• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ili0926

kinoki said:
I was thinking. Apart from Nihlus, Saren and yourself... are there any other spectres? And further, where and what are they doing during the events of the 2 games?

When you're on Illium there's mention of a hanar spectre through the PA News system...:lol

ili0926 said:
When you're on Illium there's mention of a hanar spectre through the PA News system...:lol

That's a fictional TV show advertisement.

It's basically like Dirty Harry but with a Hanar named Blasto.

"This one is unsure of whether or not his thermal rounds have been depleted; inform this one criminal scum, do you feel fortunate?" :lol

This reminds me...is anyone else kind of put off by some of the snarky (and often juvenile) humor that has made it into this game. Even on the loading screens phrases like "be a badass" or whatever. The vast majority of the overheard conversations in ME2 are comedy-relief bits...ugh.

Solo

kinoki said:
I was thinking. Apart from Nihlus, Saren and yourself... are there any other spectres? And further, where and what are they doing during the events of the 2 games?

Was Nihlus even a Spectre? Man, I need to replay ME1 very soon.

Solo

JayDubya said:
Which reminds me...

Also, we need Volus, Elcor, and Hanar companions next time. :p

We need Batarian, Volus, Elcor and Hanar love interests :lol

I wanna make sweet love to a jellyfish with legs.

kitzkozan

Affeinvasion said:
Give it a full year for the honeymoon effect to wear off and I think you might be surprised...especially in the OMG the grafix area. It wouldn't surprise me if GAF in the end favored the greater flexibility of RPG mechanics in the first one over the episodic and compartmentalized or streamlined (read: dumbed-down and limiting) sequel. Story wise it's not even close...ME2 is a great game in the Mass Effect universe but not a very good second part of a trilogy.

I don't know about that one. :p

Mass effect would get a decent % of the votes,but the first game didn't stimulate GAF that much.I think the official thread got about 10000 posts in 2 years and a half.

I think Mass effect 2 will win,but the % would be something like 40/60.GAF love polish and production values. :lol

Solo said:

Yes, he was just a very gullible one.

Solo said:
We need Batarian, Volus, Elcor and Hanar love interests :lol

I wanna make sweet love to a jellyfish with legs.

What legs?

I really want an Elcor party member but despite their size their hands are not made for holding guns.

Macmanus

kitzkozan said:
I don't know about that one. :p

Mass effect would get a decent % of the votes,but the first game didn't stimulate GAF that much.I think the official thread got about 10000 posts in 2 years and a half.

I think Mass effect 2 will win,but the % would be something like 40/60.GAF love polish and production values. :lol

Completely agree.

Once the honeymoon wears off for ME2, go back and play them back to back.

That is what I did. ME1 is embarrassing compared to ME2. I mean really, the combat was boarder line atrocious.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Affeinvasion said:
This reminds me...is anyone else kind of put off by some of the snarky (and often juvenile) humor that has made it into this game. Even on the loading screens phrases like "be a badass" or whatever. The vast majority of the overheard conversations in ME2 are comedy-relief bits...ugh.

Personally, my favor one was when the games salesman mocked anybody who doesn't like that they dumbed the game down. That was fun. Good times.

Macmanus said:
Completely agree.

Once the honeymoon wears off for ME2, go back and play them back to back.

That is what I did. ME1 is embarrassing compared to ME2. I mean really, the combat was boarder line atrocious.

I played both this weekend and prefer the combat in the first game. I am absolutely positive that would be different if you play a soldier, but I liked playing as a biotic in the first game and that is dull as hell in this game. The only things in Mass Effect 2 that are better than they were in the first game are the graphics and the act of shooting a gun. That said, I also prefer the fact that combat wasn't the sole emphasis in that game. I'm just not a fan of shooters in general. I should clarify also that in my first playthrough as an infiltrator I obviously prefered the combat in ME2, I'm just saying to play as a biotic character alone, I prefered the ME1 system.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Speaking of Nihlus, in a convo with Samara she
mentions that she tried to kill him for killing an innocent civilian, but he got away after they fought for 2 weeks.

Solo

Fimbulvetr said:
Yes, he was just a very gullible one.

What legs?

Whatever you wanna call these things:

800px-Delan.png

Solo

Macmanus said:

None of us who prefer ME1 to ME2 are saying its because of combat. NONE.

Pimpbaa

JayDubya said:
Which reminds me...

Ha, that would be awesome. Although I don't think Elcor move fast enough to travel with your party. Maybe one would be good on the ship tho. Maybe as a cook. Less humans and more aliens next time bioware!

Thane mentions that hanar tentacles, while they can't fire a gun, have a very strong grip.

Oh, and they contain a powerful venom too, so there's that.

Solo said:
Whatever you wanna call these things:

800px-Delan.png

The Hanar use mass effect fields to keep themselves afloat because it isn't easy for them to support their own weight when not underwater.

That's why they always have the blue sheen around them.

The tentacles are used for self defense at close range as emmcee said.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
JayDubya said:
Which reminds me...

As companions sure, but as squad mates, hell no. If they wanna be on my ship to help with this or that theyre welcome to it, but I dont want them anywhere near a fire fight or taking the place of an able bodied humanoid in my squad roster.

You guys just wait until there's a mission on a high-gravity planet, or a planet with an ammonia atmosphere, or an aquatic mission. Then you'll be sorry.

deim0s said:
My guess is that, as long as you picked loyal squadmates for the right assignments, everyone else will be fine (loyal or not). Haven't confirmed it tho, just started my 2nd playthrough.

My friend had only jack not loyal to him
and didn't assign her to anything but still lost her despite assigning everyone else correctly.

Macmanus

Solo said:
None of us who prefer ME1 to ME2 are saying its because of combat. NONE.

I loved ME1. So let me start with that. However I have to ask: What was so amazing about the story in ME1 that it completely trumps the fact that the game itself was improved a thousand fold in the second?

EmCeeGramr said:
You guys just wait until there's a mission on a high-gravity planet, or a planet with an ammonia atmosphere, or an aquatic mission. Then you'll be sorry.
What's with the Vorcha?

Every other race has redeeming qualities, Vorcha are all just violent dumbasses apparently.

Disease immunity is, like, the only thing they have going for them.

Shepard: "I think the Vorcha are planning something?"

Everyone else in the universe: "Plan? :lol Oh Shepard, you should do stand up comedy."

Fimbulvetr said:
What's with the Vorcha?

Every other race has redeeming qualities, Vorcha are all just violent dumbasses apparently.

Disease immunity is, like, the only thing they have going for them.

Shepard: "I think the Vorcha are planning something?"

Everyone else in the universe: "Plan? :lol Oh Shepard, you should do stand up comedy."

When you beat up a vorcha, it gets stronger.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Solo said:

That's 10 minutes of re-playing to learn that. :p

But if the Spectre rank is basicly a Turian cop duo I'm going to be very disappointed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Macmanus said:
I loved ME1. So let me start with that. However I have to ask: What was so amazing about the story in ME1 that it completely trumps the fact that the game itself was improved a thousand fold in the second?

The fact that there is no real story in ME2 and 7 out 11 of the character's origin stories are related to daddy issues?

Solo

Macmanus said:

To start with, there is no story in ME2. There is the character stories, which are great, but nothing happens with respect to the bigger picture. Just spinning their wheels for ME3.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Affeinvasion said:
Give it a full year for the honeymoon effect to wear off and I think you might be surprised...especially in the OMG the grafix area. It wouldn't surprise me if GAF in the end favored the greater flexibility of RPG mechanics in the first one over the episodic and compartmentalized or streamlined (read: dumbed-down and limiting) sequel. Story wise it's not even close...ME2 is a great game in the Mass Effect universe but not a very good second part of a trilogy.
Probably not, read through the official ME1 thread. It was getting worse backlash then this. (and rightfully so).:D I'm willing to bet most people will prefer ME2 over ME1. Once the nostalgia of ME1 wears off.:p

Solo

Lafiel said:
Probably not, read through the official ME1 thread. It was getting worse backlash then this. (and rightfully so).:D I'm willing to bet most people will prefer ME2 over ME1. Once the nostalgia of ME1 wears off.:p

Nostalgia? The game is just over 2 years old. We're not dreaming back to the PSOne days with rose-tinted glasses or something, here. If anything, there should be less of us being vocal about preferring the first game, since we should all be in the honeymoon phase with ME2 now.

Macmanus

firehawk12 said:
The fact that there is no real story in ME2 and 7 out 11 of the character's origin stories are related to daddy issues?

The first game's story is thus: Stop Saren and the Reapers. The second game's story is: Stop the Collectors and the Reapers.

In video game context, both those stories are above average. In real world context, they are both pretty piss poor. If you feel ME1 had a genuinely good story you might want to crack open a book or two.

So going beyond that, it's more about how the stories are told. As Roger Ebert is want to say[paraphrasing]: "It's not about the story, but the way the story is told."

The way the story telling aesthetics were set up in ME2 also trumps ME1 as much as the combat. The writing may have been better in ME1, but not by a whole hell of a lot. The disparity is no where near that of the actual game play mechanics.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Macmanus said:

I disagree fundamentally with the assertion that the game itself was improved in any way.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I finally beat the game, 54 hours of play time, did everything story-wise... :D

Feels soooooo good to not have to scroll past posts or avoid every other Mass Effect 2 forum on the net now!

Man, I'd love to write up everything I felt about the game, but that would take waaaaay too much time, and I just wanna chill and savor the game, plus do the last couple scanning missions...

Do I think it was better than Mass Effect 1? I sure do.

Is it a worthy sequel to favorite RPG period, and one of my favorite series ever created? Oh yes.

Really, really, loved this game - extremely well done story- and mission-wise, kudos to BioWare!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Macmanus said:
The first game's story is thus: Stop Saren and the Reapers. The second game's story is: Stop the Collectors and the Reapers.

In video game context, both those stories are above average. In real world context, they are both pretty piss poor. If you feel ME1 had a genuinely good story you might want to crack open a book or two.

So going beyond that, it's more about how the stories are told. As Roger Ebert is want to say[paraphrasing]: "It's not about the story, but the way the story is told."

The way the story telling aesthetics were set up in ME2 also trumps ME1 as much as the combat. The writing may have been better in ME1, but not by a whole hell of a lot. The disparity is no where near that of the actual game play mechanics.

If you really want to get into it, I can get into it. But I guess it isn't fair to go into ME1 spoilers in an ME2 thread.

Needless to say, what happens in Virmire essentially trumps any of the manufactured decisions they tried to implement in ME2. The mission structure was much more interesting because each segment slowly built on the last segment. Rather than have 22 totally unconnected and short corridor shooter levels, you have a series of levels that make up each of the major planets.

Character wise, even though I don't particularly like Space Racist Ashley, the humans are much better represented. There's absolutely no tension about the future of humanity in the second game, even though Cerberus and humanity are the key players.

There's just tremendously more depth in ME1 even though there is more content in ME2.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dax01 said:
The combat in ME2 is far better than the combat in ME1.

And I disagree with that. I will readily admit it's because I do not like shooters. Mass Effect 2 is an incredibly well done shooter. Possibly the best. Certainly my favorite. That said, I don't have any interest in playing as a soldier and I preferred the system in Mass Effect 1. I had more fun playing as a biotic in the first game than I do shooting things in the second. I liked that I could use my powers in that game as the primary weapon with my guns only being used when necessary.

When given the choice between the weird clunky RPG hybrid with poor shot detection, no area damage, and no cover system worth speaking of against the solid squad based shooter with some interesting powers, I'd choose the former. Even if it's not as well done, it's a system and style that I prefer. I never had a single problem with the combat in the first game. It could have been improved, but I can still go back and play it and enjoy myself. The second game does what it attempts better, but what it's attempting is not something I care about.

Solo

Dax01 said:
The combat in ME2 is far better than the combat in ME1.

Yes, it is. ME2 does all the "game" stuff better. I think my brass tacks take on the games is that ME2 is a better *game* while ME1 is a much more satisfying overall *experience*.

Solo said:
To start with, there is no story in ME2. There is the character stories, which are great, but nothing happens with respect to the bigger picture. Just spinning their wheels for ME3.

have to agree with this. It seems the overall story did not survive the streamlining process (under EA, presumably).

It's rather obvious if you decide to save the queen in the first game and the ending is flat out... well, awful.

Also, the paragon / renegade option is not always as obvious as you would think.

Mordin, mission and ending related:
I can only assume that most people would choose to destroy the data in his mission, but this is actually the renegade option and -I suspect- directly impacts how his role will play out. So I had ONE casualty because the 'best' option is to hold on to the data (and while this makes him loyal it does impact his performance, apparently). Which goes against the moral intuition of destroying such tainted data.

Red

Archaix said:
And I disagree with that. I will readily admit it's because I do not like shooters. Mass Effect 2 is an incredibly well done shooter. Possibly the best. Certainly my favorite. That said, I don't have any interest in playing as a soldier and I preferred the system in Mass Effect 1. I had more fun playing as a biotic in the first game than I do shooting things in the second. I liked that I could use my powers in that game as the primary weapon with my guns only being used when necessary.

When given the choice between the weird clunky RPG hybrid with poor shot detection, no area damage, and no cover system worth speaking of against the solid squad based shooter with some interesting powers, I'd choose the former. Even if it's not as well done, it's a system and style that I prefer. I never had a single problem with the combat in the first game. It could have been improved, but I can still go back and play it and enjoy myself. The second game does what it attempts better, but what it's attempting is not something I care about.
I found playing as an adept way more satisfying in the second game. It's a much more tactical experience since most biotic powers won't affect enemies until their defenses are stripped. I can't just go around throwing singularities and lifting groups before they get to fire a shot.

It's more challenging and interesting to play, I think. Though I did miss the separately recharging abilities.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Apart from *cough*cough* end game decision *cough*cough* were there any major decisions you could do in ME2? I'm guessing the "who lives" matters alot but since most people are going into ME3 with "everyone" that's going to ring pretty hollow.

I just finished the game.

WOW...All I can say is Wow..

I was yelling at my tv to tell my squad to, "Hold on!!!!" I wanted everyone to survive...

I haven't held my breath this much in a video game ever. This will be hard to top for GOTY 2010.

kinoki

Only one I can think of is the side-quest thing that has the Cerberus operative killed and you pick who to send the data they managed to extract.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
kinoki said:
Only one I can think of is the side-quest thing that has the Cerberus operative killed and you pick who to send the data they managed to extract.

You can
encourage the Geth/Quarians toward war or peace.
At least, I would hope that comes up again in the third game, because there were two loyalty quests that pretty much were centered around that possible event.

Peff

kinoki said:

Another has you choosing between
destroying an Alliance base and save a lot of people or destroy the city and save the human base

Patryn

ME2 has nothing to compare with the Sovereign conversation on Virmire. It has nothing to compare with Virmire. It really has nothing that felt as satisfying to me as the entire Citadel finale of ME1.

It didn't have the depth of subquests that ME1 had. Sure, a lot of them were almost like fetch quests, but at least they gave you options. I think it's been mentioned in this thread, but there's nothing like the whole Doctor Michel is being blackmailed quest, where you could talk your way out or shoot your way out. In the middle of a city, mind you. What about the guy who is creating the device to help him cheat at quaser? Or the whole sidequest about the guy who wants to scan the keepers and his partner? Or the AI on the Citadel that, when caught, starts a self-destruct that you have to defuse?

I'm guessing that's because of the whole "MISSION COMPLETE" screen, that the developers decided that they didn't want to include these short little quests.

Nothing like Conrad's stuff in ME1, where it slowly develops over the course of the entire game.

I mean, go play ME1 and just be amazed at the amount of sidequests that pop up on the Citadel. After playing ME2, it's mind-boggling.

It's also already been talked about how ME1 felt like a cohesive whole tale. It has nothing like the Mission Complete screens to break up the action. Playing it, I realize that I'm probably the only person in the world who misses the elevators, simply because they made the world feel nearly seemless. I understood the relationships between where structures are. It also allowed for great party conversations.

Part of the problem is that all the missions in ME2 take place in locked-off areas that you visit during the mission itself, and can never return to. It helps to make them feel isolated and distinctly stage-like.

Speaking of, it's also stunning just how chatty your party members are in ME1. They're constantly commenting on where you are, what's going on. I'm not talking battle chatter either. Just random stuff.

You can even choose to actively talk to them and there's good odds that they'll say something relevant to the location or situation then! It makes the ME2 party members seem like robots that are only activated during their loyalty mission and that's it.

(Although I forgot just how annoying the enemy chatter is. If I hear "Enemy everywhere!" one more time, I will do something violent.)

kinoki

Peff said:
Another has you choosing between
destroying an Alliance base and save a lot of people or destroy the city and save the human base

But the problem with both this and the data is that the choices don't resonate. They couldn't be more unintresting. If you had actually visited the places that you can affect it would matter, perhaps so you could see the choices first-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom