• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Najaf

I really would like to see a Volus in the squad next time around. These poor guys are shunned by everyone in the galaxy and by the developers as well. I'd also like to see what a female Turian looks like.

Cep

Banned
EatChildren said:
I never implied people should stop posting their disappointment, you dolt, I was asking people to stop assuming that most people feel the same way as them. Acting like everyone preferred the original over ME2 and then stating that it was like that in the spoiler thread just seems to me like they never read it in the first place. As I recall, it was pretty split down the middle; tons of people liked ME1 better, and tons of people preferred ME2.

Agreed.

Though I think we all agreed that the story is shit.

Dresden

My wishlist for ME3:

--more guns
--more armor
--more guns
--no more 'mission complete' screens
--more conversation options
--detach paragon/renegade levels from conversation choice unlocks
--take out scanning
--Bring back every romance option so everyone has a chance to marry/bang/betray/cheat on/kill/let die their love interest.
--WTB LEGION
--more guns
--take out scanning
--Tali
--more armor
--smarter AI
--smarter enemies
--meaningful planetary exploration
--more guns
--visible weapon customization
--Tali
--greater emphasis on storytelling as opposed to character building
--actual armor for your party; no more DATASS suits in space, etc
--Tali
--more guns
--bigger guns
--less human NPCs
--more aliens
--MOAR MORDIN
--some conclusion to the Krogan genophage
--kill Ashley
--more guns
--Tali
--more paint options for armor
--retcon thermal clips OUT of the universe: retcon in an explanation that says weapons WILL overheat after a certain number of shots unless you manually COOL DOWN with a reload animation.
--need more guns
--need more Tali
--need more Mordin
--need more Mordin
--need more armor options
--no PRE ORDER DLC BULLSHIT SPREAD OUT ACROSS SEVERAL RETAILERS

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Cep said:
Agreed.

Though I think we all agreed that the story is shit.

End game spoilers

"It's a reaper! A human reaper."

:lol

Sorry, but not reading previous pages for fear of spoilers, but couldn't help coming into the topic for this bullshit.

Was I the only one tricked into buying those dumb alternate costumes? Everything else was free and it took a couple seconds for the "cost" of them to load up and by that time I had already hit A. Would never have bought these otherwise, I stay far away from shitty DLC like this...

Cep

Banned
Thagomizer said:
The
human reaper-meaning what they were building and why-
made perfect sense.

How it was presented, however, was Narm to the extreme.

Whatever you want to call it, it is poor writing.

Presentation and reasoning and all. At the least, the design for it could have been less 'ugh'

I like how Bioware changed things up between 1 and 2: I think by doing so they managed to make equally valid cases for the superior game. Sorta like no one can agree on which Star Wars movie is the best, both ME1 and ME2 have their strengths and weaknesses.

While ME2 does boast a more technologically advanced engine (and having less bugs than the first), the first does have the "wow" effect and the second has more difficulty (plot-wise) in being more of a "bridge" between the first and third.

DeadFalling said:
Sorry, but not reading previous pages for fear of spoilers, but couldn't help coming into the topic for this bullshit.

Was I the only one tricked into buying those dumb alternate costumes? Everything else was free and it took a couple seconds for the "cost" of them to load up and by that time I had already hit A. Would never have bought these otherwise, I stay far away from shitty DLC like this...

That doesn't seem like a trick as much as it seems like you need to pay the slightest bit of attention to what you're doing. Don't you have to hit A twice to buy it?

Hyunkel6

"Go for the optics, Chitika! Go for the optics!". I laughed so hard when I realize this was a reference to Minsc in BGII :lol . I knew something was off when I heard it for the first few times, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I don't understand the fascination with TV-Tropes. I guess you have to watch TV a lot to really be interested in that stuff.

It's not just TV. It has videogame and movie tropes as well too. It usually goes like "Oh hey that's so true"->click->"haha that's awesome"->click.....

And the next thing you know it's 4 hours later and dark.

Cep

Banned
Pankaks said:
It's not just TV. It has videogame and movie tropes as well too. It usually goes like "Oh hey that's so true"->click->"haha that's awesome"->click.....

And the next thing you know it's 4 hours later and dark.

Goes even beyond that still.

Books, manga and comics are all also covered.

I just adore the site. I cannot tell you how many times I have picked up a game/movie/book because of them.

Lunchbox said:
they started design.....

so fall 11 / early 12?

I'm thinking it would be Fall 2011 keeping in mind that Microsoft will probably announce a new XBOX E3 2012, launch in Fall 2012. By then Natal will also be in the market for 2 years.

NOTE to BIOWARE: Please bring back the old leveling system and make it an actual RPG instead of a shooter with RPG elements, Please?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Lone_Prodigy said:
and having less bugs than the first

I think they're pretty even in that regard. Or atleast when you've played them both as much as me, however I'd say that Mass Effect 1 had the funnier bugs.

Ten-Song

kinoki said:
I think they're pretty even in that regard. Or atleast when you've played them both as much as me, however I'd say that Mass Effect 1 had the funnier bugs.

I don't know about that. Today when playing through on my vanguard, I used the biotic charge move on an enemy, and I hit them so hard they learned how to levitate. They were just frozen in midair shooting at me. None of my squad mates would even shoot at the person either. It was like they were aware of how odd this occurrence was, and they too wanted to stare confusedly at this magical being.

LaneDS

Just finished it a few minutes ago. Might be my favorite single player game so far this generation. Liked it shitloads more than the first, which I thought was great from a story and characters perspective, but pretty broken as far as gameplay is concerned (which I'm sure has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread).

Anyway, super good stuff.

enemies still feel somewhat clunky and 'light' in this game.

Also, I feel the game actually took a step back in terms of the seemlessness of the experience...infact the game feels a little disjointed, everything is so neatly packaged, all the missions, environments etc.

It does do aspects better than the first, especially some of the character missions and the variety in environments. Combat is definitely trickier as well, although I preferred my vanguard in the first to my infiltrator in the second.

The level design is also incredibly linear. This seems to be an issue with all bioware rpgs however. FFXIII gets flack for that, but its the same case here, endless corridors. Lack of story linearity is probably why this doesn't get so much focus, but really, they need some more variation in this respect.

The reviews overscored this one in my opinion, but then that often happens.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What I want in ME3:

-Some quests on planets in the "local cluster" (actually, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the penultimate mission in the game was defending Earth from a Reaper onslaught)
-Travel to the Hanar/Drell homeworld
-Spaceship battles (I'm pretty sure this is confirmed to be in)
-Let's see what Tali looks like behind the mask
-More lesbian romance options (I am playing as a girl :p)
-More organic level design, let's cut back on those crates :p
-And also, I hate to say this.. but no cheesy spinoffs after this game, let the series take a break for a bit. I mean, the series is awesome but sometimes series get cheapened when they're whored out to death.

I remember people thinking the overall concept of ME3 will be trying to band together the different races in one giant onslaught against the Reapers.

Haunted

Yeah so the Firewalker DLC isn't great. :/

I know it was stupid of me to expect some sort of Mako feeling from tacked on free DLC, but it's still disappointing.

Mindlog

ME 3 Wishlist.

-Continue with no inventory clutter
-More differentiated weapons and armor
-Start immediately after ME2
-Weapon configuration similar to armor configuration
-More end of missions bonuses (borrow from HoMM series(kill thorian = +%5 damage resistance vs indoctrinated units))
-Turn mission complete screens into AARs. Make them available from your terminal (immersion purposes.)
-Synth
-Synth
-Faunts
-Synth
-I know it was already worked on, but redouble efforts to make cover more organic. If necessary bring back deployable barrier.
-No romance options, but allow players to rub one out before the final battle. Make this scene as graphic as possible.
-More milling about by the crew on the ship.

Mindlog said:
ME 3 Wishlist.

-Continue with no inventory clutter
-More differentiated weapons and armor
-Start immediately after ME2
-Weapon configuration similar to armor configuration
-More end of missions bonuses (borrow from HoMM series(kill thorian = +%5 damage resistance vs indoctrinated units))
-Turn mission complete screens into AARs. Make them available from your terminal (immersion purposes.)
-Synth
-Synth
-Faunts
-Synth
-I know it was already worked on, but redouble efforts to make cover more organic. If necessary bring back deployable barrier.
-No romance options, but allow players to rub one out before the final battle. Make this scene as graphic as possible.
-More milling about by the crew on the ship.

Fem Shepard only, please.

Haunted said:
Yeah so the Firewalker DLC isn't great. :/

I know it was stupid of me to expect some sort of Mako feeling from tacked on free DLC, but it's still disappointing.

It is crap actually.

All of free DLC content seems whatever was crapped from main game. BioWare didn't put actual effort to develop new content to be released as free DLC as part of Cerberus network. People who purchase this for $12 will be disappointed big time.

LCfiner

Eh, I just finished the Firewalker DLC and thought it was OK. maybe I’m just easy to please. It’s not awesome or anything but it was something different and I’m OK with it.

I’d probably would’ve paid around 3 or 4 bucks for it and not feel disappointed.

I’m still upset at the Kasumi pricing but if it ever drops down to around 5 bucks or less, I’ll pick it up if it’s of similar quality to Zaeed’s DLC. Of course, if it only drops in price waaaay down the line, then I probably won’t bother. /shrug

Played ME2 for about two hours today. First time I've played it in a while. About 2/3 of the way through my second play through. Have two more party members to pick up and a few more loyalty missions to run through. Downloaded the new DLC too.

Oh, firewalker DLC! I forgot :lol

I know what I will be playing tonight...

Pankaks said:
End game spoilers

"It's a reaper! A human reaper."

:lol

At that point I think we all we're just glad that we had, finally after 30h+, a new plot element in the saga....

Dresden said:
My wishlist for ME3:

--more guns
--more armor
--more guns
--no more 'mission complete' screens
--more conversation options
--detach paragon/renegade levels from conversation choice unlocks
--take out scanning
--Bring back every romance option so everyone has a chance to marry/bang/betray/cheat on/kill/let die their love interest.
--WTB LEGION
--more guns
--take out scanning
--Tali
--more armor
--smarter AI
--smarter enemies
--meaningful planetary exploration
--more guns
--visible weapon customization
--Tali
--greater emphasis on storytelling as opposed to character building
--actual armor for your party; no more DATASS suits in space, etc
--Tali
--more guns
--bigger guns
--less human NPCs
--more aliens
--MOAR MORDIN
--some conclusion to the Krogan genophage
--kill Ashley
--more guns
--Tali
--more paint options for armor
--retcon thermal clips OUT of the universe: retcon in an explanation that says weapons WILL overheat after a certain number of shots unless you manually COOL DOWN with a reload animation.
--need more guns
--need more Tali
--need more Mordin
--need more Mordin
--need more armor options
--no PRE ORDER DLC BULLSHIT SPREAD OUT ACROSS SEVERAL RETAILERS

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

heringer

Does the story picks up? There's still 3 characters for me to recruit and I'm already 20 hours in. I feel like the main campaign didn't even start, since all of this time was spent recruiting people. :lol

I don't want this game to end. :(

Finished the first with 20 hours, I hope I can get at least 30 in the first playthrough of Mass Effect 2.

Helmholtz

heringer said:
Does the story picks up? There's still 3 characters for me to recruit and I'm already 20 hours in. I feel like the main campaign didn't even start, since all of this time was spent recruiting people. :lol

I don't want this game to end. :(

Finished the first with 20 hours, I hope I can get at least 30 in the first playthrough of Mass Effect 2.
The majority of the game is recruiting. There are only ~3 main story missions.

heringer

Helmholtz said:
The majority of the game is recruiting. There are only ~3 main story missions.
Oh, that's a bummer. :(

I guess this game really is a bridge to Mass Effect 3.

Well, we can only hope to get trilogy finale by the end of 2011.

Paraclete

Banned
Yea I couldn't help but feel slightly ripped off by the fact that 90% of the game was just gathering party members. Granted, the characters were the only saving grace of the game....still a little annoying to spend so much time and then only have 3 real missions :(

heringer

Yeah, the characters are really great. It's like every single one of them could have their own game.

The characters of the first game were really forgetable. Well, except maybe Wrex. Garrus is awesome, but Mass Effect 2 made him awesome.

clashfan

Paraclete said:
Yea I couldn't help but feel slightly ripped off by the fact that 90% of the game was just gathering party members. Granted, the characters were the only saving grace of the game....still a little annoying to spend so much time and then only have 3 real missions :(

I wish they could have made getting members a little more random. It was just too formulaic.

clashfan said:
I wish they could have made getting members a little more random. It was just too formulaic.

Would have liked Shepard to be a bit more active in thinking about finding people on his/her own. It's either "Hey, Illusive Man told me about this one" or "Hey, you were in my squad before." or "Hey,
It's a great idea to bring this mind controlling sex assassin with me and then have sex wtih it!
". And
Legion
fell into their lap.

Owzers

Since we are wishing for things, apart from ditching mining, i wish they'd make your allies "feel" different on the battlefield. The only one that is a tad different is krogans when they rush enemies, but everyone else just seems so darn interchangeable in combat behavior.

With all the emphasis on squad-gathering in the second one, I wonder how they will factor into the third.
Obviously the option to proceed with none of them has to be there, but what if you had a "perfect" ending? You'll need new squad members to make things different: maybe a choice between two members a la Morinth and Samara?

Also, I kind of agree about making the Paragon/Renegade choices less obvious. I like the blurred morality in Dragon Age where you don't have any measure of where you stand except for your party members' approval (and they can vary among each other too).

On a final note, I went full Paragon yet there were some instances where I got Renegade points (which were always followed by more Paragon points). Is it impossible to be 100% Paragon and 0% Renegade?

Cep

Banned
Ideally, the third game would have only 2 recruit-able party members: Liara and whomever survived Virmire.

The rest of us should not have to suffer because of the idiots that got the entirety of their party killed.

I would also advocate on a trim: Thane, Mordin, Zaeed and Kasumi. Thane and Mordin may be two of the best, but they are also the easiest to remove.

I would also like Jacob and Miranda to bore themselves to death, but I bet they will be back.

Lone_Prodigy said:
With all the emphasis on squad-gathering in the second one, I wonder how they will factor into the third.
Obviously the option to proceed with none of them has to be there, but what if you had a "perfect" ending? You'll need new squad members to make things different: maybe a choice between two members a la Morinth and Samara?

Also, I kind of agree about making the Paragon/Renegade choices less obvious. I like the blurred morality in Dragon Age where you don't have any measure of where you stand except for your party members' approval (and they can vary among each other too).

On a final note, I went full Paragon yet there were some instances where I got Renegade points (which were always followed by more Paragon points). Is it impossible to be 100% Paragon and 0% Renegade?

I think the problem with the Paragon and Renegade system in Mass Effect is that EVERY GODDAMN THING you say has a paragon or renegade value. You're constantly reminded that the game is keeping track of everything you say and assigning an arbitrary +7 (or +15, if it's an interrupt) to it.

Dragon Age let the ticky tack stuff go so you can be sarcastic or douchey in conversations when you really felt like it. The goody two shoes might say something in that instance, but in the grand scheme of things their reactions are reflective of how trivial some of these options really are.

Hasphat6462 said:
I think the problem with the Paragon and Renegade system in Mass Effect is that EVERY GODDAMN THING you say has a paragon or renegade value. You're constantly reminded that the game is keeping track of everything you say and assigning an arbitrary +7 (or +15, if it's an interrupt) to it.

Dragon Age let the ticky tack stuff go so you can be sarcastic or douchey in conversations when you really felt like it. The goody two shoes might say something in that instance, but in the grand scheme of things their reactions are reflective of how trivial some of these options really are.

Dragon Age didn't let you be a douche to your party in conversation though. And the people in your company would often disapprove if you were too nice/dickish to random npcs.

But I guess the game did let you be a douche then give them a shiny trinket and all is forgiven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom