• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
But Bloodlines didnt have near the kind of content for each character and it worked better. And I mean Mordin may be the most interesting and charming character but not every character is like that.

As mentioned, each character in ME2 feels like a bullet-point, I feel that one way to have remedied this issue would have been to have only placed the attention of the writers on a smaller cast to work on.

Though to be quite honest, I think they just did not put much effort into them.

Morrigan, Allister, Zevran and Leliana from DA beat the shit out of just about all the non-Mordin party members (not including banter). Unless these were completely different writers...

Peff

Humanity has reached the stars, joining the vast galactic community of alien species. But beyond the fringes of explored space lurk the Reapers, a race of sentient starships bent on “harvesting” the galaxy’s organic species for their own dark purpose.

The Illusive Man, leader of the pro-human black ops group Cerberus, is one of the few who know the truth about the Reapers. To ensure humanity’s survival, he launches a desperate plan to uncover the enemy’s strengths—and weaknesses—by studying someone implanted with modified Reaper technology. He knows the perfect subject for his horrific experiments: former Cerberus operative Paul Grayson, who wrested his daughter from the cabal’s control with the help of Ascension project director Kahlee Sanders.

But when Kahlee learns that Grayson is missing, she turns to the only person she can trust: Alliance war hero Captain David Anderson. Together they set out to find the secret Cerberus facility where Grayson is being held. But they aren’t the only ones after him. And time is running out.

As the experiments continue, the sinister Reaper technology twists Grayson’s mind. The insidious whispers grow ever stronger in his head, threatening to take over his very identity and unleash the Reapers on an unsuspecting galaxy.

This novel is based on a Mature-rated video game.

Sounds interesting, though Í wonder if the "Reaper technology" thing has anything to do with which one of the endings... also, if the other one is the Shadow Broker, he sure is getting a lot of coverage between the comics, book, and possible DLC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Peff said:
Sounds interesting, though Í wonder if the "Reaper technology" thing has anything to do with which one of the endings... also, if the other one is the Shadow Broker, he sure is getting a lot of coverage between the comics, book, and possible DLC.

The books and comics are written in a way that there is no specified ending or choices made. What do you mean by "other one"?

Peff

EatChildren said:
The books and comics are written in a way that there is no specified ending or choices made. What do you mean by "other one"?

Yeah, I suppose it'll be some random Reaper thing they had lying around from the Sovereign. I meant that it says Kahlee and Anderson aren't the only ones after Cerberus and Grayson, and the Shadow Broker could be interested in that, but it's just a guess at this point.

Dresden said:
You should only need 2 for the whole level--just restart and try again. You can usually do it without using any, but that section where you fight the two Scions and a bunch of husks at once usually guarantees party death for me while I run like hell around the outside edges of the map.
I'm going to assume you're much better than me. :p

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
They are. The main Dragon Age writers have nothing to do with Mass Effect. Gaider wrote Alistair, Morrigan, Zevran and Shale. Sheryl Chee wrote Leliana.

I figured as much.

The Dragon Age characters are pretty damn impressive, especially compared to Mass Effect 2

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Peff said:
Yeah, I suppose it'll be some random Reaper thing they had lying around from the Sovereign. I meant that it says Kahlee and Anderson aren't the only ones after Cerberus and Grayson, and the Shadow Broker could be interested in that, but it's just a guess at this point.

Yeah, I figure TIM got ahold of some Sovereign remains, which makes sense. And yeah, I wouldnt be surprised if The Shadow Broker was played up in the next novel. He/she/it has been mostly underplayed for both games, and will probably make a bigger impact in the third.

There will definitely be hints as to ME3's themes in the next book though, much like there were in the previous books.

Dan Yo

Banned
Cep said:
I figured as much.

The Dragon Age characters are pretty damn impressive, especially compared to Mass Effect 2
Did they do Jade Empire characters as well? Because I'm playing through that one and finding them much deeper with having much more to say.

I felt like had a couple of conversations with most of the characters in Mass Effect 2 and they were just done.

Dresden

Dan Yo said:
Did they do Jade Empire characters as well? Because I'm playing through that one and finding them much deeper with having much more to say.

I felt like had a couple of conversations with most of the characters in Mass Effect 2 and they were just done.
"I don't have the time for this, Shepard. I have to get a couple of random things done, by which I mean I'll stand around doing absolutely nothing in front of this console."

I am getting close to the end of the game and have everyone loyal to me except Zaeed. Anyway, I did Zaeed's mission only a few hours into the game, and I ended
up saving the people then Vido ended up escaping. Did I screw something up? Did I miss out on getting him loyal?

Big Papa Husker said:
I am getting close to the end of the game and have everyone loyal to me except Zaeed. Anyway, I did Zaeed's mission only a few hours into the game, and I ended
up saving the people then Vido ended up escaping. Did I screw something up? Did I miss out on getting him loyal?

Doing it the way you did requires higher level of paragon/renegade persuasion than you likely had early in the game.

Dresden said:
It's not the writing itself that's the problem with ME2, it's just how cookie cutter their introductions and developments are. It doesn't feel fluid or 'real' because just about every bit of character development comes from conversations in the ship, where you ask simplistic questions about their (presumably tragic) past. So you get set into a rhythm of do mission-recruit-do mission-talk-do mission-talk-do loyalty mission-talk-social link maxed!

Even Dragon Age handles this better thanks to on-field banter.

The key there is that the companions in DA:O were much more aware of what you were doing. For example,
the spirit that guarded the Sacred Ashes commented on you and your companions when you confronted him.
It's such a small sequence, but it leaves a lasting impression that these characters are there with you every step of the way.

I wish Mass Effect had this sort of attention to detail.

Big Papa Husker said:
So I am assuming I'm screwed unless I do another playthough?

Yeah, can't get his loyalty.

Think it's possible he could end up surviving the suicide mission though if you make the right choices and get lucky.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Big Papa Husker said:
So I am doing the loyalty mission for
Legion. What should I choose, to rewrite or to kill the Heretics?
What did you guys do?
No effect in ME2. The choice you make will probably reflect in ME3.

I just beat the game... The ending was... wow ;) Anyway,
everyone in my main party survived, though half my crew was killed because I must have waited to go into the relay. I think I accidentally waited because I was spamming the X button to speed up the dialog. Oops... Now I'm just hoping to find a save that right before or after the Collectors kidnap the crew.

Najaf

Darkmakaimura said:
No effect in ME2. The choice you make will probably reflect in ME3.

Can' wait to see what effect that has on ME3. I have completed game saves with both choices.
First time through, I fried them all. Hell, the scripture that Legion is named after implies that they are all demons. (or inherently all evil) Mark 5:9

Dresden said:
The melee attack is godlike, man. It's especially great for Vanguards in Insanity, because the amount of damage you can pour in with two or three elbow-jabs is insane. Charge-Claymore-elbow usually kills anything. Hell, with Inferno ammo a charge+Claymore shot will kill them anyways most of the time. Before the Claymore, though, elbowing things to death is efficient and immensely satisfying.

Really? I just started my 2nd playthrough and put it on Insanity as a Vanguard. I made it through Mordin's recruitment mission fairly easily using pretty much pistols only but I'm having a much harder time for
Garrus'
. In particular the
last waves before the gun ship.

There's just way too many people with shields to kill in time with just a pistol. I never use my Claymore because I didn't think I could ever get in close enough without getting flanked. Definitely going to have to try that combo out tonight though.

Dresden

ILOVEASIANS said:
Really? I just started my 2nd playthrough and put it on Insanity as a Vanguard. I made it through Mordin's recruitment mission fairly easily using pretty much pistols only but I'm having a much harder time for
Garrus'
. In particular the
last waves before the gun ship.

There's just way too many people with shields to kill in time with just a pistol. I never use my Claymore because I didn't think I could ever get in close enough without getting flanked. Definitely going to have to try that combo out tonight though.
You should try to use your shotgun as much as you can, man. If the Claymore isn't working out for you, try the Eviscerator.

I'm going to assume it's a new game plus--in that case, you're not likely to kill things in one shot, since you'll be lacking important upgrades. Even so, one point-blank shot following a charge should destroy their shields, in which case you can usually get in one or two melee attacks followed by either another shot from the shotgun, or another Charge to refresh your shield. I hope you have Heavy Charge, and maxed out Champion.

Dresden

Cep said:
NG+ on Insanity sounds like it may actually be a challenge, might try it out.
I tried it on my level 30 Engineer, before I stopped playing the game. It feels largely the same, tbh, and even easier for an Engineer because having things like Incinerate and Combat Drone maxed from the start makes life much easier.

I'd imagine that playing a soldier or infiltrator might be more difficult, simply because they're so reliant on their weapons.

Dresden said:
You should try to use your shotgun as much as you can, man. If the Claymore isn't working out for you, try the Eviscerator.

I'm going to assume it's a new game plus--in that case, you're not likely to kill things in one shot, since you'll be lacking important upgrades. Even so, one point-blank shot following a charge should destroy their shields, in which case you can usually get in one or two melee attacks followed by either another shot from the shotgun, or another Charge to refresh your shield. I hope you have Heavy Charge, and maxed out Champion.

Yeah, it's a new game plus. I do have Heavy Charge and Champ. I just never thought melee would actually be viable on Insanity. Going to get back on now and try out your tips.

Thanks for the help man.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
I tried it on my level 30 Engineer, before I stopped playing the game. It feels largely the same, tbh, and even easier for an Engineer because having things like Incinerate and Combat Drone maxed from the start makes life much easier.

I'd imagine that playing a soldier or infiltrator might be more difficult, simply because they're so reliant on their weapons.

Oh, sounds like it is more frustrating than difficult.

Never mind then, I have better things to do with my time.

Acidote

I'm having a hard time doing the game in NG+ Insanity with my soldier. And that's in the beggining. Archangel (although some parts here were incredibly easy with the soldier)
Like shutting the doors in the second to last wave using Adrenaline Rush :lol
, Mordin, etc.

Najaf

Acidote said:
I'm having a hard time doing the game in NG+ Insanity with my soldier. And that's in the beggining. Archangel (although some parts here were incredibly easy with the soldier)
Like shutting the doors in the second to last wave using Adrenaline Rush :lol
, Mordin, etc.

NG+ on insanity is infinitely harder at the beginning than starting a new game. If you are a lvl 30 going in, you are fighting lvl 30 guys on insanity. That is some tough stuff. I began my first attempt on insanity with my lvl 30 and got decimated on some of the early missions. Starting up a new character made it much easier.

Arjen

I beat Insanity on NG+ with a Sentinel, it's not that bad.
Horizon was a pain in the ass though.
You do start with all your weapons, which was big plus for me.

Najaf

Playing through ME:2 on insanity with an Infiltrator was one of the toughest things I have done in a game. A majority of the game was a breeze, but when you get stuck; you get stuck. And, as most difficult things tend to be, it turned out to be one of the most satisfying feelings when I bested it.

Acidote

The fights with Krogans or even Vorcha without mates helping you destroy their armor/shields and stopping their life regen is a pain in the ass with a soldier.

After 45 minutes of fighting the Collectors at the end of Horizon I managed to do it. :D I really didn't want to restart the mission so I just figured out a strategy to do it with both my party members dead.... plus I had a lot of luck. :lol

Switched it off as soon as I hit the checkpoint. I don't have that boss fight in me at the moment.

You have got to be kidding me with this shit. I am LTTP, with zero spoilers. So I had no idea this was coming.

I get to the mission where you get to advance weapon train and I'm like "oh look I get to pick up a shotgun...YES!"

Little did I know I can never fuckin' put the shotgun down, ever again!! Are they serious with this? What am I missing?

Anerythristic said:
You have got to be kidding me with this shit. I am LTTP, with zero spoilers. So I had no idea this was coming.

I get to the mission where you get to advance weapon train and I'm like "oh look I get to pick up a shotgun...YES!"

Little did I know I can never fuckin' put the shotgun down, ever again!! Are they serious with this? What am I missing?

Umm... Left bumper (On 360) is Weapon swap, I'm not sure what class your playing, but you should still have all the other weapons you had before in there.

Inferno313 said:
Umm... Left bumper (On 360) is Weapon swap, I'm not sure what class your playing, but you should still have all the other weapons you had before in there.

Yeah, no, unless I am missing something I lost use of my original weapon (submachine gun), it's no longer selectable. In the loadout screen it is grey'd out.

thorin

Anerythristic said:
Yeah, no, unless I am missing something I lost use of my original weapon (submachine gun), it's no longer selectable. In the loadout screen it is grey'd out.
Hold down LB to bring up the weapon wheel and try selecting another weapon. The SMG is probably grey'd out because you only have one.

Shred0r

Banned
j0jj20.jpg

Just wanna let you know that i like the looks of my character...

Gestahl

HadesGigas said:
Yeah, can't get his loyalty.

Think it's possible he could end up surviving the suicide mission though if you make the right choices and get lucky.

This reminds me of a post I read on another board. Spoilered for the endgame.

ZAEED IS YOUR GOD!

Seriously. Let me explain.

I botched Zaeed's loyalty mission before going into the Collector base, so he hated my guts. I had everyone recruited, but only four loyalties: Jack, Thane, Jacob, and Mordin. Jack and Thane died on the way in, along with Tali. Since I'd given Legion to Cerberus for the big Benjamins, I had to send Garrus into the pipes and put Samara on the fire team.

Garrus ate his second missile of the game, but this one didn't agree with him so much. I sent Mordin back with the remaining half of my crew and he got them through safely, but that left me with a dwindling team: I had Grunt lead Miranda as a distraction and put Jacob on the Barrier with Zaeed and Samara at my side. Samara got nabbed by bees (which was a surprisingly scary end, I think), and Grunt took all the bullets with (un)expected results.

This meant that when it came time for Shepard's big speech, she was standing on a platform with Miranda and Jacob by her side preaching to a crowd of one:

Guddamn Zaeed.

He stood there, hate burning in his eyes as I told him it was up to him to stop the collector assault at our rear flank, and then he was gone, one man against an army.

AND HE FUCKING SURVIVED!

By himself, no support, no loyalty, Zaeed held the line.

Miranda died in the fall, so Jacob had to pull me into the ship, but he's not the hero here. No. That honor goes to the living personification of hate: Zaeed "Guddamn" Massani!

I don't even care if the story's legit or not, just imagining that cracks me up.

derFeef

I just finished it, finally. It was really awesome and
everyone survived
. I am still too close to think about everything, but here are some quick thoughts.

• Final mission was great and the
    Human Reaper freaked me out
    , everything else still feels less "epic" than ME1.
  • Characters are outstanding, but some feel a bit flat.
  • After finishing it I wanted more, main story feels not finished, there is no impact
  • Sometimes it´s just a shooting gallery, like that
    IFF, Reaper mission
  • Visuals are outstanding, sense of scope is phenomenal sometimes.
  • Tali is still the best :D

EatChildren

VaLiancY said:
Starting a new class, Female Infiltrator. Any tips people about Infiltrators. It will be a good change of pace from my Manguard.

Widow rifle + maxed cloak = domination. The Infiltrator is one of the best classes in the game by a mile.

VaLiancY

EatChildren said:
Widow rifle + maxed cloak = domination. The Infiltrator is one of the best classes in the game by a mile.

Yes, that was a good run. Widow is very effective. I will do an Insanity run after my Vanguard Insanity run.

Finished an Engineer playthrough, combat drone was my best friend. :lol Husks just loved that thing to death. Probably the most "fun" non biotic class.

Lunchbox said:
hai guyz

i heard mass effect 3 is published by sony from this leaked e3 thing on the halo thread

2sbvrpw.jpg

Ninja Solid, battletoads, james bond game for XBLA (OH! guys is Perfect Dark!!),KI3, Project Xfree?

lol, that's an awful try. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom