• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gregor7777 said:
Thinking of getting back into playing ME2. Haven't played since around release, and never got the chance to finish it.

I may start over. Is there a good, up to date and concise review of all the DLC available now?

Kasumi = Short, but fun and useful character and quest.
Costume Pack = Shit.
Equilizer Pack = Also shit, and potentially a rip-off if you already own the Inferno Armor.

Everything else is free on The Cerberus Network. The upcoming Overlord looks good though.

EatChildren said:
Kasumi = Short, but fun and useful character and quest.
Costume Pack = Shit.
Equilizer Pack = Also shit, and potentially a rip-off if you already own the Inferno Armor.

Everything else is free on The Cerberus Network. The upcoming Overlord looks good though.

Cool, thanks. I don't have any of that. Just the stuff that came with the game + the Dragon Armor.

Wallach

Cep said:
Here is the thing though, even in situations of forced combat, the Vanguard still out-perfoms because he never gets the extra spawns that some of the other classes have to deal with.

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lek_gn3h6oc

I do not particularly like playing as a Vanguard (aggressive or otherwise) but they are pretty damn absurd.

They're really good at a few spots; that one in particular is a good one, though they aren't quite as fast at clearing out most of the level prior the colossus. Truth be told though, they don't get to skip out on as many spawns as you'd think - or at least, other classes don't need to deal with those spawns themselves a lot of the time. The game doesn't really use spawn triggers a ton anyway, though there are a few places it will save you a lot of time.

When it comes down to speed running most of the main story missions - particularly Collector based missions - they just don't kill as fast as it feels like they do when you're playing one. Compare these two Insanity speed runs of the
Collector Base valve run
, for example:

Sinosleep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGKMwGrS46E
Gatsby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLiQgOlZh4

The Vanguard run "looks" faster, but in reality isn't faster at getting through here at all.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Skilotonn said:
Man, you need to check your speakers or something if he sounds anything like that.

And shut up about the female Shepard thing already - I thought we moved past that noise a long time ago, you'd think that the voices were night and day with the way some of you go on about something that just comes down to preference.

Shut the hell up. Go dictate what other people talk about somewhere else.

I'm sort of burned out on ME2 at the moment, so I'll probably wait to see how this new Overlord DLC turns out. More than likely, I'll probably just wait until ME3. Or the next Bioware RPG.

VaLiancY

I want to buy the DLC but I want to wait for a bundle on the PC. I don't feel like messing with shitty microsoft points and have points left over with nothing to do.

Much as I want to play the sequel I think i'll wait for some kind of GOTY/gold edition to come out at Christmas with the DLC included, since most games do it and ME1 does it with the classic collection version.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Character death spoilers ahead...even though everyone's playthrough is different:

Finally finished the game today. Took me a while because I tried to do just about everything in it. Ended up with about 31 hours of incredible gameplay. The finale was intense.
I lost some people, unfortunately: Garrus, Mordin, Zaeed , Jack, & Legion. saved everyone else tho and blew the shit up. That was awesome. Anyways, I really want to play the next one to see how my actions affected everything. There was a lot of great setups that haven't quite gotten a pay off in this game.

Like I said, I did everything except for Zaeed and some firewalker missions (because, meh). i got the official loyalty of everyone except for Zaeed, Jack, & Legion, so it was pretty sad to see Garrus & Mordin go. Legion was sweet too, I wish I had got him earlier. I also slept with Miranada, that was nice. Just wish I was told the relationship couldn't be completed until I got to the final reaper stuff. I musta checked in with her like a 1000 times.
:lol Ah well.

Incredible games, one of my faves. Now I can read through this thread legit!

Alucrid said:
They really need to stop with this jackassary that is 560 msp.

Very true. I would need to buy 1200 units of fake money to pay for two pieces of DLC that each cost 560. It's embarrassing to watch companies bum spare change off of their customers.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
CabbageRed said:
Very true. I would need to buy 1200 units of fake money to pay for two pieces of DLC that each cost 560. It's embarrassing to watch companies bum spare change off of their customers.

I don't think I've ever heard that put quite so nicely. Bravo, sir.

soldat7

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Character death
spoilers ahead...even though everyone's playthrough is different:

Finally finished the game today. Took me a while because I tried to do just about everything in it. Ended up with about 31 hours of incredible gameplay. The finale was intense.
I lost some people, unfortunately: Garrus, Mordin, Zaeed , Jack, & Legion. saved everyone else tho and blew the shit up. That was awesome. Anyways, I really want to play the next one to see how my actions affected everything. There was a lot of great setups that haven't quite gotten a pay off in this game.

Like I said, I did everything except for Zaeed and some firewalker missions (because, meh). i got the official loyalty of everyone except for Zaeed, Jack, & Legion, so it was pretty sad to see Garrus & Mordin go. Legion was sweet too, I wish I had got him earlier. I also slept with Miranada, that was nice. Just wish I was told the relationship couldn't be completed until I got to the final reaper stuff. I musta checked in with her like a 1000 times.:lol Ah well.

Incredible games, one of my faves. Now I can read through this thread legit!

Fixed.

Cep

Banned
Wallach said:
They're really good at a few spots; that one in particular is a good one, though they aren't quite as fast at clearing out most of the level prior the colossus. Truth be told though, they don't get to skip out on as many spawns as you'd think - or at least, other classes don't need to deal with those spawns themselves a lot of the time. The game doesn't really use spawn triggers a ton anyway, though there are a few places it will save you a lot of time.

When it comes down to speed running most of the main story missions - particularly Collector based missions - they just don't kill as fast as it feels like they do when you're playing one. Compare these two Insanity speed runs of the
Collector Base valve run
, for example:

Sinosleep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGKMwGrS46E
Gatsby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLiQgOlZh4

The Vanguard run "looks" faster, but in reality isn't faster at getting through here at all.

Very good point.

I have never gotten to the collector base as a vanguard (found the class too boring) but I see what you mean.

I am assuming that the Soldier and Infiltrator have the quickest times thus far?

Wallach

Cep said:
Very good point.

I have never gotten to the collector base as a vanguard (found the class too boring) but I see what you mean.

I am assuming that the Soldier and Infiltrator have the quickest times thus far?

It's pretty balanced actually - in terms of "real" speed time dilation can sort of work against you. Both Soldier and Infiltrator dilate time quite frequently, even though their game-relation kill speed remains high.

I think the reality of it is that Warp explosions are extremely hard to beat when doing a lot of forward movement through weaker enemies, so sometimes what you gain in firepower you lose in teammate ability to create the devastating Warp combos.

All of those Collector-based missions favor Warp combos generally because of the Barrier prominence combined with the frequent ability to ledge-kill. I think maybe if you take all of the missions and average it out, Vanguard might win that contest because they are the most consistent outside of a few snags.

If you look at them separately it's much more varied; the mission you posted for example, outside of the Colossus itself, probably leans Infiltrator/Engineer because it greatly favors AI Hacking and Squad Disruptor when combined with full auto weapons. Squad Disruptor alone with full autos make, say, the Soldier a strong choice, but hacked enemies just wreck each other on Insanity so it's hard to match without that particular skill.

Vanguards are definitely fast though, there's no arguing that. I think the only reason they don't blow the other classes out of the water is simply the global cooldown; they simply can't synergize with squad mates for Warp combos well because their cooldown is constantly tied up in BC.

Montresor

Cep said:
Say what?

The reason I said that I would want to get through insanity as quickly as possible is because the higher the level you are, the worse it gets, right? That's the whole concept that cripples new game+. If I can get to the final battle at level 23 I'd have a much easier time than if I were level 30. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I haven't played my insanity run in awhile because of Assassin's Creed 2 & Banjo (arcade). Last time I played it I beat Horizon. Anyway, I put it in, visited Ilium and was only able to buy two upgrades. God dammit credits are getting scarce.

I jumped right into
Tali
's recruit mission. Re-spec'd for squad disruptor ammo, 3 points each in AI hacking, incinerate, cloak, and operative. I also put my last spare point into geth shield boost. I gave Miranda heavy overload and I have the Archangel with his heavy overload too. Let's destroy some geth, sons.

Pimpbaa

EatChildren said:
Costume Pack = Shit.

At least it gives Garrus a new suit to replace his busted one. Shepard is such a cheap ass in ME2 considering all the different suits that were in the first game :lol

Patryn

Those of us who are wishing for major changes for Mass Effect 3 may be out of luck.

E3 Floor plan shows off Mass Effect 3 (Warning: Kotaku link)

Basically, for those who wish not to click, Gamestop has put up an interactive floorplan for E3. In the EA section, they list ME3 as one of the games to be shown off (also Dragon Age 2, but that's for another thread).

If this is true, they weren't kidding about a short window between ME2 and ME3.

Wallach

nourali2 said:
The reason I said that I would want to get through insanity as quickly as possible is because the higher the level you are, the worse it gets, right? That's the whole concept that cripples new game+. If I can get to the final battle at level 23 I'd have a much easier time than if I were level 30. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This isn't quite right. The reason NG+ is so hard much harder is that both Shepard and the enemies are level 30 (or, if you didn't quite hit 30 then your enemies just match your level). What makes NG+ so hard is that this takes away all of your upgrades, whereas the enemy scaling follows a curve that assumes you are upgrading. So, at the start of NG+ everything is at the tip of the curve where it was at end-game, but you have 0 upgrades.

If you're playing Insanity with a new character, this doesn't apply because you're getting the upgrades as you level, so if you're getting all of the ones you have available to you you're actually slightly ahead of their curve.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Patryn said:
Those of us who are wishing for major changes for Mass Effect 3 may be out of luck.

E3 Floor plan shows off Mass Effect 3 (Warning: Kotaku link)

Basically, for those who wish not to click, Gamestop has put up an interactive floorplan for E3. In the EA section, they list ME3 as one of the games to be shown off (also Dragon Age 2, but that's for another thread).

If this is true, they weren't kidding about a short window between ME2 and ME3.

speculation by gamespot, they do it every year

kuYuri

JoeBoy101 said:
211qvyuvdcl.gif

Best gif in awhile. :lol

Montresor

Wallach said:
This isn't quite right. The reason NG+ is so hard much harder is that both Shepard and the enemies are level 30 (or, if you didn't quite hit 30 then your enemies just match your level). What makes NG+ so hard is that this takes away all of your upgrades, whereas the enemy scaling follows a curve that assumes you are upgrading. So, at the start of NG+ everything is at the tip of the curve where it was at end-game, but you have 0 upgrades.

If you're playing Insanity with a new character, this doesn't apply because you're getting the upgrades as you level, so if you're getting all of the ones you have available to you you're actually slightly ahead of their curve.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Oh and, I just picked up the
geth pulse rifle on Tali's recruit mission. Is this rifle better or worse than the Collector assault rifle
?

And that mission turned out to be such a joke! Squad disruptor ammo annihilates synthetics! I re-spec'd immediately after the mission and re-strengthened my geth shield boost + incinerate. Thank the Lords of Kobol for the 55k element zero boost.

Cep

Banned
nourali2 said:

geth pulse rifle on Tali's recruit mission. Is this rifle better or worse than the Collector assault rifle
?

And that mission turned out to be such a joke! Squad disruptor ammo annihilates synthetics! I re-spec'd immediately after the mission and re-strengthened my geth shield boost + incinerate. Thank the Lords of Kobol for the 55k element zero boost.

Here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Weaponry_Comparison

Which class are you again?

I ask because in most cases, you are much better off with the vindicator as your Assault Rifle.

Wallach

nourali2 said:

?

And that mission turned out to be such a joke! Squad disruptor ammo annihilates synthetics! I re-spec'd immediately after the mission and put 6 points into every skill except hacking and cryo. Thank the Lords of Kobol for element zero.

It's worse. Quite frankly I think it's totally worthless, unfortunately.

And yeah, squad disruptor + AI hacking there is complete domination. :D

Cep

Banned
Wallach said:
It's worse. Quite frankly I think it's totally worthless, unfortunately.

And yeah, squad disruptor + AI hacking there is complete domination. :D

Yeah it is, the best thing about it is the ammo capacity and the rapid-fire rate which made it useful for Adepts, but most learned that it was better to use the other weapons (especially the newer SMG).

Montresor

Cep said:
Here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Weaponry_Comparison

Which class are you again?

I ask because in most cases, you are much better off with the vindicator as your Assault Rifle.

I'm an infiltrator. And when I get to the
collector ship
mission, I plan on picking up the Widow sniper rifle, so I won't be using any assault rifles in this playthrough. I ask only because I want what's best for the Archangel and Grunt.

Oh and, I was about to thank you for your answer to my previous question (level scaling/newgame+) but you edited your post. :)

Wallach

Cep said:
Yeah it is, the best thing about it is the ammo capacity and the rapid-fire rate which made it useful for Adepts, but most learned that it was better to use the other weapons (especially the newer SMG).

Yeah, if you have access to the Locust it's kind of redundant to even pick up an AR at that point (though the Vindicator remains a very strong weapon). Scimitar or Eviscerator is what I usually carry around after that, but I prefer the Sentinel.

nourali2 said:
collector ship
mission, I plan on picking up the Widow sniper rifle, so I won't be using any assault rifles in this playthrough. I ask only because I want what's best for the Archangel and Grunt.

I generally leave my squad mates equipped with the Vindicator for their AR.

Cep

Banned
nourali2 said:
collector ship

Oh and, I was about to thank you for your answer to my previous question (level scaling/newgame+) but you edited your post. :)

The question had already been answered :) .

Also, the Vindicator Battle-rifle is the only AR worth your squad-members' time.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
If Mass Effect 3 is shown, I'll post up an info thread and try to keep it updated...

Cep said:
Yes it is down to preference.

Some people prefer inferior voice actors.

Oh how I wish I came back to this thread earlier, oh well, my response won't matter much now, seeing that you're banned right now...

karasu said:
Damn. Sorry, man. :| I just got into the series last month. I don't know what the hell you guys already talked about. :|

Sorry, my bad.

That was for people that have been going on about this since the original Mass Effect, the second part wasn't meant for you or anyone new to the series... :(

WanderingWind said:
Shut the hell up. Go dictate what other people talk about somewhere else.

I'm sort of burned out on ME2 at the moment, so I'll probably wait to see how this new Overlord DLC turns out. More than likely, I'll probably just wait until ME3. Or the next Bioware RPG.

Hey.

Hey.

You shut up. Some people like one voice, some like the other. There is no "one" Shepard, there is no "one" ending - that's the beauty of Mass Effect.

If you don't agree with that, go waddle on elsewhere.

zaidr

I don't know which class to pick...first time ME2 player. Any that will make the game too hard for a first timer? Any class that is just a cakewalk to play if I pick it? Should I avoid any specific class? This happens to me with every western RPG. help?

Patryn

Given the renewed push, and hearing that they've apparently created a "Story So Far" video, I would not be surprised in the least to hear that ME2 is coming to the PS3.

It's been about six months now, hasn't it?

zaidr said:
I don't know which class to pick...first time ME2 player. Any that will make the game too hard for a first timer? Any class that is just a cakewalk to play if I pick it? Should I avoid any specific class? This happens to me with every western RPG. help?

Do you have any experience with 3rd person shooters? Either way I think soldier is a safe bet.

Peff

zaidr said:

Any class is good, just choose the one you think is the most useful for how you usually play. The most beginner friendly is probably Soldier, who has all of the weapons and you can manage your squad's power (which you should get used to because it's useful), so you don't miss that much and have a versatile arsenal at your disposal.

X-Frame

Patryn said:
Given the renewed push, and hearing that they've apparently created a "Story So Far" video, I would not be surprised in the least to hear that ME2 is coming to the PS3.

It's been about six months now, hasn't it?
They can easily fit ME1 and ME2 on one blu-ray. That'd be a sweet announcement too.

Patryn

X-Frame said:
They can easily fit ME1 and ME2 on one blu-ray. That'd be a sweet announcement too.

I still have doubts about ME1 ever going to PS3, simply because it was published by Microsoft. But given this new demo, and the fact that they seem to be making a push for an audience that didn't play ME1 through this "Story So Far" video, plus the whole six months thing... seems to be pointing towards a PS3 version, IMO.

Edgeward

nubbe said:
I enjoyed playing the Mass Effect 2 demo more on the 360 than my PC...

You monster....

What's the work around for the game crashing on when editing my hotkey powers? I want to play adept without constantly pausing this time. And for fuck sake's Bioware, fix this and release a patch.

Motherfucker. So I started my new game + and the fucking first planet guys are kicking my ass on the insane difficulty. They take an incredible amount of bullets to take down, even with head shots + bonus ammo. Does it even out soon when I can buy upgrades?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The_Inquisitor said:
Motherfucker. So I started my new game + and the fucking first planet guys are kicking my ass on the insane difficulty. They take an incredible amount of bullets to take down, even with head shots + bonus ammo. Does it even out soon when I can buy upgrades?

It should be easier on NG+ because of all the skills you have? Although I guess if you're playing Vanguard or something you're sort of SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom