• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkwell

Banned
Finished this a little while ago and enjoyed it. I don't know if this has been brought up already, but the game felt like a gameplay testing ground. This is especially true for the firewalker dlc. I liked that there were a small variety of missions besides combat. Some examples are the puzzle based missions, and that one crashed ship teetering off a mountain (all of which i quite enjoyed). Then they add the firewalker stuff to test a new kind of vehicle. Now I'm hearing they are expanding on this with that new dlc that includes an explorable planet like the first game. I have a feeling they are using this game to test out some of the changes they want to make for the third game.

Patryn

nourali2 said:
The reason I picked up Mass Effect 1 and feverishly played it a month ago is because I watched my brother play Mass Effect 2 and I saw
an epic conversation between his Shepard and a friendly geth. The geth was talking in good terms to Shepard about the intelligence and collective AI of his people. The conversation was just so amazing that I decided I couldn't deny myself the Mass Effect experience any longer

Anyhow, it just dawned on me that this guy is probably a teammate I have to recruit. Sadness and excitedness at the same time; I can't wait to play with him, but it would have been a nice mindfuck to stumble across him by surprise.

In my Mass Effect 1 playthrough I did everything you could possibly do with an infiltrator; I got sniper, pistol, overload achievements, etc... got all paragon, played the good-guy playthrough,
saved Ashley, saved Wrex, let Alenko die, inadvertently led Saren to kill himself, let the Rachni queen live, saved the Council, and recommended Anderson to the Council
. I got to level 50 in preparation for an import... It was all really fun. I'm just so surprised at how much better the experience is in Mass Effect 2. There is so much polish, from the way the doors open to the logistical fixes (no dealing with hundreds of equipments or omnigel anymore).

Oh, the gameplay in ME2 is exquisite. It's a shame the story decided to take a sudden nosedive into non-existence.

That's most of the reason that ME2 is by far the most disappointing game I have ever played.

Well, shit
I just found out that the crew is going to die because I didn't go through the relay immediately. I've done a mission or two since then. At this point, Would it make any difference if I went through the relay now rather than later?

I was also wondering if I am able to re-spec with all of my skill points in a New Game+. I ask this because I Auto Leveled Up at one point and it selected level 4 of a skill. It did not occur to me at the time but it did not give me the choice to select one of the 2 branches of the skill at the end. I was wondering if this was because I didn't manually level my character in this instance.

Montresor

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I was also wondering if I am able to re-spec with all of my skill points in a New Game+. I ask this because I Auto Leveled Up at one point and it selected level 4 of a skill. It did not occur to me at the time but it did not give me the choice to select one of the 2 branches of the skill at the end. I was wondering if this was because I didn't manually level my character in this instance.

You can re-train at the research terminal can't you? I think it costs 2500 element zero.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what 10% negoation bonus does? My death mask gives me 10% negotiation bonus but it's reallly ugly, I want to change back to my other head gear.

nourali2 said:
You can re-train at the research terminal can't you? I think it costs 2500 element zero.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what 10% negoation bonus does? My death mask gives me 10% negotiation bonus but it's reallly ugly, I want to change back to my other head gear.
adds 10% to your paragon/reneged meter, so if your just short of a conversation unlock level it will help, I never used it.

Wallach

Well, shit
I just found out that the crew is going to die because I didn't go through the relay immediately. I've done a mission or two since then. At this point, Would it make any difference if I went through the relay now rather than later?

Yes. If you do anywhere between 1-3 missions after your crew is taken by the Collectors, you will lose half of your crew including Yeoman Kelly. If you do 4 or more missions before going through the Omega-4 relay, all of your crew except for Dr. Chakwas will die.

nourali2 said:
In my Mass Effect 1 playthrough I did everything you could possibly do with an infiltrator; I got sniper, pistol, overload achievements, etc... got all paragon, played the good-guy playthrough,
saved Ashley, saved Wrex, let Alenko die, inadvertently led Saren to kill himself, let the Rachni queen live, saved the Council, and recommended Anderson to the Council
. I got to level 50 in preparation for an import... It was all really fun. I'm just so surprised at how much better the experience is in Mass Effect 2. There is so much polish, from the way the doors open to the logistical fixes (no dealing with hundreds of equipments or omnigel anymore).

Haha, this cracks me up because just before I picked up ME2, I realized I'd lost my old level 60 ME saves when I rebuilt my computer. The play through I had time for before ME2 actually arrived in the mail was exactly the one you just described, detail for detail. Go Infiltrators! As much as I love ME1, I simply cannot go back and play it at all, ME2 has completely spoiled me. Especially when it comes to Infiltrators.

Montresor

MrTroubleMaker said:
adds 10% to your paragon/reneged meter, so if your just short of a conversation unlock level it will help, I never used it.

Bye bye death mask then. I've had a full paragon meter for a long time.

X-Frame

The new patch for the 360 that came out on the 17th seemed to increase the radar field for scanning planets by about 25% and also doubled the speed at which it moves. Thing flies at the speed of light now!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
X-Frame said:
The new patch for the 360 that came out on the 17th seemed to increase the radar field for scanning planets by about 25% and also doubled the speed at which it moves. Thing flies at the speed of light now!

Nice.

legend166

Himuro said:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mtzeijnnkgn

1. Go to ME2 folder.
2. Go into BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked
3. Back up the Coalesced.ini file there in case you want to restore or if something goes wrong (which it shouldn't).
4. Download above file into that folder and rename to Coalesced
5. Start game.
6. Load save.
7. Hit key.

F1 / max resources
F2 / max credits
F11 / max Paragon
F12 / max Renegade

You can some of them, or all of them or none of them. I just went with resources.

Ok so I was just pointed this post because I'm sick of scanning, but the file in the link is invalid. Anyone know where else to get it?

I've only done 3 or 4 recruitment missions and I alrerady think the soldier is boring. Adrenaline rush is mighty useful, as well as having all of the ammo powers, but it's not as fun as the vanguard. How's the adept?

Dresden

ChoklitReign said:
I've only done 3 or 4 recruitment missions and I alrerady think the soldier is boring. Adrenaline rush is mighty useful, as well as having all of the ammo powers, but it's not as fun as the vanguard. How's the adept?
Toss Singularity.

Toss Warp to detonate.

Rinse and repeat.

Mr_Zombie

legend166 said:
Ok so I was just pointed this post because I'm sick of scanning, but the file in the link is invalid. Anyone know where else to get it?

It's not exactly the mod you posted above, but you can find few mods (including those that adds resources and money) here: http://www.masseffectsaves.com/mods.php

There's also a save editor there, so you can just edit your saves and give yourself as much resources as you want.

Archer

Just beat ME2 on Veteran difficulty. 68.5h. Haven't yet tried any DLC.

As many have said, the game is mostly recruiting. Am hoping that this will set the stage for ownage in ME3, since the team has gotten to know each other.

I'm disappointed in the sex scenes in ME2. ME1 was better. Seems like EA was concerned about ratings moreso this time, although they did let out a couple of eff-bombs in ME2.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wiggum2007 said:
Now they just need to fucking patch in M4 Part II to play during the credits.

Yes, yes, a million times yes!

Archer said:
Just beat ME2 on Veteran difficulty. 68.5h.

As many have said, the game is mostly recruiting. Am hoping that this will set the stage for ownage in ME3, since the team as gotten to know each other.

I'm disappointed in the sex scenes in ME2. ME1 was better. Seems like EA was concerned about ratings moreso this time, although they did let out a couple of eff-bombs in ME2.

How the fuck?

Archer

Pankaks said:
Yes, yes, a million times yes!

How the fuck?

Scanned every planet, every surface, every nook and cranny, reread conversations a few times, where possible.

Never could figure out how to shag Kelly. I did a couple of missions before going to rescue the crew. She melted, while the cook and the doctor were retrieved. :lol

Minamu

So, how hard is insanity in this game? With the new patch, I'm thinking of going back with my lvl 30 Adept & be a bad guy.

When I tried to go insanity after beating the game, it froze on me during the death sequence after like 5 minutes so I never bothered with it.

Cep

Banned
Minamu said:
So, how hard is insanity in this game? With the new patch, I'm thinking of going back with my lvl 30 Adept & be a bad guy.

When I tried to go insanity after beating the game, it froze on me during the death sequence after like 5 minutes so I never bothered with it.

Depends on the class you use and what type of game you start.

Insanity is pretty easy (did it my first time through the game), but the class you use has a pretty big effect on how much fun/difficulty you have.

Not sure if things have changed, but I remember that Soldier/Sentinel/Infiltrator all had the easiest time on insanity. Vanguard is probably the faster, more efficient killing machine, but it takes serious skill to use it on insanity (unless you want to die a lot).

New Game+ is probably not a good idea. It is really frustrating since you have no upgrades and thus are basically level 1, whilst everything else is level 30. From what I hear(from Dresden anyway) Engineers probably have the easiest time in NG+, but I have not had a chance to test this out.

Minamu said:

The beginning of the game is the worst when you start Insanity because you don't have any of the health, weapon, biotics and shield upgrades. The good idea is to take full control of your teammates and just tell them to take position out of harms way. That way you can use their powers from where you are and they won't die instantly.

Just be patient and use cover and you should be fine. Oh, and when you get to the collector ship mission be sure to have the Avalanche heavy weapon with you. That puppy was the only way I got past that floaty platform part.

Cep

Banned
Rodney McKay said:
The beginning of the game is the worst when you start Insanity because you don't have any of the health, weapon, biotics and shield upgrades. The good idea is to take full control of your teammates and just tell them to take position out of harms way. That way you can use their powers from where you are and they won't die instantly.

Just be patient and use cover and you should be fine. Oh, and when you get to the collector ship mission be sure to have the Avalanche heavy weapon with you. That puppy was the only way I got past that floaty platform part.

Or pick Sniper Rifle as your bonus weapon.

Or not suck.

Montresor

Cep said:
Depends on the class you use and what type of game you start.

Insanity is pretty easy (did it my first time through the game), but the class you use has a pretty big effect on how much fun/difficulty you have.

Not sure if things have changed, but I remember that Soldier/Sentinel/Infiltrator all had the easiest time on insanity. Vanguard is probably the faster, more efficient killing machine, but it takes serious skill to use it on insanity (unless you want to die a lot).

New Game+ is probably not a good idea. It is really frustrating since you have no upgrades and thus are basically level 1, whilst everything else is level 30. From what I hear(from Dresden anyway) Engineers probably have the easiest time in NG+, but I have not had a chance to test this out.

I don't understand this part. I just beat the game and I'm planning on using a new game + to play insanity. Should I not bother and just create a new Shepard?

Anyway, to make my run through insanity as quick as possible, I'm thinking of not doing any of the loyalty missions (or at least very few of them) so I can 1030 the game as quickly as possible... I really want to return to Mass Effect 1 soon because I know that game will take forever to get every achievement. Is it a good idea to ignore loyalty missions in the insanity run? I'm going to be an infiltrator, fyi, since my initial run was with an infiltrator (although... if I'm not gonna use new game+ I might use a new class).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Well, shit
I think
you can do Legion's loyalty mission and (maybe one other mission that only becomes available after the kidnappings, iirc) before going through the relay and still have the crew survive. But those are exceptions and not rules.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RedNumberFive said:
So I just started this as my PS3 died about an hour ago, but I can't connect to the Cereberus Network. Anyone else able to connect?

no problem here

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clockblockers said:

PS3 died, nothing to do, thus he plays Mass Effect 2.

Every time this thread gets bumped I think its the PC patch or DLC or something.

EatChildren said:
PS3 died, nothing to do, thus he plays Mass Effect 2.

Every time this thread gets bumped I think its the PC patch or DLC or something.

Well I feel stupid. Is there going to be a new content based DLC or are they shifting towards ME3?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clockblockers said:
Well I feel stupid. Is there going to be a new content based DLC or are they shifting towards ME3?

Yeah. The Overlord mission pack comes out in June, and BioWare said they were shifting more towards mission based DLC over item packs now. Casey said in a recent interview that they had some DLC in the work that would bridge the story gaps between Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, so they're not done with the DLC just yet.

Whether or not it ends up being any good...

Cep

Banned
nourali2 said:
I don't understand this part. I just beat the game and I'm planning on using a new game + to play insanity. Should I not bother and just create a new Shepard?

Anyway, to make my run through insanity as quick as possible, I'm thinking of not doing any of the loyalty missions (or at least very few of them) so I can 1030 the game as quickly as possible... I really want to return to Mass Effect 1 soon because I know that game will take forever to get every achievement. Is it a good idea to ignore loyalty missions in the insanity run? I'm going to be an infiltrator, fyi, since my initial run was with an infiltrator (although... if I'm not gonna use new game+ I might use a new class).

Yes create a new Shepard.

Most people do not realize it, but the upgrades when added together make a massive difference.

So when you start out at level 30, you have all the skills, but none of the upgrades. What this means is that your enemies have weapons and defenses meant for a level 30 character, while you have to basically start from scratch.

Cep said:
Or pick Sniper Rifle as your bonus weapon.

Or not suck.

:lol Shut up red...neck...man!

In my defense I didn't know that the enemies scaled to your level and I was a level 30.
And I don't like like the sniper rifle, whenever I use my biotics it zooms in like I'm aiming with the thing and it bugs the crap out of me.

But man, that Avalanche can freeze an entire platform of collectors in 2-3 shots and made that entire section a cake walk.

Minamu

Cep said:

Most people do not realize it, but the upgrades when added together make a massive difference.

So when you start out at level 30, you have all the skills, but none of the upgrades. What this means is that your enemies have weapons and defenses meant for a level 30 character, while you have to basically start from scratch.
Oh, you mean like newer & stronger weapons, huh? So far I've noticed that my AIs are dying almost instantly so I have to spam singularity+warp on almost every single enemy but it hasn't been *that* hard so far (granted, I just unlocked the chance to go find Mordin). It's kinda like playing Modern Warfare with hardcore settings.

VaLiancY

I'm feeling the Adept. Wide Singularity sucks people in with a nice Warp explosion after. Only tough part I'm having is taking down shields since I don't have Zaeed(Borrowing a friend's copy), Miranda and Garrus do their thing but I'm sure that disruptor ammo and inferno grenade help a lot.

Rented this game a few days ago. So far it's really unremarkable, but I'm still playing it.

I did plan on making all the characters loyal, but a bug caused the Thane quest to break and stop in the middle of it. I can no longer play the quest, as it ended abruptly (with some scenes playing for a couple of seconds then ending with no reasoning whatever). Is there a work around or am I screwed?

Patryn

Minamu said:
Oh, you mean like newer & stronger weapons, huh? So far I've noticed that my AIs are dying almost instantly so I have to spam singularity+warp on almost every single enemy but it hasn't been *that* hard so far (granted, I just unlocked the chance to go find Mordin). It's kinda like playing Modern Warfare with hardcore settings.

The more important upgrades you don't have are to shield strength and damage mitigation. So you're taking a lot more damage than you should be.

Montresor

Rodney McKay said:
:lol Shut up red...neck...man!

In my defense I didn't know that the enemies scaled to your level and I was a level 30.
And I don't like like the sniper rifle, whenever I use my biotics it zooms in like I'm aiming with the thing and it bugs the crap out of me.

But man, that Avalanche can freeze an entire platform of collectors in 2-3 shots and made that entire section a cake walk.

Yes I hate this. I'm an infiltrator who loves using the Widow rifle (so powerful and satisfying). Whenever I use incinerate in cover the rifle zoom screen comes up. I figured out that if I'm not hiding in cover then that's not a problem. So if I'm taking heavy fire, and I'm in cover, and I need to use incinerate, I'd push back on the left stick for a second (to get out of cover), quickly use incinerate, then get right back into cover.

Cep said:

You know, your avatar is mesmerizing. And I will heartily take your advice and play with a new Shepard. I'll make it a renegade run, for once. Probably choose vanguard/adept.

BTW, is this the same case in Mass Effect 1? I was so banking on my being level 50 in my hardcore new game+ run (and eventually reaching level 60 for my insanity run) making things slightly easier...

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I enjoyed the hell out of ME2.

I'd love to see BioWare quit shoehorning in grinding to the series, though. Sidequests should be substantive (read: no mining) or non-existent. If there's a planet, then there should be an enjoyable mission there for me to undertake. Otherwise, don't bother creating it.

Kenaras

nourali2 said:
BTW, is this the same case in Mass Effect 1? I was so banking on my being level 50 in my hardcore new game+ run (and eventually reaching level 60 for my insanity run) making things slightly easier...

NG+ is much easier in ME1 than starting from scratch is; it's the opposite of ME2 that way.

Mr_Zombie

nourali2 said:

Nah, in ME1 you start the new game+ with all your powers and equipment from previous game. So that's the true New Game+.

Cep

Banned
Minamu said:

Hard is not the words.

Frustrating is.

I personally do not like to be frustrated.

VaLiancY

Rock Paper Shotgun just put an amazing article about the characters. Yes, it has major spoilers to those still playing the game.

Edit - Fuck me, it's four days old. Oh well.

Cep

Banned
VaLiancY said:
Rock Paper Shotgun just put an amazing article about the characters. Yes, it has major spoilers to those still playing the game.

Thanks, I had not seen that article.

Minamu

Cep said:
Hard is not the words.

Frustrating is.

I personally do not like to be frustrated.
Trust me, I wouldn't bother with anything above Normal if there were no achievements for that stuff. That, and the new patch, pushed me over the edge. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't replay the game ever to be honest. I'm not a big fan of frustration either.

Cep

Banned
Minamu said:
Trust me, I wouldn't bother with anything above Normal if there were no achievements for that stuff. That, and the new patch, pushed me over the edge. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't replay the game ever to be honest. I'm not a big fan of frustration either.

If that is the case, you should not have bothered with NG+.

You should have just created a new character and played them on Insanity.

My first run through the game got me all the achievements.

Patryn

VaLiancY said:

I also hadn't seen it, and it's really nice. I think it really finally gels for me exactly WHY I had an almost visceral negative reaction to the game shortly after I beat it. Because I can remember liking it while I was playing it for the most part barring those GODDAMN MISSION COMPLETE SCREENS.

But then I beat it. And I felt extremely underwhelmed. That feeling quickly gave way to a burning dislike for the game. Now, part of that was talking through it and hyperfocusing on the plot holes of the game, and part of it was playing through Mass Effect 1 shortly after and realizing just how much I preferred that game to ME2.

But I really think the fact that I had everyone (barring the crew) live at the end just killed all the emotional impact of the finale after the fact. At the time I was on the edge of my seat, but afterwards it was like sand in a hourglass that just left little to no impression on me.

They made it way too easy to gain everyone's loyalty and keep everyone alive. I just played the game the way I thought it was supposed to be played, and I didn't realize until I read people's complaints that you could LOSE a person's loyalty. I had no idea you could fail a loyalty mission!

I think if they had forced a heroic sacrifice, if they had MADE you have to make a hard decision and send a crew member, or ideally multiple crew members, to their deaths like in Mass Effect 1, the whole thing would have felt much more epic and important, at least to me. It would have made an impact.

I'd almost guess that they didn't do that simply because of Mass Effect 3, but as it is people have such a variety of combinations of dead and alive crew members I highly doubt that most, if not all, of the party of ME2 will have any notable role in ME3. Too much effort crafting all those possibilities, after all. (Side note: In the end, this will likely be my biggest complaint about ME2. If I'm vindicated, and the ME2 cast is sidelined, then ME2 had little to no point and its non-epic and intimate tale of revenge probably would have been better served as an expansion pack or large-scale DLC, because it sure as hell doesn't work as a part of a trilogy).

It's clear that Bioware studied stuff like The Dirty Dozen. It really is a shame that they didn't study it closely enough.

Leckan

I upgraded to the assault weapon class when I got to the collector ship. Please tell me that I can also use the sniper rifle sometime in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom