• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

outsidah

Ok so I just got into the ME world and I am loving just about every minute of ME2. I really wish I had played ME since I am missing out on so much story.

When I complete ME2 would you all recommend I go back and play ME?

Peff

outsidah said:
Ok so I just got into the ME world and I am loving just about every minute of ME2. I really wish I had played ME since I am missing out on so much story.

Definitely, plus you can replay ME2 later on with the save game, but expect it to be rougher, especially the gunplay and framerate. You'll possibly lilke some other stuff more though.

markatisu

WanderingWind said:
XDpY8.jpg

That is great :lol

Patryn

outsidah said:

I'd always recommend ME1. It's my favorite game.

Just understand that it's a very different experience: The combat is rougher and it's very unpolished. It's much more of an RPG than ME2. I also warn you to expect plenty of texture pop-in and occasional frame rate drops.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Maybe your Ashely is still a racist, but I converted her to the logical side.... with my penis.

Okay I really just paragon'd the shit out of her until she started being less bitchy to the non-human members of the crew.

Why would you do such a thing?

She is much more interesting as she is.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Why would you do such a thing?

She is much more interesting as she is.

Oh don't worry. She's still clearly biased pro-human above all else.

But seeing her ice burn an entire political party of space racists was too hard to pass up. :lol

Edit: In truth I found the space racist angle wasn't nearly unique enough to be the most interesting thing about her(about 1/20 of the characters you meet are racists).

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Oh don't worry. She's still clearly biased pro-human above all else.

But seeing her ice burn an entire political party of space racists was too hard to pass up. :lol

Edit: In truth I found the space racist angle wasn't nearly unique enough to be the most interesting thing about her(about 1/20 of the characters you meet are racists).

I think you could bring this number quite a bit higher.

Also, I personally find her to be a pretty boring and sort of inconsistent (she is not the only one though), she just happened to be the best written character in Mass Effect.

sca2511

Been playing ME2, just finished ME. I sort of miss being able to roam around the planets, though I absolutely hated the controls of the APC-ish thing. I'm still going around recruiting characters, but so far the gameplay has been much less RPG and more TPS. I was trying to figure out how to equip my weapons with mods and ammo, found out that it's done by powers or hotkeys. Loving it so far, I didn't really converse with my crew in ME, so I missed some character development. Hoping I don't miss it this time around.

Is there any free DLC for the PC version?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
sca2511 said:
Is there any free DLC for the PC version?

If you own a new copy of the game then yes. You can get the Normandy Crash Site location to explore, the Zaeed character to recruit and do his loyalty mission, the Firewalker pack which includes the Hammerhead tank and a few missions, and a few Cerberus weapons (heavy weapon and a shotgun) as well as some Cerberus armor, and I think that's it.

Red

Patryn said:
I'd always recommend ME1. It's my favorite game.

Just understand that it's a very different experience: The combat is rougher and it's very unpolished. It's much more of an RPG than ME2. I also warn you to expect plenty of texture pop-in and constant inexplicable frame rate drops.
Fixed.

ME1 gives me motion sickness because it chugs so bad.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Crunched said:
Fixed.

ME1 gives me motion sickness because it chugs so bad.

The framerate wasn't that bad on the 360 version. It chugged in certain specific areas, mostly combat heavy ones.
It was rock solid 90% of the time in even the largest environments.

Speaking of which, I miss the epic scale of the levels from ME. I'm not talking about the planet exploring, but the actual levels.
Like the Feros mission in ME1. It had a town areas, with it's own combat sections. Later on separated by a large bridge & underground driving/combat areas. Then another small town hub area & again new & long driving sections & ends with a large multi-tiered skyscrapper area with a boss fight.

Nothing like that in ME2.

Olivero

Just went back into Mass Effect 2, only this time on my Panasonic g25. What an absolutely gorgeous game. Best looking game on 360?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Olivero said:
Just went back into Mass Effect 2, only this time on my Panasonic g25. What an absolutely gorgeous game. Best looking game on 360?

I think it is, at least in terms of both tech and art. Mass Effect 1 looked pretty damn good at times but all of the technical issues like the frame rate and tearing took it down several notches.
Red Dead Redemption has it's moments but overall ME2 is the best I've seen. I've heard good things about Metro 2030 but I haven't seen it yet.

outsidah

Per your comments I will be looking for a ME copy to start playing. I'm wondering how bad the combat will seem to me after playing ME2.

In other news, I finished ME2. I must admit it came as a surprise to me. Apparently I had been playing for about 28 hrs and didn't notice I had put in so much time into it! I had a great time getting my squad mates and doing their loyalty missions. My only gripe is that other than getting my squad mates and those loyalty missions, I didn't feel like there were enough "story" missions to use my new squad mates on.
I know the last mission was called the suicide mission and all, but I had hopes there would be at least another big mission after it to go kill some more stuff and find out more about the story.
I guess they set it up that way on purpose to continue on with ME3.

I lost Mordin by sending him down the shaft, Grunt by sending him to lead a squad, and Miranda got carried away by collectors at the end. Not quite sure why Miranda died, she wasn't loyal is the only thing I can point to. Perhaps I should have made her lead a squad?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's the best method for forcing AA on an nVidia card?

Is it through the nVidia control panel? I've given it a shot, and while it works it grinds my framerate down a ton. ME2 runs pretty damn well maxed out without it, so its not a big deal, but since it doesn't support a native AA option I was wondering if the control panel is the most optimised method for forcing, or if there's a better option.

I played both games as female shep. I started a male shepard game in ME2 and couldn't believe how flat his line delivery was.

if you care about the story and want the most immersive voice acting possible, you have to go female shepard. the voice acting is in another league.

EatChildren said:
What's the best method for forcing AA on an nVidia card?

Is it through the nVidia control panel? I've given it a shot, and while it works it grinds my framerate down a ton. ME2 runs pretty damn well maxed out without it, so its not a big deal, but since it doesn't support a native AA option I was wondering if the control panel is the most optimised method for forcing, or if there's a better option.
Everyone uses nHancer. ATI users have bigger problems.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ChoklitReign said:
Everyone uses nHancer. ATI users have bigger problems.
nHancer is really just the Nvidia control panel dressed up in a way that makes it actually useable. Anyways, judging from your performance complaints, just make sure you are forcing regular MSAA, 8x AA should be a sweet spot and stay away from edge-detect as that will also hurt your framerate.

Forcing AA through the ATI CP works just fine in ME2 and the only place I drop below 60 on a 5850 is on the bridge.

Denzar

Can you buy a pass to the Cerberus network?

I bought ME2 used, and the voucher is still in the box. I don't know if it has been used already, because I have no Xbox yet. I'm guessing it's used. :D

Is Zaeed and the other extra stuff worth it?

so, what's the verdict on the overlord dlc? worth playing?
played normandy, zaeed, firewalker and kasumi ones, but had to uninstall the game meanwhile, so i'm wondering if it's worthwhile to install it again just for the overlord dlc.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
kazuma_pt said:
so, what's the verdict on the overlord dlc? worth playing?
played normandy, zaeed, firewalker and kasumi ones, but had to uninstall the game meanwhile, so i'm wondering if it's worthwhile to install it again just for the overlord dlc.

Absolutely, it feels like ME1 again.

Feindflug

Deepack said:
Can you buy a pass to the Cerberus network?

I bought ME2 used, and the voucher is still in the box. I don't know if it has been used already, because I have no Xbox yet. I'm guessing it's used. :D

Is Zaeed and the other extra stuff worth it?

The stuff that you get when you get a pass for Cerberus Network is Zaed, a firewalker mision pack, some free weapons/armor and Normandy crash site...I wouldn't say that it's worth the 1200 points - Zaed is a great but underdeveloped character and the other stuff is definitely not worth the points.

Save your points and get Kasumi & Overlord DLC's, both are great.

Denzar

Feindflug said:
The stuff that you get when you get a pass for Cerberus Network is Zaed, a firewalker mision pack, some free weapons/armor and Normandy crash site...I wouldn't say that it's worth the 1200 points - Zaed is a great but underdeveloped character and the other stuff is definitely not worth the points.

Save your points and get Kasumi & Overlord DLC's, both are great.

Thanks man! Still hope that code has not been used. Would be sweet!

tjohn86

Just finished up the game and all I can say is wow. Going to go back through on insane now.

The only other achievement I didn't get was incinerate 25 enemies armor... any trick to that? Says I only got 6 through the entire game...

Doodis

tjohn86 said:
Just finished up the game and all I can say is wow. Going to go back through on insane now.

The only other achievement I didn't get was incinerate 25 enemies armor... any trick to that? Says I only got 6 through the entire game...
Take Mordin. Spam incinerate.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
WanderingWind said:
http://imgur.com/XDpY8.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
WIN. :lol

Question about Samara loyalty mission: [spoiler]Who's the better of the two? Morinth or Samara? Really tempted to get alien vampire, but if Samara's better then I'll have to go with her.[/spoiler]

Really enjoying the game, but they stripped down the RPG stuff :(, but they tightened the gunplay :).

Also since I was an adept, I was really excited when: [spoiler]I got to pick another weapon proficiency, (sniper ftw).[/spoiler]

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
tjohn86 said:
I did, does it actually have to DOT through their armor or something? Blowing it away with incinerate didnt seem to register.
Yeah, I think it has to be the finishing blow, to the targets armor.

Solo

Plywood said:

Question about Samara loyalty mission:
Who's the better of the two? Morinth or Samara? Really tempted to get alien vampire, but if Samara's better then I'll have to go with her.

Her spawn is the correct answer

Jerk

Banned
Plywood said:

Question about Samara loyalty mission:
Who's the better of the two? Morinth or Samara? Really tempted to get alien vampire, but if Samara's better then I'll have to go with her.

Really enjoying the game, but they stripped down the RPG stuff :(, but they tightened the gunplay :).

Also since I was an adept, I was really excited when:
I got to pick another weapon proficiency, (sniper ftw).

I would suggest the original.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Solo said:
Her spawn is the correct answer
Jerk 2.0 said:
I would suggest the original.
Need a tiebreaker, now. Also any reasons on why one is better than the other?

And question about Zaeed and Kasumi: Since you can only have 12 people(right?), is it possible to switch between Zaeed and Kasumi?

Jerk

Banned
Plywood said:
Need a tiebreaker, now. Also any reasons on why one is better than the other?

And question about Zaeed and Kasumi: Since you can only have 12 people(right?), is it possible to switch between Zaeed and Kasumi?

It depends a lot on your difficulty level.

On the normal-ish levels, the latter may actually be more useful as her ability does not have to combat the defenses.

On Insane, defenses are what need to be stripped, so the former is much better.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Jerk 2.0 said:
It depends a lot on your difficulty level.

On the normal-ish levels, the latter may actually be more useful as her ability does not have to combat the defenses.

On Insane, defenses are what need to be stripped, so the former is much better.
Ah okay.
Fimbulvetr said:
Original.
Bu-bu
vampire. :(

After playing NG+ with MaleShep decided to switch to my ME1 FemShep and do Infiltrator. Picked Insanity, heading to
Horizon
now, and I don't have Cain. Can you research it before this mission? If not, the
last battle
is going to be psycho, my MaleShep had
Widow & Cain
during that mission, and I still needed to reload couple of times.

Jerk

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
After playing NG+ with MaleShep decided to switch to my ME1 FemShep and do Infiltrator. Picked Insanity, heading to
Horizon
now, and I don't have Cain. Can you research it before this mission? If not, the
last battle
is going to be psycho, my MaleShep had
Widow & Cain
during that mission, and I still needed to reload couple of times.

Hmm, your best sniper Rifle + Reave should do the trick.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Hmm, your best sniper Rifle + Reave should do the trick.

Had basic sniper rifle + Warp Ammo. Anyway, either I've got better or Infiltrator somehow gives you godlike powers, because that was piss easy.:lol

Jerk

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Had basic sniper rifle + Warp Ammo. Anyway, either I've got better or Infiltrator somehow gives you godlike powers, because that was piss easy.:lol

The basic one is one of the best, and warp ammo is pretty good in this situation.

Also, Infiltrator does give you god powers.

Flyguy

I finally got around to playing this. Regarding DLC--is it all post-game stuff, or are there missions integrated into the main game. Basically, what, if anything, should I download now, and what should I wait on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom