• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
voltron said:
I actually really really dug the Mako stuff from the first game. It added an exploration element that was SORELY lacking from ME2.

Ill def check that DLC out though.
Yeah I enjoyed using the Mako a lot as well so the Hammerhead was a real treat when it blew the Mako away in terms of controls.

kai3345

Banned
voltron said:
I actually really really dug the Mako stuff from the first game. It added an exploration element that was SORELY lacking from ME2.

Ill def check that DLC out though.
You'll probably like the Overlord DLC then

Dresden

Mr_Zombie said:
Then it's a really bad homage.
At least with Mako you could snipe (zoom in), so aiming was a lot more easier. It was also equipped with exploding missiles that hurt/destroy things within certain range, therefore it was easier to take care of a group of enemies. Not to mention, Mako had armour and thus more shoots were required for it to even start taking real damage.
That reminds me, in ME1 I didn't realize that the Mako had the missle/explosive attack until halfway through my second playthrough, when I accidentally fired it. Made things so much easier. :lol

Montresor

I'm close to the last mission on insanity. I now just have to unlock it. I've done four loyalty missions but the game hasn't budged.

It has been way, way, way easier than I expected. Most of it has been a breeze.

ME2 will be my 10th completed 360 game. :D

X-Frame

Crazypanda_85 said:
Get it! The ME series is one of the main reasons why I love my Xbox. Gamestop is having a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale this weekend on all their used games. Sadly, if you buy ME2 used, you will have to pay extra for Cerberus Network.

Yeah I have ME2 already I'm just contemplating buying this DLC.

I have Transformers coming on Tuesday so not sure I want to get it yet. I feel I may want to wait until I'm in a lull period in games and go back and play ME2 again.

I'm playing my first play-through right now. Couldn't get into the first one but this one isn't bad because it's a RPG shooter, which I can appreciate more (sorry to purists)!

But I had a question. Does the answers I give during the dialogue determine the outcome of my character? Is it like Fable where I become good or evil?

I just played through a level three times just to see the difference.

Am I being to anal with this and should I just play it through without worrying about it?

Sometimes I hate games like this. I want to play it right.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wiggum2007 said:
So just play however feels right to you. There are no 'right' or 'wrong' decisions, just use your own judgement.

I suppose it depends on the outcome you want though. If you want to get the "best ending" you'll have to do a bit of morality min-maxing.

Wallach

MrTroubleMaker said:
i'm on my moble, when i get bck to my pc i'll tell you where its at. missable

Weird, I totally don't remember getting one. I may have picked it up and just spaced it thinking it was credits or something.

Wallach said:
Weird, I totally don't remember getting one. I may have picked it up and just spaced it thinking it was credits or something.
A Heavy Skin Weave upgrade is in the last area on a dead
Geth
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Overlord:_Atlas_Station
After some ups and downs, the elevator crashes into the bottom of the shaft Tower of Terror style. Head out and you hear another of Archer’s logs. In the room is some refined palladium, a hackable computer, and a damaged geth that can be scanned for a Heavy Skin Weave

I just played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, both for the first time, in the span of six days.

One of the best gaming experiences of my life. ME2 has earned a spot among my all-time favorites, maybe even top three. Such a massive improvement over the original in every area and a bar-setter for RPGs and the rest of the industry as a whole. Nearly perfect. Other games will still be catching up to it three years from now.

The only complaints I can even muster are that I fear ME, ME2, and the unparalleled quality of both and unique continuity between them may have ruined me for other games. That, and the wait for Mass Effect 3 (Fall 2011 at the earliest oh god) seems excruciating. Not even a teaser at E3 this year.

I guess I can always replay 2 from another angle.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My highly sought after pros and cons for the Overlord DLC pack;

PROS
- Interesting story. Self contained from the overarching Mass Effect 2 plot, but nicely paced with a good sense of progression. Wraps up really nicely.
- Overworld with the Hammerhead is really nice looking and much more interesting than the original pack. Feels closer to Bring Down The Sky, or like an uncharted world from the original game.
- Hammerhead used partially in some of the missions, including as platforming. Doesnt really outstay its welcome and is good fun.
- Droids and Geth are your enemies, but are not overused. Each 'mission' involving them is a really nice length that doesnt outstay its welcome.
- Pretty good environment variety. Doesnt feel like its repeating the same environment for the whole package.
- New music is good.

CONS
- If I recall correctly BioWare said there would be more dialogue in Overlord. That is simply untrue. There's not a lot of dialogue at all.
- Everything still ends in a shoot-out.
- Hammerhead combat is rubbish, as it has been since it landed, due to the extremely weak shields and the lack of any observable hit feedback when being shot. Fighting two turrets essentially requires you to camp out of reach, such as behind a structure, and have your rockets home in.
- The optional mission on the overworld is pretty pointless, and only rewards you with an achievement. It would have been nice to get an upgrade, or even some codex information or story details. Instead its just a collect-a-thon that really doesnt serve any point other than a time sink.
- The 'moral choice' at the end is as paper thin and black and white as most of Mass Effect 2; you either do the obviously good thing, or the obviously evil thing.

Ultimately Overlord is more of the same, both for better and worse. On the plus side, it retains the great combat and feel of Mass Effect 2, and the actual execution of the mission and story is really enjoyable. On the downside, being familiar also shows its flaws, such as a lack of dialogue, crappy Hammerhead combat, and everything ending in a shoot-out.

But its overall quality is high, and if you're a fan of the game it would be hard to not enjoy it.

EatChildren said:
- The 'moral choice' at the end is as paper thin and black and white as most of Mass Effect 2; you either do the obviously good thing, or the obviously evil thing.

While I agree with you on the black-and-white nature of the Overlord DLC, I thought the "morality" aspect of Mass Effect 2 in general was much improved over the original, and that was one of my main complaints about that game. In ME1 the Renegade option was almost always cartoonishly evil, whereas in ME2 it was possible to still be a good guy but flex a little muscle or show a little attitude when appropriate. The broader-scale decisions were muddier as well, with justification for both options being completely plausible, rather than having the Renegade option consistently be to kill the homeless children or kick the starving dog, etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BrodiemanTTR said:
While I agree with you on the black-and-white nature of the Overlord DLC, I thought the "morality" aspect of Mass Effect 2 in general was much improved over the original, and that was one of my main complaints about that game. In ME1 the Renegade option was almost always cartoonishly evil, whereas in ME2 it was possible to still be a good guy but flex a little muscle or show a little attitude when appropriate. The broader-scale decisions were muddier as well, with justification for both options being completely plausible, rather than having the Renegade option consistently be to kill the homeless children or kick the starving dog, etc.

Depends the mission. At its best, ME2 did it very well, such as Tali and Legion's loyalty missions as well as a couple of others, but it still suffered from problems of the first where choices were black and white. Not always 'good vs evil', but an option where you could clearly swing one way or the other and not really spend any time thinking about the choice you'd make.

Overlord is a particuarly bad culprit of this. The story rocks and the ending is good, but the moral choice is paper thing.

Darklord

Banned
The 'moral choice' at the end is as paper thin and black and white as most of Mass Effect 2; you either do the obviously good thing, or the obviously evil thing.

I actually HATED the ending choice because it made no sense. The good thing is
blow the base up and have no chance against the reapers
or the evil thing is
save the base and it's hyper technology which could give the galaxy a fighting chance
. It's stupid because it turns into some human supremacy crap if you chose the latter rather than "hey, now we might not all die!".

X-Frame

I do hope that the morality choices are a lot less black and white in ME3.

Though I guess the
decision to wipe or turn the Geth and either keep or destroy the Collector base
could be considered in the gray area, since we don't know how that will affect ME3.

Darklord said:
or the evil thing is
save the base and it's hyper technology which could give the galaxy a fighting chance
. It's stupid because it turns into some human supremacy crap if you chose the latter rather than "hey, now we might not all die!".

While I do agree that they presented a potentially complex choice in terms of black and white, you should remember that
reaper tech is far from being trustworthy and has been known to have all sort of negative effects.

So blowing the shit out of it is more 'safe' than 'good.'

lorddarkflare said:
While I do agree that they presented a potentially complex choice in terms of black and white, you should remember that
reaper tech is far from being trustworthy and has been known to have all sort of negative effects.

So blowing the shit out of it is more 'safe' than 'good.'

Plus the person you're giving it to is kind of a racist asshole.

Dresden

A kick-ass ending would've been for Shepard to
take over the ship and start recruiting Krogans to his personal army with the Collector ship as his base, luring them in with promises of a genetic cure from Mordin. Then he could attack the Citadel, ally himself with the Turians, bone some Asari, and declare himself Imperator because the galaxy needs to be united against the Reaper threat. Then he could also have a harem.

nourali2 said:
Achievement Unlocked: Insanity.

Fuck yes!
I just started an insanity playthrough, recruited mordin and archangel and holy crap me2 is a different and better game on insane difficulty.

It must have taken me 15-20 tries just to pass the first room After you meet on mordin. I've fully got the hang of it now and the gun battles are some of the best I've experienced. You really have to use tactics and weapons wisely.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Darklord said:
or the evil thing is

More like put you right where the reapers want you,
if you save the base

K' Dash

FTWer said:
Well, there might be another DLC coming, so it won't be before that.

Maybe by early next year?

Thanks, I really want to play more, generally I'd have started a badass mofo playtrough, like I did for the first game, but can't stand scaning, I wasted so many hours to get all the upgrades and weapons :( hate it now.

LAUGHTREY said:
More like put you right where the reapers want you,
if you save the base

I
saved it
, cause I think it's gonna be great to see what happens in ME3 after that >:)

Pein

Banned
So can I play this one without playing the original? I have the first one but it plays like ass and I just can't seem to get in to it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pein said:
So can I play this one without playing the original? I have the first one but it plays like ass and I just can't seem to get in to it.

You can, in much the same way you can watch The Empire Strikes back without watching Star Wars or read The Two Towers without reading Fellowship.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pein said:
You shoulda grabbed it on PC the other day on Steam, it was 5$. And it plays just dandy on PC with mouse aiming and hotkeys for powers (makes the combat pacing much more fast and good as you don't have to pause ever really).

EatChildren

Darklord said:
or the evil thing is

I didn't think it was that bad. I chose the former on the basis that
Cerberus are utterly useless at handling anything, as evident from the first game, the second game, and the second book. Especially when its Reaper tech related.

FTWer said:
Well, there might be another DLC coming, so it won't be before that.

Maybe by early next year?

There's more DLC coming for sure. They're working on story based packages that are set post-ME2, and are designed to bridge the story from one game to another.

Very slightly off topic here, but why does Dragon Age get much more substantial DLC than Mass Effect 2? I don't want to say the quality bar for that game is lower, but is it that much easier to make DLC for Dragon Age? Mass Effect 2 sold over 2 million in the first week, and I don't believe that Dragon Age sold better than that. Yet it gets Awakening that nets around 25 hours of game time, and Mass Effect 2 gets 2-3 hour DLC missions. How does this happen.....doesn't EA own Bioware? What people would give for 20 hour DLC in this game! Popular opinion is that the worst part of Mass Effect 2 was that it ended. EA and Bioware's failure to capitalise on the potential for substantial DLC in Mass Effect 2 astounds me.

EatChildren

Bungieware said:
Very slightly off topic here, but why does Dragon Age get much more substantial DLC than Mass Effect 2?

Awakenings is the only thing I would class as substantial. Outside of that Dragon Age only really has Warden's Keep, Return to Ostagar, and Darkspawn Chronicles as buyable DLC. Not all of it is any good either :p.

I am surprised no expansion was announced at E3 though.

EatChildren said:
Awakenings is the only thing I would class as substantial. Outside of that Dragon Age only really has Warden's Keep, Return to Ostagar, and Darkspawn Chronicles as buyable DLC. Not all of it is any good either :p.

I am surprised no expansion was announced at E3 though.

Fair enough, but it's still at least twice as long as all the Mass Effect 2 DLC missions put together. Not to mention there's also 3 other Dragon Age DLC missions. I don't know why there's no Mass Effect 2 expansion, but I get the feeling that Bioware is directing at least 50% of its resources to Star Wars: TOR.

Montresor

MrCompletely said:
I just started an insanity playthrough, recruited mordin and archangel and holy crap me2 is a different and better game on insane difficulty.

It must have taken me 15-20 tries just to pass the first room After you meet on mordin. I've fully got the hang of it now and the gun battles are some of the best I've experienced. You really have to use tactics and weapons wisely.

Good luck.

So, I think I am almost ready to put away Mass Effect 2 for good. I've sunk 80 hours into the game. 58 hours into my first playthrough (and counting, since I'm using it to finish Overlord) and 22 hours for my insanity playthrough. Awesome, wonderful game, and my game of the year.

I like to ramble about many of the little things that make Mass Effect 2 so great, so I will do some of that right now. I was watching my brother play the convict's recruit mission, and I couldn't help but laugh when one of the prisoners pleads with Shepard. "I don't care what you do to me, buy me and get me out of here. Wait... you're going with Jack? Never mind then." :D :D

Also, I was watching my brother use Kasumi (I never used her much) and she is irresistibly cute. Sometimes she yells "Ha hah" when attacking an enemy. Well, she did that one time at very low health, and almost immediately after took a shotgun deathblow to the face. :D

Trouble

Banned
Bungieware said:
Very slightly off topic here, but why does Dragon Age get much more substantial DLC than Mass Effect 2? I don't want to say the quality bar for that game is lower, but is it that much easier to make DLC for Dragon Age? Mass Effect 2 sold over 2 million in the first week, and I don't believe that Dragon Age sold better than that. Yet it gets Awakening that nets around 25 hours of game time, and Mass Effect 2 gets 2-3 hour DLC missions. How does this happen.....doesn't EA own Bioware? What people would give for 20 hour DLC in this game! Popular opinion is that the worst part of Mass Effect 2 was that it ended. EA and Bioware's failure to capitalise on the potential for substantial DLC in Mass Effect 2 astounds me.
Because they started working on ME3 as soon as ME2 went gold. DA will probably see another DA:O sized expansion at some point, and probably will get a sequel in a few years.

Would you rather have ME3 next year, or some expansions and have to wait longer? I want ME3 as soon as possible.

EatChildren

Trouble said:
Would you rather have ME3 next year, or some expansions and have to wait longer? I want ME3 as soon as possible.

I'll be very surprised if ME3 launches in 2011.

Is Dragon Age supposed to be a standalone game, or has Bioware said that your story will continue in Dragon Age 2? If your savegame doesn't directly carry over then I think that's the reason why Dragon Age gets so much added content. It doesn't add any more variables to a story broken up in to three game releases. It's easier to add to Dragon Age because I assume they don't have to worry about messing up development of later games.

Bioware already has it's work cut out with making the choices from Mass Effect 1 and 2 matter in Mass Effect 3. An expansion pack or really substantial, decision heavy DLC would most likely add a ton of variables on top of variables that might not be worth the profit for Bioware if it makes Mass Effect 3 a harder game to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom