• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Firebrand said:
Mordin is a flipflopper.

"Oh gosh. Destroy base? Save base? Destroy, save... Mordin?"
"Illusive Man is right. Valuable data. May be important in upcoming fight against Reapers. Keep it. Definitely."

"Hey Mordin. Remember that time when we we're gonna blow up that base and then we didn't?"
"Yes. Very bad decision. Don't trust Illusive Man. Irresponsible of you."
"B-b-b-but you..."
"Busy. Talk more later, Shepard."

Mass Effect 1, Turian Councilor:

-"WTF Shepard why would you kill the Rachni queen, you humans all loooove genocide!"
-"WTF Shepard why would let the Rachni queen go? You humans are all stupid"

Bastards :lol.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just finished my first play-through. I did all loyalty missions and every side mission and DLC before completion, finished right at 27 hours.

Man, what a game! Easily my GOTY that isn't called "Mario Galaxy 2".

End game spoilers:
The only character that died on me was Mordin, I sent him in as the "guy in the tunnels". I was sad to see him go, I really liked his voice acting, but I lived with my decision and didn't reload. I chose to blow up the station. Fuck the Illusive Man!

In reading some previous posts in this thread, how did people manage to have so many characters die in the end? What were the triggers? I didn't go out of my way to do things different and only Mordin died.

Such a great plot, I simply cannot wait until ME3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Diseased Yak said:
In reading some previous posts in this thread, how did people manage to have so many characters die in the end? What were the triggers? I didn't go out of my way to do things different and only Mordin died.

Bad choices and no loyality. Characters being unloyal pretty much sends them to their death, if you start sending the wrong people to do the wrong jobs you can lose everyone, even Shepard.

Diseased Yak said:
End game spoilers:

Such a great plot, I simply cannot wait until ME3.

Deliberately mixing it up/experimenting. After all, the game practically tells you the best choices via the attached descriptions during selection, never mind checking a faq. For example, knowing what does work, I later tried these as "not all the best choices, but how bad could they be?":
Tali vent (only expected choice), Samara lead first team, Miranda biotic, Grunt second team, Thane fly away
. That resulted in
Tali, Jack (active fighter; Miranda failed to do the biotic shockwave at the end), and Grunt dying
. Yikes.

I went back and "fixed" that runthrough only because that was to be a primary imported character for checking out what happens in ME3 for staying
loyal to Liara

Next time I'm thinking of
sending Jack into the vent--if she can be chosen--and maybe Grunt or Zaeed to fly the rescued crew away.
:lol And I'll let those results stick, maybe on my imported renegade character Zodde...

That character or another may also be going
without loyalty and/or the upgrades
. I'll be replaying this quite a bit more before ME3.

Rubezh

On my very first playthrough,
Tali
and
Thane
died, even though I had 100% loyality.
I chose Zaeed as squad leader and didn't buy the shield upgrade
. Not bad considering that was before I looked behind the curtain and read about the survival mechanics.

Rubezh said:
On my very first playthrough,
Tali
and
Thane
died, even though I had 100% loyality.
I chose Zaeed as squad leader and didn't buy the shield upgrade
. Not bad considering that was before I looked behind the curtain and read about the survival mechanics.

Yeah, I also lost
Tali
and
Zaeed
in my playthrough. I have no idea why
Zaeed died
, considering he was loyal to me, and
I didn't pick him for a role he couldn't handle
. On the other hand,
I lost Tali's loyalty after the scene with Legion

Hmm, new dlc sounds interesting, especially since I've been waiting for later for a sniper playthrough. Games so far have been Vanguard+
Krogan Claymore
, Sentinel+Shotgun, current Engineer+AR.

Been sniping while replaying ME1 as a Soldier/Commando on on the side, though.

kuYuri

Seda said:

Pics for Aegis Pack:

*Spoiler* I guess: http://i46.tinypic.com/2j1a1iv.jpg

2en68o3.jpg

28u04yf.jpg

2l9sbps.jpg

Jerk

Banned
Pankaks said:
Mass Effect 1, Turian Councilor:

-"WTF Shepard why would you kill the Rachni queen, you humans all loooove genocide!"
-"WTF Shepard why would let the Rachni queen go? You humans are all stupid"

Bastards :lol.

He just hates humans.

As for Mordin, yeah...

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
masterkajo said:
160 MS Points... not with me Bioware. Waiting for a real DLC like Overloard... Liara - Shadow Broker?? :D

It's paid DLC?

Bullshit, what the fuck is the Cerberus network for when some pieces of crap like this cost money?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BuckRobotron said:
Hmm, new dlc sounds interesting, especially since I've been waiting for later for a sniper playthrough. Games so far have been Vanguard+
Krogan Claymore
, Sentinel+Shotgun, current Engineer+AR.

Been sniping while replaying ME1 as a Soldier/Commando on on the side, though.

The Incisor isn't that good. Depends your play style. If you cant aim, its an alright choice, but otherwise its best given to a companion as they get some broken, uncanny accuracy with it.

If you're going to snipe there's no other choice than the Widowmaker.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
TheStringTheory said:
Looks cool, but I can't really justify the price.

I'm honestly baffled as to why people would even buy this stuff =/.

Jerk

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Same here. I just don't understand.

I believe this is because we are sane individuals.

A visit to their forums will demonstrate that this is not the case with the majority of Bioware fans.

Considered the new dlc, but nah, like other paid armor/gun dlc don't really want or need it. Still haven't even really used that Blood Dragon armor given via the Dragon Age connection.

EatChildren said:
The Incisor isn't that good. Depends your play style. If you cant aim, its an alright choice, but otherwise its best given to a companion as they get some broken, uncanny accuracy with it.

If you're going to snipe there's no other choice than the Widowmaker.

Speaking of aiming, I actually tried out the sniper rifle first time due to interest in the dlc by quick-starting an ME2 soldier and...no shaking?? What the hell, I just came off an ME1 game where half the fun was mastering the give and take of the zoomed in sniper rifle under duress. How could one not successfully aim this...? :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
BuckRobotron said:
Speaking of aiming, I actually tried out the sniper rifle first time due to interest in the dlc by quick-starting an ME2 soldier and...no shaking?? What the hell, I just came off an ME1 game where half the fun was mastering the give and take of the zoomed in sniper rifle under duress. How could one not successfully aim this...? :lol

That part in ME1 was TERRIBLE.
Couldn't shoot for shit. Even on a standing static object 5 feet away from you, it would be overtly hard with the base un-upgraded sniper.

FTWer said:
That part in ME1 was TERRIBLE.
Couldn't shoot for shit. Even on a standing static object 5 feet away from you, it would be overtly hard with the base un-upgraded sniper.

I found it NOT TERRIBLE. And the gradually improved sighting with upgrades worked in terms of ME1's system of asking for commitment to a weapon upgrade path. That plus the quirky system of working around overheating, going for max power allowing overheat on each shot or maxing heat absorption to get two quick shots/pause/two more. I dug that, too.

Like the Mako, it gave ME1 a unique character, hate it or...like it.

That is not to say, mind, that I dislike ME2's more typically straightforward system, where the easy aiming is counterbalanced by limited ammo, and weapon competency is assumed for the class. That works as it always has, just a shock to experience the ease of typical sniper gunplay after having just successfully wrestled with some ME1 sniper rifles.

Right, about to start my second play through of Mass Effect 2. I played it when it was released with the Cerberus License DLC, which was that little mission and Zaheed.

Right now I'm downloading the other free content to freshen up my second play through (going to use my freshly baked level 60 character).

But what was the general consensus on the paid mission packs. After a quick look it seems like the only substantial DLC is the Kasumi pack and the Overlord, is that right? Everything else is just costumes and armour.

Edit: Bought both Kasumi's Stolen Memory and the Overlord. Combined with all the free DLC and the patch that fixes scanning for resources and that I'll be using biotics, this second play through should be drastically different from my first. Can't wait.

X-Frame

Not buying this DLC either .. would've loved it to be free but whatever.

I'm not ready to start diving into ME2 again anyway so I'm sort of glad. :D

As for dlc, Overlord was definitely worth it in set-piece and story design, and one should try to go in as spoiler-free as possible. In contrast, Kasumi's mission was mediocre, but she is an entertaining character in general gameplay, and both new toys the dlc brings with it (the
Locust smg and optional skill Flashbang grenades
) have been entertaining to use. So I was happy with both for different reasons.

Finally, at about the dozen hour mark rifling (ahem) through one last game for now and am closing this game out immediately having chosen not to recruit
Thane, Grunt (unopened), Legion (not activated), or even Tali
to see what happens now and later.

After this, spent all the time I had--and then some--for videogames for quite a while. But as one favored character says at one point, "it was totally worth it".

Moving on, possibly to read the Mass Effect: Ascension novel I've had sitting on the shelf for over a year. Plus, I see another novel on the way later this month.

Purkake4

Banned
I have seen the "femshep is canon" sentiment making the rounds here and there, is there any basis for that or just internet people being crazy?

Patryn

Purkake4 said:
I have seen the "femshep is canon" sentiment making the rounds here and there, is there any basis for that or just internet people being crazy?

That is just people who have opened themselves up to the indisputable truth that FemShep's VA is a million times better than MaleShep's.

Unfortunately, canon shep is an earthborn renegade male sole survivor soldier with Mark Vanderloo's head.

Haunted

Purkake4 said:
Wishful thinking because of her superior voice acting.

Canon Shep is Male Renegade.

Patryn

WanderingWind said:
Now, just curious, why do you say this?

It's the Shep you get if you start ME2 with the default options instead of loading a ME1 save. He starts having chosen (almost) all the renegade options in ME1.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Patryn said:
It's the Shep you get if you start ME2 with the default options instead of loading a ME1 save.

Oh, that. I thought you had proof or something. A default setting had to be something, that doesn't make it canon.

FemShep remains canon.

Patryn

WanderingWind said:
Oh, that. I thought you had proof or something. A default setting had to be something, that doesn't make it canon.

FemShep remains canon.

Out of curiousity, how are you defining "canon"?

WanderingWind

Patryn said:
Out of curiousity, how are you defining "canon"?

Canon - What is most awesome within the context of the game, available talent, and subtext of the story.

Or, what I preferred, basically.

FemShep for lyfe, yo.

markatisu

WanderingWind said:

FemShep remains canon.

How does that work with Male Shep being on all the advertisements, in all the commercials and having an action figure?

Canon Shep says Hello

mass-effect-shepard-figure.jpg

WanderingWind

markatisu said:
How does that work with Male Shep being on all the advertisements, in all the commercials and having an action figure?

Canon Shep says Hello

Marketing. They had to put something out there, so they used the most inoffensive bald space Marine template as their marketing push. Doesn't mean it's canon.

FemShep says sit down and shut up, Robo-Shep.

Dennis

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Marketing. They had to put something out there, so they used the most inoffensive bald space Marine template as their marketing push. Doesn't mean it's canon.

FemShep says sit down and shut up, Robo-Shep.

Furret

Banned
markatisu said:

Canon Shep says Hello

mass-effect-shepard-figure.jpg

Is that helmet/alternative head maybe meant to be the female Shepard?

It seems to be wearing lipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom