• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmj

Arde5643 said:
It's weird actually. As an adept on hardcore, I expected to do lots of warp against enemies, but it seems I have a better time using singularities and pull than warp.

I find warp's cooldown a bit too slow for my liking whereas singularity basically stuns one or more enemies letting me and my teammates take potshots at them.

For unshielded enemies, pull is too good since it just lets them hang there for a long time. And combined with ledges, pull + throw basically is an instant kill.

I only use warps when I cannot use singularity so I really don't see the big deal for warps outside of YMIR and boss fights (praetorians).
I haven't tried the Singularity + Pull combo, but since Singularity by itself hardly does any damage, and neither does Pull, wouldn't you be moving enemies around more than killing them?

Warp is slow, but since Singularity is very unlikely to capture everyone in the room shooting at you (seriously, I don't think I've ever stunned more than three enemies at once, and it's usually just one), it's much safer than poking your head out and eat some bullets or an insta-kill rocket combo.

I'll definitely try any techniques given though, as I'm having trouble at times and I'm sure there are always things I could be doing better.

fernoca

:lol :lol :lol

Who's under the female Sheppard thing?
His body looks really well rendered for just some quick mod and I don't remember any shirtless guy on the game, heck when my male Sheppard had sex he was fully clothed...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
fernoca said:

His body looks really well rendered for just some quick mod and I don't remember any shirtless guy on the game, heck when my male Sheppard had sex he was fully clothed...

It's Jacob. If you watch the video, you also see KroganShep sitting on his lap.

birdman

fernoca said:

Jacob.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
fernoca said:

Looks like Jacob.

Sai

... That's terrifying.

Has anybody ripped music from the game? Lots of stuff missing from the official soundtrack.

sdornan

Just noticed that the original Mass Effect is now #22 on the video game bestsellers list on Amazon, above Modern Warfare 2 on PS3, Mario Kart Wii, and God of War: Collection.

careksims

neojubei said:
Anyone seen this?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DCC11100&mode=retail

Looks like we will see some action figures but it won't be until Aug. Hopefully DC Direct makes a model of the Normandy SR1 and SR2.

Edit: you Tali lovers out there are nuts, the Tali action figure preorder is already sold out

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DCC11103&mode=retail

LOL I ordered 2 Talis from Toywiz.com >_> Finding out there was gonna' be an action figure of her made my day. It's funny... she's also the most expensive one out of the bunch.

AND AHHHH! at Krogan Shepard! Can't unsee!

mrmyth

So I just beat it today. Probably the funniest moment for me in the game was caused unintentionally.

so the whole game we've been facing controlled Collector drones who are badass. So I'm wearing the Terminator baby Reaper down slowly, and suddenly he starts spawning Collector drones and one of them gets taken over. I'm cursing the TV because now I'm going to be pulled out of cover by this asshole's blast and the Reaper is going to nuke me. Well, the Reaper charges up and lets loose a blast - and promptly kills every Collector. This proceeded to happen each time Collectors were spawned. Maybe this was a Bioware design decision, but all those guys ended up being was extra heat sinks dispensers.

Fun ride playing as a Sentinel. AI is dumb and cannot ignore combat drones.

Arde5643

pmj said:
I haven't tried the Singularity + Pull combo, but since Singularity by itself hardly does any damage, and neither does Pull, wouldn't you be moving enemies around more than killing them?

Warp is slow, but since Singularity is very unlikely to capture everyone in the room shooting at you (seriously, I don't think I've ever stunned more than three enemies at once, and it's usually just one), it's much safer than poking your head out and eat some bullets or an insta-kill rocket combo.

I'll definitely try any techniques given though, as I'm having trouble at times and I'm sure there are always things I could be doing better.
Ah no, I'm not talking about using singularity then pull.

I'm talking about using singularity to stun several enemies, shoot them with warp ammo taking their defenses down where they will then float away thanks to singularity's effect to unprotected enemies.

Instead of killing the unprotected enemies right away, I keep using singularity against the other shielded/barrier opponents to strip away their defenses.

If any unprotected enemies get up from the singularity/pull effect, I use pull to hold them in the air while I strip the rest of the defenses of the stunned enemies.

Singularity + warp ammo makes very short work of enemies' defenses and any unprotected enemy cannot do anything against the adept.

If you notice I never mention warp since I find I use warp very rarely thanks to the singularity + warp ammo effect of stripping down enemy defenses very quickly.
Every time I've used warp, I had to stay in cover longer making fights even drawn out and enabling the stunned enemies to recover.

I find that adept's best squad members are squads with superior firepower or toughness at close combat (Zaeed, Garrus, Thane, Grunt, Jacob).
As an adept, you really don't need any other members with CC powers.
Any protected enemy who is stunned by singularity gets its shields/barriers taken down so quickly with warp ammo/squad disruptor ammo that the only thing you really need are superior weaponry to kill them.

Interestingly, I also find the default SMG (machine pistol) to be of better use for the adept in stripping down defenses of stunned enemies than the Tempest SMG.
In 2-3 bursts with machine pistol, enemy defenses are already down whereas it takes more than that for the Tempest.
And with the low health of the adept, popping out of cover to shoot should be done as little as possible making superior firepower a priority rather than ammo size.

Dresden

I had the best luck using Thane and Miranda with the Adept. Just give them Heavy Warp and you can focus on spamming Singularity. Toss a singularity into a group of shielded/armored mobs, strip defenses, and when one starts floating up just hit them with an instant Warp detonation, courtesy of one of your biotic-using teammates. And even on Insanity, anything short of a YMIR mech is easily controlled.

I do think Armor piercing ammo is superior to warp ammo for an adept, though. The only advantage that warp ammo has is that it affect barriers as well, but you have Warp, which destroys barriers in the first place. The damage bonus from armor piercing ammo is great from the start of the game and only gets better, especially if you unlock assault rifles or snipers later on in the game.

Also, am I the only one who thought that the section in Archangel's loyalty mission, where, at the end, you face
two YMIR mechs and some LOKI mechs at the same time
harder than the collector ship? The only challenging part are the floating platforms and you still have static cover where the only thing that really 'rushes' you is the Harbinger... while against the YMIR mechs, if you don't take them out in twenty seconds they're on you stomping on your party.

Mirimar

Hoping I get
Legion's
loyalty mission in time after doing the IFF mission. Has anyone else done this route? Does it pop up before the point of no return? Sort of wishing I hadn't completed every single side quest before this, lol. There's literally nothing left for me to do except IFF, everything is 100% :lol

Arde5643

Dresden said:
I had the best luck using Thane and Miranda with the Adept. Just give them Heavy Warp and you can focus on spamming Singularity. Toss a singularity into a group of shielded/armored mobs, strip defenses, and when one starts floating up just hit them with an instant Warp detonation, courtesy of one of your biotic-using teammates.

I do think Armor piercing ammo is superior to warp ammo for an adept, though. The only advantage that warp ammo has is that it affect barriers as well, but you have Warp, which destroys barriers in the first place. The damage bonus from armor piercing ammo is great from the start of the game and only gets better, especially if you unlock assault rifles or snipers later on in the game.
Doesn't warp ammo do more damage to enemies who are within a biotic thing though (like singularity)?

Dresden

Arde5643 said:
Doesn't warp ammo do more damage to enemies who are within a biotic thing though (like singularity)?

Really? Unless it's enough to make up for the 20% damage difference between ArP ammo and Warp ammo, I doubt it's worth it.

Swag

I just wANNA sAY that I think MAss Effect is a great game and I think evervyone should play it, also cEP is good people he answers all my questions and has insightful opinions.

LIKE A BOSS

SlickVic

Looking to try another class now that I beat ME2 with a soldier. Like to use a class that relies a ton on biotics (i.e. something quite different from a soldier). Should I try Adept or something else?

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
Really? Unless it's enough to make up for the 20% damage difference between ArP ammo and Warp ammo, I doubt it's worth it.

It does and it is not.

Armor Piercing ammo stands with Disruptor ammo as the best in the game.

None of the others are close.

SlickVic said:
Looking to try another class now that I beat ME2 with a soldier. Like to use a class that relies a ton on biotics (i.e. something quite different from a soldier). Should I try Adept or something else?
Definitely Adept if you want to use biotics. Second choice would be Vanguard or something, but that's lame.

ili0926

Mirimar said:
Hoping I get
Legion's
loyalty mission in time after doing the IFF mission. Has anyone else done this route? Does it pop up before the point of no return? Sort of wishing I hadn't completed every single side quest before this, lol. There's literally nothing left for me to do except IFF, everything is 100% :lol

You'll be fine. Once you activate him and go back to CIC, Kelly will tell you that he wants to talk to you, iirc. Then you can do the quest. The next time you go to the galaxy map after completing his loyalty quest and EDI says you'll have to use a shuttle to get to your next mission will be the point of no return.

Cep

Banned
SlickVic said:

It depends on the difficulty.

On insanity, I suggest Sentinel + Reave.

They are a short step behind Infiltrators as the best class in the game.

Anything lower, I suggest Vanguard. They may suck, but they are fun to play.

Adepts are easily the worst class in the game. You can and you will have fun, But playing them just equates to you spamming singularity and trying not to get owned when you pop out of cover.

Dresden

The only thing you'll be doing with a Vanguard is Charge-Shotgun-Melee-Charge-Shotgun-Melee, over and over again. I suppose it's exciting for some people, but I preferred the Adept much more. Nothing like creating mass effect storms and blowing people up with Warp detonations.

Vanguards are decent in Insanity, though. They suck levels 1~6 or so, but after you get Heavy Charge, with the new shotgun that came out, it's pretty damn good. Most of the time you'll clear stuff out faster than almost any other class in the game.

Adepts are easily the worst class in the game. You can and you will have fun, But playing them just equates to you spamming singularity and trying not to get owned when you pop out of cover.

To be fair, every class in the game at the highest difficulty will be spamming one or two abilities at most. There's no real room for variety since you need to use your class at it's highest potential. Singularity is a fun ability and it locks down bosses like nothing else in the game. Even combat drones don't lock down Scions or Harbingers like Singularity.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
The only thing you'll be doing with a Vanguard is Charge-Shotgun-Melee-Charge-Shotgun-Melee, over and over again. I suppose it's exciting for some people, but I preferred the Adept much more. Nothing like creating mass effect storms and blowing people up with Warp detonations.

You make it seem so simple, and it is not. Shit can get you killed, and that is why people like it.

I personally find them pretty dull to play as, but they are more fun to play than adepts.

X26

Banned
Charge becomes pretty useless later in the game, does no real damage and jsut leaves you vulnerable, and thta's on normal difficulty. Shockwave's the better power in the long run

Dresden

Cep said:
You make it seem so simple, and it is not. Shit can get you killed, and that is why people like it.

I personally find them pretty dull to play as, but they are more fun to play than adepts.

Eh? I beat the game with one, and later on when you have your skills maxed out, Charge refreshes in like three and a half seconds. Anything lower than Insanity, you're invincible. On Insanity, it means you might need to let your health regen a bit once in a while. Nothing short of entrenched positions filled with five or more enemies will stop Vanguards at that level. Add in Area Reave and your squads debuffing at will and you'll blow through almost every mission with ease.

I have to admit that I'm biased, because I love adepts even on Insanity and I'm bored by sniping. :D To each his own.

Charge becomes pretty useless later in the game, does no real damage and jsut leaves you vulnerable, and thta's on normal difficulty. Shockwave's the better power in the long run

It's a free shield refresh that lets you get into melee range, where your shotgun deals double damage, rips through shields and armor in one shot, and lets you melee-lock most enemies to death. And that's on Insanity, where Shockwave is tied with Throw as the most useless biotic abilities in the game.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
Eh? I beat the game with one, and later on when you have your skills maxed out, Charge refreshes in like three and a half seconds. Anything lower than Insanity, you're invincible. On Insanity, it means you might need to let your health regen a bit once in a while. Nothing short of entrenched positions filled with five or more enemies will stop Vanguards at that level. Add in Area Reave and your squads debuffing at will and you'll blow through almost every mission with ease.

This also applies to the Sentinel and Infiltrator.

Infiltrator being the fastest killer, Sentinel being the surest and safest and Vanguard "the most fun."

The Hybrids are the best classes. Followed closely by Soldier. Then Engineer and Adept.

SlickVic

Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I'll end up trying Adept first and perhaps do a Vanguard run after that. So much time from now till ME3, might as well get try more of these classes.

Definitely not playing on Insanity ever so if these classes are all competent on the lower difficulties, I think I'll be able to enjoy them.

pmj said:
I'm about 10 hours in on my Adept Insanity run.

As others have said, use Singularity a lot, and then shoot and better yet throw things like Warp on them. Do it right and you'll get a detonation with bonus damage. Still, be prepared having to abuse shitty enemy AI by kiting more difficult enemies around objects. You'll probably want something like Warp ammo as bonus skill, but there might be better options.

And since you can't afford every upgrade in the game, be careful with what you buy.

A little advice (may be obvious) for when you fight collectors as an Adept on Insanity: Take Mordin (with his fire skill maxed out) and Zaeed (with his fire grenade skill thing maxed out) and you will tear through those fuckers.

Arde5643

Cep said:
It does and it is not.

Armor Piercing ammo stands with Disruptor ammo as the best in the game.

None of the others are close.
I guess I'll try this out and see how it stands up - my biggest problem so far with the adept is taking down heavy armor.

Dresden

Arde5643 said:
I guess I'll try this out and see how it stands up - my biggest problem so far with the adept is taking down heavy armor.

Warp is the second best power for taking out armor. Just spam that thing every cooldown and take potshots with your Carnifex.

Cep

Banned
Arde5643 said:

Then Reave may be a better choice.

That and take Garrus/Zaeed/Samara/Mordin

Oh yeah, your extra slot is already taken. Do as Dresden says: Spam warp.

Arde5643

Dresden said:
Warp is the second best power for taking out armor. Just spam that thing every cooldown and take potshots with your Carnifex.
Well, I'm taking the sniper training so I guess I won't be having problems with armor anymore.

I dislike spamming warp due to the cooldown though - I find singularity + warp ammo working much better and more active to actually disable multitude enemies rather than just spamming warp to take off defense.

Once you use warp, you're limited by your cooldown and have to wait in cover or risk being shot at since warp doesn't stun.

Cep

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Well, I'm taking the sniper training so I guess I won't be having problems with armor anymore.

Good choice, the only class that should probably not take Sniper/Widow is the vanguard.

And with the new Shotgun, that too may change.

Didn't want to bump the ME1 thread... just finished ME1 (so awesome :) ), and I am ready to start ME2. Quick question, I kind of rushed through the main story - i barely did any subquests. Are there some that are recommended for better appreciating the backstory of ME2 (significantly, not just a silly cameo, unless it's an awesomely silly cameo), or more importantly, are there subquests of ME1 that actually affect ME2 (through the save import feature)?

More generally, if I don't enjoy grinding, are there some subquests of ME1 that should not be missed (BDTS?)

edit: I know at least I didn't help the humans with their VI on that asteroid. Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom