• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

EatChildren said:
Bought and finished Overlord.

Really, really enjoyed it. BioWare were talking out of their ass when they said this would have more dialogue though. There's hardly any. Luckily the dialogue that is there is great, and the story is pretty great even if it doesn't add much to the base Mass Effect 2 plot.

Considering the price I'd say its worth it.

How much is all the DLC released so far? I was waiting for a bunch to catch up, but aren't we around $15 now? It almost makes me want to just wait it out for the gold edition.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mindlog said:
How much is all the DLC released so far? I was waiting for a bunch to catch up, but aren't we around $15 now? It almost makes me want to just wait it out for the gold edition.

Kasumi and Overlord are ~$15 yeah. Equilizer Pack and Costume Pack 1 not included, but they're not worth it anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
firehawk12 said:
Do the characters even talk? Or is it just Shepard focused?

Shepard. Any squad mates you take with you wont say a word.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EatChildren said:
Shepard. Any squad mates you take with you wont say a word.

Man, this is Mass Effect 1 bullshit. :lol

I really wish they didn't go blow their wad on having 12 characters. It makes the logistics of trying to do DLC pretty much impossible since you can't bring back everyone just to do two lines of dialog each.

A solution would be to just make DLC that forces you to use two specific party members. I guess that would piss off the weird character fanboys/girls out there, but at least the DLC would seem better produced.

flippeh

Gotta love EA's CDN.
me2.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
I loved the ME 1 reference in this.

It was
the 2nd mission I believe, and the announcer stated that they'd play some music for your enjoyment and it was Mass Effect 1's elevator theme. Awesome.

Wiggum2007

Why oh why did they throw out the fucking badass Geth Rifle sound effect (thump thump thump) from the first game?!? And instead of replacing it with something awesome we get this weak 'pew pew' shit.

Just downloaded the demo from Marketplace and loved the first one. Have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to disable that fucking blood stain shit?
2) So. Um. Equipment is gone? And upgrades are now squad points?

Coxswain

firehawk12 said:
Man, this is Mass Effect 1 bullshit. :lol

I really wish they didn't go blow their wad on having 12 characters. It makes the logistics of trying to do DLC pretty much impossible since you can't bring back everyone just to do two lines of dialog each.

A solution would be to just make DLC that forces you to use two specific party members. I guess that would piss off the weird character fanboys/girls out there, but at least the DLC would seem better produced.
Party members don't really interject all that much anywhere in the game besides the missions that are specifically about them; the budget limitations of DLC just make absolutely sure it doesn't happen. The problem compared to the base game is that they don't have the budget to hire 20-30 Additional Voices type voice actors to fill out the whole cast with minor characters. By the time you hire Meer, Hale, and usually one or two extras to play the most important non-Shepard character, they're already probably pushing what you can get done on a DLC budget. The better route would be to plan them out and record in batches, or to hold off and produce a full-on expansion, but both of those run into some logistical problems of their own.
It's a little disappointing, but then most of us are playing each DLC package basically on its own, as they get released. I think if you started a new game and just treated the DLC bits as sidequests that you do throughout the game, Overlord, Firewalker, etc would come off pretty favourably as sidequests. As the main attraction, though, they definitely come off a little underproduced compared to what the game shipped with.

afternoon delight said:
Just downloaded the demo from Marketplace and loved the first one. Have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to disable that fucking blood stain shit?
2) So. Um. Equipment is gone? And upgrades are now squad points?
1) Unfortunately, no. On the other hand, you die quickly enough (at least on higher difficulties) that by the time you see it, it really is "Oh fuck oh fuck get behind something" time so you don't notice the obscured view quite as much. As dumb as it looks, I'm sure it's saved me from a couple dozen deaths over the course of a few playthroughs, compared to a less-obnoxious effect.
2) Equipment is still in the game, but every piece you get is unique and meant as a sidegrade to other equipment, instead of being a long series of tiny, incremental linear upgrades. There are only about 20 guns in the game, but (almost) all of them are worth using. The linear upgrades to equipment come from research upgrades.
"Squad points" work the same way as Talent Points in the first game. They're not shared or anything, so it's kind of a weird thing to call them. The only real difference is that a lot of skills were consolidated, and you change your party 'build' by swapping characters in and out, rather than by choosing different skills for the same characters.

2) Equipment is still in the game, but every piece you get is unique and meant as a sidegrade to other equipment, instead of being a long series of tiny, incremental linear upgrades. There are only about 20 guns in the game, but (almost) all of them are worth using. The linear upgrades to equipment come from research upgrades.
"Squad points" work the same way as Talent Points in the first game. They're not shared or anything, so it's kind of a weird thing to call them. The only real difference is that a lot of skills were consolidated, and you change your party 'build' by swapping characters in and out, rather than by choosing different skills for the same characters.
Thank you very much. The demo was a bit overwhelming coming from eight or so playthroughs of ME1. The ammo type being a skill-set is... interesting. I'm going to have to research "research upgrades" in order to understand this change. :lol

Montresor

I just unlocked the
Collector Ship
mission on insanity. If anyone is interested, after beating the
Horizon
mission, I did the following missions before the former mission was unlocked:
recruited Tali, recruited Thane, and gained the loyalty of Jacob, Grunt, and Mordin
. No side missions in between.

I'm in for a world of pain though, aren't I? I feel like if I can get through this next mission on insanity, it will be smooth sailing towards 1030'ing the... ahem, 1055'ing the game.

I've downloaded Overlord but I don't think I'll touch it on my insanity run-through. Gonna have to load up my main file (the one I plan to export to ME3) for that.

Wiggum2007

They need to bring back the armor from ME1 for Femshep. ME2 armor is so bulky and bleh looking, at least on the female model. Especially those shoulder pads. I miss my sleek ME1 medium armor.

Lime

Wiggum2007 said:
They need to bring back the armor from ME1 for Femshep. ME2 armor is so bulky and bleh looking, at least on the female model. Especially those shoulder pads. I miss my sleek ME1 medium armor.

Colossus armor. mmmmmmhhhh.

Patryn

afternoon delight said:
Thank you very much. The demo was a bit overwhelming coming from eight or so playthroughs of ME1. The ammo type being a skill-set is... interesting. I'm going to have to research "research upgrades" in order to understand this change. :lol

You can respec Shepard at any time, for a small cost of some Element Zero.

After playing the demo and really enjoying it, I find myself wondering - is there any way to remove those stupid team heads at the bottom of the screen?

Is there anyway to gain a teammates loyalty if you somehow messed up their mission that you have to do in order to gain their loyalty? In the early parts of the recruiting process I wasn't aware of how the loyalty system was setup so I can't even remember where I went wrong in the first place. It really bugs me not having all my crew loyal, I'M COMMANDER SHEPHERD DAMNIT!

Second, has anyone had a chance to play through the newest DLC that just released at the worst time ever? I didn't even know it was coming out with the E3 clusterf***. Would love to hear some thoughts/impressions and whatever you'd like to add. THANKS

Wallach

Mizzou Gaming said:
Is there anyway to gain a teammates loyalty if you somehow messed up their mission that you have to do in order to gain their loyalty? In the early parts of the recruiting process I wasn't aware of how the loyalty system was setup so I can't even remember where I went wrong in the first place. It really bugs me not having all my crew loyal, I'M COMMANDER SHEPHERD DAMNIT!

Second, has anyone had a chance to play through the newest DLC that just released at the worst time ever? I didn't even know it was coming out with the E3 clusterf***. Would love to hear some thoughts/impressions and whatever you'd like to add. THANKS

The Overlord DLC is pretty awesome, I think. Story-wise it is the best one they have done. There are no new weapons or items in this DLC, so you can just focus on the mission/plot and not worry about missing anything (though there is an achievement you could miss, I suppose).

Dresden

Wallach said:
Insanity is perfectly fine if you don't play NG+. It's not really the level scaling per se, but the fact that they remove the hinge that the level scaling is swinging on (gear upgrades) while leaving both you and the enemy at a high level.
NG+ is perfectly fine for non-Soldier or Infiltrator classes. In fact, for Engineers or Adepts, NG+ on Insanity is easier than starting out level 1 in a regular Insanity new game.

Wallach

Dresden said:
NG+ is perfectly fine for non-Soldier or Infiltrator classes. In fact, for Engineers or Adepts, NG+ on Insanity is easier than starting out level 1 in a regular Insanity new game.

I rather strongly disagree with that. Losing the large cooldown and damage bonuses on tech/biotics from upgrades (much less the enormous weapon damage loss) is far worse than losing your power evolutions and weapon selection in the early game. I have only done new Insanity with Engineer, but I did both with an Adept and I thought the NG+ was definitely harder, especially up to and including
Horizon
. They seemed roughly equal when I got to the
Collector ship
and beyond, though.

Dresden

Wallach said:
I rather strongly disagree with that. Losing the large cooldown and damage bonuses on tech/biotics from upgrades (much less the enormous weapon damage loss) is far worse than losing your power evolutions and weapon selection in the early game. I have only done new Insanity with Engineer, but I did both with an Adept and I thought the NG+ was definitely harder, especially up to and including
Horizon
. They seemed roughly equal when I got to the
Collector ship
and beyond, though.
In my experience, having a rank 4 combat drone or singularity plus incinerate and warp, along with a maxed out bonus skill (domination and armor piercing ammo) and a bonus weapon from the
collector ship
made things much easier, especially on
Omega
. They take a few more bullets, but bullets are never much of a concern for engies and adepts, anyhow.

Patryn said:
They're there to give you status updates on what their current condition is, so they're not just for show.

Surely there was a better way to streamline the UI without having a head right under Shepherd's nose?

I want to like this game. I have to say, I fucking adored the first game, regardless of its 'flaws'. They seemed to have a good system going in ME. All I can see in a fire fight now is a big floating head. It's really distracting.

EatChildren

I like that in Overlord the overworld map with the Firewalker is much closer to the Bring Down The Sky DLC, but the combat with it is still fucking rubbish.

Maxed out level, fighting turrets demands I exploit the environment rather than zip around and fight. 1v1 is easy to get up close and personal, but if there's two they cut through you're health waaay too quickly.

There's one point in Overlord where an optional mining spot can only be reached by hovering up a couple of ledges, and the moment you get up there two turrets pop out. Its hard as nails to take them down successfully, and it only worked for me when the game bugged and they stopped popping up. I also really dislike the lack of any visible hit detection. You can only tell you're being shot when the warning siren plays and you start smoking.

I really like the Firewalker. Its concept is cool, its agility and mobility is rad, but its combat is rubbish. At least when fighting Thresha Maws in the Mako you had to circle around and keep moving. Despite being even more agile, too many situations with the Firewalker require you to camp behind a ledge or wall and have your rockets home around to their targets.

Patryn

EatChildren said:
ts concept is cool, its agility and mobility is rad, but its combat is rubbish. At least when fighting Thresha Maws in the Mako you had to circle around and keep moving. Despite being even more agile, too many situations with the Firewalker require you to camp behind a ledge or wall and have your rockets home around to their targets.

You did? I just sat still and jumped every time it spit at me. Worked great.

Patryn

Stallion Free said:
I thought if you sit still they come up from underneath you insta-killing you? Maybe the PC version added that.

I played 360 version, and as long as you were far, but not too far, the Maw would just sit there. Get too close, and it'd sweep down and insta-kill you. Too far, and then he'd submerge and you'd have to move.

Im guessing loading a savegame up that used to have the DLC installed wont work on a fresh install of ME2 ? Would love to re-install for the new DLC, but dont think i can be arsed to download all the rest.... (wish they had the same thing as Dragon Age built in, where it just downloads it all for you)

Overlord was well worth the 7 dollars. I loved the art direction in the environments. And just to let you guys know, the new Omega premium theme is really nice.

calder

I still haven't finished DA:O so I started up Steam to get back into it and damn if I didn't just look over at my ME2 box and install that again instead. :lol

Mr_Zombie

I started replaying Mass Effect 2 yesterday with all the DLC that I've missed (that is: most of them :lol ) and finally had the chance to use the Firewalker. Is there a way to zoom in while shooting with it? Because while it controls really great, fighting with this thing is just awful. I'm shooting missiles and only a percent of them actually hit the target because I can't aim properly with this thing and I also can't fly too close to the enemy because few shoots is enough for Firewalker to start burning :/.

Alucrid

Banned
What are the chances that Mass Effect 2 will ever come out with a GOTY edition? I have it on the 360 and want to pick it up for the PC, but want everything in one package.

Alucrid said:
What are the chances that Mass Effect 2 will ever come out with a GOTY edition? I have it on the 360 and want to pick it up for the PC, but want everything in one package.

I'd say it's a good bet. Probably will be awhile though.

X-Frame said:
Everyone here is really tempting me to buy it. I probably will this weekend.

I loveeeee ME2.

Get it! The ME series is one of the main reasons why I love my Xbox. Gamestop is having a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale this weekend on all their used games. Sadly, if you buy ME2 used, you will have to pay extra for Cerberus Network.

Wiggum2007

Mr_Zombie said:
I started replaying Mass Effect 2 yesterday with all the DLC that I've missed (that is: most of them :lol ) and finally had the chance to use the Firewalker. Is there a way to zoom in while shooting with it? Because while it controls really great, fighting with this thing is just awful. I'm shooting missiles and only a percent of them actually hit the target because I can't aim properly with this thing and I also can't fly too close to the enemy because few shoots is enough for Firewalker to start burning :/.

You'll just have to get used to it. I guess they just wanted to pay homage to the shitty vehicle combat the first game had as well.

Hyunkel6

Started my 2nd playthrough on insane as a sentinel. Is there a way to refill on ammo (especially heavy weapons ammo) and medigel after each main mission? I remember being able to refill on medigel on the Normandy in ME1.

voltron

Where did that DLC come from? It just come out? Ive been kinda preoccupied with Uni exams.

Is it worth it? Seems pretty cool based on the write-up on the dashboard... 5 new levels (what ever that means) and Hammerhead stuff finally.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
voltron said:
Where did that DLC come from? It just come out? Ive been kinda preoccupied with Uni exams.

Is it worth it? Seems pretty cool based on the write-up on the dashboard... 5 new levels (what ever that means) and Hammerhead stuff finally.
If you are a Mass Effect fan, I definitely recommend it. I really enjoyed the story arc and environments. I thought the ending had some really fantastic dialogue and the whole build up to it was really cool.

Mr_Zombie

Wiggum2007 said:
I guess they just wanted to pay homage to the shitty vehicle combat the first game had as well.

Then it's a really bad homage.
At least with Mako you could snipe (zoom in), so aiming was a lot more easier. It was also equipped with exploding missiles that hurt/destroy things within certain range, therefore it was easier to take care of a group of enemies. Not to mention, Mako had armour and thus more shoots were required for it to even start taking real damage.

S1kkZ

voltron said:

best dlc so far. buy it.

voltron

I actually really really dug the Mako stuff from the first game. It added an exploration element that was SORELY lacking from ME2.

Ill def check that DLC out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom