• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
It should be easier on NG+ because of all the skills you have? Although I guess if you're playing Vanguard or something you're sort of SOL.

Actually no.

You have all the skills, but you lack all the upgrades.

It is much harder (in a bad way).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lorddarkflare said:
Actually no.

I suppose the level scaling would skew it that way?
I don't know, I started the game on Insanity when I first played the game and almost regret playing it that way. There were many "fuck you, game" moments.

Peff

Wow, the HUB world is quite impressive! It looks very lively and even has a few animals here and there. If this is going to be the standard for ME3 I'll be very pleased :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Peff said:
Wow, the HUB world is quite impressive! It looks very lively and even has a few animals here and there. If this is going to be the standard for ME3 I'll be very pleased :D

What does 'HUB' stand for?

Peff

Jedeye Sniv said:
What does 'HUB' stand for?

Well, I think it's not actually an acronym, it should be Hub :$ It's the part of the world where you get to the "real" missions, like the uncharted worlds in ME1, Peach's Castle in Mario 64...

Lunchbox

Banned
Peff said:
Well, I think it's not actually an acronym, it should be Hub :$ It's the part of the world where you get to the "real" missions, like the uncharted worlds in ME1, Peach's Castle in Mario 64...

how many real missions?

2San

lorddarkflare said:
Actually no.

One of the reasons why I'm not replaying it. I mean come one I don't care if they sped up the mining, I simply don't want to go trough that all again. Not to mention the lack of ways to make money. I haven't touched it since release.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've done 2 so far as well. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Had an awesome renegade moment just now where I blew a Loki mech's head off :lol

Wallach

Edgeward said:
You monster....

What's the work around for the game crashing on when editing my hotkey powers? I want to play adept without constantly pausing this time. And for fuck sake's Bioware, fix this and release a patch.

For me, it seemed to crash if my cursor was moving when I "dropped" the skill into the slot. Try to make sure the cursor is still when you release the mouse button.

Edit - I really hope today's Overlord release for PC comes with the patch, so ridiculous that this crash still exists (not to mention I'm very tired of the squad ammo bug).

firehawk12 said:
I suppose the level scaling would skew it that way?
I don't know, I started the game on Insanity when I first played the game and almost regret playing it that way. There were many "fuck you, game" moments.

I too started on insanity, but I had the almost opposite reaction; Lots of fuck awesome moments. Then again, I am pretty good at breaking RPG systems (Also started Dragon Age on Nightmare).

And yeah, it is the level scaling that fucks things up. Both you and the enemy are th same level, but they have fully upgraded gear, you do not.

2San said:
One of the reasons why I'm not replaying it. I mean come one I don't care if they sped up the mining, I simply don't want to go trough that all again. Not to mention the lack of ways to make money. I haven't touched it since release.

Big oversight on their part, but I suppose they thought that we would just love to replay the mini-game :)lol ).

One of the biggest reasons why I am happy I got the Pc version. Halfway through the game, I went to town on the .ini files.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Peff said:

I see, why do you write it all in caps then? Are you one of those people that writes MOD or VALVe as well?

On-Topic, I'm really looking forward to this DLC, will be buying tonight.

Wallach

lorddarkflare said:
I too started on insanity, but I had the almost opposite reaction. Lots of fuck awesome moments. But then again, I am pretty good at breaking RPG systems (Also started Dragon Age on Nightmare).

And yeah, it is the level scaling that fucks it up. Both you and the enemy are th same level, but they have fully upgraded gear, you do not.

Insanity is perfectly fine if you don't play NG+. It's not really the level scaling per se, but the fact that they remove the hinge that the level scaling is swinging on (gear upgrades) while leaving both you and the enemy at a high level.

Wallach said:
Insanity is perfectly fine if you don't play NG+. It's not really the level scaling per se, but the fact that they remove the hinge that the level scaling is swinging on (gear upgrades) while leaving both you and the enemy at a high level.

it was pretty easy (especially compared to something like Gears of War on anything but easy).

And yeah, I know it is not directly the level scaling that is the issue (though if you think of upgrades as being stats you get for being at a specific level, then it might as well be. In that case you start at level 1, the enemy at 30(or w/e)).

Peff

Jedeye Sniv said:
I see, why do you write it all in caps then? Are you one of those people that writes MOD or VALVe as well?

On-Topic, I'm really looking forward to this DLC, will be buying tonight.

Nah, I wasn't sure and ended up picking the wrong choice. If only the magic blue text existed in real life :( :lol

BTW, to those playing, be careful when picking up the packages because they're only saved after completing a mission, so if you pick up five and die, you'll have to pick them up again. I suppose it's best to get two at a time.

2San

lorddarkflare said:
Big oversight on their part, but I suppose they thought that we would just love to replay the mini-game :)lol ).

One of the biggest reasons why I am happy I got the Pc version. Halfway through the game, I went to town on the .ini files.
Bought mass effect 1 on the 360 and simply wanted to continue that tradition. :( I'll probably replay it all before the release of ME3. I'm still hoping they will somehow release a patch or dlc that will change the NG+ system.

Peff

Finished! It's actually four missions plus the collectables. Probably Bioware's best DLC to date, I think. It didn't bridge anything, but it was a very enjoyable two hours of Mass Effect 2 with an uncharted planet which isn't bad at all. The "story" missions were similar to the ones in the game, with a few light puzzles and the waist-high structures a bit better integrated, but where it really shines is the hub world. If they manage to make the transitions between the hub and the missions seamless (just let me choose my squad once and let me change it in the menu if I want) and some more verticality for the exploration ME3 will be awesome. I hope they can cram in 20 or so of these as sidequests.

Lunchbox

Banned
this is their best dlc easily

took them long enough but they finally got the vehicle sections right. the way you platform through and fight in a open ended area to collect the data packets in the over world is how mining shouldve been in the game. hope they flesh it out and make this the mining part of Mass3.

Landing in a planet, fighting some stuff while exploring/platforming to get the minerals with the hammerhead is amazing

Lakitu

st5fu
Completed. Definitely the best ME 2 dlc yet. I guess the one that is the most similar to Bring Down the Sky. A hub planet (not huge by any means, but very pretty) where you're rewarded for exploration (it was a bitch looking for that last data pack).

I think the Hammerhead this time was more enjoyable than it was in Firewalker, so that's a plus. Just a shame you can't actually exit the vehicle.

The DLC itself, is varied enough through mission to mission. I really enjoyed it, a nice follow up to Kasumi. I think fans are going to like this one.

IoCaster

2San said:
Bought mass effect 1 on the 360 and simply wanted to continue that tradition. :( I'll probably replay it all before the release of ME3. I'm still hoping they will somehow release a patch or dlc that will change the NG+ system.

They added NG+ late in the dev cycle. The option wasn't originally intended to be in the game. On the old BioWare boards they made a thread asking for feedback and the overwhelming response was to please bring it back. The devs came in to work on their personal time and shoehorned it in. That's why it's not as full featured as the NG+ in ME.

dekjo

From a Joystiq interview.

Hudson says, "We're pulling in probably over a thousand variables from Mass Effect 2 into Mass Effect 3 if you're importing your save game."

Not surprised they're talking numbers this big, but after ME2 I'm certainly not expecting these variables to make much of an impact.

I got a steam update, looks like the update is live

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/129/index/2889711

http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-patches

Changes to 1.02

* Reduced the amount mining time required to acquire all upgrades.
* Fixed an issue where DLC weapon selections would appear blank on the Weapon Loadout screen after removing DLC.
* Fixed an issue where heavy weapon crosshairs sometimes remain on screen after entering a vehicle.
* Fixed an issue where enemies sometimes 'pop-up' onto cover after taking damage.
* Fixed an issue where Grunt's loyalty power sometimes doesn't unlock.
* Fixed an issue where the Squad screen wouldn't update properly after removing the Alternate Appearance Pack #1 DLC.
* Fixed an issue where save games that used DLC while offline could not be loaded.
* Fixed an issue where the active save career would sometimes change after loading saves with unmounted DLC.
* Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes crash during the Jarrahe mission when using Windows 7 (64-bit).
* Fixed an issue where ammo powers activated by a henchman would sometimes overwrite the players active ammo power.
* Fixed an issue where under certain circumstances, spacebar would not activate objects.
* Fixed an issue where Loading saves while DLC is unmounted will change your active career.
* Fixed an issue where the text for some characters in the keybinding GUI would appear as English in foreign

Patryn

Looks like ME2 is going to be the PS3 version of MGS4: All talk, no action. I think the window for a possible port is closed.

At this point, I expect the trilogy will remain a MS exclusive, but any ancillary games will definitely eventually show up on all platforms.

Wallach

Downloading Overlord at the moment... I tested the hotkeys briefly after installing 1.02 and didn't manage to reproduce the crash, hopefully that is fixed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn, Overlord was fucking good. There was a great piece of new music (I think) during the final cutscene. Art as usual was fantastic. The Hammerhead gameplay is great as well. I loved the Firewalker pack so it's good to have more of it here with new twists thrown in. The variety in environments is superb.

My favorite moments were:
taking out the Geth cannon while it targeted you and the final segment before the ending where everything is basically Tron. The effects in both those sequences look awesome.

While it doesn't really tie into main story, it's a really nice piece about the darker side of Cerberus. I really want more DLC along these lines (set up mission > hub > couple missions to tackle in any order > finale, all on one world with locations as nice varied as this) and an expansion because I am a junkie for anything Mass Effect.

For the first time, I did experience a couple crashes though :(

masseffect22010-06-151a2y8.jpg

masseffect22010-06-151026f.jpg

masseffect22010-06-15172qy.jpg

masseffect22010-06-151145f.jpg

masseffect22010-06-151h0qu.jpg

FrankT

Patryn said:
Looks like ME2 is going to be the PS3 version of MGS4: All talk, no action. I think the window for a possible port is closed.

At this point, I expect the trilogy will remain a MS exclusive, but any ancillary games will definitely eventually show up on all platforms.

We're people expecting this today? Didn't really see that happening yet, but eventually. Anyhow port talk meh.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bought and finished Overlord.

Really, really enjoyed it. BioWare were talking out of their ass when they said this would have more dialogue though. There's hardly any. Luckily the dialogue that is there is great, and the story is pretty great even if it doesn't add much to the base Mass Effect 2 plot.

Considering the price I'd say its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom