• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm pretty much on the same boat as you guys. For the record, I loved ME2 but there are certain aspects of ME1 that I miss. Of course, there's the plot. It's not that I didn't like it in ME2, it had it's moments but I agree with the feeling that nothing really happened.
ME1 had Shepard's induction to the Spectres, Saren's betrayel and the chase for him, meeting the reaper, the final battle. So much happened, but ME2 feels more like a side story for Shepard than an advancement of the overall plot.

I also just miss having so much to do outside of the main plot, sure ME1's side missions kind of sucked but after doing the loyalty quests and the main mission there is almost nothing left to do which is a bummer.

I love both games but taking the best of them could make Mass Effect 3 the best game ever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pretty much the same for me. I know its different for some other fans, but I still absolutely loved ME2, but idealy I'd like to see a blend of ME1 and ME2 for ME3. Both games have their pros and cons, with ME2 really improving some important areas while taking a step back in others. Its strange.

On the subject of story, outside of the obvious complaints, one thing that really bummed me about ME2 was how many secrets and revelations the game hinted at and then cock blocked.
EDI's locked information. The unstable star in Tali's recruit mission. Legion wearing Shepard's armor. How the Collectors are even able to survive so close to a supermassive black hole.
The game went so far as to put huge focus on these interesting secrets, and then goes nowhere with them.
I believe with the Collectors thing they even say "How can they survive there?". They specify that its something abnormal, and its never even slightly touched on.

I really liked the revelation that
the Collectors are Protheans
, but outside of that there's pretty much nothing else for the entire game, not until Legion comes along and really turns things upside down.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not sleeping with any humans with aliens on the menu.

On the topic of alien fucking, Mass Effect fangirls really have a creepy thing for Garrus :/.

Firebrand

Just finished the game since picking it up during the EA sale. Really liked it, my favorite release this year so far. A little bit annoyed that I was "punished" for delaying the endgame while exploring though I guess they hinted at it and I didn't take it seriously.

I wish I had found out about the loading time fix by fiddling with core affinities earlier, tried it now and it reduced my load times between Normandy decks from 30 to 5 seconds... might even had fed those fish more often. :lol

Is the DLC worth the money or should I spend it on Dragon Age? I'd be looking for actual mission / story / dialogue content.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I was gonna say this about Harbinger.

'If I mus tear you apart Shepard, I will'

I think he just wants some cyborg ass, he does not seem like he is a big fan of commitment...

Dresden

EatChildren said:
I'm not sleeping with any humans with aliens on the menu.

On the topic of alien fucking, Mass Effect fangirls really have a creepy thing for Garrus :/.
I'm sure most women has had the fantasy of being loved by a sentient bug-man at one point in their lives.

EatChildren

PedroLumpy said:
Did you talk to EDI after Joker unlocks her or whatever?

Yeah, but its still pretty underwhelming what she reveals. From memory, its just stuff like "Oh yeah there are Alliance officials who actually fund Cerberus" and other things that dont really blow the lid off the story or universe or anything like that.

For the game to basically say "I HAVE ALL THIS SUPER SECRET IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU CANT ACCESS", and then give you access to that and deliver nothing mind blowing, is pretty lame in my opinion.

Solo said:
As would I. ME2's gameplay, graphics and performance, and ME1's brand of storytelling, exploration, and scale. Even more simply put, I want ME3 to marry ME2's technical brilliance with ME1's artistic brilliance.

I think on the story end actually ME1 did a good job of showing Saren in small cut scenes throughout the story reveals. He is a badass, he hates you, and he has an evil plan to destroy the universe. ME2 had great story telling on the side of the good guys, but I never got any sense of dread from the collectors. Instead they were the enemy that I could destroy at my leisure.

I loved ME2 so this is a little bit of nitpicking, but if ME3 can be close to the game Solo describes it could be in serious contention for game of the generation.

I've been noticing some z-fighting glitches while playing this on the PC. It's usually pretty minor, like some flicking on Shepard's helmet or on small part of the assault rifle. Is this common or should I be concerned?

Solo said:
Im playing through ME1 again (I think Im on playthrough #8 now :lol - compared to 2 times for ME2), and once again its hitting me how badly they HAVE to bring back the exploration part of the game. ME1 feels gargantuan with so many planets to land on and explore with the mako. Yes, the planets feature copy and paste dungeons, but Ill take that anyday over how compartmentalized and "small" ME2 is, and the dinky little hammerhead.

And its not like the samey-ness of the planets and dungeons couldnt be addressed. Perhaps the happy medium is less planets to land on then in ME1, but each with unique assets. All I know is that there isn't a single moment in ME2 where you really feel the scale of the universe like you do in ME1 when you're on some uncharted world looking off into the horizon.

Well said! I agree 100%

Decado

Can't decide whether to get this on 360 or PC. Tried the PC demo and it seems to run fine (I don't have a great monitor, so I can't go very high res). Would this game benefit much from a widescreen presentation?

EatChildren

Felix Lighter said:
I've been noticing some z-fighting glitches while playing this on the PC. It's usually pretty minor, like some flicking on Shepard's helmet or on small part of the assault rifle. Is this common or should I be concerned?

I get tons of flickery glitches depending on what level I'm in. The usual place its easy to spot is on my Shepard's hair (female).

If you go to the official Mass Effect 2 website and watch the "Story so far" video, which is ironically compiled mostly of Mass Effect 2 footage, you can see z-fighting on one of the droids during a close-up snipe.

My ME1 was plagued with it as well, agian on the hair and again depending on where I am.

Wallach

Felix Lighter said:

It's common. It is more problematic in some areas than others. Anderson's office is notorious for lots of z-fighting problems.

Lo-Volt

EatChildren said:
Romance or bust.

Speaking of which, I still want the chance to enjoy the taste of Dr. Chakwas or Joker. But no, we get to have romances with sapient beings with a very different anatomy. I'm enjoying my newest playthrough of ME1 myself, otherwise.

Solo said:
:lol

For realz though, Im pulling my Ashley romance through the entire trilogy. My most favorite xenophobic she-man in the galaxy!

haha,
she was such a bitch that it wasn't even a thought during the choice between kaidan and her in ME1, even if kaidan is as bland as it gets. i'm all about liara, i want to do the captain kirk thing.

i haven't played ME2, but the demo was awesome. i appreciate the DRAMATIC improvement in shooting and not having to fiddle around with equipment. i couldn't care less that the story doesn't go anywhere, cuz even tho ME1 had a big plot going, that plot happened to suck.

Damn, just finished Mass effect 1 and really loved it. Can't wait to play this one but I'm so broke after Steam sales ! I wish I have 30 bucks left to buy it now :(

Solo said:
:lol

For realz though, Im pulling my Ashley romance through the entire trilogy. My most favorite xenophobic she-man in the galaxy!

Maybe your Ashely is still a racist, but I converted her to the logical side.... with my penis.

Okay I really just paragon'd the shit out of her until she started being less bitchy to the non-human members of the crew.

EatChildren said:
I get tons of flickery glitches depending on what level I'm in. The usual place its easy to spot is on my Shepard's hair (female).

If you go to the official Mass Effect 2 website and watch the "Story so far" video, which is ironically compiled mostly of Mass Effect 2 footage, you can see z-fighting on one of the droids during a close-up snipe.

My ME1 was plagued with it as well, agian on the hair and again depending on where I am.

Wallach said:
It's common. It is more problematic in some areas than others. Anderson's office is notorious for lots of z-fighting problems.

Thanks. It became very distracting during Tali's loyalty mission. The front of Shepard's helmet would keep flicker during conversations. I also notice some while playing the Overlord assignment.

After I posted that last comment, I started playing again and a crazy graphical glitched happened during Garrus's loyalty mission. That freaked me out. I did a quick google search and apparently it's another common issue.

So I completed the game today, and I had every squad member with full loyalty except Jack. I did not use her for any of the endgame team choices, and yet she still died. Is it just because she isn't loyal?

Wallach

Felix Lighter said:
After I posted that last comment, I started playing again and a crazy graphical glitched happened during Garrus's loyalty mission. That freaked me out. I did a quick google search and apparently it's another common issue.

Yes. Towards the end the game starts to trip balls completely on PC. Best to just finish your business quickly and move on. :lol

MyEpitomeCliché said:
So I completed the game today, and I had every squad member with full loyalty except Jack. I did not use her for any of the endgame team choices, and yet she still died. Is it just because she isn't loyal?

Unfortunately yes.

Firebrand

Been thinking of my outcome of ME2, not a perfect one. I'm still slightly tempted to "cheat it" by reloading an earlier save and make the correct decisions, but I'm think I'm gonna roll with this one for ME3.

Nearly entire crew got pushed down the collector blender while I was doing loyalty missions. I'm gonna miss Kenneth (?) the engineer, rest of them, meh. Still a bit butthurt from getting getting scolded by Chakwas for playing the way the game otherwise encouraged me to, but I definitely see the error I made in delaying the mission. "This ain't no game!"

Thane died. Yes, I took the "stealth mission in vents HMMM" bait. I did suspect I should be sending Tali in, but I was scared to lose her more than any other squad member, and with those weird feet of hers I didn't think she was the right one to be crawling around. It's obvious now Thane was the wrong one ("oh god I'm not good with computers"), but hindsight is 20/20. I guess Legion and possibly someone else could have made it.

I have to say, if any single member was going to die the hero's death, I think Thane was a good "choice", wanting to atone for his mistakes and being terminally ill. A fitting ending for his character. I'm gonna miss that voice of his though. :(

I honestly don't think I could go into ME3 with a savefile where Tali or Mordin are dead though.

I played ME1 and ME2 nearly back-to-back, gonna be a long wait for ME3 now. :( Guess it's time to pick up Dragon Age.

MyEpitomeCliché said:

To make a role work they have to be both loyal and ideal for the task. Making the wrong choice can also cause someone else to take the fall. For instance, picking the wrong biotic to hold the shield will cause one of the other two squadmates to die.

EatChildren

Firebrand said:
Thane died. Yes, I took the "stealth mission in vents HMMM" bait. I did suspect I should be sending Tali in, but I was scared to lose her more than any other squad member, and with those weird feet of hers I didn't think she was the right one to be crawling around. It's obvious now Thane was the wrong one ("oh god I'm not good with computers"), but hindsight is 20/20. I guess Legion and possibly someone else could have made it.

At least you didn't send Thane to lead the second squad, on the basis that Garrus "will probably be too tired" from leading the first one, only to immediately regret the decision (Thane leading? What the fuck?) and listen to his "Oh god, I'm dying" com chatter for the rest of the mission.

Rebooted that one before I even finished.

Solo

Im just waiting for ME3 to make the choices made at the end of ME2 largely irrelevant :lol Much like ME2 did to ME1, Im only expecting a few of the choices in ME2 to matter in ME3. Hell, with so many goddamn squadmates now between ME1 and ME2, and with new ones surely to be introduced in ME3, I wouldnt be too shocked to see Bioware force a canon end of ME2/start of ME3 on us, with a limited pool of available characters.

Saved everyone at the end of ME2? Too bad! Jack, Mordin, Grunt, Samara, Jacob, Zaaed and Kasumi are dead. Deal with it :lol

Arjen

Solo said:
Im just waiting for ME3 to make the choices made at the end of ME2 largely irrelevant :lol Much like ME2 did to ME1, Im only expecting a few of the choices in ME2 to matter in ME3. Hell, with so many goddamn squadmates now between ME1 and ME2, and with new ones surely to be introduced in ME3, I wouldnt be too shocked to see Bioware force a canon end of ME2/start of ME3 on us, with a limited pool of available characters.

Saved everyone at the end of ME2? Too bad! Jack, Mordin, Grunt, Samara, Jacob, Zaaed and Kasumi are dead. Deal with it :lol

That would seriously suck.

Dresden

Solo said:

Dear Shepard,

Thanks for [insert saintly deed]. I will never forget you.

Sincerely,

[questgiver]

dekjo

Solo said:
Im just waiting for ME3 to make the choices made at the end of ME2 largely irrelevant :lol Much like ME2 did to ME1, Im only expecting a few of the choices in ME2 to matter in ME3.
Sure, why not?

ME3 opens with the Reapers arriving. There's a big space battle. Bioware pulls the name of surviving crew members from ME2 and maybe goes so far as to say, "Hey! Tali, Garrus, Miranda, and Mordin are on your ship. Everyone else from ME1 are on space ship 2.
Except Liara, who died in ME2 Shadow Broker DLC

Then, the ME1 ship gets shot down and everyone there dies. The ME2 ship gets hit and looses control. Everyone tries to evacuate, but only Shepard lives. Player gets late ME3 title shot and game begins.
Believe

Mr_Zombie

Solo said:

Samara? What Samara? It's Morinth. ;]

I'm now replaying ME2 and even though on my first playthrough I thought that
the choice between Samara and Morinth was stupid, because there was really no reason for Shepard to not help her/his teammate,
right now I didn't regret
killing Samara
. Yes,
Morinth is an evil bitch that likes to kill others by mind-fucking them
, but at least she knows that she's evil; Samara, on the other hand, kills people thinking that she's the good one and said killings are justified by some stupid "code".

EatChildren

Solo said:

They've totally fucked any of the ME2 squadmates returning as squadmates in ME3, in my opinion, due to the ending. I'm specifically annoyed that
Garrus and Tali will probably not return in a significant way, despite being two of the most significant characters in the Mass Effect story arc outside of Shepard.

I actually redid that latest Insanity end-run I talked about earlier with what I knew worked to save everyone, versus choosing
Samara
as initial co-lead which guaranteed
Tali
got zapped in the first section.

It is still worth mixing it up deliberately to see the different results and scripts, but going into ME3 with a save file with a dead
Tali
for instance just ain't right...

Will be interesting to see how Bioware works around significant fan expectation regarding favorite characters. They can't just pull a
Tali/"Taleav"
with a relationship character like they did with Wrex.

Also, picked up the Kasumi and Overlord dlc.

Denzar

I picked up a used copy of the game. But I've noticed that I can buy ME2 new for about the same price somewhere else. Is the Cerberus network stuff worth it?

If it is, I'll sell the used copy and buy the new copy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Deepack said:
I picked up a used copy of the game. But I've noticed that I can buy ME2 new for about the same price somewhere else. Is the Cerberus network stuff worth it?

If it is, I'll sell the used copy and buy the new copy.
Well, Cerberus network gives you 1 additional squad-mate, (Zaeed) including his recruitment and loyalty mission.

You also get something else that I won't mention due to possible spoilers (Not a mission per say but it's still an extra)

And you also get the Firewalker missions.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :D

Aumann

Easy_D said:
Well, Cerberus network gives you 1 additional squad-mate, (Zaeed) including his recruitment and loyalty mission.

You also get something else that I won't mention due to possible spoilers (Not a mission per say but it's still an extra)

Do the codes have an expiration date?

Denzar

Easy_D said:

Seems like I'll buy the new copy then!

I rushed and forgot about the Cerberus network stuff only being available for non used copies.

If I can sell my used copy, no biggie.

Acidote

Ok, I've recruited everyone on Insane but
Legion
, no loyalty quests done because I don't want to do them. I want the Illusive Man to give me the mission to recruit
Legion
. Is it necessary to do something else aside from the recruiting quests or do I just have to fly around a bit?

Solo

Acidote said:
Ok, I've recruited everyone on Insane but
Legion
, no loyalty quests done because I don't want to do them. I want the Illusive Man to give me the mission to recruit
Legion
. Is it necessary to do something else aside from the recruiting quests or do I just have to fly around a bit?

IFF mission

Acidote

Meh, it looks like I'll have to do at least one more mission (as I haven't been on
the Collector's Ship
yet and the wiki says "This mission is automatically triggered when you complete at least five new missions acquired after the mission on Horizon" . So it's that, IFF and final mission.

Firebrand

Mordin is a flipflopper.

"Oh gosh. Destroy base? Save base? Destroy, save... Mordin?"
"Illusive Man is right. Valuable data. May be important in upcoming fight against Reapers. Keep it. Definitely."

"Hey Mordin. Remember that time when we we're gonna blow up that base and then we didn't?"
"Yes. Very bad decision. Don't trust Illusive Man. Irresponsible of you."
"B-b-b-but you..."
"Busy. Talk more later, Shepard."

Firebrand said:
Mordin is a flipflopper.

"Oh gosh. Destroy base? Save base? Destroy, save... Mordin?"
"Illusive Man is right. Valuable data. May be important in upcoming fight against Reapers. Keep it. Definitely."

"Hey Mordin. Remember that time when we we're gonna blow up that base and then we didn't?"
"Yes. Very bad decision. Don't trust Illusive Man. Irresponsible of you."
"B-b-b-but you..."
"Busy. Talk more later, Shepard."
:lol yep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom