• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's something wrong with that image .. can't pinpoint my finger .. probably just Garrus's mutilated jaw.

Cep

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
From the Codex:

One of biggest problems with ME lore, it always sounds like bullshit.

Of course it may not be fair to them, as they are trying to make their world more authentic, but damn.

It would of course help if ME field and Element zero was not used to explain everything (I know it sorta makes sense with the way ME/Eezo work, but...).

Dresden

Cep said:
One of biggest problems with ME lore, it always sounds like bullshit.

Of course it may not be fair to them, as they are trying to make their world more authentic, but damn.

It would of course help if ME field and Element zero was not used to explain everything (I know it sorta makes sense with the way ME/Eezo work, but...).
Expecting fiction involving undeveloped technologies to sound authentic seems rather foolish.

11157cp.jpg

221.1GW.RWW.W31.FDS.1DW.DW1.6JW.NFA.DS1.1S7.6

Commander (in-Chief) Shepard

Lakitu said:
Just a little summary of what DLC we'll probably see in the future, I've spoiler tagged it all just incase, this is going by dev quotes (from forums, interviews) to stuff that was found out from the code of the PC version:

Cerberus Network (Free DLC)
Hammerhead - New hover vehicle ala Mako, with new missions that will integrate this feature.
Kasumi aka The Thief (12th and final squadmate) - recruitable on Illium, along with a loyalty mission I assume
More weapons and armors
Patches
N7 Missions - A dev on the forum stated they would put more N7 Missions on the Cerberus Network.

Possible Premium Content
Liara DLC - Going by the PC code we could get at the most 2 DLCs focusing on Liara's storyline (probably about the Shadow Broker) and it's supposed to tie in with the events of Mass Effect: Redemption.

Makes me want to hold off from playing Mass Effect 2 until they are all released.
Maybe I can hold out for another month?

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
Expecting fiction involving undeveloped technologies to sound authentic seems rather foolish.

Read more Sci-Fi.

Besides, there are limits before the entire thing just feels plastic and fake.

As I said, I do realize that I am being harsh, but they can do better.

Reminds me a lot of China Mieville the way he usually tries to explain these things in his novels, always feels like he is trying too hard and being too specific and too vague at the same time.

Dresden

Cep said:
Read more Sci-Fi.

Besides, there are limits before the entire thing just feels plastic and fake.

As I said, I do realize that I am being harsh, but they can do better.

Reminds me a lot of China Mieville the way he usually tries to explain these things in his novels, always feels like he is trying too hard and being too specific and too vague at the same time.
And I'd have to disagree with you, because I love Mieville. :lol Perdido and The Scar are two novels I'd be glad to say are in the top 100 novels I've read in my life.

Most science fiction sounds contrived. It's either that or you go into the hopelessly archaic territory of hard science fiction, where the chemical compound of a particular laser rocket gun is more important than the actual plot.

Jinjo

macfoshizzle said:
wow that's pretty damn good!! i wish i could translate those codes to the xbox 360 version

I pulled about 6 random codes from that me2 faces site and they all worked. Why would there be a difference in codes between the PC & 360 version?

Edit: Hmm. It seems some codes (I assume the PC ones) have an extra character added at the end. Tried removing it?

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
And I'd have to disagree with you, because I love Mieville. :lol Perdido and The Scar are two novels I'd be glad to say are in the top 100 novels I've read in my life.

Most science fiction sounds contrived. It's either that or you go into the hopelessly archaic territory of hard science fiction, where the chemical compound of a particular laser rocket gun is more important than the actual plot.

Oh I like Mieville and I loved The Scar.

But the man has a fetish for big words and contrived...everything.

Having him explain how AI, Isaac's theory and the probability sword was really painful. Does not help that it feels like he is off a fresh Lovecraft reading before he writes a book (Still has that excellent primal horror, but dat prose...).

As for the contrived explanations: They will always be the there, but as I said, some manage it better than others. Some of the older stuff have both good and bad examples. Herbert is a favorite of mine (the first book anyways, shit get weird beyond that), of course he feels a bit fantasy at times...

Has anyone found an .ini setting to remove the veins of death yet? Also wouldn't mind removing the information box that pops up in the middle of the scren. The ones like "Hold F to end mission" or "powers must cooldown before reusing them". In ME1 there was an option to remove training messages like that.

The "Hold F to end mission" pops up over and over and makes it hard to complete dialog with characters when there is still dialog options available.

This game is seriously awesome. I'm sure no one is on the fence about buying it but if you are, save yourself the time and just go pick it up. I love it. :D

owlbeak

Finished the game, did all the N7 missions, explored all systems to 100%, now I can't find anything to do. :(

I walked around Omega, Citadel, and Illium and no one had any quests. I guess I'm done until DLC. What a shame.

Jinjo said:
I pulled about 6 random codes from that me2 faces site and they all worked. Why would there be a difference in codes between the PC & 360 version?

Edit: Hmm. It seems some codes (I assume the PC ones) have an extra character added at the end. Tried removing it?

oh? how do you decipher the code to the 360? like 221.1GW.RWW.W31.FDS.1DW.DW1.6JW.NFA.DS1.1S7.6.. how do you decipher this into the settings for each feature?

Cep

Banned
macfoshizzle said:
oh? how do you decipher the code to the 360? like 221.1GW.RWW.W31.FDS.1DW.DW1.6JW.NFA.DS1.1S7.6.. how do you decipher this into the settings for each feature?

I think that this idea was used as a guideline, but i do not think that each section necessarily correlates with a feature.

Patryn

macfoshizzle said:

I'm fairly certain you can manually enter that code on a 360. Choose custom face, and the final option is enter a code.

So you don't need to interpret.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Is the first game vital to this one? I know there were choices in the first one that affects how the story plays on this one, but what happens if you do not complete the first one? Is knowledge of the first game necessary to understand wtf is happening in this one? I read the wikipedia summary of the plot, is that enough :lol ?

The code should be able to be put into the 360 directly. If not, you'd have to find out what each of the numbers/letters in the code refers to (i.e a certain character might change the complexion). Then, you could manually change the features on 360 to match.

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Is the first game vital to this one? I know there were choices in the first one that affects how the story plays on this one, but what happens if you do not complete the first one? Is knowledge of the first game necessary to understand wtf is happening in this one? I read the wikipedia summary of the plot, is that enough :lol ?
I would definitely recommend that you play it; otherwise the decision is up to you. You don't really have to play it, as I'm sure you can get all the details by reading up on it and whatnot. Still, it's nice to go through the game and story for yourself, or at least in my opinion it is.

pmj

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
No, it's not necessary at all.

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:

yeah you don't have to play the first one. but its good that you did a wiki on the first one so at least you know what's going on. like who the fuck are these reapers etc. it jsut makes the experience far more epic and enjoyable if you did. it's kinda like watching empire strikes back without watching new hope and instead reading about it.

SlickVic

pmj said:
I've had two hard locks, one case of it losing my auto save, one time I was stuck in the death cam with no options to load or quit. Add to that all kinds of jankiness with the cover system and power use, massive difficulty spikes at times, weird animation, party members standing in the air, sometimes several meters up, acting like they're ducking in and out of cover, and, well, it sure could have used a couple of months of bug fixing and balancing.

Is this the 360 version? Cuz the only issue I had o PC was 1 time I got stuck on top of some platform and couldn't get down. Had to restart from my last quick save.

FromTheFuture said:
The code should be able to be put into the 360 directly. If not, you'd have to find out what each of the numbers/letters in the code refers to (i.e a certain character might change the complexion). Then, you could manually change the features on 360 to match.

oh really?? i don't remember seeing anywhere about entering in some code during the custom character creation. hmm gotta check this out.

pmj

SlickVic said:
Is this the 360 version? Cuz the only issue I had o PC was 1 time I got stuck on top of some platform and couldn't get down. Had to restart from my last quick save.
Yup, 360 version.

There's of course also clipping going on all over the place, and sound cut out for me during the Samara/Morinth scene. Sound also disappeared for a while when listening to an audio log somewhere, and sound goes in and out and crackles during the final fight on the Krogan recruitment mission. Oh, and more sound pops during loading screens. Loading screens which are probably a minute long even if the game is saved in the same room you load and almost all required assets should be the same. Goddamn UE3 engine.

Check out BioWare's ME2 technical support forum for more fun bugs and issues people are having.

SlickVic

Ah that sucks. I have a few friends who got it on 360 and they didn't say anything about issues. I just assumed there weren't much issues with it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
macfoshizzle said:
oh really?? i don't remember seeing anywhere about entering in some code during the custom character creation. hmm gotta check this out.
Select Custom Character and then scroll down to the character code and select it to bring up the keyboard to change it.

pmj

SlickVic said:
Ah that sucks. I have a few friends who got it on 360 and they didn't say anything about issues. I just assumed there weren't much issues with it.
I'm not saying the game is unplayable or anything, but like any BioWare game it's full of bugs.

SlickVic

Gillian Seed said:
Pic Of The Day:

http://kimag.es/share/60042740.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

:lol

In case anyone's wondering how to do this:
[url]http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?show=tutorials&tutorial=saveEdit[/url]

Bioware's romance restrictions be damned.

2San

SlickVic said:
Didn't have any issues either(360 version here), but I can understand that it can happen the world is pretty big. The only problem I had was that one assignment with just shepard and that spaceship that could tumble.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
bPod said:
Im giving it a lot of thought of getting ME2, looking for a good rpg and haven't played one for a long time.

If you like Star Wars as much as your air-humping avatar would lead to me to believe, you ought to buy it today. Mass Effect is basically Star Wars with sex and killer froggy people. And no midochlorians.

So what are adepts like playing on insanity. I figured I'd try something different on my renegade run but I have to say it's pretty tough going from having every weapon as a soldier to just a pistol and smg. Sure I've got more powers and such but it seems I have to shoot out their armour and/or shields before any of the powers take effect for about 75% of them.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ugh, Collecter's ship on insanity.

Never again.

Arde5643

SenorDingDong said:
So what are adepts like playing on insanity. I figured I'd try something different on my renegade run but I have to say it's pretty tough going from having every weapon as a soldier to just a pistol and smg. Sure I've got more powers and such but it seems I have to shoot out their armour and/or shields before any of the powers take effect for about 75% of them.
Just use singularity to keep them in place while you and your teammate shoot at them willy nilly.

SenorDingDong said:

I'm playing as an adept right now and it is outrageous. Singularity feels overpowered but I'm not complaining. :lol

You only get 1 extra weapon as a soldier so I dont see what the appeal is.
At a certain point in the game you get to choose between being able to use either a sniper rifle or an assault rifle
so like I said you will only miss out on 1 other weapon out of the 2.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Mindlog said:
:lol

That was a lot of fun with cloak.

The only bad part was
how long some of the loading screens are.

I was playing as a solider and god damn the flying platforms area was just complete bullshit. The scion would instantly kill grunt and mordin and then Harbinger would keep spamming his knock-you-out-of-cover move two feet in front of me killing Shepard instantly :(. Took alot of luck and adrenaline rushes but I finally beat it after dying about 5 times.

Wasn't as bad as the guy that took 5hrs on this section but it was pretty rough. Luckily I know that was the hardest section of the game :D.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pimpbaa said:
How come you get to snuggle with Garrus in a comfy bed while I had to bang Miranda in the engine room?!

You can call Miranda up to do the same stuff after the game.

pmj

SenorDingDong said:
I'm about 10 hours in on my Adept Insanity run.

As others have said, use Singularity a lot, and then shoot and better yet throw things like Warp on them. Do it right and you'll get a detonation with bonus damage. Still, be prepared having to abuse shitty enemy AI by kiting more difficult enemies around objects. You'll probably want something like Warp ammo as bonus skill, but there might be better options.

And since you can't afford every upgrade in the game, be careful with what you buy.

Arde5643

pmj said:
I'm about 10 hours in on my Adept Insanity run.

As others have said, use Singularity a lot, and then shoot and better yet throw things like Warp on them. Do it right and you'll get a detonation with bonus damage. Still, be prepared having to abuse shitty enemy AI by kiting more difficult enemies around objects. You'll probably want something like Warp ammo as bonus skill, but there might be better options.

And since you can't afford every upgrade in the game, be careful with what you buy.
It's weird actually. As an adept on hardcore, I expected to do lots of warp against enemies, but it seems I have a better time using singularities and pull than warp.

I find warp's cooldown a bit too slow for my liking whereas singularity basically stuns one or more enemies letting me and my teammates take potshots at them.

For unshielded enemies, pull is too good since it just lets them hang there for a long time. And combined with ledges, pull + throw basically is an instant kill.

I only use warps when I cannot use singularity so I really don't see the big deal for warps outside of YMIR and boss fights (praetorians).

Patryn

Just starting my new ME2 playthrough with a new ME1 character I just finished up. But I couldn't help myself. All through my ME1 playthrough I kept thinking that my Shepard's eyes were too far apart. So I tweaked them in ME2. Then I tweaked a few other things.

But now I feel guilty about changing the appearance. Am I alone in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom