• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
squicken said:
Does anyone have the Collector Assault Rifle? How is it compared to the standard AR? Why are their no stats to look at? So annoying.

Probably my most used weapon, I hate the way it looks but it is much better than the other rifles.

Arjen

squicken said:
Does anyone have the Collector Assault Rifle? How is it compared to the standard AR? Why are their no stats to look at? So annoying.

Yeah i do, i hardly use it as an Infiltrator though, sniper al the way.
All i can say about it is, it sounds pretty awesome, sorry :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
firehawk12 said:
It's like Warp and does Damage over Time along with stopping enemy regeneration, but it also heals you.

So it's a biotic that leeches health over time? Or an ammo type that leeches ammo over time? I'm just curious since I'm trying to build my Vanguard in my mind before I play. Everyone seems to prefer Reave, but I think that I'd have to go Barrier. Is there any Immunity equivalent in this game?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just ordered the CE for PC. I love the cover art.. I'm really bummed that I don't have a PC save file though. I played through the first on 360 and have a 50 something level vangaurd there.

I just had to have this on PC because I just built a beast. Plus I sold the 360 to help finance the pc upgrades.

Won

GuardianE said:
So it's a biotic that leeches health over time? Or an ammo type that leeches ammo over time? I'm just curious since I'm trying to build my Vanguard in my mind before I play. Everyone seems to prefer Reave, but I think that I'd have to go Barrier. Is there any Immunity equivalent in this game?

Biotic dot. Good damage. Double damage on armor and barrier.

neojubei said:
Which is better fortification or barrier?

I think they do the exact same thing for Shepard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
squicken said:

No stats because for most weapons the difference is either functional or really obvious (eg: THIS HEAVY PISTOL UPGRADES THE OLD ONE).

Collectors Assault Rifle is okay, from seeing my squadmates use it (I'm infiltrator). I've heard its not as accurate or something like that.

Enosh

you know thinking about it I kinda don't like the blue and red dialog options, it kinda feels like a copout from making real choices

lets take the
tali vs legion
argument, both have valid points, which one to choose sould be a choice, it would have more of an impact

as it is right now the game rewards you for either playing like a saint or like a total jerk, there is no benefit for actualy doing what you think is moraly right beacose you know if you don't take the good/bad option you get fucked later on beacose you lack points

they should imo keep the blue/red thingy but tie it to something else, don't know what exacatly just something else than dialog options. Maybe as a buyable stat like charm/intimidation*, trading of some combat efficiency for being able to resolve those situations

*but ofcourse the way most game are structured means you get fucked latter on when you get to a point you can't talk your way out of, also called the Vampire:Bloodlines symptom by me (I had a Toreador with high charm and other talking skills which was usefull for most of the game, but feel apart by the point you got to that hotel full of sabath, beacose it was combat only from that point on -.-)

100% agree with you, Enosh, and I'd go further with it, but I don't want to start an argument when everyone is still in the mid- or post-coital bliss of ME2.

Doytch

Enosh said:
they should imo keep the blue/red thingy but tie it to something else, don't know what exacatly just something else than dialog options. Maybe as a buyable stat like charm/intimidation*, trading of some combat efficiency for being able to resolve those situations

*but ofcourse the way most game are structured means you get fucked latter on when you get to a point you can't talk your way out of, also called the Vampire:Bloodlines symptom by me (I had a Toreador with high charm and other talking skills which was usefull for most of the game, but feel apart by the point you got to that hotel full of sabath, beacose it was combat only from that point on -.-)
Yeah, but that's a game-by-game thing. Fallout didn't cop out like that, as did Planescape:Torment. The first time I played Fallout, I beat the final boss in a conversation. Bioware sometimes tries to go there, but they ultimately puss out like they did with Saren in ME1.

Enosh

Doytch said:
Yeah, but that's a game-by-game thing. Fallout didn't cop out like that, as did Planescape:Torment. The first time I played Fallout, I beat the final boss in a conversation. Bioware sometimes tries to go there, but they ultimately puss out like they did with Saren in ME1.
m'kay I was kinda generalizing due to the bad memories I still have from bloodlines :D great game don't get me wrong (same as ME2 one of my favorite games I ever played) but my poor Toreador was fucked :lol

The abstract of my much longer and larger argument is this:

Bioware's need to make their games "movielike", and to have seamless, fully-voiced dialogue, has rendered the conversations in Mass Effect 1, and especially those in Mass Effect 2, only a couple of notches of superficiality above a QTE.

Outside of the combat, I often feel my role as "player" boils down to the prompter for one of two amateur stage productions of Bioware's Gripping Space Opera.

Don't get me wrong, I love their Gripping Space Opera, and I think the universe it draws on has grown deeper and more interesting with this installment, but I still can't shake the feeling that so much of what you do in this "game" is utterly, utterly -- forgive me -- illusive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wiggum2007 said:
Where the hell is my Week 1 Hammerhead DLC??

Latest word is that we'll hear about new free DLC in the 'coming weeks' or some shit. In otherwords it doesnt exist.

Wiggum2007

Hmm, well I was hoping the DLC would come out in time for me to use it in my first playthrough which I am still not finished with. That was foolish to hope for.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EatChildren said:
Latest word is that we'll hear about new free DLC in the 'coming weeks' or some shit. In otherwords it doesnt exist.

Norman confirmed on the podcast that it is coming anyway.

And yeah, Ostagar stealth launched last week. :lol

Patryn

The only thing I'd be worried about in terms of DLC is the fact that they promised that there would be lots and lots and lots for ME1...and all they gave us was Bring Down the Sky for like 2 years, until they basically just dumped Pinnacle Station with no fanfare (not that it deserved any).

Plus, they couldn't even get Zaeed ready for launch.

I feel bad for those of you waiting for Kasumi, because I have a feeling we're talking months before you see her/him/it.

EatChildren

Patryn said:

I thought he was ready for PC launch? I dont know, as it launched in Australia a day or two after the US, but he was definitely there for us.

As for Kasumi, I'm not looking forward to her simply because she's a human. I dont want another fucking human goddamnit BioWare.

Weenerz

Banned
okay, I totally changed my mind on hating engineering. it seems the issue I was having was, when I turned off subtitles at the beginning of the mission, I had the difficulty jacked way up to hardcore and didn't realize it. I am plenty powerful now that I fixed that issue. :lol

Patryn

EatChildren said:
I thought he was ready for PC launch? I dont know, as it launched in Australia a day or two after the US, but he was definitely there for us.

As for Kasumi, I'm not looking forward to her simply because she's a human. I dont want another fucking human goddamnit BioWare.

He was supposed to be ready for US 360 launch. He showed up about 2 1/2 days later.

FrankT

Patryn said:
The only thing I'd be worried about in terms of DLC is the fact that they promised that there would be lots and lots and lots for ME1...and all they gave us was Bring Down the Sky for like 2 years, until they basically just dumped Pinnacle Station with no fanfare (not that it deserved any).

I feel bad for those of you waiting for Kasumi, because I have a feeling we're talking months before you see her/him/it.

Yea they really screwed up the first time around on the DLC. Hopefully they learned a lesson. Getting great DLC is out in a timely fashion after launch will only be a boon to them. Fact is though I really do not want anymore of this 5 dollar 1 hour DLC like the first. We need something meaty. Real xpacs down the line.

Samara

Posting here cause not a lot of response in the other thread. Collector edition rifle and armor for grabs just post a pic of Samara!

edit: in a avatar

EatChildren

Patryn said:
He was supposed to be ready for US 360 launch. He showed up about 2 1/2 days later.

Okay. That's a problem on the distribution end though, not development. He was still completed for launch.

Some dude on the BioWare forum appears to have found evidence of Kasumi, the 12th recruitable character and DLC, in the game's code. See the image here.

FrankT

sweetwasabi said:
Posting here cause not a lot of response in the other thread. Collector edition rifle and armor for grabs just post a pic of Samara!

1z3vts0.jpg

Weenerz

Banned
Really enjoyed Zaeed's
loyalty mission
. If the DLC is anything like that, I will gladly purchase.

On an unrelated note, are the planets the same, as far as materials is concerned? Or does the strategy guide show where to find the best metals? I need platinum! Lots and lots of platinum!

EatChildren

Another picture of her art. Most have probably seen it already. Regardless, her dossier description and art (which looks unfinished) are in the game.

FrankT

sweetwasabi said:
Check your PM, baby cakes.

Thanks. I put this code in on the ME site at redeem code but not recognizing it? Is there another place to do it? 16 digit code I assume that is the place

Dresden

Weenerz said:
Really enjoyed Zaeed's
loyalty mission
. If the DLC is anything like that, I will gladly purchase.

On an unrelated note, are the planets the same, as far as materials is concerned? Or does the strategy guide show where to find the best metals? I need platinum! Lots and lots of platinum!
Try using this. It's a planetary database.

Spasm

Planetary Database said:
Know When to Walk Away
During the process of mining planets, you'll notice the richness of planet devalue itself during your probe launches to the surface. Keep an eye on this. When it goes down to Poor status, leave the planet and move onto the next one. No sense in wasting your probes on planets that won't be giving a good return for your investment.
Wrong! Even when a planet's depleted, there's still 1 or 2 giant caches left.

But yeah, this'll definitely help with targeting minerals. I also need lots and lots of platinum.

Coxswain

Enosh said:
you know thinking about it I kinda don't like the blue and red dialog options, it kinda feels like a copout from making real choices

lets take the
tali vs legion
argument, both have valid points, which one to choose sould be a choice, it would have more of an impact

as it is right now the game rewards you for either playing like a saint or like a total jerk, there is no benefit for actualy doing what you think is moraly right beacose you know if you don't take the good/bad option you get fucked later on beacose you lack points
I'm actually really glad that Mass Effect shies away from the horrible RPG trend of making "choice" boil down to "this or this polar opposite thing". I don't think any other single element has done so much to ruin storytelling in RPGs. The situation you described is really a good example of why that is, too, because there's absolutely no reason to side with either party - they're both hung up on petty bullshit, and there's clearly a better way. It's a conflict that runs pretty deep, which I suppose justifies needing some pretty high persuasive skills to mediate things amicably, but if there's a mistake in that scene, it's that if you don't have a high enough negotiation skill, there's no option to say "Deal with it on your own, but not here, and not now". Even if you lost both loyalties that way, it's a tenable position, while the other two aren't. Choosing one when they're both blatantly wrong makes Shepard feel like a pretty inept hero, and I don't think that anything kills my interest in an RPG more than giving me control of a character, and then forcing that character to act in a way that makes them impossible to respect. That's why I quit Dragon Age, anyway, and why the end of MotB soured me on the whole game.

And it is totally possible to play both Mass Effect games according to your own morality and still have high enough negotiation skills to not be screwed over when the choices pop up, but in fairness, that's only if you played the same character from the beginning of Mass Effect 1. I don't know how I feel about that exactly; it's definitely cool for me that how I played ME1 has a direct impact on how capable Shepard is of doing what I want her to in ME2, but I can see how it would be a pain in the ass for anybody who didn't have that kind of save file on hand to import.

Zaptruder

Banned
Spasm said:
Wrong! Even when a planet's depleted, there's still 1 or 2 giant caches left.

But yeah, this'll definitely help with targeting minerals. I also need lots and lots of platinum.

Maybe true, but don't spend too much time on a poor/depleted planet.

Sometimes you get lucky and find the caches, sometimes you go over the planet 3-4 times before picking up a cache that's only 2-3 bars large.

There are so many planets that it is indeed a fair call to abandon all poor/depleted planets. I tend to abandon the planets once I've given them a good once over, irrespective of what state they're in.

Dries

So I just recruited
Jack, Mordin and Zaeed
, but I'm kinda missing cool side quests. Only things I do now is look for stolen credit cards, or buy fish and/or champagne. Wondering.. will there be any cool big side quests? The anomalys are fun, but too few.

squicken said:
Is that the red one? Do you get it
inside the Collector Ship
when you get to choose between taking a sniper, shotgun or AR?

Basically, I'm talking about the 3rd AR you get and wanting to know if there is a 4th.

Also, is the
IFF mission the final suicide mission? And when do I get Legion?

Enosh said:

lets take the
tali vs legion
Wait... am I wrong to assume that you have to choose between either
Tali or Legion?? I want to have them both.

Dresden

The Lamonster said:
Is that the red one? Do you get it
inside the Collector Ship
when you get to choose between taking a sniper, shotgun or AR?

Basically, I'm talking about the 3rd AR you get and wanting to know if there is a 4th.

Also, is the
He's talking about that insect-looking rifle you get for the Collector's Edition of the game.

And no, the collector rifle isn't very good. Your choice comes down to Revenant, that red one, or the vindicator. Vindicator does more damage but you have a huge clip size with the Revenant

Weapon stats here.

EatChildren

The Lamonster said:
Also, is the

The suicide mission is after the IFF mission. You will aquire Legion naturally in the plot. Dont worry. I advise you have everything you want done before the IFF mission though, such as the other character's loyalty quests.

The Lamonster said:

No. There is a confrontation in the game, similar to Miranda and Jack.

suzu

The Lamonster said:
You can get both. It's just concerning what happens after
completing their loyalty missions

Dresden said:
He's talking about that insect-looking rifle you get for the Collector's Edition of the game.

And no, the collector rifle isn't very good. Your choice comes down to Revenant, that red one, or the vindicator. Vindicator does more damage but you have a huge clip size with the Revenant

Weapon stats here.
Damn, I love ARs and it sucks that they made an awesome one for the game but I can't ever have it. Wish they would've printed more Collector's Editions :(

ok just finally finished my ME1 60 character playthough and jumped straight into ME2 last night...

wow the intro was bad ass! really clever how they set everything up in the beginning.. like how they don't show your face. it reminded me of the first episode of knight rider when they reconstructed michael knights face.. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom