• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samara said:
BUT THE PRIZE :lol :lol :lol

Why did they make him so bland, I don't know. I'm guessing Miranda is no better

"Bla bla I'm perfect"

Every party needs a "straight man" character.

I.E. the relatively normal guy.

Though there are a few of these characters done right(or atleast entertainingly; usually by making them act snarky about how insane everyone else is).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Samara said:
You're joking right? I mean--wait a minute---You liked Legion over Thane?!?

Legion is more interesting than Thane by a good clean country mile.

Zen

Banned
Lime said:
The Mako missions were severely more interesting than the Firewalker missions.

Well that pretty much sealled my decision not to bother with the Firewalker DLC. I know that the community is somewhat split on ME2, but I for one found its aims to be off base compared to what I enjoyed from the first game.

It really just feels like busy work to fill time until the very binary ME3 rolls around. ME2 was really overt in being 'make the factions strong to fight the Reapers'.

Gravijah

Just finished the game. Wow. ME1 was one of my favorite games of all time, and I felt ME2 was a very worthy sequel. So much more content and things to do, and I didn't mind it removing some of the RPGness. Gonna wait on the inevitable GOTY edition before I snack on the DLC.

vocab

sillymonkey321 said:
I gave the Firewalker missions a try, it's free content afterall. It was too boring to get past the second mission :(

Boring or not, those missions take less than 5 mins to complete. Worth it for the exp, and the little item you get at the end.

Gravijah said:
Just finished the game. Wow. ME1 was one of my favorite games of all time, and I felt ME2 was a very worthy sequel. So much more content and things to do, and I didn't mind it removing some of the RPGness. Gonna wait on the inevitable GOTY edition before I snack on the DLC.

Why bother with a GOTY when the majority of it is free. Kasumi is meh, and well who gives a damn about Sunglasses DLC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cep said:
No doubt.

But Thane is definitely better written.

I dont really consider the writing for either character better or worse than the other. Both are good. In terms of universe law, Legion has so much more to offer, and does offer. Its such a shame he comes in so late.

This is a fact by the way. I used science to come to this conclusion.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
This is a fact by the way. I used science to come to this conclusion.

I approve of this science.
I loved Legion when he said "data not found" when you asked why he was wearing your armor.

bucklam66 said:
Just finally got around to starting this, is it worth getting the story related DLC at the beginning or wait?

If you're going to buy Kasumi, it's better to buy it earlier I guess. Since it's a recruit mission which is pretty pointless to do once you've beaten the game, from a storyline standpoint. Also you'd have more opportunity to use her if you still have missions to do.

Lime said:
The Mako missions were severely more interesting than the Firewalker missions.

Oh God, no....Mako missions were just a lineal path and destroying everything in your way, at least the Hammerhead missions, contained some bits of exploration and plataforming, and it didn't controlled like shit.

Yeah, combat with the hammerhead feels dull and unappealing, but it's definetly a good base to bring back some vehicle missions in ME3.

Subitai

Gravijah said:

Sweet did everyone live for you on the 1st try?

VaLiancY

MMKirby said:
So did anyone else laugh when Thane dies by a rocket to the face. I was loling hard. I hated that guy anyway. My Legion died as well, now that was sad.

:(
Thane and Mordin died on my first playthrough.

Question: I picked Warp Ammo as my bonus talent for my 2nd playthrough. When I do Advance Training can I replace it? I want Area Reave instead for MAXIMUM warp explosions.

VaLiancY said:
:(
Thane and Mordin died on my first playthrough.

Question: I picked Warp Ammo as my bonus talent for my 2nd playthrough. When I do Advance Training can I replace it? I want Area Reave instead for MAXIMUM warp explosions.

Yes

Owzers

vocab said:
Boring or not, those missions take less than 5 mins to complete. Worth it for the exp, and the little item you get at the end.

Why bother with a GOTY when the majority of it is free. Kasumi is meh, and well who gives a damn about Sunglasses DLC.

It's like playing games for achievement points :p, something I don't do.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm looking forward to playing the Kasumi mission, it sounds decent, but good god the Firewalker DLC is not fun so far. I shouldn't complain since it's free but I do not play Mass Effect for retarded vehicle battles, I want some story based missions not this shit. I've only done the intro mission and the collect Geth data one so hopefully it gets better.

I've been doing a Mass Effect 1 speed run so I can play 2 again with a new character who made all the opposite decisions. I tried making a new guy just for 2 but it's not the same when you're playing with the preset decisions. I'm on Illios after 6 hours, you can really blow through it if you know where to go.

EatChildren

Snuggler said:
I've been doing a Mass Effect 1 speed run so I can play 2 again with a new character who made all the opposite decisions. I tried making a new guy just for 2 but it's not the same when you're playing with the preset decisions. I'm on Illios after 6 hours, you can really blow through it if you know where to go.

Yeah, ME1 has a much shorter main quest. Its really only Eden Prime->Citadel->Therum->Feros->Noveria->Virmire->Ilos->Citadel ~FIN.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I should be done with it by the end of the weekend. I'm not really enjoying that much by rushing through it, but as much as I love ME1 I've played it to death and it's kind of dull at this point. I might do the Bringing Down the Sky dlc, even though it's only briefly mentioned in 2. Maybe it'll have some consequences in the 3rd but I doubt it. I can't think of any other important side quests to import. There was the Cerebus missions but those only led to a single dialogue option in 2 as far as I remember.

Oh yeah, I did do one thing is this playthrough that I've never done before. I saved Carth.

Najaf

derFeef said:
I may be the only one who really diggs Zaeed. I know there is not much interaction, but I just love his comments. Tali and Zaeed, yep.

Zaeed is a great character. I enjoyed having him along on several missions. Too bad his unique ability was not as useful as others who had squad boosting powers.

Subitai

Najaf said:
Zaeed is a great character. I enjoyed having him along on several missions. Too bad his unique ability was not as useful as others who had squad boosting powers.
Up to 50% bonus damage w/ a assault rifle makes up for it in my book.

Dresden

I liked Zaeed. He didn't talk much aboard the ship, but he had a line for damn near every situation through the game. Then you factor in how useful he is, especially if you have the Incisor sniper rifle.

Whilst playing through on Insanity is extremely frustrating at times, it's really making me appreciate the combat system a lot. It relies on the use of biotic and tech powers a lot more than the first game did on the hardest difficulty, I feel, and it becomes extremely tactical. The only time the game stumbles is when I'm backed in to a corner and have to resort to CQC - the melee attack is pretty laughable and I die almost every time. For this reason I try and put as much space as possible between myself and the enemies.

I can't wait to finish it and try the new DLC. I don't want to do that first time on Insanity because that would take away from the experience, I think. I don't want to restart a fight four times when I just want to progress to see how the story goes.

Been talking to a friend about ME2 and I'm almost tempted to play through again...I don't really have a ton of time to sink into it right now. Or I don't feel like sinking that much time into it at least. Maybe I'll play through again before ME3 and try to get the perfect ending where all members survive. I almost had it this time but chose a wrong dialog option:lol Or maybe one day I'll just be tempted to buy the Kasumi DLC. Or whatever other DLC comes our way.

soldat7 said:
Aside from Mordin, none of the characters are very interesting.

Legion is interesting as Mordin IMO, actually the Geth got 100x more interesting after ME2 and right now is my favorite race along the rachni,the problem with Legion is that it comes a bit late and it isn't as developed as Mordin who got a lot of dialogue compared to other characters...

VaLiancY said:
Another question.
When you get to the Collector's Ship for the first time, do they still give you an option for Advance Weapon training? I want to try out the Claymore.

I'm late :lol , but the truth is I don't know since my 2 playthroughs were with diferent imported characters...

EatChildren

Relaxed Muscle said:
Legion is interesting as Mordin IMO, actually the Geth got 100x more interesting after ME2 and right now is my favorite race along the rachni,the problem with Legion is that it comes a bit late and it isn't as developed as Mordin who got a lot of dialogue compared to other characters...

And for a BioWare game, Legion offers the most philosophically interesting topics across both games. He should have been picked up much, much earlier.

But thats just one more problem on the laundry list of narrative/pacing/structure issues ME2 has.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I totally disagree with the characters being uninteresting. For a videogame, they were up there with the best for me.
Thane, Mordin, Samara, Grunt, Legion, Tali & Garrus...I loved em. They had some depth to their personalities and they had really good voice acting and design.
Jacob and Miranda were decent but kind of dull, like the human characters always are and Jack was silly but the rest were solid in my opinion.

EatChildren

Snuggler said:
I totally disagree with the characters being uninteresting. For a videogame, they were up there with the best for me.
Thane, Mordin, Samara, Grunt, Legion, Tali & Garrus...I loved em. They had some depth to their personalities and they had really good voice acting and design.
Jacob and Miranda were decent but kind of dull, like the human characters always are and Jack was silly but the rest were solid in my opinion.

I agree. Though I think Jacob and Miranda should have been merged together, and Legion should have been picked up during the first party collectathon.

Dresden

Foliorum Viridum said:
Whilst playing through on Insanity is extremely frustrating at times, it's really making me appreciate the combat system a lot. It relies on the use of biotic and tech powers a lot more than the first game did on the hardest difficulty, I feel, and it becomes extremely tactical. The only time the game stumbles is when I'm backed in to a corner and have to resort to CQC - the melee attack is pretty laughable and I die almost every time. For this reason I try and put as much space as possible between myself and the enemies.

I can't wait to finish it and try the new DLC. I don't want to do that first time on Insanity because that would take away from the experience, I think. I don't want to restart a fight four times when I just want to progress to see how the story goes.
The melee attack is godlike, man. It's especially great for Vanguards in Insanity, because the amount of damage you can pour in with two or three elbow-jabs is insane. Charge-Claymore-elbow usually kills anything. Hell, with Inferno ammo a charge+Claymore shot will kill them anyways most of the time. Before the Claymore, though, elbowing things to death is efficient and immensely satisfying.

EatChildren

BumRush said:
About 5 hours in and WOW, this game is AMAZING! Does it only get better?

If you've enjoyed the first 5 hours you will enjoy the rest of the game just as much if not more. Have fun dude!

EatChildren said:
And for a BioWare game, Legion offers the most philosophically interesting topics across both games. He should have been picked up much, much earlier.

But thats just one more problem on the laundry list of narrative/pacing/structure issues ME2 has.

I loved how the first record Geth have stored is about the first Quarian getting scared when they were asking about if they had soul....so awesome...

Yeah, character development was better than in ME1, that's for sure, but the best ones were Legion and Mordin IMO, because they are pretty unique and both have some nice discussions about morality, culture, etc...

And Grunt is possible the worst character along Jacob, there were a couple of times he showed some light of being interesting, but quickly became your typical dull, violent and boring Krogan, and that after having a more muture and wise without neglecting his own nature like Wrex, was absolutly dissapointing, they mixed the order, they should have gave us the stupid violent Krogan and then give us a more mature one.

EatChildren

Relaxed Muscle said:
And Grunt is possible the worst character along Jacob, there were a couple of times he showed some light of being interesting, but quickly became your typical dull, violent and boring Krogan, and that after having a more muture and wise without neglecting his own nature like Wrex, was absolutly dissapointing, they mixed the order, they should have gave us the stupid violent Krogan and then give us a more mature one.

I definitely agree. One of the things I think a lot of people loved about Wrex was despite the whole "KROGAN SMAAASH" thing he seemed much more switched on. Not hiding from who he is, but understanding who he is and growing appropriately. His commentary on Krogan culture and his history always seemed level headed and informative.

Grunt, on the other hand, is KROGAN SMAAASH and nothing more. He has nothing of interest or value to add to any conversation. I can kinda see why BioWare went that way, as much like Jacob he's more of a simple, neurtral character, but as a whole it makes him far less interesting. Especially coming from Wrex.

Fuck the end of Horizon on Insanity. Fuck it with a rusty blade.

My save is at a point where I have no medi-gels, thus meaning that Mordin and Miranda get wiped out within a minute, and leave me huddled up behind cover slowly taking out people. This is okay until I have to go for ammo, which is where I get in to trouble, and ARGH. I just spent about 15 minutes trying it again, being ever so careful, only to get to the next wave which spawned in really close to me and killed me before I had a chance. :(

I'd pay for some medi-gel at the moment because I'm fearing I may have to go back and try and do the rest of the level whilst conserving it just for this section. I can't even remember how far away from their onslaight I am due to not doing this bit since the week of release!

derFeef

EatChildren said:
I definitely agree. One of the things I think a lot of people loved about Wrex was despite the whole "KROGAN SMAAASH" thing he seemed much more switched on. Not hiding from who he is, but understanding who he is and growing appropriately. His commentary on Krogan culture and his history always seemed level headed and informative.

Grunt, on the other hand, is KROGAN SMAAASH and nothing more. He has nothing of interest or value to add to any conversation. I can kinda see why BioWare went that way, as much like Jacob he's more of a simple, neurtral character, but as a whole it makes him far less interesting. Especially coming from Wrex.
Having Wrek with me all of the time in ME1 I was very disappointed by Grunt. The whole "let me destroy things" did get boring in the first few chats and I never touched him again. I understand that he grew in that tank and all and he knows nothing, but at least on his home planet he should have learned a bit more. On the other hand, it was a killing stuff lesson again.

VaLiancY

I like Grunt. If he was Wrex 2.0, it wouldn't feel right. I'd get the been there and done that feeling. I enjoy that he's belligerent, he's like a rabid dog on a lesh and you really see that in combat when he goes berserk(and tries to fight a YMIR mech on Insanity:lol ) He is in a sense the ideal, stereotypical Krogan, just nothing but violence in him. To each their own of course, I find the Krogan the most interesting species in the ME universe.

When you're doing Mordin's loyalty missions and the dialogue about if the genophage was right. You look at Grunt and go "Maybe it was good limiting their numbers" but with the Rachni War you see it's nice to have a species like that around.

Cep

Banned
EatChildren said:

I think that removing all aggression from Grunt would have been the best course. I mean, I really wanted him to be a calm lost soul occasionally overcome by his baser instincts.

Would have made journeying into his memories part of his sidequest and molding him into the individual that renegade/paragon wanted him to be.

Would really have been nice.

But what we got...

He goes with Miranda and Jacob as one of the worst in the party.

Dresden

Foliorum Viridum said:
Fuck the end of Horizon on Insanity. Fuck it with a rusty blade.

My save is at a point where I have no medi-gels, thus meaning that Mordin and Miranda get wiped out within a minute, and leave me huddled up behind cover slowly taking out people. This is okay until I have to go for ammo, which is where I get in to trouble, and ARGH. I just spent about 15 minutes trying it again, being ever so careful, only to get to the next wave which spawned in really close to me and killed me before I had a chance. :(

I'd pay for some medi-gel at the moment because I'm fearing I may have to go back and try and do the rest of the level whilst conserving it just for this section. I can't even remember how far away from their onslaight I am due to not doing this bit since the week of release!
You should only need 2 for the whole level--just restart and try again. You can usually do it without using any, but that section where you fight the two Scions and a bunch of husks at once usually guarantees party death for me while I run like hell around the outside edges of the map.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Snuggler said:

They need better conversation writing. I'm replaying Bloodlines right now, which has the sort of writing a ME would want (not really the game for say Planescape type philosophical and ornate discussions) and it just is so much better while also retaining a lot of the color you wouldnt get IRL conversations. And seriously, there are no extended dialogue trees with the Bloodlines characters but they are so much better and well rounded than the MEs. I mean Bioware is average in writing, which means its good by game standards, but I'd love for it to improve. Make the character less bullet point, like everyone felt in 2. It was a giant collectathon with no real rhyme to the party.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
They need better conversation writing. I'm replaying Bloodlines right now, which has the sort of writing a ME would want (not really the game for say Planescape type philosophical and ornate discussions) and it just is so much better while also retaining a lot of the color you wouldnt get IRL conversations. And seriously, there are no extended dialogue trees with the Bloodlines characters but they are so much better and well rounded than the MEs. I mean Bioware is average in writing, which means its good by game standards, but I'd love for it to improve. Make the character less bullet point, like everyone felt in 2. It was a giant collectathon with no real rhyme to the party.

They should have saved half the party for ME3, as they clearly cannot handle a large cast.

Every party member should have had as much content as Mordin, maybe even more.

Rubezh

Thane died on my first playthrough as well. I didn't have improved shielding so he ended up with a metal thing through his chest.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cep said:
They should have saved half the party for ME3, as they clearly cannot handle a large cast.

Every party member should have had as much content as Mordin, maybe even more.

But Bloodlines didnt have near the kind of content for each character and it worked better. And I mean Mordin may be the most interesting and charming character but not every character is like that.

Dresden

HK-47 said:
But Bloodlines didnt have near the kind of content for each character and it worked better. And I mean Mordin may be the most interesting and charming character but not every character is like that.
It's not the writing itself that's the problem with ME2, it's just how cookie cutter their introductions and developments are. It doesn't feel fluid or 'real' because just about every bit of character development comes from conversations in the ship, where you ask simplistic questions about their (presumably tragic) past. So you get set into a rhythm of do mission-recruit-do mission-talk-do mission-talk-do loyalty mission-talk-social link maxed!

Even Dragon Age handles this better thanks to on-field banter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom