• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

witness

Finished up all the firewalker missions, took like an hour. No wonder it was free, bless you bioware for making fantastic games but the dlc is just not good. Time to sell the game, after beating it 4 times and covering all possible angles, I'm done. I have little faith when it comes to any dlc for their games from now on.

Cep

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
ME2 is kinda shit to be honest

Very big difference in having poor design decisions and being a bad game.

ME2 is easily one of the best games I have played, yet some of the decisions that Bioware made with it have me giving my monitor incredulous stares.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
kinoki said:
I have a question about this. The only way to get this is by getting "BioWare Points", correct? And while the cost of the costume pack is 160 "BioWare Points" the smallest amount of "BioWare Points" you can get is 400 which is €3.49. Meaning I'll have 240 unused "BioWare Points" which will never be used, right? Because the next DLC will not be smart enough to cost like 640 "BioWare Points" or something that'll round it out to reduce money spill, right?

Yeah you're stuck with it, until costume pack #2!!!

Peff said:
So Thane's looks different? It seemed to be a reskin too :(

I think there's some slight alterations to his elbows on the suit. Then again, thats not much, and Jack doesnt get much alteration either. Outside of Garrus' new suit they're both pretty shit thanks to the glasses. A bit weak for BioWare to charge for those. If they were completely new model suits for them then it would be more acceptable.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
EatChildren said:
Yeah you're stuck with it, until costume pack #2!!!

Things like this makes me love PlayStation Store even more and Xbox Points even less. Why does it have to be an alternate currency? Give me a price and I'll pay it. Fuck around with points and I'll think twice.

Mr_Zombie

REV 09 said:
I personally think that the game just needed another mission or two at the end where you were using your entire squad.

It needed much more.

The main story was really lackluster. You never discover anything in the game, there's no wow, really?! moments there. Everything you learn about The Collectors you learn from either The Illusive Man or EDI. This is especially bad at the end, where, after you beat waves of enemies, EDI just simply tells you everything she concluded (how? where? why?) about The Collectors and Human Reaper they were building. There's no real story progression there, no flow.

It's sad because Mass Effect 1 ending was so epic and so well build.

And I agree that the team should be used more too. It was kinda stupid that after all this work, all those assignments and loyalty missions, you almost never really used those characters.
Besides technician, biotic and a leader (that's only three characters) everyone else were useless in the final mission.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mr_Zombie said:
It needed much more.

You might want to spoiler bits of your post. This isnt the spoiler thread and it appears some are still playing.

I have to agree with everyone complaining about the game structure. That is, there's too much of it. I'm near the end, and for Mass Effect 3 the 'chore list' has got to go. I miss the way you would (seemingly) randomly receive side missions from the Council in ME1. The pacing in ME2 would've been so much better if you were simply given time to explore blindly until Cerberus contacted you with new intel, or teammates approached you with their personal problems at more unpredictable moments. Just to create a sense of urgency, and less
"Oh, hey, Shep. Got time? Wanna help me kill my daughter, etc.?"

Rubezh

Is it still possible to get codes for the pre-order armors? I tried asking on EA Chat but they were having none of it. :lol

Played the first hammerhead "mission", have no desire to play any others. A sad substitute for the Mako; really drives home Bioware's backward focus on action.

And I love how the game tells me to use Right MB to do the scanning, but the key binding is completely different, and I didn't change it from the default.

Masaki_

EatChildren said:
But that doesnt make it good story telling. Its shit, because there's no consistancy or flow, no mystery, to the overall plot.

It's lazier, but it's not shit. It lacks flow, but that's a common weakness in open-ended WRPGs and ME doesn't suffer so much from it since it's more linear. The structure isn't inherently inconsistent, though. Zaeed is an inconsistency in the story, but the rest of the game is fine.

Except for Shepard and his/her entire fucking team leaving the Normandy to buy groceries while the crew is abducted. Come on, BioWare.

But, as I said, that doesnt make it good story telling. The mystery of the Collectors, and the overarching plot involving the disappearing humans, involves nowhere near as many story missions as does simply recruiting characters.

BioWare probably had to decide between focusing on the main plot or the cast of characters you recruit. It would have taken a much bigger game to tell that story. It would be a better game, but definitely not a game they could've made, I think. Sacrifices had to be made, but the end result is more than just acceptable.

Rubezh

Confidence Man said:
Played the first hammerhead "mission", have no desire to play any others. A sad substitute for the Mako; really drives home Bioware's backward focus on action.

And I love how the game tells me to use Right MB to do the scanning, but the key binding is completely different, and I didn't change it from the default.

That had me confused too. It said left shift for jump and right click for the mineral scanning but when I pressed the keys, left shift did nothing and right click changed the camera. I figured out the buttons myself by randomly pressing keys. It was only in the middle of the first mission I noticed I could rebind them.

OMG Aero

You know what's awesome? The fact that the Hammerhead missions don't have checkpoints and that on Insanity two Geth troopers can destroy in a couple of seconds.

Arjen

I liked the Hammerhead, was pretty fun to drive and i thought the enviroments looked pretty good.
LT for boost was pretty fucked up control wise though, i'm sooo used to have that for aiming it fucked me up a couple of times.

OMG Aero said:
You know what's awesome? The fact that the Hammerhead missions don't have checkpoints and that on Insanity two Geth troopers can destroy in a couple of seconds.

Why the hell would you wanna play this on Insanity :lol

Masaki_

qVz6N.jpg

oh yes, garrus my love, you're perfect now

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hammerhead DLC is up today? Gonna download in a bit...

ChoklitReign said:
Have you seen the Sonic 4 thread? This is what NeoGAF does.

Yeah, tell me about it.

Mrbob said:
Bioware has already confirmed it to be an hour and a half, which means its probably less than that. 7 bucks is a steep price to pay for such little in return. This makes FPS map pack DLC look good by comparison.

They need to start stepping it up their DLC offerings with the Mass Effect series. :/

I can understand the price concern as well, seeing as it's more than Bringing Down The Sky costs, but the doom & gloom posts are nuts, especially when the same people enjoyed the game that this very DLC is for...

Gestahl

Pitch Black Flint said:
I have to agree with everyone complaining about the game structure. That is, there's too much of it. I'm near the end, and for Mass Effect 3 the 'chore list' has got to go. I miss the way you would (seemingly) randomly receive side missions from the Council in ME1. The pacing in ME2 would've been so much better if you were simply given time to explore blindly until Cerberus contacted you with new intel, or teammates approached you with their personal problems at more unpredictable moments. Just to create a sense of urgency, and less
"Oh, hey, Shep. Got time? Wanna help me kill my daughter, etc.?"

That...never happened?? Unless you count Virmire which is actually a main mission and not a side mission? Which is still just one time?

Gestahl said:
That...never happened?? Unless you count Virmire which is actually a main mission and not a side mission? Which is still just one time?

Really? Could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone chiming in every now and then giving side missions usually involving some distress signal on some random research station. Again, I'll have to check when I have the time. Either way, I liked the flow of the first game better. But that could be because I actually enjoyed exploring the planets on the Mako. In ME2, I didn't even know there were side missions available on certain planets that had to be discovered by scanning until very late in the game.

Samara

Pitch Black Flint said:
Really? Could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone chiming in every now and then giving side missions usually involving some distress signal on some random research station.

You are right. Virmire gets the same "The Illusive man wants to speak with you,now!" but you don't have to do it right away.

Ummm, dat Assassin
4458035638_7fc067cf7d_o.jpg
:lol

Pitch Black Flint said:
Really? Could be wrong, but I seem to remember someone chiming in every now and then giving side missions usually involving some distress signal on some random research station. Again, I'll have to check when I have the time. Either way, I liked the flow of the first game better. But that could be because I actually enjoyed exploring the planets on the Mako. In ME2, I didn't even know there were side missions available on certain planets that had to be discovered by scanning until very late in the game.

That was the admiral.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I just finished the Firewalker DLC.

-Combat basically consists of holding down the trigger and jumping around
-The boosting is pretty fun
-Most of the missions were point A->B which was a pretty big letdown
etc etc.

At the end of the day, not bad for free DLC.

Ding

GDJustin said:
Even though I'm only a few hours in, I'm too lazy to re-roll as a Soldier so I'm stuck wit Engineer. Anything I need to know about the class?
I beat the game using an Engineer on whatever the second highest difficulty is. It didn't seem too tough.

I didn't have anything good against shields or barriers. That was my only real weakness. I'd usually drag one of the gals along for that. Switch to machine pistol if you absolutely have to whittle through someone's shield/barrier the old fashioned way.

When offered an extra weapon, I took sniper rifle. I might choose assault rifle if I had it to do over.

I ended up taking Zaeed's special power, the fire grenade, at the beginning. It's actually pretty nice for taking down the armor (and health) of multiple hostiles at once. I eventually changed to Warp Ammo, later in the game.

Use your combat drone early and often. I took it up to level 4, but frankly, it's almost as useful at lower levels. I would usually unleash it on whatever baddie was in the lead at rushing our position, or whoever was pounding us the hardest. It totally stops them and distracts them for a while. Once you boost your Engineer power up, you can pretty much have a drone up constantly. Launch drone, wait 3 seconds, launch offensive power, if the drone has been killed by then, launch a new one.

Incinerate was my main damage doing power.

I always took the "heavy" version of my level 4 powers, instead of the "area effect" version of the same. The heavy versions still have a pretty big radius of effect, and killing powerful things fast is usually more important than damaging lots of things at once.

I didn't put any points into my freeze power, nor my take-control-of-synthetic-critters power. They just didn't seem as useful. The latter is occasionally very useful, so it's nice when you get Tali.

I did a lot of micro-managing during fights. I was in the pause menu, constantly. Picking targets for the team, dispatching the drone, making sure the team stayed in cover, and generally hanging back and scratching my chin.

Right now, I'm doing an Insanity run with an Infiltrator. Doesn't seem too horrible so far. If anyone has any tips on that class, I'd love to hear them.

Oh, what's the deal with teammates dying in the final mission? None of my guys died. Heck none of them seemed to be in any peril. (Well, Tali got a bit toasty in the pipe, but it's clear what you have to do to prevent her from actually dying. I didn't do anything "special", that I could tell. Why did other people suffer casualties? Is it just random?

Samara

Dresden said:
Wait... why does Thane need shades? Doesn't he have film covering his eyes when he needs it?

Forget the shades: why does he have earrings?!?!

Ding it's because some people didn't do the loyalty mission. Or that they sent the wrong person during X assignment. Think sending Jacob to the vents instead of Tali.

As for Infiltrator: I always have Miranda with me. Despite how unlikeable she is, she is a must. Im liking
Morinth
domination.:D
Grunt for places with husks. He saved me so much on that ship

Merguson

Banned
I played the DLC and it's really just like a side quest but unusually longer than regular side quests. It's free so there shouldn't be any complaining.
who am i kidding

The vehicle controls are fine and the only quip I have about vehicle is the targeting system. When I'm facing the rocket drones, I can't aim at a target and fire at it, the missile will slightly shift and hit nothing. I think it's because you have hit one of drones first on both ends, not game breaking or anything though. Also the lack of dialogue is strange considering the mission.

Otherwise, I'm satisfied with the firewalker DLC.

Gestahl

Oh and the main scientist who you're tracking in the Firewalker mission's first name is Manuel. He's been said good night to forever now...:(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Mutanthands said:
This is not the spoiler thread. Idiot.

In his defense, the Firewalker DLC barely has a story. And I personally didn't realize that until he said so.

Lunchbox

Banned
this is what the Mako shouldve been. i can just imagine the boring mako missions on the first game with this awesome thing

but anyways, firewalkers crap. give me on foot missions you sluts

Pankaks said:
In his defense, the Firewalker DLC barely has a story. And I personally didn't realize that until he said so.

Fine, fine. But he better get back in here and and spoiler tag it before someone goes all Turian Counselor on his butt and denies his existence.

:D

Gestahl

Lunchbox said:
this is what the Mako shouldve been. i can just imagine the boring mako missions on the first game with this awesome thing

but anyways, firewalkers crap. give me on foot missions you sluts

It does seem like more of a framework or basic build for something more. There was what, two combat missions? I don't even think the one called GETH INCURSION had any combat at all. What was the deal with that? I probably would've been pissed if this cost money.

Gestahl said:
Namecalling for spoilers about one line in an email from the Firewalker DLC that most people won't even notice? Some people...

It's a spoiler that connects to a character in ME1. Some of us actually read the emails.

At least go back and spoiler tag it so that it doesn't catch anyone else by surprise.

Lunchbox

Banned
Gestahl said:
It does seem like more of a framework or basic build for something more. There was what, two combat missions? I don't even think the one called GETH INCURSION had any combat at all. What was the deal with that? I probably would've been pissed if this cost money.

ME3 with full on vehicle segments like the first game on the fire walker + Collecting minerals like you in the dlc from planets instead of scanning

believe

Gestahl

^^^^^
We can only hope.

Mutanthands said:
It's a spoiler that connects to a character in ME1. Some of us actually read the emails.

At least go back and spoiler tag it so that it doesn't catch anyone else by surprise.

He's called Dr Cayce for everything else, I didn't even realize it till I went back and checked the name in the one email. It's not a spoiler. I'll change it if someone else requests it though, but it's nothing really. Just like the Firewalker DLC in some respects...

A real spoiler would be that your reward for completing the Firewalker DLC is
a Prothean coffee table ornament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom