• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling a bit meh about Hammerhead early...just judging by the pics it doesn't look like the ground will actually be something we can walk on. So basically it's just some flying/shooting bullshit?

We'll see...

Dark FaZe said:
Feeling a bit meh about Hammerhead early...just judging by the pics it doesn't look like the ground will actually be something we can walk on. So basically it's just some flying/shooting bullshit?

We'll see...

Actually, since we're speaking of DLC and whatnot...

My Cerberus code never worked out of the box - it just didn't do anything after it accepted the code. After that it began to decline the same code. It's the code that came inside the box. Am I the only one that had this problem, and since I have this problem, who could I approach about this? Do I need to call EA? Bioware? Hmm..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dark FaZe said:

We'll see...

I'm expecting it to be minimal in open exploration, have no abiltiy at all to get out of the vehicle, and have a relatively large focus on combat.

So no Mako repalcement. But I'm still going to enjoy it because I'm a Mass Effect slut.

Mindlog

EatChildren said:
I'm expecting it to be minimal in open exploration, have no abiltiy at all to get out of the vehicle, and have a relatively large focus on combat.

So no Mako repalcement. But I'm still going to enjoy it because I'm a Mass Effect slut.

Yeah. Just saw the footage...

A little more Wipeout than I was expecting...

watership

So did anyone see the Hamerhead footage yet? There is lots of talk and media about other things on Gametrailers TV tonight but not this? I did some google searching and there is ...nothing.

Finished the game tonight. Man, I
really liked the last boss. He wasn't hard, I beat him the first time on insanity, but I liked the idea/concept/execution for the most part. I thought the pacing of the whole last area was really swell, I liked everything about it from the chamber gates to the biotic shield. Even on insane I never felt like I was unable to get to that next checkpoint and when I made it quick I felt like a powerhouse.

Where's Mass Effect 3? Sigh..

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Actually, since we're speaking of DLC and whatnot...

My Cerberus code never worked out of the box - it just didn't do anything after it accepted the code. After that it began to decline the same code. It's the code that came inside the box. Am I the only one that had this problem, and since I have this problem, who could I approach about this? Do I need to call EA? Bioware? Hmm..
You're gonna have to call EA.

Zen

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Well, I figured it out. Bioware is still socially regressive and won't allow female on female interactions. Speaking of that
if I get Morinth way early on and romance her, can I get with her even though I'm a female? Akin to how you can get with Liara in the first whether male or female because she is Asari? I also assume you -cannot- get with Tali still, right? In fact, out of all the teammates, what are all of the viable options?

The weird thing about Tali is that you can get her to say that she'd 'share suit air' with you, yet you can't proceed past that point if you're female Shepard

It's odd that Dragon Age is so progressive (if immature) yet Mass Effect has done nothing but become less Mature between the first and second game when it comes to the romances.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It would be nice if the POS GameTrailers website would actually load the show for me. I fucking hate their player so much.

EatChildren

Finally seeing the footage it does look like fun. Hopefully the missions wont be too short. It looks exactly like I expected; exclusively focused on combat, no ability to exit, and very little if any exploration.

While I'm sure I'll enjoy it I'm get increasingly more and more pissed off with BioWare's decision to completely remove any sense of exploration and wonderous size to the galaxy in the franchise. Even though I consider ME2 the superior game, I feel they really dropped the ball in the exploration/wonder area, and I dont see them bothering to change it for ME3.

Oh well.

duckroll

So I'm guessing after the Hammerhead and Kasumi, there might be at most 1 or 2 more free DLC mission packs or weapons, and after June or so they'll start rolling out the pay DLC? I don't see them continuing the free DLC thing forever...

golem

Didnt know they had mentioned anything about a standalone product next year. Doesnt sound like its going to be ME3 either, wonder what it shall consist of... sidestory or different genre?

golem said:
Didnt know they had mentioned anything about a standalone product next year. Doesnt sound like its going to be ME3 either, wonder what it shall consist of... sidestory or different genre?
If anything else it will be a major expansion. The way they talked about it just seems rather in that direction. Possibly some type of story extension DLC.

EatChildren

Revelations said:
If anything else it will be a major expansion. The way they talked about it just seems rather in that direction. Possibly some type of story extension DLC.

They've mentioned that they want to explore
Liara + Shadow Broker
content in an expansion of sorts, but whether or not it sees the light of day remains unknown.

We're getting th Firewalker pack at the end of this munch, which is the Hammerhead, 5 missions, and a new heavy weapon apparently. We'll get Kasumi sometime down the road, and according to that GTTV video some more missions and equipment.

They didnt specify the stuff would be free though. If Kasumi is fleshed out I wouldnt be surprised if she had a price.

pringles

Hmm the Hammerhead looks okay I guess.. not really that interested in even more COMBAT though. After reaching lvl 30 all the side-missions feel so useless because it's basically just shooting stuff, with no real reward in sight. No cool dialogue, no new armor, no new weapons, no weapon upgrades, not even any of the useless collectibles from ME1 (prothean discs, salarian tags etc.).

I get that they wanted to change the loot system, because it was bad in ME1. But they shouldn't have put 80% of the "loot" in stores and 20% in story/loyalty missions. Where's the reward for exploring the galaxy and doing random missions? A few thousand credits (laughable) and XP that you no longer need when you're lvl 30?
Also there needed to be a lot more of every armor part and more weapons. Only two different heavy pistols? Yeah, great sense of progression.

After my first playthrough I felt like ME2 was sooooo much better than ME1. Now that I'm almost done with my 2nd (on insanity) I'm starting to think that they're about even.. both have their definite strenghts and Bioware definitely needs to make ME3 a mix of the good parts from both games.

duckroll

EatChildren said:
They didnt specify the stuff would be free though. If Kasumi is fleshed out I wouldnt be surprised if she had a price.

Depends on what "fleshed out" means. If she's anything like Zaeed then she should be free. If I pay for anything in terms of DLC, I expect a relatively significant string of story missions across multiple worlds (like some of the optional quest chains) which adds or expands on a subplot to the universe.

EatChildren

duckroll said:
Depends on what "fleshed out" means. If she's anything like Zaeed then she should be free. If I pay for anything in terms of DLC, I expect a relatively significant string of story missions across multiple worlds (like some of the optional quest chains) which adds or expands on a subplot to the universe.

True, especially with some (if not all) of her dialogue already in the game.

Subitai

EatChildren said:
They've mentioned that they want to explore
Liara + Shadow Broker
content in an expansion of sorts, but whether or not it sees the light of day remains unknown.
Crosses fingers!

Me personally would like to see some more Krogan content.
Maybe something where you'd help Wrex with uniting the clans with Grunts help, and you'd get that varren to tag along with you again.

Lothars

Sir Garbageman said:
Hammerhead looks solid. As for potential DLC, I'm hoping for a legit expansion ala Dragon Age Origins: Awakenings.

I think that's a given especially since they did it with Dragon Age, I suspect Kasumi will be free as well and probably will be mid april

Peff

I'm kinda hoping they don't make an expansion pack myself, since it's manpower and maybe ideas lost for ME3.
Liara DLC
, on the other hand, should be pretty easy to develop if they follow the storyline which has several places already in the game and others that look similar and could be reskinned. But hey, if we get more Mass Effect in a short time I'm not complaining.

Hammerhead looks nice, hopefully it has some cool rewards other than EXP.

EatChildren

Peff said:
Hammerhead looks nice, hopefully it has some cool rewards other than EXP.

God I hope so, otherwise its so pointless. The reward system is really botched in ME2.

Since the Firewalker pack is apparently going to come with a new heavy weapon I wouldnt be surprised if maybe that was the reward. Collect the parts or something like that. If its just XP I'll pretty damn disappointed in BioWare.

BurritoBushido said:
Also is Hammerhead playable after endgame?

I dont see why not. Everything bar the main story is playable after endgame.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Been playing some more, doing a few assorted loyalty and recruitment missions and planetary sidequests... but aside from the linearity in the missions (I come from the school of large, mazelike RPG dungeons - though I do accept this game as an action game with light RPG elements instead of a pure RPGing experience), my biggest complaint:

I hate being railroaded into doing some missions! Like, the
Collector ship and colony on Horizon
Let me clear out my quest backlog a bit first, please :p I am apparently up to
IFF mission
now, which many say is the "point of no return"... so looks like I'll be doing nothing but loyalty quests and recruitments for now. Want to do all that, and then hold off finishing up the game till the Hammerhead missions come out. I'll have FFXIII to keep me busy till then at least :D

HOLY SHIT. THEYVE INVENTED OMNI TOOLS! KINDA!
We present Skinput, a technology that appropriates the human body for acoustic transmission, allowing the skin to be used as a finger input surface. In particular, we resolve the location of finger taps on the arm and hand by analyzing mechanical vibrations that propagate through the body. We collect these signals using a novel array of sensors worn as an armband. This approach provides an always-available, naturally-portable, and on-body interactive surface. To illustrate the potential of our approach, we developed several proof-of-concept applications on top of our sensing and classification system.
http://www.geekologie.com/2010/03/magic_turning_your_arm_into_a.php

Upon seeing it the first thing I thought of was Omni-tools

Subitai

dankir said:
I figured you would actual meet and possibly fight the shadow broker in the third game.
Yeah, I wish I knew what the deal was so
I'd know whether to hand over the Cerberus info to the shadow broker rep in ME1.

DY_nasty said:
Some of these side missions are really, really lame...

I'd say a good 80% of them are. And the remaining 20% are only pretty good because some nice visuals are involved. It's always straight-up combat, usually in crate-filled warehouses.

Atilac

BurritoBushido said:
I'm calling it right now. The Shadow Broker is a Vorcha. No one would suspect a vorcha!

Also is Hammerhead playable after endgame?
the shadow broker is most certainly an AI

RedRedSuit said:
I'd say a good 80% of them are. And the remaining 20% are only pretty good because some nice visuals are involved. It's always straight-up combat, usually in crate-filled warehouses.

Hey.. those crate-filled warehouses are a huge improvement over the first game's 2 possible areas to explore.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Hey.. those crate-filled warehouses are a huge improvement over the first game's 2 possible areas to explore.
I'd rather have ME1's endless identical warehouses and bunkers that actually had valued items than ME2's few short and linear quests that'd provide you with little to nothing.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DY_nasty said:
I'd rather have ME1's endless identical warehouses and bunkers that actually had valued items than ME2's few short and linear quests that'd provide you with little to nothing.
Even if they did that, there's not much use for items in ME2 ... it's basically designed around getting loot at the end of said corridor mission and finding elements to upgrade your weapons/Normandy 2. :/

hateradio said:
Even if they did that, there's not much use for items in ME2 ... it's basically designed around getting loot at the end and finding elements to upgrade your weapons/Normandy 2. :/

I find it disappointing because I like both systems; with ME1's system you could search out and fit your squad with the best gear and ensure you were damn near unstoppable, but in ME2 the specific character powers and biotics mean that your team are more than meat shields to soak up damage and mixing and matching is actually worth something.

I know by the end game in ME1 outside of Tali (Who was completely redundant because as an infiltrator I could hack everything she could) it didn't matter who I used because their guns were all super powerful.

Cep

Banned
DY_nasty said:

I know how you feel, and I feel similarly, but let us not say crazy shit like this.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DeaconKnowledge said:
I know by the end game in ME1 outside of Tali (Who was completely redundant because as an infiltrator I could hack everything she could) it didn't matter who I used because their guns were all super powerful.
Yeah as long as you had good weapons and armor it was good in ME, I really haven't played much with the combinations in ME2, I always just used Jack and Thane.

Cep said:
I know how you feel, and I feel similarly, but let us not say crazy shit like this.
I hate your avatar because every time I see it, I "hear" Garrus' voice. :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
They could've at least thrown in the occasional armor upgrade for Shep to keep me motivated.

I think many of us would feel better if their more skills for squadmates too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom