• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

harriet the spy said:
Didn't want to bump the ME1 thread... just finished ME1 (so awesome :) ), and I am ready to start ME2. Quick question, I kind of rushed through the main story - i barely did any subquests. Are there some that are recommended for better appreciating the backstory of ME2 (significantly, not just a silly cameo, unless it's an awesomely silly cameo), or more importantly, are there subquests of ME1 that actually affect ME2 (through the save import feature)?

More generally, if I don't enjoy grinding, are there some subquests of ME1 that should not be missed (BDTS?)

To tell you the truth, the only 'essential' sidequest is the Conrad Verner quest. Everything else just end up as little mentions in the News or an occasional cameo now and then. Like Tali's geth datapad quest just ends up as a line early on, and that's it.

Cep

Banned
harriet the spy said:
Didn't want to bump the ME1 thread... just finished ME1 (so awesome :) ), and I am ready to start ME2. Quick question, I kind of rushed through the main story - i barely did any subquests. Are there some that are recommended for better appreciating the backstory of ME2 (significantly, not just a silly cameo, unless it's an awesomely silly cameo), or more importantly, are there subquests of ME1 that actually affect ME2 (through the save import feature)?

More generally, if I don't enjoy grinding, are there some subquests of ME1 that should not be missed (BDTS?)

Ugh, biggest disappointment ever, but here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=944907&topic=53322093

Though choices from the first game are said to affect the third, but not the second.

mYm|17|

How do you get to put on the Cerbrus Armor?

I downloaded the armor and weapon. When I go to my captain's cabin, I don't see my armor

So a question about how individual saves work.

I've beaten the game once, so that counts as one complete playthrough right?

Now, if I want to use an old save to replay just the final mission, if I beat that mission again, will the game look at that as a completely separate playthrough and create another save? I really just want to beat the last part again so I can
save everyone/check out how different choices result,
but I don't want like 5 different saves for what is really one playthrough.

Coxswain

Cep said:
Infiltrator being the fastest killer,
Vanguard actually kills quite a bit faster than Infiltrator, except against 'tough' targets (ie: Scions, Praetorians, YMIR Mechs). The difference is that you have to be careful in order not to die with a Vanguard, and you have to be careful in order to die with an Infiltrator. It takes a good bit of practice to get used to, and you'll still probably spend more time on most sections if you take into account the number of times you die and have to reload, but you seriously whiz through areas in half the time you would if you were sniping, not accounting for deaths.

Cep

Banned
Coxswain said:
Vanguard actually kills quite a bit faster than Infiltrator, except against 'tough' targets (ie: Scions, Praetorians, YMIR Mechs). The difference is that you have to be careful in order not to die with a Vanguard, and you have to be careful in order to die with an Infiltrator. It takes a good bit of practice to get used to, and you'll still probably spend more time on most sections if you take into account the number of times you die and have to reload, but you seriously whiz through areas in half the time you would if you were sniping, not accounting for deaths.

Perhaps post Widow/Claymore, but before, the defense stripping is a lot more important and it takes a couple of upgrades and level ups before your damage output is high enough (I have not tried NG+, but it is my understanding that it is even more significant there).

Besides, your Vanguard was your third character? By that point you probably knew the game well enough that it moved faster anyway.

I look forward to speed-runs for more accurate comparisons.

Also, Vanguards get less enemy spawns because charge moves them up and the game stops spawning enemies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Liara T'Soni said:
So a question about how individual saves work.

I've beaten the game once, so that counts as one complete playthrough right?

Now, if I want to use an old save to replay just the final mission, if I beat that mission again, will the game look at that as a completely separate playthrough and create another save? I really just want to beat the last part again so I can
save everyone/check out how different choices result,
but I don't want like 5 different saves for what is really one playthrough.
I don't remember if it overwrites this time around, but I'm positive you can delete end game saves/ME3 import saves in ME2.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I actually found the Vanguard smoother to play as on higher difficulties. :lol

On normal/veteran less enemies have defenses, so they go flying when you charge them. You then have to waste time chasing them down out of cover and shooting them. On hardcore/insanity, almost all enemies have defenses, leaving them stunned but standing after your first charge, and wide open and in close range for a very quick shotgun+melee kill. Of course, your shields/health are brought down much quicker, but playing the vanguard is all about strategizing the location and timing of your charges, so that you're free to recharge shields afterwards or be in good position to re-charge another enemy and restore your shields.

Coxswain

Cep said:
Perhaps post Widow/Claymore, but before, the defense stripping is a lot more important and it takes a couple of upgrades and level ups before your damage output is high enough (I have not tried NG+, but it is my understanding that it is even more significant there).
Actually, I just got the Claymore on my Vanguard (and swapped it out for the Katana to complete that mission anyway), so it's not that. Killing speed is good pretty much right from the get-go; what improves as you level up is mostly your durability, since your Charge gives you more and more Barrier, and you can use the Charge more and more often. You can get sloppy (or charge into a hot zone, if you're careful) at higher levels, whereas at low levels you're still ripping stuff down really fast, but you have to be very, very careful about only charging into places where you can kill two enemies and then take cover until it recharges.

In fairness, it does sort of depend on what you're fighting, with regard to fighting through protection. A Vanguard outpaces an Infiltrator versus mercs and non-Harbinger Collectors, because Shotguns are better at fighting Shields and Barriers than Sniper Rifles, and they're both fairly equal at taking down health (the melee supplement tipping the scales in the Vanguard's favour). It definitely helps to have AP Ammo if you're going to be fighting Vorcha, Krogan, or mechs, and obviously now you've also got the Eviscerator to choose if you know Armour is going to be a concern. But on the whole, I'd still say Vanguard kills faster. Reducing enemy spawns might be another factor, but even in areas with set spawns I found I got through them quicker using the Vanguard (and I was already moving fairly quickly on an Infiltrator since it was my second go-around on Insanity).
I think what makes the difference is that Vanguards just have so little downtime. Charge replenishes your shields so quickly that, if you're not screwing up, you almost never have to stop to let yourself do a full recharge, when you're attacking, non-Claymore shotguns have point-blank power on the level of the Mantis/Widow snipes, without needing to reload after every shot or wait for enemies to get out of cover, and between shots you're bashing away with a surprisingly powerful melee attack. It's just a huge, steady stream of damage - of course, if you miss a shot or the enemy gets out of melee range or you take enough damage to break the Charge chain, you're fucked, but when you manage to keep everything going, you're a hot knife through butter.

I'm definitely finding it neat how there's a decent bit of a skill curve to the game, though. The first couple weeks, you mostly just heard "Vanguard sucks" from all the people who tried it as their first choice. Now that people have had a while to get used to the game and its systems, it's neat how the class balance holds up a lot better than anybody's initial impression of it.

Cep

Banned
Coxswain said:
Actually, I just got the Claymore on my Vanguard (and swapped it out for the Katana to complete that mission anyway), so it's not that. Killing speed is good pretty much right from the get-go; what improves as you level up is mostly your durability, since your Charge gives you more and more Barrier, and you can use the Charge more and more often. You can get sloppy (or charge into a hot zone, if you're careful) at higher levels, whereas at low levels you're still ripping stuff down really fast, but you have to be very, very careful about only charging into places where you can kill two enemies and then take cover until it recharges.

In fairness, it does sort of depend on what you're fighting, with regard to fighting through protection. A Vanguard outpaces an Infiltrator versus mercs and non-Harbinger Collectors, because Shotguns are better at fighting Shields and Barriers than Sniper Rifles, and they're both fairly equal at taking down health (the melee supplement tipping the scales in the Vanguard's favour). It definitely helps to have AP Ammo if you're going to be fighting Vorcha, Krogan, or mechs, and obviously now you've also got the Eviscerator to choose if you know Armour is going to be a concern. But on the whole, I'd still say Vanguard kills faster. Reducing enemy spawns might be another factor, but even in areas with set spawns I found I got through them quicker using the Vanguard (and I was already moving fairly quickly on an Infiltrator since it was my second go-around on Insanity).
I think what makes the difference is that Vanguards just have so little downtime. Charge replenishes your shields so quickly that, if you're not screwing up, you almost never have to stop to let yourself do a full recharge, when you're attacking, non-Claymore shotguns have point-blank power on the level of the Mantis/Widow snipes, without needing to reload after every shot or wait for enemies to get out of cover, and between shots you're bashing away with a surprisingly powerful melee attack. It's just a huge, steady stream of damage - of course, if you miss a shot or the enemy gets out of melee range or you take enough damage to break the Charge chain, you're fucked, but when you manage to keep everything going, you're a hot knife through butter.

I'm definitely finding it neat how there's a decent bit of a skill curve to the game, though. The first couple weeks, you mostly just heard "Vanguard sucks" from all the people who tried it as their first choice. Now that people have had a while to get used to the game and its systems, it's neat how the class balance holds up a lot better than anybody's initial impression of it.

Very true. I do not know if I should be impressed or if this was sort of a mistake (especially seeing how Adepts ended up).

I may have to finish my Vanguard run(gave up out of boredom and went Infiltrator since i prefer Sniping), but I still stand by the fact that Charges ability to stop enemy spawns is really what allows the Vanguard to be as effective as it is.

Socreges

Banned
So what the fuck kind of glitch is this:

I'm on Miranda's loyalty mission. I got into an elevator, skipped the cut-scene, arrived at the next level, got out.... Miranda was no where to be seen. I could still hear her voice when I gave her commands, but she was not -physically- anywhere.

I just loaded the auto-save point and she's back. So weird.

Socreges said:

I'm on Miranda's loyalty mission. I got into an elevator, skipped the cut-scene, arrived at the next level, got out.... Miranda was no where to be seen. I could still hear her voice when I gave her commands, but she was not -physically- anywhere.

Things like that seems to happen in RPG's, I think I had similar experiences in past RPG's, may be because they are so vast.

deim0s

Socreges said:

My playthrough with a femshep is missing Miranda in the lobby before the first meetup with the Illusive Man.

Holy Shit, I never freaked out at the end of a game so much in my life. The last mission had me screaming at the TV every few minutes.
I did not know I cared about my team so much

They all survived though
(I don't even know if that is a spoiler though, as there is so many ways the game can play out)

Wiggum2007

So who on the art team for this game had the hard on for hexagons? Just off the top of my head, there's Jacob's outfit, Thane's, Miranda's, Tech Armor, Collector platforms, Collector hologram panels, basically everywhere else in Collector architecture. I'm sure there must be some hexagons I'm missing!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there are also six possible options on any one dialogue wheel.

coincidence?

Wiggum2007

Rez said:
there are also six possible options on any one dialogue wheel.

coincidence?

dggkxz.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Cep said:
It does and it is not.

Armor Piercing ammo stands with Disruptor ammo as the best in the game.

None of the others are close.

Just curious as to why this is.

Armor Piercing just does +60% damage to Armor and Health, right?

This is the same bonus that Inferno Ammo has, except that it has an area affect.

Coverly

Just beat the game last night!

I stayed away from this and the story discussion thread to avoid spoilers and it was well worth it.
I'll spend the next couple days going through these threads to see what I've missed.

Dresden said:
Eh? I beat the game with one, and later on when you have your skills maxed out, Charge refreshes in like three and a half seconds. Anything lower than Insanity, you're invincible. On Insanity, it means you might need to let your health regen a bit once in a while. Nothing short of entrenched positions filled with five or more enemies will stop Vanguards at that level. Add in Area Reave and your squads debuffing at will and you'll blow through almost every mission with ease.

I have to admit that I'm biased, because I love adepts even on Insanity and I'm bored by sniping. :D To each his own.

It's a free shield refresh that lets you get into melee range, where your shotgun deals double damage, rips through shields and armor in one shot, and lets you melee-lock most enemies to death. And that's on Insanity, where Shockwave is tied with Throw as the most useless biotic abilities in the game.

Are you serious?? LOL on veteran and hardcore maxed out Shockwave it crazy broken..I never even had to fire my gun half the time! I could just spam shockwave and knock most enemies off of platforms or into explosives. I am starting my insanity playthrough now so I'm sure it will not be as effective but to say it's a useless ability is ridiculous. It's one of the best imo.

GuardianE said:

This is the same bonus that Inferno Ammo has, except that it has an area affect.
Yeah and why is Disruptor Ammo so good? Inferno is better IMO because you fight more organics in the game...

Cep

Banned
GuardianE said:

AP is actually +70% per shot. IA is a status effect inflicted onto them and is +60% over 3 seconds(+20% each second). All continued IA shots do is maintain the status.

AP can easily out-pace IA. IA's only real upside is that it panics organics in the red and that it is passive.

The Lamonster said:
Yeah and why is Disruptor Ammo so good? Inferno is better IMO because you fight more organics in the game...

Because it turns synthetics into bombs, tears through shields and overheats weapons. After an enemy no longer has defenses, just about anything in the game will kill them.

BTW, this is all for insane. I have not played the game on the easier difficulties so...

About how long is it to beat the game after
traveling through the Omega 4 relay?

Also, do you have to do all of the loyalty quests? I did most of them before
getting the IFF drive
, but it seemed like I had to finish the last two before
it was installed

Wiggum2007 said:
So who on the art team for this game had the hard on for hexagons? Just off the top of my head, there's Jacob's outfit, Thane's, Miranda's, Tech Armor, Collector platforms, Collector hologram panels, basically everywhere else in Collector architecture. I'm sure there must be some hexagons I'm missing!

Don't forget the Cerberus logo, barriers in he first game, barriers in this game, the briefing room table, EDI's hologram....

Maybe there'll be a hexagon cult in the next game.

Wiggum2007

-viper- said:
How many hours (on average) does it take to complete ME2?

Seems like most people are beating it in ~25 hours. There's definitely enough content to last you longer then that though, I personally clocked in at 50 hours by the time I finished though that's probably the absolute max, that was after taking my time and completing basically everything.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Cep said:
AP is actually +70% per shot. IA is a status effect inflicted onto them and is +60% over 3 seconds(+20% each second). All continued IA shots do is maintain the status.

AP can easily out-pace IA. IA's only real upside is that it panics organics in the red and that it is passive.

Oh, 70%. Didn't know that.

You know for a fact that the burning statuses don't stack with each shot? I mean, I would assume they don't stack, but I'm not sure since I haven't tested it.

AP is passive too, isn't it? I thought all Ammo skills were.

The panic associated with Inferno is kinda worthless, but I do like the splash damage. Also, it stops health/shield regen for as long as it's active.

Wiggum2007 said:
Seems like most people are beating it in ~25 hours. There's definitely enough content to last you longer then that though, I personally clocked in at 50 hours by the time I finished though that's probably the absolute max, that was after taking my time and completing basically everything.
42 hours here. I conversed as much as possible, exploring most dialogue options. I also did a lot of planet scanning and a lot of shopping around the cities for upgrades.

Cep

Banned
GuardianE said:
Oh, 70%. Didn't know that.

You know for a fact that they don't stack? I mean, I would assume they don't stack, but I'm not sure since I haven't tested it.

AP is passive too, isn't it? I thought all Ammo skills were.

The panic associated with Inferno is kinda worthless, but I do like the splash damage. Also, it stops health/shield regen for as long as it's active.

By passive I mean the all you do is inflict burning, which does a set amount of damage for 3 seconds. Continued shots do not do more damage, they just extend burning.

Cep said:

Because it turns synthetics into bombs, tears through shields and overheats weapons. After an enemy no longer has defenses, just about anything in the game will kill them.

BTW, this is all for insane. I have not played the game on the easier difficulties so...

What is the dmg of Warp ammo vs. Armor Piercing?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MWS Natural said:

Well, the reason I had a question about Inferno vs. AP is because they seem to largely effect the same things... Armor and Health. Warp is better in different ways because it's stronger against different defenses, I think (shields?).

I wish it were easier to see the stats of all the different exclusive squadmember skills while on the Normandy. The only reason why I'm so indecisive is because I can't compare the different skills easily.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wait, so the Claymore shotty is actually good? As in Widow/this-weapon-makes-the-entire-class-worth-it?
MWS Natural said:
I'd like to know this too. Warp ammo just seems so all purpose... I wish someone could give me more details about Cryo ammo too. I think it sucks, but I'm not sure.

Cep

Banned
MWS Natural said:

AP is better, but warp does +damage to enemies under barrier/biotics.

On insane, AP is still better. But, we need to know the exact bonus against biotics to know for sure.

DY_nasty said:
Wait, so the Claymore shotty is actually good? As in Widow/this-weapon-makes-the-entire-class-worth-it?
I'd like to know this too. Warp ammo just seems so all purpose... I wish someone could give me more details about Cryo ammo too. I think it sucks, but I'm not sure.

Both classes were good before them. They are just broken after.

Cryo does indeed suck as it only EVER becomes useful after defenses are stripped.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
MWS Natural said:
Are you serious?? LOL on veteran and hardcore maxed out Shockwave it crazy broken..I never even had to fire my gun half the time! I could just spam shockwave and knock most enemies off of platforms or into explosives. I am starting my insanity playthrough now so I'm sure it will not be as effective but to say it's a useless ability is ridiculous. It's one of the best imo.

I actually feel the same way about throw, if only for the missions where you face
husks
. It's not entirely useful otherwise, but area throw is great when you have a bunch of them running at you. It recharges quickly and you can get out of the way while your squad does more damage.

I haven't played it on insanity either, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DY_nasty said:

For me, it does. I liked the Vanguard to begin with, but the Claymore shotgun is so powerful it one shot kills most enemies after a biotic charge. If they're still alive, a melee will do enough to finish them off. You only get one shot per reload, but the reload is thankfully short.

With the right upgrades and skills, the Claymore shotgun will one shot every enemy in the game that's not a Krogan or a Hunter geth or miniboss. And that includes Insanity. There's a vid on Youtube about it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Cep said:
Both classes were good before them. They are just broken after.

Cryo does indeed suck as it only EVER becomes useful after defenses are stripped.
I was stuck choosing between the AR and the Claymore for my Vanguard. Decided to give the AR a shot and never really looked back but now that I've come to a certain point of no return, I may just go back to that save and try to give it a run. Its just so damned hard to play as a vanguard when your damage is so inconsistent (The shittyness of Cryo Ammo may have played a part in that). The AR, especially the Vindicator, is great but kind of neutralizes all of the strengths of the Vanguard at the same time.

prodystopian said:
About how long is it to beat the game after
traveling through the Omega 4 relay?

Also, do you have to do all of the loyalty quests? I did most of them before
getting the IFF drive
, but it seemed like I had to finish the last two before
it was installed

For the new page.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DY_nasty said:
I was stuck choosing between the AR and the Claymore for my Vanguard. Decided to give the AR a shot and never really looked back but now that I've come to a certain point of no return, I may just go back to that save and try to give it a run. Its just so damned hard to play as a vanguard when your damage is so inconsistent (The shittyness of Cryo Ammo may have played a part in that). The AR, especially the Vindicator, is great but kind of neutralizes all of the strengths of the Vanguard at the same time.

By equipping an Assault Rifle, you're pretty much choosing to not play as a Vanguard. I would have gone Sniper Rifle, possibly, since very long distances and ledges are the Vanguard's weakness, but the Claymore shotgun looked way too much fun to pass up.

I haven't spent a single point in Cryo ammo, and after reading some of the comments here, I'm glad I didn't. Maybe try respecing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom