• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just conjecture, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Age receiving a full-fledged 20+ hour expansion versus the bite-sized offerings of ME and ME2 had more than a little to do with the target platforms.

Dragon Age is very much a PC game first, both in its history (as I recall the console versions were announced months after the PC) and play style. The PC has always been a traditionally viable market for true expansions, particularly from BioWare themselves.

Though ME2 leveled things a bit, the Mass Effect franchise as a shooter-RPG hybrid has always been a flagship Xbox 360 property, a platform more conducive to shorter DLC episodes than a true expansion (Halo 3 ODST notwithstanding).

It's tough. I love Mass Effect 2 and the whole ME universe. I want Mass Effect 3 to come out yesterday so I can completely lose myself in it. At the same time, I want BioWare to get the final chapter RIGHT, and considering how many variables are in play now between the first two games and what that means for development time, they can take as long as they need.

Q4 2011 seems like wishful thinking, Q4 2012 seems more likely, as far off and distant as that unfortunately sounds.

Some meaty, story-focused DLC bridging the gap between 2 and 3 (as I believe has been promised) would certainly help make the wait easier.

BrodiemanTTR said:
This is just conjecture, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Age receiving a full-fledged 20+ hour expansion versus the bite-sized offerings of ME and ME2 had more than a little to do with the target platforms.

Dragon Age is very much a PC game first, both in its history (as I recall the console versions were announced months after the PC) and play style. The PC has always been a traditionally viable market for true expansions, particularly from BioWare themselves.

Though ME2 leveled things a bit, the Mass Effect franchise as a shooter-RPG hybrid has always been a flagship Xbox 360 property, a platform more conducive to shorter DLC episodes than a true expansion (Halo 3 ODST notwithstanding).

It's tough. I love Mass Effect 2 and the whole ME universe. I want Mass Effect 3 to come out yesterday so I can completely lose myself in it. At the same time, I want BioWare to get the final chapter RIGHT, and considering how many variables are in play now between the first two games and what that means for development time, they can take as long as they need.

Q4 2011 seems like wishful thinking, Q4 2012 seems more likely, as far off and distant as that unfortunately sounds.

Some meaty, story-focused DLC bridging the gap between 2 and 3 (as I believe has been promised) would certainly help make the wait easier.

Dragon Age does have a 20+ hour expansion already.....? I see what you're saying about Dragon Age being a PC game that comes to 360 and Mass Effect being a 360 game that comes to PC, and obviously PC have a more mature market for DLC. But essentially it is the same Bioware that makes both Dragon Age & Mass Effect. Dragon Age has some of the same 2-3 hours expansions as Mass Effect does, except it also has a 20+ hour expansion that is available on both disk and download (Awakening).... and it released 4-5 months after Dragon Age: Origins (the full game) did.

There's so much left to explore in the Mass Effect trilogy, and although obviously there will games beyond that (fucking hell touch wood) Mass Effect DLC is not getting the focus it deserves from Bioware. Basic example of it's potential, give us an expansion focused on planet Earth... how would this not warrant a 20 hour expansion? The possibities for exploration are huge with an environment this diverse set in the future.

I've been playing through the original Mass Effect on the PC; I'm actually nearing the end. First of all, I'm finding that it's a much better game when it's not hampered by technical issues. Secondly, I've also come to the realization that I like the fact the ME and ME 2 play so differently. I wouldn't want the original to play like the sequel and vice-versa. Neither game is perfect, but they each have a unique feel that I don't think any other game matches. I feel like they got the important link right; both games feel like they are part of the same universe, continuing the story of the same man. I wouldn't mind seeing some drastic mechanical changes in the ME 3 as well.

On a side note, I don't have any issues with the way the Mako controls. The only problem I've had with driving the vehicle is the size and emptiness of the uncharted worlds and their ridiculous terrain. If you weren't expected to slowly climb endless almost vertical mountains over barren planets for miles and miles, I think more people would have been more positive about the Mako. I actually really enjoyed the story sequences that had you driving it.

Also I think the loot drop system is broken once your character reaches a certain level and that's when the inventory system collapses under its own weight.

Tom Penny

I bought ME2 off steam this weekend. It looks great when you can force AA :D I picked Sentinel class and I keep picking up assault rifles that I can't use. I basically am using hand guns. Do you eventually get to use them or am I stuck?

Montresor

Tom Penny said:
I bought ME2 off steam this weekend. It looks great when you can force AA :D I picked Sentinel class and I keep picking up assault rifles that I can't use. I basically am using hand guns. Do you eventually get to use them or am I stuck?

Yes, you eventually gain the ability to use them. At a certain point in the game,
you will be given the option of learning assault rifles, or shotguns, or sniper rifles. You may only choose one weapon type, so choose wisely

Montresor

The Overlord DLC has startled me a bunch of times.
Sometimes in a hallway all of a sudden you'll hear the loud unintelligible jabbering of the rogue VI, it can get frightening

The lush landscape of Aite is beautiful.

Several Bioware people have already said that the wait for ME3 wouldn't be as long as ME1 to ME2. So if everything goes as planned at Bioware, Mass Effect 3 will be released in less than 2 years and 2 months from Mass Effect 2's release. We will have Mass Effect 3 in our hands no later than the end of March 2012. It's possible if holiday 2011 isn't a shitstorm that we could see it then. But I'm thinking January 2012. Bioware/EA must have loved being a big fish in a small pond during that time of the year with ME2. Mass Effect 2 was the only thing to buy and talk about. Why not do that again?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Overlord DLC, on PC.

Bravo Bioware, Bravo. One of the top 3 looking games if you play it on the PC imo, and the story was just awesome (dlc).

X-Frame

Garcia el Gringo said:
Several Bioware people have already said that the wait for ME3 wouldn't be as long as ME1 to ME2. So if everything goes as planned at Bioware, Mass Effect 3 will be released in less than 2 years and 2 months from Mass Effect 2's release. We will have Mass Effect 3 in our hands no later than the end of March 2012. It's possible if holiday 2011 isn't a shitstorm that we could see it then. But I'm thinking January 2012. Bioware/EA must have loved being a big fish in a small pond during that time of the year with ME2. Mass Effect 2 was the only thing to buy and talk about. Why not do that again?

I assume now that they have refined their engine in ME2 (from ME1) they don't need to spend as much time with that and the general combat. Just add more content like more abilities, weapons, etc.

ME2 was a great middle-of-a-trilogy game that sets up the final chapter great so I might flip out a bit when I'm driving home with ME3 in my possession .. Infiltrator FTW.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just beat Overlord DLC on PC. Fucking WOW! ME2 is just so bad ass, but DLC like this make it more so. Yes, it's standard ME2 fare, but that's awesome shit compared to most other games. The overworld of the planet you visit is just jaw-dropping gorgeous.

I hope they keep handing out DLC like this until ME3 launches. Haven't done Kasumi yet, starting it up next.

Wallach

Diseased Yak said:
Just beat Overlord DLC on PC. Fucking WOW! ME2 is just so bad ass, but DLC like this make it more so. Yes, it's standard ME2 fare, but that's awesome shit compared to most other games. The overworld of the planet you visit is just jaw-dropping gorgeous.

I hope they keep handing out DLC like this until ME3 launches. Haven't done Kasumi yet, starting it up next.

Kasumi's DLC has my favorite music in the entire game, I think. Really fun mission, too.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Well I'm happy as hell.

Yesterday I tried to buy 1600 Bioware points to purchase all the DLC I didn't have. I kept getting an error on the page informing me my Card could not be varified, called the bank and the whole works, no reason for it. I emailed EA customer suport, woke up to an email letting me know they gave me the points for free.:D

Can't wait to jump into the game again with the new char and all the goodies!

USD

Just beat the game. Should have played on Insanity, Hardcore wasn't really that hard. Most of my deaths stemmed from teammates running out of cover and me being stubborn and not using medigels.

What the fuck is this shit? I can't go lesbian? It was in the first game, surely it's in the second one, right? Right?

And wow Sentinel Shepard/Samara/Jacob is a beast team. The Area Reave > Pull Field > Unstable Warp combo is deadly against barrier/armor enemies. Whored that shit all day during the suicide mission. Should have been using that squad before.

nubbe

I got the 360 version of the game today and I was really surprised to see Liara be the one to rush for Shepard.
I don't have a ME1 save the PC so I have only seen Kaiden or Ashley during that scene :p

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
terrdactycalsrock said:
do you get another party member in the overlord dlc?

No, no new party members. And to the person that asked above, 2 hours for Overlord sounds about right, depending on how long it takes you to explore and find everything. I tend to take my time and really look around/explore and it took me probably 2 hours, though I didn't keep track.

The story is great, though, as are the visuals.

Alucrid

Banned
Wow, the new DLC was great. Really, really good story. Fucking A.

Did you get the chance to kill him? I ended up doing the paragon action.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Alucrid said:

I had set the controller down so I missed the paragon action. The default was
I'm taking your brother far away and if you ever come for him, I've got a bullet with your name on it!!!!

Alucrid said:
Wow, the new DLC was great. Really, really good story. Fucking A.

Hey Alucrid. I remember you from the Xbox S model thread. How's your slim treating you? I love mines. I haven't had a 360 in about 3 or 4 months so It's nice coming back to the 360 and right in time for the new and improved model.

Back to the ME2:

I tried to replay ME2 a few months ago but for some strange reason I wasn't in the mood to play it. I just re-bought the game when I got my new Slim model this past Friday and the feeling I had back in January came back. I never got actually beat the game (even though I out around 30 hours into it), so I couldn't wait to finally play it. When I started playing it yesterday and today, I realized that even in the first few hours that there were a few things I overlooked or never did the first go round. This game reminds me of what I expect from a $60 game. This Friday I plan on buying Overload and the Katsumi DLC and take my time going through this masterpiece again :)

USD said:
And wow Sentinel Shepard/Samara/Jacob is a beast team. The Area Reave > Pull Field > Unstable Warp combo is deadly against barrier/armor enemies. Whored that shit all day during the suicide mission. Should have been using that squad before.
Is that applicable for an adept Shepard? Sounds like fun.

Wallach

ChoklitReign said:

Very much so. Really the optimal gameplay for an Adept should involve constant Warp explosion combos, so you should take at least one squadmade who can assist you in their creation at all times. I would prefer Samara/Thane over Samara/Jacob, though; you'd keep Samara's Pull/Reave and AR but exchange Jacob's Pull (with shotgun/pistol) for Thane's Warp (with sniper) for a good balance of weaponry and combo flexibility. You won't get Jacob's Squad Incendiary (and Squad Shredder is not a particularly strong replacement even if you have it) but it is a worthwhile trade-off.

Wallach

Kerrinck said:
Is it normal for my character to suddenly levitate and get stuck? Happened twice already(pc version)

Not normal, but a known bug. Only happened to me once (near that crazy "end is nigh" Batarian in Omega), but after that I just got used to smacking F5 (quick save) all the time, just in case.

Wiggum2007

Wallach said:
Very much so. Really the optimal gameplay for an Adept should involve constant Warp explosion combos, so you should take at least one squadmade who can assist you in their creation at all times. I would prefer Samara/Thane over Samara/Jacob, though; you'd keep Samara's Pull/Reave and AR but exchange Jacob's Pull (with shotgun/pistol) for Thane's Warp (with sniper) for a good balance of weaponry and combo flexibility. You won't get Jacob's Squad Incendiary (and Squad Shredder is not a particularly strong replacement even if you have it) but it is a worthwhile trade-off.

I've become way too addicted to the Adept class, I try to play the game with one of the other classes but I don't enjoy myself at all, I just feel completely lost and unfulfilled without my Pull/Warp, Pull/Throw, and Singularity/Warp combos. :lol

I'm finishing up my second Mass Effect playthrough and getting ready for my second Mass Effect 2 playthrough. All of the sudden, I find myself geeking out over the ME universe. I've been reading the wiki and downloading the soundtrack. I was even considering buying the books. It might be just because I'm all excited about it right now but I think the Mass Effect Universe may be the best thing to come out of this generation.

I would pay just about anything for a Mass Effect technical manual right now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Felix Lighter said:
I'm finishing up my second Mass Effect playthrough and getting ready for my second Mass Effect 2 playthrough. All of the sudden, I find myself geeking out over the ME universe. I've been reading the wiki and downloading the soundtrack. I was even considering buying the books. It might be just because I'm all excited about it right now but I think the Mass Effect Universe may be the best thing to come out of this generation.

I would pay just about anything for a Mass Effect technical manual right now.
Same here, I bought the books because I was so desperate for a Mass Effect fix. They are pretty entertaining if you are into the universe. I'm definitely going to pick up the 3rd one as well because this DLC is taking to long to come out and keeps leaving me wanting more.

Probably been asked before in this thread, but after the demo of ME2 came out I finally tried the game and was super impressed :D

The question now is: Should i play ME1 first, does it feel the same as ME2? Or should I just start with ME2?

For the info, I don't play so many RPG's (the only two this gen being Fallout 3 and FF13) so I think playing through both games seems like a bit of a big jump.

Dresden

ResidentDante said:
Probably been asked before in this thread, but after the demo of ME2 came out I finally tried the game and was super impressed :D

The question now is: Should i play ME1 first, does it feel the same as ME2? Or should I just start with ME2?

For the info, I don't play so many RPG's (the only two this gen being Fallout 3 and FF13) so I think playing through both games seems like a bit of a big jump.
ME1 first, mainly because it's a great game on its own. And you have the benefit of carrying over a save that keeps all your EARTH SHATTERING decisions. I couldn't believe the impact that some of my choices made. I recommended that a couple keep their child, for example, and in the second game THE CHILD GREW UP AND JOINED MY PARTY. It was amazing.

Best Adept party is probably Miranda/Garrus. Squad ArP ammo, double Overload, Unstable Warp from Miranda and Concussive from Garrus. Garrus can also use rifles to good effect.

Dresden said:
ME1 first, mainly because it's a great game on its own. And you have the benefit of carrying over a save that keeps all your EARTH SHATTERING decisions. I couldn't believe the impact that some of my choices made. I recommended that a couple keep their child, for example, and in the second game THE CHILD GREW UP AND JOINED MY PARTY. It was amazing.
Thanks for the info! Got a couple of other games to finish off, after that I will be jumping in, ME1 is super cheap at my store now too :D

Mr_Zombie

ResidentDante said:

Mass Effect 1 is more RPG-ish than ME2, but it's still mostly just a tps shooter with RPG elements.

And yes, play the game, at least the main campaign (without sidequest). The game has some technical and gameplay (mostly concerning UI) issues, but it's great nonetheless. The atmosphere, the story and characters all are worth playing it ;). And I wouldn't call it "big jump" - you can beat ME1 with doing every sidequest and collecting every collectable stuff in about 30 hours; doing just the main missions would take much less.

Not to mention, even though choices you're making in ME1 don't have that big impact on ME2 as one would think, it's still nice to meet someone you met in first game or see that what you did then have some effect in ME2.

Mr_Zombie said:
Mass Effect 1 is more RPG-ish than ME2, but it's still mostly just a tps shooter with RPG elements.

And yes, play the game, at least the main campaign (without sidequest). The game has some technical and gameplay (mostly concerning UI) issues, but it's great nonetheless. The atmosphere, the story and characters all are worth playing it ;). And I wouldn't call it "big jump" - you can beat ME1 with doing every sidequest and collecting every collectable stuff in about 30 hours; doing just the main missions would take much less.

Not to mention, even though choices you're making in ME1 don't have that big impact on ME2 as one would think, it's still nice to meet someone you met in first game or see that what you did then have some effect in ME2.
Thanks again for more info! :)

ajim

Finally beat ME2 after 67 hours of gameplay. I beat the main quest, sidequests and traversed to every galaxy/planet and probed/mined the absolute fuck out of every planet :lol

Amazing game. Loved every second of it.

Pros:
  • Everything.
  • Beautiful.
  • Engaging Story.
  • Characters are amazing and their side quests make them better.
  • More improved Paragon/Renegade rating.

Cons:
  • Would like to have seen the armour upgrades/styles play more of an impact.
  • The different grades and varieties in weapons were useless, I stuck with basic weapons the whole way through.
  • The illusive man needs my fist in his face.

Bring on ME3!

ResidentDante said:
Thanks again for more info! :)

I wouldn't avoid all side missions. I actually enjoyed quite a few of them. The biggest draw back to the majority of side quests is the mission structure but some of them do a good job of expanding the story. I would suggest you at least do any side quest that involves Cerberus just because of the role they play in ME 2. If you're going with the PC version, you can download Bring Down the Sky for free. That quest was excellent in my opinion. The original Mass Effect is an amazing game with some significant flaws but still easily stands up as one of my favorite games this generation. I just finished a playthrough yesterday so it's very fresh in my mind.

Felix Lighter said:
I wouldn't avoid all side missions. I actually enjoyed quite a few of them. The biggest draw back to the majority of side quests is the mission structure but some of them do a good job of expanding the story. I would suggest you at least do any side quest that involves Cerberus just because of the role they play in ME 2. If you're going with the PC version, you can download Bring Down the Sky for free. That quest was excellent in my opinion. The original Mass Effect is an amazing game with some significant flaws but still easily stands up as one of my favorite games this generation. I just finished a playthrough yesterday so it's very fresh in my mind.
Okay, probably will end up playing some side missions, I always do :D My pc gaming days are kind of over with old hardware, but I believe there is a game of the year edition or something for the 360 with DLC on it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I need to get in on that Overlord DLC, but I don't have the HDD space or time to get both right now and enjoy them the way I would want to...

Finally got around to Mass Effect 2 on 360. Why would an ME1 fan with the unique Tali avatar be late to the party? That would be because my already once-refurbed Xbox 360 died on me again around the time I was ready to pick up and dig in to ME2 and I sat out picking up another--and indeed whether to continue with the platform.

Anyway, finally was ready to dig in. And been loving the game, especially all the familiar faces popping up with interactions relevant to my primary lvl 60 imported ME1 character. Such as the most recent one, a former contact from Noveria encountered on Illium ("...better than an autograph").

Fortunately, my time away from gaming made it even easier to remain largely spoiler-free, though I did know in general--and am obviously very happy with--the enhanced role given Tali in the game.

Can't wait to play later. Heading out.

Kenaras

ResidentDante said:
Okay, probably will end up playing some side missions, I always do :D My pc gaming days are kind of over with old hardware, but I believe there is a game of the year edition or something for the 360 with DLC on it.

Just make sure to check out the sidequest on Earth's moon.

Facism

Any way i can speed up the planet scanner? So bloody slow, i'd rather be driving the Mako over shitty terrain then die of boredom doing this scanning shit again (2nd playthrough after Mass Effect sale :D )

burgerdog

Skilotonn said:
Man, I need to get in on that Overlord DLC, but I don't have the HDD space or time to get both right now and enjoy them the way I would want to...

After going through Overlord content, I have high hopes for ME3. Overlord looks better(a fuckton better), has more variety, and the story is great, it just makes the rest of the disc missions look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom