• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gillian Seed said:

Yikes, I was just thinking to myself that "if I was a member of the gaming press, I would not post these links for fear of Microsoft's PR department!" I'm surprised IGN posted this up.

Wow, even the Justin.TV stream I'm watching has people yammering about this. The OP is playing ME2 on PC and just stopped playing so he can download the '360 content. :lol

Weenerz

Banned
BTW, make sure you confirm that your xbox received the items. I logged into my profile on my 360 and it said incorrect system, or whatever. You just have to re-confirm and download.

DodgerSan

Screw it, you guys are right. Having been screwed over on pre-order bonuses so often (most recently Dragon Age), I really can't drum up any remorse on this.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DodgerSan said:
Screw it, you guys are right. Having been screwed over on pre-order bonuses so often (most recently Dragon Age), I really can't drum up any remorse on this.
23lk0us.png

:D

Everyone keep me posted on when MS locks them down. 30min till I'm home and I can download, I'm nervous they're gonna cut it off before I get there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pirating DLC you normally would have to pay for is wrong, as is pirating the 'free' DLC offered by the Cerberus Network should you own a used copy. In my opinion you pay for what you want access to.

But the bullshit pre-order bonuses make no sense, so take them whenever you can get them. The Collectors Armor/Weapon makes a little sense, being part of the CE version and thus part of the overall CE package, but the Terminus and Inferno armor is bullshit. The idea of making content literally impossible to get unless you buy multiple copies of the same game, and in some cases outright impossible to get depending on where you live in the world, is a low business move.

If you want to offer pre-order bonuses, fine. But dont have one place offer one, and then another place offer another. Its a middle finger to people who want the whole package, as there's no reasonable way to obtain them.

TL;DR - Get them while they're hot.

pahamrick said:
Pretty sure something like this happened with Gears 2, concerning the Golden Lancer / Golden Hammerburst, but MS fixed it and somehow deleted the content from those who got it without the codes.

Or am I miss-remembering? I'm guessing that was easier because it was just an unlock download where as this is actual DLC that can mess up save games if its not available.

In either case, I grabbed the Terminus Gear and fingers crossed it doesn't get fix and deleted by MS next time I log into LIVE heh.

Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know if someone has already commented on this, but I got a Golder Hammerburst from that error, and they didn't delete it. All they did was up the price to something absurd like 9,999,999 Microsoft Points, and called it a day.

Rikyfree

Efrendal said:
Sweet! got all of them on my HD now. Thanks a lot for the link!

i've always hated preorder-bonuses so this was a great way to "stick it to the man" :D
I put them on my DL queue. I'll still be able to DL these for free when my 360 is fixed, ya? Because it says on my account that they are purchased.

Truant

Truant said:
For those of you who finished it:

- I'm 24 hours in, and just recruited my final party member, the Asari. How much further do I have if I continue doing most of the sidequests, mining for stuff, etc?

- The derelict collector ship has been the absolute high-point up untill now. Does it get better?

- The menu shows vehicle controls, but I've yet to encounter any. Without revealing too much, is this still in the game?

Quoting myself here.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Weenerz said:
I agree, the regular edition does look a little crappy, but the CE cover looks pretty crazy.

I refuse to buy "CE"-versions, but yeah, the regular one looks like a joke and the CE is much better. If they were gonna go with this type of cover for the regular version I'm sure they could have done a lot better. The first Mass Effect game, although far from great, had a much better looking cover.

KHarvey16

ItsInMyVeins said:
I refuse to buy "CE"-versions

Eh? I mean, I can see not wanting this or any CE if the extra stuff isn't interesting to you, but why would you refuse on the basis of principal? That seems a little weird.

ItsInMyVeins said:
I've pre-ordered the game but man, that cover is one of the ugliest I've seen in a long time.

I paid what essentially amounts to a $30 premium just because of that cover. $13 extra for CE on Amazon, no $10 Amazon credit for CE pre-order, $6 from having to cancel my original pre-order for a standard copy from last summer when ECA Amazon codes were still around.

No regrets!

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I paid what essentially amounts to a $30 premium just because of that cover. $13 extra for CE on Amazon, no $10 Amazon credit for CE pre-order, $6 from having to cancel my original pre-order for a standard copy from last summer when ECA Amazon codes were still around.

No regrets!

Really? As soon as i take the game out, all i ever see is the spine on my shelf.

gillFTR

I'm getting the CE myself why does this have to come out on a tuesday, :( I got class from 12pm to 5pm. I hate when that happens I literally sit there just looking at the clock during lectures.

snack

Net_Wrecker said:
I don't know if someone has already commented on this, but I got a Golder Hammerburst from that error, and they didn't delete it. All they did was up the price to something absurd like 9,999,999 Microsoft Points, and called it a day.

I remember reading about this on the internet. Pretty funny stuff.

itsinmyveins

KHarvey16 said:
Eh? I mean, I can see not wanting this or any CE if the extra stuff isn't interesting to you, but why would you refuse on the basis of principal? That seems a little weird.

You seem a little weird!

Back in the day when every game didn't have a collectors edition I occasionally bought them if it was a game I really liked (or the series, rather). But this last generation every damn game's got a collectors edition and comes with either a stupid extra suit in-game, a crappy doll or a short book with artwork. I'm not gonna pay more than 20 bucks extra for that.

KHarvey16

ItsInMyVeins said:
You seem a little weird!

Back in the day when every game didn't have a collectors edition I occasionally bought them if it was a game I really liked (or the series, rather). But this last generation every damn game's got a collectors edition and comes with either a stupid extra suit in-game, a crappy doll or a short book with artwork. I'm not gonna pay more than 20 bucks extra for that.

I thought the difference was like $12 or something. My PC CE was like $59 I think. C'mon, you get a cool looking tin!

Firestorm

DodgerSan said:
I'm not going to risk it. MS have a history of hammering people who knowingly take advantage of things like this. They've reset gamerscores, blocked Live access etc. It's not worth it for me.

Saying that, pre-order content segregation sucks major balls. My finger did hover over that download button for a good while. I'm paying damn good money for the collector's edition, but I still miss a load of stuff.
Yeah, no they haven't. I did this for the Gears of War 2 content and that's still on my hard drive. I downloaded this as I don't plan on pre-ordering or buying a Collector's Edition. Not sure why since I never use the free DLC weapons/armour anyway. However, that last DLC seems to be story related so definitely need to get in on that.

Trickster

KHarvey16 said:
I thought the difference was like $12 or something. My PC CE was like $59 I think. C'mon, you get a cool looking tin!

$12 for a tin case you're never gonna look at anyway, totally worth it! :D

Truant

I tried the PC version. The aliasing is insane, my 360 copy actually looks better in a lot of ways. The only AA I can enable is the UE3 compability mode through nHancer, and that runs soooo sloow.

Superior PC version? No.

itsinmyveins

KHarvey16 said:

Maybe where you live, but certainly not here! I'm getting the X360-version though, simply because I played the last one on console too.

The regular version costs almost USD80 and the collectors edition runs at USD100-110 (granted that you can find the various version slightly cheaper at some places, but I'd say that's the "regular" in-store price).

I dunno, I just feel like the game companies are taking advantage of video gamers fondness of collectibles by throwing some subpar product in with the game and calling it a collectors edition. Granted, not every CE does this, but to me it seems most of them do and that's why I don't want to buy them.

Peff

Heh, I've just realized that Collector's Weapon and Armor is supposed to be a pun. Oh, well, got all that stuff even though some of it doesn't look very useful.

KHarvey16

ItsInMyVeins said:
Maybe where you live, but certainly not here! I'm getting the X360-version though, simply because I played the last one on console too.

The regular version costs almost USD80 and the collectors edition runs at USD100-110 (granted that you can find the various version slightly cheaper at some places, but I'd say that's the "regular" in-store price).

I dunno, I just feel like the game companies are taking advantage of video gamers fondness of collectibles by throwing some subpar product in with the game and calling it a collectors edition. Granted, not every CE does this, but to me it seems most of them do and that's why I don't want to buy them.

Ah I see, yeah I wouldn't pay $100+ either. Although it does seem like this CE is actually limited going by the small numbers for pre-order at Gamestop. Also I think Amazon is sold out completely.

itsinmyveins

WickedLaharl said:
i don't feel bad about downloading that stuff at all because retailer specific preorder bonuses suck ass.

What, you don't like getting a piece of paper with a code that unlocks some shitty extra skin for an in-game guitar or a weapon? :)

KHarvey16 said:
Ah I see, yeah I wouldn't pay $100+ either. Although it does seem like this CE is actually limited going by the small numbers for pre-order at Gamestop. Also I think Amazon is sold out completely.

Yes, but the ugliness of the regular cover almost makes me want to change my pre-order. Maybe that's what they want? >:/

EDIT: FUUUUUCK, suddenly I want to change my order to the CE :lol

KHarvey16

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yes, but the ugliness of the regular cover almost makes me want to change my pre-order. Maybe that's what they want? >:/

EDIT: FUUUUUCK, suddenly I want to change my order to the CE :lol

Muahahahaha it's working! :lol

Gamer @ Heart said:
Really? As soon as i take the game out, all i ever see is the spine on my shelf.

I'll fully admit to how idiotic my justification is. I wouldn't say it's the only reason, but it was definitely the deciding factor, as it was also the deciding factor in me NOT getting the CE of the first game, which had "acceptable" cover art and weak collectible bonuses. The only CE I bought for the bonuses was Fallout 3. Every other time was for box art or because they were on sale/clearance. It also deserves mention, I've never regretted buying a CE (except maybe Halo Legendary since I have nowhere to put that ridiculous helmet), but I have regretted NOT buying CEs that would turn out to be somewhat valuable (Tales of Vesperia and Mass Effect come to mind).

The decision was also made before I had a printer to print custom covers with. Now that I can do that, I probably won't pay $10 more just for better box art. Though the amount of ink it takes to print is nothing to sneeze at. At "High" quality on glossy photo paper, about 15 covers killed my colored ink cartridge. Considering I got the printer for $40 on Amazon after Thanksgiving and XL capacity cartridges are $26, I'll probably hold off on repackaging my PSOne and GBA collections in DVD and DS cases, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom