hours to finish it for my first time so I could play the sequel, and I loved every single minute of it. It's a damn fine game. Now, let's just see how the second one stacks up :D Wish me luck! I may end up not leaving this cave for another 24 hours! :lol Also, can't wait to get it on with
Tali
! :D

Arde5643

charlequin said:
Hmmm. Did I accidentally lead Jack on? I had a conversation where
she asked if I was interested, I told her emphatically "no" twice, and now she just gets pissed at me when I talk to her.
Oops. :lol

I disagree. The Carnifex is only a sidegrade to the first pistol as long as you're actually still trying to use it as a primary weapon (which there's no reason whatsoever to do once you've got the SMG, which itself is a clear improvement over the machine pistol.) And while there might be something that's better about the first sniper rifle, I sure don't know what it is, and it'd be hard for it to outdo the ability to fire twelve times without a pause. (I'm playing Vanguard so I wouldn't know about the Assault Rifles.)

I mean, I don't actually mind the itemization that is there, but I literally never use the item locker to switch anything but my heavy weapon.
If you're a soldier, the low ammo count of the heavy pistol (Carnifex) might be fine, but as other classes, it's much better to use the lesser damage but more ammo heavy pistol.

As far as sniper goes, for infiltrators it's always the widow - however for other classes that might not be able to get the widow or doesn't have the slowdown time ability, they might prefer the weaker but semi auto sniper rifle (viper).
The reason the infil always goes for widow compared to any other snipers is simple - cloak + slowdown ability when sniping.
The low ammo is never quite an issue since the infil always gets good shots.

Haven't used assault rifles or shotguns myself so I can't really comment on those weapon types.

Alucrid said:
Has that been confirmed by Bioware yet? :lol Maybe it'll have Shepard's rigid jawline and Tali's chicken feet and immune system. Who knows.
It's impossible for humans and quarians to mate since they have a different DNA system.
Quarians are dextro-amino I believe.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
charlequin said:
One of the investigate options also leads to a "flirty" response, although I'm not sure if that one on its own is enough to get what you're looking for.

Yeah, I've done that(a few times), nothing triggers. I think I just picked a different response planning to do the flirty one, but then it vanishes and you don't really get another chance.

krakov

I've been playing this game for about 8 hours a day these last few days and for the first few days I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping for. I guess my hypemeter was completely owerblown. Have to say though that the last few hours of the game was completely awesome. Never could have thought they would pull off such an EPIC endgame.

Weenerz

Banned
I became an engineer at the start of the game and have been sort of regretting it as the story has started to play out, is it possible to switch that decision in the middle of the story, or will I have to wait until the next playthrough to switch?

Arde5643

Weenerz said:
I became an engineer at the start of the game and have been sort of regretting it as the story has started to play out, is it possible to switch that decision in the middle of the story, or will I have to wait until the next playthrough to switch?
What's wrong with engineers?

They seem to be pretty good especially with overload, incinerate and combat drone.

AI hacking is also quite useful in any fight with mechs.

Weenerz

Banned
Arde5643 said:
What's wrong with engineers?

They seem to be pretty good especially with overload, incinerate and combat drone.

AI hacking is also quite useful in any fight with mechs.

I grow tired of pistols, I want to fuck shit up with assault rifles! Being a bad ass renegade means shit if I have a tiny gun!

Coxswain

charlequin said:

Both Pistols are far superior to the SMG for taking down Armour (which is your primary concern for a pretty significant chunk of the game, on Insanity), and if you don't have a Sniper Rifle (or certain, heavily upgraded Assault Rifles) they pretty handily beat the machine pistol for any sort of combat past mid-range. Heavy Pistols are a pretty important weapon type throughout the entire game. And even if you are sidelining it except for specific uses, neither gun is a clear winner. The Predator does a little under half the damage per shot that the Hand Cannon does, but fires twice as fast and fires twice as many shots before you need to reload, on top of having more than twice as much total ammo capacity. They're balanced quite well against each other.

The Viper can fire 12 shots uninterrupted, but it still takes about 8 seconds to empty that clip, which is more than enough time for enemies to kill you. The Mantis fires one shot that deals about as much damage as 3-4 shots from the Viper, and leaves you exposed to enemy fire for less than a second if you can line your shot up properly. For an Infiltrator, your first shot fired from a Cloak is up to 75% more powerful, making that one shot deal as much as upwards of 5 shots from the Viper, even giving the Viper the same first-shot bonus. The amount of hurt it can put out over time is really pretty competitive (possibly on-par/better for an Infiltrator), and it cuts the amount of enemy fire you've got to take to deal that damage pretty significantly.

You don't need to change your weapon loadout, because apart from the Shuriken there aren't any truly awful choices, but that doesn't mean that every weapon in a class isn't useful.

Edit:
Weenerz said:
I grow tired of pistols, I want to fuck shit up with assault rifles! Being a bad ass renegade means shit if I have a tiny gun!
You can train another weapon type once you reach a certain point in the story (can't miss it).

Red

Fuck fuck fuck I just red ringed doing Tali's loyalty quest fuck grahggggggggggg D;
Weenerz said:
Weenerz
(Today, 08:46 PM)
Reply | Quote

kuYuri

Blackstorm Projector is freaking badass. It's basically a weapon that fires Singularity. The explosion at the end looks nice too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Arde5643 said:
It's impossible for humans and quarians to mate since they have a different DNA system. Quarians are dextro-amino I believe.

You'd better believe Bioware is going to write "something" that can make it possible when pushed by the fans :lol

I imagine
Tali's
availability as romantic interest is made possible strictly because there are a large amount of fans wishing for it, hahaha.

Not that I'd complain Bioware is a company that listens to its fans ;)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Strider2K99 said:
Blackstorm Projector is freaking badass. It's basically a weapon that fires Singularity. The explosion at the end looks nice too.

It's useful against hordes of enemies but kinda useless against bosses.

Patryn

Weenerz said:

Never. Once a ME2 character is locked at the very start, they can never change their class, no matter how many NG+ games you start.

You'll have to either start a new character or re-import your ME1 one.

Out of curiousity, why do you regret it? Engineer is my favorite class. Incinerate just owns all (burns through Armor like butter), and Overload takes care of shields. Then drones can take attention off you, and the explosive drone can do decent damage for a short cooldown.

Plus, the class skill reduces all research costs by 25% at full level, and that means less mining.

Weenerz said:

You can get the ability to use Assault Rifles about halfway through the game.

Arde5643

Wren said:
So whats the consensus on best bonus talent for infiltrator?
Reave or warp ammo will be my best guess.

Cloak is the best unique skill in the game IMO.
Incinerate is one of the best skill for killing armor and all organics.
Heavy disruptor ammo completely destroys mechs/shield with upgraded smg.
AI Hacking is quite useful in any fight with mechs.

They definitely get some of the best abilities in the game compared to other classes.

Need advice-Gaf urgent!

Miranda just told me she'll meet me "when it quiets down" or something. Then I went to Tali and tried to get down, she told me to explain my feelings for her to Miranda! Oh snap! Who should I choose? Also, if I do one, can I do the other? I wanna see what Tali's got under her bat-suit!

GWX

Just finished the
Collector's Ship
mission, and DAMN, it was awesome.

Weapon upgrade spoiler:
The 80-round-per-clip assault rifle with insane damage power (and bullet spread) is also great, and feel powerful when using the soldier's Adrenaline Rush.

13 hours into the game so far, glad to know there's much more to come!

Cep

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Reave/Dominate/Warp Ammo.

Cloak/Tech Armor are the best unique skill in the game.
Reave is the best skill for killing armor and all organics.
Heavy disruptor ammo/Overload completely destroys mechs/shield with upgraded smg.
AI Hacking is quite useful in any fight with mechs. Dominate for organics.

In general, you are correct.

Infiltrator>Sentinel>Soldier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Others

IMO, All classes should pick up Reave, It is broken.

end game side stuff

Am I the only one that nearly DIED when I heard Mordin sing....who knew he had a set of pipes:lol I of course ended up with my dear lil Tali, it was so sweet, still can't believe they didn't show her face. Damn you BIOWARE! >.< Did anyone else get a sex talk from Mordin? Apparently oral could be lethal to my girl :/

Weenerz said:
Stick with your squadmates as engineers. You as the commander is useful in other aspects.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
VOOK said:
Any idea if there is a hack yet to change how your Sheppard looks, I made one but she is really ugly >_>

edit: PC version too

Anyone :(

Patryn

Cep said:
In general, you are correct.

Infiltrator>Sentinel>Soldier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Others

IMO, All classes should pick up Reave, It is broken.

Heavy Incinerate is better than Reave, if you ask me. One hit and armor was gone, decent chance person was dead too or at least really damn hurting.

Zeliard

Man, I wish I had left the Samara loyalty quest as the last one. My
Renegade and Paragon meters ultimately weren't high enough to get the option to pick Morinth over Samara, which I would have done (even though I like Samara).

But that's the beauty of replaying this type of game. Get to do some stuff differently.

Revelations said:
57 hours in and only done 5 loyalty quests and about 3 N7 missions. I want to savor this gem as long as I can.

What in the the what?

I thought I was taking forever with 37 hours, and like 3 loyalty missions left, but 57 hours is insane to me. Are you on Insane?

Cep

Banned
Patryn said:
Heavy Incinerate is better than Reave, if you ask me. One hit and armor was gone, decent chance person was dead too or at least really damn hurting.

Reave does more damage + Stuns + Heals you + Is equally effective against barriers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zeliard said:
Man, I wish I had left the Samara loyalty quest as the last one. My
Renegade and Paragon meters ultimately weren't high enough to get the option to pick Morinth over Samara, which I would have done (even though I like Samara).

But that's the beauty of replaying this type of game. Get to do some stuff differently.

Oh, it's decided like that? For me it said Kill Samara(top right) or Kill Morinth(bottom right), I always thought paragon/renegade only showed up on the left.

Zeliard

Papercuts said:
Oh, it's decided like that? For me it said Kill Samara(top right) or Kill Morinth(bottom right), I always thought paragon/renegade only showed up on the left.

You know those Renegade and Paragon options you get when
Morinth tries to mind control your ass? Well, both were grayed out for me at the time, so I had to pick the "I.... can't... think" option. Then the whole "Kill Samara/Kill Morinth" option didn't even show up at all for me. Samara just killed Morinth automatically, in one fluid animation.

Even though she doesn't seem to get a lot of love from the fans, I think Miranda is a great character. I just started a second run of the game, and it's like night and day with her compared to later in the game, and it all felt fluid to me when I was playing through it.

While she isn't one of my favorite characters, I think she developed very well over the course of the game.

suzu

razgriz417 said:
end game side stuff

Am I the only one that nearly DIED when I heard Mordin sing....who knew he had a set of pipes:lol I of course ended up with my dear lil Tali, it was so sweet, still can't believe they didn't show her face. Damn you BIOWARE! >.< Did anyone else get a sex talk from Mordin? Apparently oral could be lethal to my girl :/

Apparently everybody can get some advice from Mordin before that happens, lol.

"Don't uh, *cough* ingest." was what I got for Garrus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom