• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
subversus said:
I think I gonna wait for one more DLC, do my 3rd walkthrough and then stop playing until something big is announced. If it is announced at all.

Maybe wait until E3 and see if BioWare announce any expansions or something. They're bound to show something.

Cep

Banned
I hope the new DLC is substantial.

Hard to justify re-installing the game for stuff like Kasumi and Firewalker.

Although, this new DLC is going to be hard to resist as it seems to be full of ME1 Goodness.

If only they would re-balance the party. Kasumi and Miranda make most of the other party members look pathetic.

Nice fighting a crazy A.I! It's something we never did in the 2 games!! :lol

seriously thought, I was expecting finally something more related to the ME saga plot or at least somewhat related. Or maybe related to the books and their characters? that could be cool....

At least gameplay wise sounds pretty good, I'm one of the few that enjoyed the firewalker missions and saw the potential of the hammerhead for more exploration based missions...

selig

Banned
Btw. I overlooked the Kasumi-DLC. Is her character well-integrated in the whole game, or does she only have her recruiting missions and thats it? Does she have rich voice acting? Can you start a romance with her?

Peff

selig said:
Btw. I overlooked the Kasumi-DLC. Is her character well-integrated in the whole game, or does she only have her recruiting missions and thats it? Does she have rich voice acting? Can you start a romance with her?

She's like Female Zaeed, whether that's good enough or not is up to you. But yes, she only has a loyalty mission, cool voice acting (she talks a lot during her mission, has lines in the ship but not dialogue trees and random comments during missions) and no romances.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
selig said:

Kasumi is like Zaeed. On your ship she will not engage in any interactive dialogue, instead comment on a bunch of objects in her room as well as give input on other characters on the ship, missions, etc.

She has no recruit mission, only the loyalty mission. Its short, but in my opinion a lot of fun with a great location and interesting story. Her voice acting is fantastic and she's probably the most interesting human ally across both games, despite her lack interactive lines on the ship.

As a functional party member she can more than hold her own in battle and has a really cool special ability. The pack also nets you a new SMG that's also pretty rad.

Salz01

I have not gotten any of the PDLC. I guess I'll wait till they have it as all one pack on sale, and then download it.

Bite sized PDLC is dead to me.

Overlord Priced.

EA has revealed the next significant paid add-on for Mass Effect 2. It's called Overlord and will be available in June for 560 Microsoft Points (£4.80/€6.70).

Overlord presents a storied mission based on a hub planet, according to IncGamers. The new Hammerhead tank will transport you from mission to mission. There are no new weapons and no new characters, just the story of an evil AI ordering robots around.

The content will apparently last around two-and-a-half hours.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/me2-overlord-dlc-has-ai-baddie

Lakitu

st5fu
2 and a half hours long?
Pilot the Hammerhead to get from mission to mission on a HUB planet?
Fully voiced, morale choices in the story? Check.

You can has my money Bioware.

EatChildren

I'm cool with the price, though by 2.5 hours they mean 45 minutes.

Peff

Pretty good price, will definitely get it
with the spare points I have I would probably get it anyways who am I kidding :lol

pringles

So much DLC.. haven't downloaded any of it.

If only it wasn't so easy to max out your character in ME2. Doesn't feel rewarding to play through a ton of DLC after you've reached lvl 30.

Lakitu said:
New impressions from Gamespot and interview with Casey Hudson. I really like the sound of this.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect2workingtitle/news.html?sid=6262353&mode=previews

Sounds good, and he mentioned cows, there is a tech upgrade BovineFortitude in the game. I wonder if this was going to be used for this, but he did say no new upgrades though.

2mx3ax2.png

I wonder if the QuarianShields upgrade will ever be used to

2arktf.png

I found these using/editing in " Command="PROFILE TECH SELF" in the Coalesced.ini

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Lakitu said:
2 and a half hours long?

It sounds promising. But so far Bioware DLC has been abysmal, so I'll wait.

Zen

Banned
Speedymanic said:

Being able to use that Hammerhead to explore the planet? This sounds like the types of things that should have been in ME2 from the beginning.

But this IS Bioware we're talking about, considering this is Bioware DLC I'll wait to hear impressions.

I wish this game wasn't such a roaring disappointment (yes I am speaking for myself, kudos to people that enjoyed it).

I'm so torn about this new DLC. I just recently caved in an bought the Kasumi DLC and boy am I dissapointed. The new Smg was not even anything special. It was just pretty bare bones and just shoot this and shoot that. I lmao at the final boss. How many times have we fought something like that. So I may pass this time, especially since I have a maxed out character and there is really not incentive to buy the DLC.

Dresden

diamondstar said:
I'm so torn about this new DLC. I just recently caved in an bought the Kasumi DLC and boy am I dissapointed. The new Smg was not even anything special. It was just pretty bare bones and just shoot this and shoot that. I lmao at the final boss. How many times have we fought something like that. So I may pass this time, especially since I have a maxed out character and there is really not incentive to buy the DLC.
You folks need to realize that there's more to life than a maxed out character. Try another playthrough.

Dresden said:
You folks need to realize that there's more to life than a maxed out character. Try another playthrough.

Depends on the game. I really have no desire to playthrough the game again. It was good while playing but when it all wrapped up I was left with a big meh.

So if this DLC had something more to offer like new upgrades or a higher character level cap then I would be interested. But I'm sorry, Kasumi DLC left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mindlog

ME3 needs to take a look at the SG:U soundtrack (not the music video stuff so much.) It's one of the few things that show is doing right.

Almost all of the synth stuff would sound great in ME.

hoverX

ok, so i'm on vacation next week. One of my goals for the week is to finish Mass Effect 1. allowing me to play the unopened copy of ME2 my girlfriend bought me for my birthday months ago.

I don't know what is so hard about finishing the game, i just can't seem to find the time to play it! :(

Danj

Dunno if it's been mentioned before (Google search turns up no results) but there's a legit way to get ME2 PC DLC for free (if you're in the UK and regularly drink Coca-Cola, that is).

Coca-Cola has a loyalty points thing on 500ml and 2l bottles and 10-can fridge packs. One of the items on their loyalty rewards site, Coke Zone, is an EA store voucher (they have £5 vouchers and £10 vouchers). If you use your Coke Points to get one of these vouchers, then go on the EA Store and use it to buy BioWare points, then you can go to the BioWare DLC site and get your DLC for free.

Zen

Banned
subversus said:
1 million copies in 3 weeks.

What irks me is that they've claimed that ME2 sold 2 million copies in the first 2 days and now we see this.

Dragon Age being a more niche title sold 3 million copies in the 3rd quarter. Probably PS3 could help :lol

I think they were aligning the launches of the various territories to get to that number.

So...I'm about to start playing this game and I can't decide whether I want to bring over my Shepard from ME1 or create a new one. I heard that you can change the appearance of your Shepard from the beginning no matter what so that makes one of my deciding factors irrelevant but there are a few others that are making it difficult for me to decide. I was hoping someone who has finished the game will help me decide.

The reasons I want to carry my Shepard over are for the relationship with Ashley and the major choices that I made throughout the campaign.

The reasons that I am thinking about starting a new Shepard are that I am not satisfied with some of my decisions in side quests, character history, and class/abilities.

I'm not sure how much of a role these things play in ME2 so maybe somebody can shed some light on that for me.

Rodhull

You can change your player class after importing as well man.

I've played through with an imported and a new character and I'd always reccomending importing as I really didn't like a lot of the default choices the game made for you.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I thought I can't change the appearance of the imported character. Is it true, that it's possible?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Lakitu said:
2 and a half hours long?

After Kasumi being 1 hour long, There pricing structure is so fucked. Kasum should have been 400 at most.

Edit: I didnt buy kasumi, But everyone said its 1 hour for most.

Fourman said:
Overlord DLC sounds good. Bioware has my money.

Yea it does sound really good. May have mine as well! would be my first payed DLC for ME2

Cep

Banned
I am not going to bother with any of this dlc until the GOTY pack is released next year.

Too expensive and too small to warrant reinstalling the game.

nico

Banned
Cep said:
I am not going to bother with any of this dlc until the GOTY pack is released next year.

Too expensive and too small to warrant reinstalling the game.

I'm skeptical that you'll ever get these small dlcs on disk though, hasn't happened for dragon age.

I'd say if there is goty edition it will just be the normal disk with a download code.
If there isn't something like this announced for dragon age soon its probably not happening for mass effect anytime soon.

nico said:
I'm skeptical that you'll ever get these small dlcs on disk though, hasn't happened for dragon age.

I'd say if there is goty edition it will just be the normal disk with a download code.
If there isn't something like this announced for dragon age soon its probably not happening for mass effect anytime soon.

A Platinum Hits version of either would possibly include the DLC (other than big expansions like Awakening).

Mass Effect 1 Platinum Hits had Bring Down the Sky on it. Fable II Platinum Hits had it's DLC as well.

EatChildren

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
So...I'm about to start playing this game and I can't decide whether I want to bring over my Shepard from ME1 or create a new one. I heard that you can change the appearance of your Shepard from the beginning no matter what so that makes one of my deciding factors irrelevant but there are a few others that are making it difficult for me to decide. I was hoping someone who has finished the game will help me decide.

The reasons I want to carry my Shepard over are for the relationship with Ashley and the major choices that I made throughout the campaign.

The reasons that I am thinking about starting a new Shepard are that I am not satisfied with some of my decisions in side quests, character history, and class/abilities.

I'm not sure how much of a role these things play in ME2 so maybe somebody can shed some light on that for me.

Many of the quests from ME1 only get mentioned via news reports and emails to Shepard's computer. You'll have characters from past missions emailing you thanks, and hear news reports about previous adventures. Otherwise, there's very little substance that carries across.

As you know, you can change your appearance in ME2, but you can also change your class, so if you were not happy with what you picked you're free to pick another. Basically zero skills and equipment actually transfer across, so you're mostly back to square one. If you import a character you get a level boost (eg: level 60 characters will start at level 5), and you get a bonus to either Paragon/Renegade based on what your import character had. Plus you get some resources for upgrades.

ME1 doesnt actually save the decision you made as to who should be on the citadel council, so you'll be asked by Miranda near the start as to who you picked. So if you picked Udina in your ME1 save but want Anderson, you can change that.

Otherwise, I dont see much reason not to import, other than maybe making the game a bit easy. I imported a level 60 character and with the level 5 start bonus I easily hit ME2's level cap of 30.

Patryn

BarrelMakingPenguin said:

Be aware that the default Shepard is a canon renegade, so if you're cool with having Wrex and the Council dead, then go ahead. But you can't change that unless you import.

It's not like you get a questionnaire to start with to set your choices (well, besides who you want as a councilor).

Got the game on pc a wee while ago, finally installed and started playing.

Imported my lesbian Shepard to les up the universe once more.

Just visited the citadel for the first time, theres something highly amusing about recording the exact same "this is my favourite place to shop" in every single store you visit :D

Lakitu

st5fu
A new patch for 360 has been released...

Chris Priestly said:
Hello Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360 players.

This morning a patch for Mass Effect 2 went live on the Xbox 360. This patch contains the following:
Scanning for minerals has been optimized

Fixed an issue with marking all entries as viewed in the Journal

Fixed an issue relating to text and the menu screen

Fixed an issue relating to players starting a new game and loading a save

Fixed multiple issues when loading a save containing DLC when DLC isn't present

Fixed an issue with ammo flashing when it can't be picked up

Fixed an issue with crosshairs

Fixed an issue with Grunt's Fortification power

Fixed an issue with enemies and cover

Fixed an issue where players could receive additional talent points

Fixed an issue where squad members would overwrite ammo powers the player had assigned them

Currently this patch is only for the 360, but a patch for the PC version of Mass Effect 2 is in the works and we will have details as soon as they are ready.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/129/index/2637694

The new scanner makes a huge difference. It's bigger and a lot faster.

Edit: Damn, beaten.

If you want to listen to something different while playing Mass Effect 2 as a custom soundtrack, I suggest the newest album by God is an Astronaut.

It fits perfectly with the Mass Effect universe

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MrPing1000 said:
Got the game on pc a wee while ago, finally installed and started playing.

Imported my lesbian Shepard to les up the universe once more.

Just visited the citadel for the first time, theres something highly amusing about recording the exact same "this is my favourite place to shop" in every single store you visit :D

no lez Shepard this time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom