• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
EatChildren said:
The Salarians knew. They're not stupid.

Really? I haven't seen anything that shows they're any smarter than anyone else.

People say, "oh the krogan may be dumb but at least Wrex is smart," but I honestly haven't seen a truly dumb krogan in either game yet. Maybe, like... those two on the Citadel, but they're no dumber than 90% of the other NPCs who want some insipid quest item and are willing to talk to anyone on the street. Big and violent and deep voices, yes, but that doesn't mean "big dummy." I've seen plenty of total dumbass humans, turians, asari, salarians, volus, hanar, batarians, and quarians though.

And saying, "Oh well Mordin finds it necessary!" doesn't prove that the salarians didn't mean it as a deterrent. Salarians rarely live past 40, and it was a thousand years ago. He's been raised to believe that (that his people aren't responsible for a terrible war crime), just like everyone else is biased by their upbringing.

How about just using the threat of the genophage as a deterrent? How about making the genophage not utterly devastating to the point that it is genocide and results in complete social collapse? How about not deciding to "renew" the genophage a thousand years later?

b-b-but not committing genocide is sooooo hard
nq48cp.jpg

RdN

Guys, help me out with something.

I just finished the game on Veteran and now I'm going to play on Insane. I know that making a new character is easier, but I want to play with my Shepard because all powers are already unlocked and all.

The question is, I read somewhere that when you choose to start a new playtrough using your existing Mass Effect 2 character it overwrites your existing playtrough, making it impossible to go back and keep playing.

Is it true?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
EatChildren said:
The galaxy needs decision makers!

Libertarians in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

All your points are pretty much correct. Nothing wrong with a little space eugenics

JayDubya

Banned
It's not like I'm saying "do nothing and let the Krogan win." That wouldn't be respectful of sapient rights, either. The Krogan were unmistakably the aggressors in that conflict. The victims of their aggression didn't deserve to be killed either.

So yeah, fight them. Attack military targets. The genophage is way, way over the line. It's not just disproportionate in its response, it's permanent, and it indiscriminately attacks non-combatants.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JayDubya said:
So yeah, fight them. Attack military targets. The genophage is way, way over the line. It's not just disproportionate in its response, it's permanent, and it indiscriminately attacks non-combatants.

They did for nearly three hundred years and were losing. It wasnt getting much better when the Turians stepped in, to the point where Krogan were dropping asteroids on Turian occupied planets.

Your solution of continuing the war continues with death. Turians, Salarians, Asari, Krogan, and everyone keeps dieing. Civilian and military alike. Coucil races win and the Krogan would likely be wiped out for good, just like they did with the Rachni. Krogan win and there goes three or more species down the gutter.

Non-combatants were being attacked to begin with, and the Krogan started it and refused to stop.

JayDubya

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Don't like the new shotgun at all, it has good range but is lacking in damage.

It supposedly is good at attacking armor, though, so that alone makes it useful.

EatChildren said:
They did for nearly three hundred years and were losing. It wasnt getting much better when the Turians stepped in, to the point where Krogan were dropping asteroids on Turian occupied planets.

Given what we know about Turians, the Krogan were doing the galaxy a favor. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JayDubya said:
Given what we know about Turians, the Krogan were doing the galaxy a favor. :p

You humans are all racist.

EmCeeGramr said:
"They started it" isn't an excuse for war crimes.

Nor is it an excuse to drop asteroids on civilian structures.

It was a war. Post war genophage alterations debatable. Horrific even. War strand of genophage stopped the war.

Or we could keep fighting them and maybe they'll stop breeding and start losing even though they've been winning for three hundred years!

EatChildren said:

Of course not. But terrorist actions aren't an excuse for indiscriminate genocide in retribution.

EatChildren said:
It was a war. Post war genophage alterations debatable. Horrific even. War strand of genophage stopped the war.

And it might have stopped them without being deployed. A weaker strain might have stopped them without destroying their society.

If we're measuring morality by success, then complete annihilation and/or sterilization would be justified.

EatChildren

EmCeeGramr said:
Of course not. But terrorist actions aren't an excuse for indiscriminate genocide in retribution.

And it might have stopped them without being deployed. A weaker strain might have stopped them without destroying their society.

If we're measuring morality by success, then complete annihilation and/or sterilization would be justified.

So you would disagree with the decision to wipe out the Rachni as well, yes?

vhfive

EatChildren said:
You humans are all racist.

Or we could keep fighting them and maybe they'll stop breeding and start losing even though they've been winning for three hundred years!
i read this in mordin's voice :lol

EatChildren said:
So you would disagree with the decision to wipe out the Rachni as well, yes?
Of course, that was genocide of a sapient race of beings, and the salarians/asari in charge or the krogans on the ground (whoever was ultimately responsible for the final annihilation) should have pulled back before that happened.

We still don't know exactly what happened. History is written by the victors. We don't know if communication was truly attempted or if they gave up on any chance, or decided that a victory was necessary for the people to accept.

Heck, for all we know there may have been several krogan factions in the Krogan Rebellions but the turian military policy favored complete devastation over negotiation.

EatChildren said:
Okay, not to dork out, but that kinda pokes huge holes in universe. If planets are vulnerable to that type of attack then they are sure as shit vulnerable to *anything* traveling at faster than light speeds. I had assumed that they covered such stuff by just saying that they established mass effect fields over anything important to prevent people from drunk driving and obliterating planets.

Eh, I guess maybe if they have a means of disabling FTL within star systems it works out fine while still letting stuff within the system be vulnerable to normal collisions...

But whatever. The important thing is that Krogan War means more dead Turians, which can't be a bad thing.

EatChildren

Son of Godzilla said:
Okay, not to dork out, but that kinda pokes huge holes in universe. If planets are vulnerable to that type of attack then they are sure as shit vulnerable to *anything* traveling at faster than light speeds. I had assumed that they covered such stuff by just saying that they established mass effect fields over anything important to prevent people from drunk driving and obliterating planets.

Eh, I guess maybe if they have a means of disabling FTL within star systems it works out fine while still letting stuff within the system be vulnerable to normal collisions...

But whatever. The important thing is that Krogan War means more dead Turians, which can't be a bad thing.

Hmm? Mass Effect fields cant be put around entire planets. One of Sovereigns tricks was that it had such a large zero energy core it could generate an entire mass effect field around it to allow planet landing, as seen on Eden Prime.

Teknoman

Kenaras said:
So did I; the phrasing was 100% Mordin.

:lol same here. Actually thought it was a quote from a later ship conversation.

EDIT: Batarians dont seem that bad. Vorcha though? Get that mess out of here.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Plan B: After Rachni war victory and the Krogans start their own war of aggression, Salarians 'cuturally uplift' the hanar to fight them. The beauty of this plan is that once space winter comes around, the hanar freeze to death.

Zaptruder

Banned
This is one of the more interesting discussions I've seen on the gaming side in a while.

But good ol' JayDubya. (Libertarian) principles, before people, as always.

"Without principles there can be no people!"

Uh huh.

I saw the PC version on YouTube and came across the scanning of planets. Suffice to say it left me both outraged and confused; the mouse cursor speed is hardly affected during this and consequently the mining process is quick and efficient. A PC user can cover an area of the a planet at least 5 times faster than anyone could using the analogue stick on the 360.

Honestly as I continue to play the game the more frustrating issues I encounter. They had 2 years and have made some of the most retarded design decisions that make absolutely no sense, and this difference in speed for the mining compared to the PC is one of them.

I cannot for the life of me now even bother to sit down for up to 10 minutes or more scanning the surface of a planet like a douche when I could do the same on a PC in no time. Fucking unbelievable

Meus Renaissance said:
I saw the PC version on YouTube and came across the scanning of planets. Suffice to say it left me both outraged and confused; the mouse cursor speed is hardly affected during this and consequently the mining process is quick and efficient. A PC user can cover an area of the a planet at least 5 times faster than anyone could using the analogue stick on the 360.

Honestly as I continue to play the game the more frustrating issues I encounter. They had 2 years and have made some of the most retarded design decisions that make absolutely no sense, and this difference in speed for the mining compared to the PC is one of them.

I cannot for the life of me now even bother to sit down for up to 10 minutes or more scanning the surface of a planet like a douche when I could do the same on a PC in no time. Fucking unbelievable

You get an upgrade for the scanning that lets you move the cursor faster and have greater range.

Meus Renaissance said:
Rabble Rabble

Hey bro. Once you have Mordin, and the Normandy tech lab is open, go talk to Miranda about an upgrade.

For everyone else who thinks the Salarians never intended to use the Genophage and that they intended to warn the Krogan before using it, may I remind you that the ME1 codex on Salarians is very clear that they will never so much as declare war before they strike. They see those kinds of actions as naive and foolish.

careful

Meus Renaissance said:

Dude, it's still painful on PC. Faster cursor speed doesn't change the boring ass mechanic.

EatChildren said:
The Salarians knew. They're not stupid.

I dont see how people can lable the genophage as pure evil that shouldnt have been done. Its a criticism that can only be said looking back, not when the decision was made. I mean really, summary of the Krogans and their relationship with the rest of the galaxy;

- Krogans split atom and blow themselves up because they're too socially and culturally devolved to handle it.
- Krogans live in wasteland, nomadic tribes, trying to rebuild their culture. Idealy they would be left this way until they can advance enough to handle their own species.
- Salarians say hi and give them the tech, biased because they need strong forces for the Racnhi wars. Arguably a mistake.
- Krogan win Rachni wars and are respected and praised across the galaxy.
- Their fast breeding in the hostile world of Tuchunka was unchecked in space, and like a wildfire they spread at an unexpected rate.
- They started taking territory from Council races and acting aggressively. They even began to settle in already owned Council colonies. Despite being told not to.
- When finally pressured and told to get the fuck out, they dared the Council to take their worlds back. No negotiation. No reasoning. Just a "go fuck yourselves, we're cunts and we dont care".
- War with the Krogan for nearly three centuries. Why? Because the Krogan defied galactic laws, acted hostile, and initiated the whole thing because they couldnt keep their species in check.
- Krogan on the verge of winning because they breed too fucking quickly. Turians say hi, and start fucking their shit. Krogans start plummiting asteroids into Turian worlds.
- Krogans refuse to surrender. Turians say hi to the Salarians, cue Genophage.

The Salarians made the mistake of contacting the Krogan to begin with. The Turians and Salarians make the mistake with the Genophage. But the Krogans made the mistake of starting a war with everybody.

So what do you do pre-Genophage? Sit on your hands and say "oh but life is too precious" and let the Krogan keep killing your own species for land?

The galaxy needs decision makers!

If the focus of your criticism is that it was wrong to interfere in the first place then how is it logical to interfere again? The Krogan as a consequence of the genocide of their species now possess arguably a greater hatred for those involved. What's to prevent a future conflict of even a greater scale all on the basis of the Salarians thinning the very fibre of their existence? War is wrong but playing meddling around with the reproduction capabilities of another people, even your enemy? Words cant even describe how fucked up that is

Meus Renaissance said:
I upgraded the scanner on my 360 and it was never this fast

So it doesnt move that fast on 360? Must be due to the lowered accuracy of a controller. I guess Bioware thought it was too difficult to pinpoint on areas with a fast cursor on 360. It's a fairly boring gameplay mechanic and I dont know if I could stand it if it moved slow. Before the upgrade it moves pretty slow on pc and I'm sure I could never make it through a whole game like that.

On a positive note there are so many planets and so much more resources then you need that you can just concentrate on the largest radar spikes and get through the planets faster.

I was wondering if anyone knows the exact total amount of resources needed for all upgrades. That would definitely make it easier to deal with scanning. I could get my resources topped off early in the game then just spend the rest of the game looking for planets with anomalies.

Also newgame+ should start with more resources. At least 100,000 on second playthrough and more on each play through after that.

I <3 Memes said:
Hey bro. Once you have Mordin, and the Normandy tech lab is open, go talk to Miranda about an upgrade.

For everyone else who thinks the Salarians never intended to use the Genophage and that they intended to warn the Krogan before using it, may I remind you that the ME1 codex on Salarians is very clear that they will never so much as declare war before they strike. They see those kinds of actions as naive and foolish.

Did you read my post above? I do not remember it being this fast even with the upgrade, unless I'm wrong. If you disagree with my comment, then don't there's no need to defame the words of mine you quote - it is childish. So stop, mmmkay?

careful

I <3 Memes said:
Also newgame+ should start with more resources. At least 100,000 on second playthrough and more on each play through after that.
Wonder if it's possible to change the .ini files to give you more resources from the start. Or enter console commands for resources. It's the only thing that I would want to cheat on just to avoid scanning planets.

EatChildren

Meus Renaissance said:
If the focus of your criticism is that it was wrong to interfere in the first place then how is it logical to interfere again?

Because they were at war.

Anything that happened afterwards is totally irrelevant. You can’t make a decision for then looking backwards, you need to put yourself in their position at that point in time.

They were essentially fighting the Rachni Wars 2.0. It doesn’t matter how irresponsible, stupid, idiotic, and intrusive the Salarian's involvement with the Krogan were, the fact of the matter is now (as in, then) they're killing with no sign of stopping. Negotiations have failed. The Krogan have annexed from the Council. They’ve even dared the Council to take back their own worlds.

You can keep fighting, and people will continue to die on all sides, all the while you’re losing. You can do nothing, accept defeat, and say goodbye to more lives while the Krogan over populate the galaxy. Or you can do something, anything to turn the battle in your favour.

The Krogan’s best weapon was their rapid breeding. No matter how strong the Turians, the Krogan bred quicker. Military forces were quickly replenished. So they attacked their breeding to stifle their war efforts.

Maybe it was managed poorly, maybe it lacked morals, maybe maybe maybe. But nobody here has come up with all that much of a better solution. I’m not necessarily condoning the genophage, despite my posts, but I do believe it’s extremely naive to label it as evil and unnecessary without offering a different solution to what was an galactic problem.

T Ghost

I got up to 6-7 hours in, the game, it's characters and story are growing on me. It was after the 3rd-4th hour that it started to feel better. Until then I "missed" ME1...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
careful said:
Wonder if it's possible to change the .ini files to give you more resources from the start. Or enter console commands for resources. It's the only thing that I would want to cheat on just to avoid scanning planets.
There is this...
Himuro said:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mtzeijnnkgn

1. Go to ME2 folder.
2. Go into BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked
3. Back up the Coalesced.ini file there in case you want to restore or if something goes wrong (which it shouldn't).
4. Download above file into that folder and rename to Coalesced
5. Start game.
6. Load save.
7. Hit key.

F1 / max resources
F2 / max credits
F11 / max Paragon
F12 / max Renegade

You can some of them, or all of them or none of them. I just went with resources.

SlickVic

Has anyone been able to get the
Kelly
romance after beating the game? I never got the dinner prompt before and I have no idea why since I picked all the flirty options. Can it activate after I do some side missions or have I missed out on it in this playthrough?

fernoca

That planet /scanning video..is weird..at first it's really fast, heck even the probe is really fast..then the second proble is slower?

In the 360 to make it faster you can use both analog sticks in the same direction at the same time,.....just in case, though it only works from side to side...still not "that video" fast. Guess in PC is a little bit fatser, though the 2 different speeds of the probe was weird.

By the way guys, in the credits... maybe this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

there is a dude (I think it was in "additional design" ?)

Alistair Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom