• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patryn said:
Never. Once a ME2 character is locked at the very start, they can never change their class, no matter how many NG+ games you start.

You'll have to either start a new character or re-import your ME1 one.

Wait, what happens if you re-import your ME1 character on a New Game +? You could change classes then?

Dresden

I'm pretty convinced at this point that the Engineer is the best damn character for Insanity, provided you have a nice bonus skill. Went through the
Collector Ship
without a single death. Combat drone is the best crowd control in the game, at least on that difficulty. Pop one next to a Harbinger or a Scion and they spend five or six seconds trying to kill it (and in the Scion's case, never, because they'll never get a shockwave off thanks to getting staggered by the electrical shocks from the drones).

Crowds are a joke. Pop a explosive drone, then overload or area reave, then mop up. So fast.

Zzoram

Dresden said:
I'm pretty convinced at this point that the Engineer is the best damn character for Insanity, provided you have a nice bonus skill. Went through the
Collector Ship
without a single death. Combat drone is the best crowd control in the game, at least on that difficulty. Pop one next to a Harbinger or a Scion and they spend five or six seconds trying to kill it (and in the Scion's case, never, because they'll never get a shockwave off thanks to getting staggered by the electrical shocks from the drones).

Crowds are a joke. Pop a explosive drone, then overload or area reave, then mop up. So fast.

I thought you could only pick Combat or Explosive drone, not both.

Revelations said:
57 hours in and only done 5 loyalty quests and about 3 N7 missions. I want to savor this gem as long as I can.

Wow, I beat the game in 16 hours doing a bunch of sidequest planets and all the loyalty missions. What are you doing?

Dresden

Zzoram said:
I thought you could only pick Combat or Explosive drone, not both.

Combat drone=regular drone

Attack drone is the alternative to the explosive drone. I said combat drones because you could just use a rank 1 drone for distraction/tanking purposes quite fine.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Upgraded warp ammo (not the squad one) vs. Inferno (upgraded incendiary ammo) ?

I already retrained it and dumped my points to max things out but I'm not sure if I chose wisely. :lol I went for the upgraded warp. I'm just scanning planets until I get my new 360 so wasting some Element Zero isn't too bad I hope.

Zzoram

bryehn said:
I have a lame side mission on my list that`s bugging the crap out of me. Little help?
A Krogan on the Citadel wants some sushi. The sushi chef never says anything but canned lines :/

Any fish I buy usually just end up dead cause I forget. I think there's one to buy on Illium right now, is that what I need to do?

You get Sushi on the Citadel I think.

Zzoram

Dresden said:
Combat drone=regular drone

Attack drone is the alternative to the explosive drone. I said combat drones because you could just use a rank 1 drone for distraction/tanking purposes quite fine.

So you're saying the Exploding Drone is the better option on Insanity?

Cep

Banned
Fyrus said:

I already retrained it and dumped my points to max things out but I'm not sure if I chose wisely. :lol I went for the upgraded warp. I'm just scanning planets until I get my new 360 so wasting some Element Zero isn't too bad I hope.

If I am not mistaken, Armor penetrating Ammo is the best.

Warp Ammo's only real benefit is against barriers, but there are few barriers, and there are better skills to deal with them.

Zzoram

Fyrus said:

You can get WAY more resources than you can spend by fully mining out even 1/4 of the planets.

Draft

Just beat it. Random thoughts, not spoilers.

The last boss is hilarious. I was wondering what happened to that dude from Contra: The Alien Wars. It's good that he's still getting work.

The end sequence in ME1 just obliterates the end sequence in ME2 for sheer epicness. Really, the story of ME1 is a lot better than ME2.

ME2 is still 10x the game ME1 is, though.

I miss the ME1 style music a lot.

Femshep's creepy little forward lean while watching strippers is hilarious. When she does it during non-stripping scenes, doubly hilarious.

Rubenov

Damm, read quite a bit of the Mass Effect story discussion thread thinking it was this one. The entire time I was wondering why people weren't using spoiler tags... oh wait... :(

Dresden

Zzoram said:
So you're saying the Exploding Drone is the better option on Insanity?
From what I've seen, yes. Every drone will damage shields, and the damage on the attack drone really doesn't matter until the enemy's shield or armor is gone, and at that point, trying to rely on it to kill anything is futile, imo.

16 hours in and loving the game. I only wish they made choices more clear before you choose them.
When I renegade interrupted a reporter, the worst I thought would happen is I would cut her off and maybe curse her out. Instead I ended up punching her in the face, dropping her to the ground, busting her whole shit up with blood and everything and getting it all caught on camera,
right before the autosave kicked in.

I don't want to think about how this will effect me later on down the road. Also, some phrases that I believe will be paragon turn out to be renegade and vise-versa
(saying I missed my team mate Ashley is renegade? Agreeing with Tali that Jacob needs to STFU after all he tried to do was welcome her, is paragon?).
Who knows what he'll do in the future. I feel like my Shepard is an unpredictable animal. And yes, autosave has been since shut off. Also, in the first game all paragon responses were on top while all renegade responses were on bottom. Doesn't seem to be the case in this game. Though I can understand why they may have changed that.

But other than that, the game is awesome.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Zeliard said:
Man, I wish I had left the Samara loyalty quest as the last one. My
Renegade and Paragon meters ultimately weren't high enough to get the option to pick Morinth over Samara, which I would have done (even though I like Samara).

But that's the beauty of replaying this type of game. Get to do some stuff differently.
I wasn't expecting that at all, it got me thinking about what would change in ME3 if I picked one over the other--since
Morinth is basically a psychopath
, I quick saved before it and saw what happens, but went back and just went with
Samara I'm not sure, but I doubt I would ever actually decide to kill her

ili0926

I can't wait until I finish this game so that I can read all the spoiler tags and see what everyone else thinks of the game. I'm about 33 hrs in with 3 more people to recruit and 5 more loyalty missions to go:
still need to recruit the justicar, Tali and Legion...haven't done the loyalty missions for those three plus Mordin and Grunt. Is Tuchanka like Citadel/Illium/Omega? Those are my favourite locations.

I'm still waiting XBOX CE to be delivered and meanwhile those of you who was lucky to download all DLC for free from MS site, do you was able to use them without a problem ?

Arde5643

Dresden said:
From what I've seen, yes. Every drone will damage shields, and the damage on the attack drone really doesn't matter until the enemy's shield or armor is gone, and at that point, trying to rely on it to kill anything is futile, imo.
Combat drones stun every 3 second as opposed to 6 seconds of the usual drone though so against single enemies it's quite a hilarious overkill since they can't get any shots in at all while being stunned every 3 seconds.

The additional damage to barrier/shield/armor/health also doesn't hurt at all.

AFreak

Banned
Just beat the game. A really sweet ending. I was renegade, so I
kept the human reaper schematics
but I ended up losing two members and don't know what went wrong but i survived, anyone else that beat the last mish on renegade, can you tell me which people you chose for what?

I chose:

Tali to do the infiltration mission in the pipes, but she got shot in the head while closing the doors. I then chose mordin for both leadership missions and lost him on the last opening doors part, but he survived the first one. Oh, and I let the crew go back alone and they all died but Joker(seriously why won't he just die?). So, what must I do to get everyone out alive? I'm renegade, but I don't want to lose any wisecrackin scientists and hott alien babes along the way.

I miss the loot collecting a hell of alot though, and the RPGliteness is kind of a turnoff, but hell everything is done so well I still can't go lower than an 8.8 taking everything into account.

Good fucking game.

EDIT: Beat ever loyalty mission, and did most of the sidequests, and finished at a respectable 33 hours.

Coxswain said:
Both Pistols are far superior to the SMG for taking down Armour

Sure, I don't disagree about the different weapon categories.

The Mantis fires one shot that deals about as much damage as 3-4 shots from the Viper

I can see how this is arguably a sidegrade, although at best that means that anyone who thinks they will reliably line up their shot correctly will use the Mantis 100% of the time and someone who doesn't will use the Viper 100% of the time.

AFreak said:
Just beat the game. A really sweet ending. I was renegade, so I
kept the human reaper schematics
but I ended up losing two members and don't know what went wrong but i survived, anyone else that beat the last mish on renegade, can you tell me which people you chose for what?

I chose:

Tali to do the infiltration mission in the pipes, but she got shot in the head while closing the doors. I then chose mordin for both leadership missions and lost him on the last opening doors part, but he survived the first one. Oh, and I let the crew go back alone and they all died but Joker(seriously why won't he just die?). So, what must I do to get everyone out alive? I'm renegade, but I don't want to lose any wisecrackin scientists and hott alien babes along the way.

I miss the loot collecting a hell of alot though, and the RPGliteness is kind of a turnoff, but hell everything is done so well I still can't go lower than an 8.8 taking everything into account.

Good fucking game.

EDIT: Beat ever loyalty mission, and did most of the sidequests, and finished at a respectable 33 hours.

Mordin isn't really cut out for leadership. Garrus, Jacob and Miranda are all better fits in that role.

mYm|17|

I'm doing my new game with my ME2 character so I can get to level 30. Freakin game froze during the loading screen after the epic cutscene at the beginning, so I had to sit through that shit again.

thedrizzle34 said:
just started New Game + with my Vanguard on Hardcore, and the game is seriously kicking my ass compared to my normal playthrough. I actually have to use Unity now, which i hardly ever did before.

I think i'm just gonna make a brand new Infiltrator/Sentinel and try it on Insanity...

Keep trying. My first playthrough in hardcore was with a Vanguard and I found it to be too easy personally. I'm really curious if Insanity will be as awful as everyone sounds, especially when people talk about Vanguards "sucking."

Turn off squad auto powers and manage them yourself. You can utilize your squad much more efficiently that way if you're good, and coordinate hit and run tactics with your Vanguard that much better.

Butane123

mYm|17| said:
I'm doing my new game with my ME2 character so I can get to level 30. Freakin game froze during the loading screen after the epic cutscene at the beginning, so I had to sit through that shit again.
Just now during the part where it is asking you if you want to change the appearance of your ME1 Shep, my internet gave out, and it returned me to the main screen to re-connect to live.

Ugh, of all times to get dis-connected.

Cep

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Keep trying. My first playthrough in hardcore was with a Vanguard and I found it to be too easy personally. I'm really curious if Insanity will be as awful as everyone sounds, especially when people talk about Vanguards "sucking."

Turn off squad auto powers and manage them yourself. You can utilize your squad much more efficiently that way if you're good, and coordinate hit and run tactics with your Vanguard that much better.

They do really suck. However easy/manageable you may have found the game to be, playing Soldier/Infiltrator/Sentinel would have made it much more manageable.

Now how much fun you have is subjective, but numbers do not lie and they say that either Vanguards or Adepts are the worse ME2 insanity classes (I need to do some more testing, but I think it is most likely Adepts that are worse).

mYm|17|

MisterAnderson said:

If you're starting from your ME1 Vanguard or new ME2 Vanguard, then it's pretty tough on Insanity at the beginning. It got easier for me when I finally got an Assault Rifle, but I was already mid-way through the game

Charge isn't really that great on Insanity.

edit: Wow, I hit level 30 already after Freedom's Progress. That wasn't hard since I was already level 28 when I finished my first run through.

Time to hit up the Sentinel class

Butane123

Cep said:
(I need to do some more testing, but I think it is most likely Adepts that are worse).
I haven't played as a Vanguard yet, but if charge does anything to shielded enemies then it is better than the Adept. Adepts can't do anything to shielded enemies aside from warp.

Dresden

Huh, so it looks like you can bypass entire battles by spawning a drone into a plot-relevant area. Just spawn a drone into a area that triggers a cutscene and you don't go through that battle at all. Just happened to me, which was weird...

Combat drones stun every 3 second as opposed to 6 seconds of the usual drone though so against single enemies it's quite a hilarious overkill since they can't get any shots in at all while being stunned every 3 seconds.

The additional damage to barrier/shield/armor/health also doesn't hurt at all.

The explosive drone has the exact same stats as the attack drone, except that it's attack only affects shields as opposed to health/armor of the attack drone. But the explosion damage more than makes up for it, and the damage it deals to the enemy's health is negligible.

mYm|17|

Damn............NG+ is insane.

I have 300k in credits and 55k in minerals already...................sweeeeeeeet

edit: Sentinel is pretty damn sweet so far. Loving the Tech Armor

Cep

Banned
mYm|17| said:
Damn............NG+ is insane.

I have 300k in credits and 55k in minerals already...................sweeeeeeeet

edit: Sentinel is pretty damn sweet so far. Loving the Tech Armor

That is not NG+, that is just a NG with achievements.

NG+ would be when you took your vanguard and maxed him to 30.

mYm|17|

Cep said:
That is not NG+, that is just a NG with achievements.

NG+ would be when you took your vanguard and maxed him to 30.

ahhh, I did that earlier. I was at level 28 and then I maxed him to 30 just to get the achievement.

I am starting over with my ME1 save and using the Sentinel this time. I got all the achievements so far except two

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Anyone here playing on a PC with an ATI card? (4870x2 here).

How do you enable AA? I've tried doing it through CCC and it doesn't seem to apply? (8X Edge Detect).

Help?

Arde5643

Dresden said:
Huh, so it looks like you can bypass entire battles by spawning a drone into a plot-relevant area. Just spawn a drone into a area that triggers a cutscene and you don't go through that battle at all. Just happened to me, which was weird...

The explosive drone has the exact same stats as the attack drone, except that it's attack only affects shields as opposed to health/armor of the attack drone. But the explosion damage more than makes up for it, and the damage it deals to the enemy's health is negligible.
The more important part is the stun every 3 seconds mostly.

AFreak said:
So, does it make me sick when I say I'd actually do an Asarian if they were real?
It just makes you a horny scifi nerd actually.

Rocwell

Just beat the game. Wow, so good. I played through this and ME1 in a few marathon sessions and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Apparently I'm having a glitch with my postgame. :(

I've read elsewhere that you can invite your love interest up to your quarters for various amorous liaisons after saving the Galaxy by inviting them up via your terminal in your room, but I don't see the option for some reason. I completed her arc and got the infamous tease scene and never fooled around with the other girls, so what gives? I completed the game on Normal difficulty and Kelly got turned into goo.

Any ideas? :\

derFeef

chespace said:
Anyone here playing on a PC with an ATI card? (4870x2 here).

How do you enable AA? I've tried doing it through CCC and it doesn't seem to apply? (8X Edge Detect).

Help?

You have to install the new 10.1 drivers (have the exact same card) and turn on Catalyst A.I. Works great!

SlickVic

Maxed out my Paragon at just the right moment.
Miranda and Jack got in the cat fight, just picked the blue text, and didn't lose anyone's loyalty for a second. :D Ready to do the IFF mission and got my fingers crossed that all my squadmates survive the final mission once I get there.

I watched the documentary videos that came with the Deluxe edition and they were demonstrating/touting the ability to curve your biotic powers behind corners and shit. I have done this myself a few times, but I don't know how I did it. In the video, it looked like the player just aimed at the target until the HUD would highlight it, then he'd aim to the right/left of it (taking the HUD highlight indicator off of the enemy in the process) and launching a biotic. It then curved around the cover point and pulled him away from it. When I try this, it doesn't work and just shoots whatever direction I'm aiming instead of homing in on the target.

DeadCell

So... Adept on insanity...
The end of the Horizon level is just kicking my ass
I can't remember the last time I've been this frustrated by a game.. *sigh*

Having AoE versions of Dominate and AI Hacking is awesome.

MisterAnderson said:
I watched the documentary videos that came with the Deluxe edition and they were demonstrating/touting the ability to curve your biotic powers behind corners and shit. I have done this myself a few times, but I don't know how I did it. In the video, it looked like the player just aimed at the target until the HUD would highlight it, then he'd aim to the right/left of it (taking the HUD highlight indicator off of the enemy in the process) and launching a biotic. It then curved around the cover point and pulled him away from it. When I try this, it doesn't work and just shoots whatever direction I'm aiming instead of homing in on the target.

You need to still be targeting the enemy. If you aim too far away, you will no longer be targeting that enemy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MisterAnderson said:

You still have to be locked onto a target... and even then, it seems to be that only the projectile powers work this way. Overload, Warp and Reave seem to require LOS.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Having AoE versions of Dominate and AI Hacking is awesome.

I really liked the AoE pull and shockwave. I thought I read a complaint about AI Hacking AOE being shitty because the hacked AI would attack each other instead of the non-hacked synthetics?

firehawk12 said:
You still have to be locked onto a target... and even then, it seems to be that only the projectile powers work this way. Overload, Warp and Reave seem to require LOS.

Did I totally miss something? How do you "lock" onto a target? And I was using Pull to make it happen, which from what I can tell is a projectile power. I'm guessing no matter what you can't make your allies curve them since their powers are instant and not really projectile.

Edit: GAH sorry for double post >:O

Fitz

By locking on, I assume it means having the red square-ish targeting reticule over a target, then moving the camera away and using the projectile whilst still "targeting". Haven't been able to play the game for two days but thats how I remeber it working.

MisterAnderson said:
I really liked the AoE pull and shockwave. I thought I read a complaint about AI Hacking AOE being shitty because the hacked AI would attack each other instead of the non-hacked synthetics?

Its brilliance really shines when in large groups because all enemies are going to turn their attention towards the hacked synthetics. It takes fire off me and the hacked synthetics will likely be destroyed before the hacking wears off. I don't really care all that much if don't attack others.

Ventrue

My problem with hacking is that it shields the hacked bots, the more the higher your skill is. This sometimes leads to me essentially just healing my enemies. :(

Ventrue said:
My problem with hacking is that it shields the hacked bots, the more the higher your skill is. This sometimes leads to me essentially just healing my enemies. :(

The shields go away after the hack is done. If you're firing on them while they're hacked, you're doing it wrong.

Arde5643

Ventrue said:
Well, AI hacking is very situational but it's always of use whenever you fight a group of enemies with a mech or more.
The 1st enemy you should always hack in that situation is the weakest mech you can find (usually LOKI mechs).

I also don't see the need to really level up AI hacking beyond the 3rd or even 2nd level.
The ability recharges so quickly anyway that enemies will be busy hitting the hacked enemies while you strip away the defenses or whittling away other organic's health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom