• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flyguy said:
I finally got around to playing this. Regarding DLC--is it all post-game stuff, or are there missions integrated into the main game. Basically, what, if anything, should I download now, and what should I wait on?
The two DLC characters are obviously integrated into the main game, all other DLC (Hammerhead, Overlord) can be played as part of the main game, or played after the main game is over.

Montresor

I put in Mass Effect, going after the hardcore achievement for the first time, and noticed that Bring Down The Sky is 80 MSP and Pinnacle Station is 400 MSP... Awesome!

I love DLC. I need more Mass Effect 2 DLC.

Wiggum2007 said:
What are the chances we'll get a DA: Awakening-esque expansion for ME2?

this is what I have been waiting for. even Overlord, which I found to be pretty fun, still left me wanting more in the terms of DLC

Wiggum2007 said:
What are the chances we'll get a DA: Awakening-esque expansion for ME2?

We discussed this in detail a page back. But it is important they know how much we want it
F U BIWOARRR!!!11! WHERS MA XPANSION!?????!!

+1 for Earth hubworld with missions branching off across the globe.

I downloaded Kasumi and Overlord yesterday, played through Kasumi and while I agree it is short the price is somewhat justified by the fact that you keep one additional squad member, plus an additional weapon, both of which are not present in Overlord. I only started Overlord, but good God, I hope Uncharted Planets are like that in ME3. I also picked 4 out of 6 packets, are all of them supposed to be in the main area? Also, when I enter one of the other stations, does the packet count reset?

Also found that there is a limit to save slots in PC version - 52 unique saves (not counting overwrites) per character.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Castor Krieg said:
I downloaded Kasumi and Overlord yesterday, played through Kasumi and while I agree it is short the price is somewhat justified by the fact that you keep one additional squad member, plus an additional weapon, both of which are not present in Overlord. I only started Overlord, but good God, I hope Uncharted Planets are like that in ME3. I also picked 4 out of 6 packets, are all of them supposed to be in the main area? Also, when I enter one of the other stations, does the packet count reset?

All of the packets are in the hub, and the count doesn't reset. If you want to get them all you will need to do so before you travel to the final area though.

dralla

is there any reason why they didn't scan a female sheperd like they did with the male? the female voice is so much better but it's impossible to make a character look as good as default male shep :\

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
dralla said:
is there any reason why they didn't scan a female sheperd like they did with the male? the female voice is so much better but it's impossible to make a character look as good as default male shep :\
Make your own Fem Shep and bask in the glory that is Fem Shep.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect: Evolution comic series announced.

Planned as a four part mini-series, the comics will explain the origin of The Illusive Man, who he is, and how he came to form Cerberus. Set in the early days of humanity's galactic exploration, it will explore The First Contact war, and give us a glimps into how humanity reacted.

Issue #1 is due in January 2011.

mass-effect-evolution-20100714051108874.jpg

Solo said:
- the Hammerhead sucks. Oh boy, does it suck. They should have brought the Mako back over this garbage. One piddly little gun and a speed boost? Thats it? At least the Mako had rockets, the ability to zoom, and felt a ton more rugged and useful.

Mako was useful? How exactly? Big driving can that controlled terribly and planet design was atrocious, Hammerhead is huge improvement when it goes to planetary interaction, it controls great.

Finishing my Insanity run, doing
IFF mission
. I have so less trouble right now, than I did on my first Normal run, or Hardcore difficulty. :lol Overlord was great and worth $7 (best to think about DLC as having different price scheme than full retail games), I didn't get the gimmick in the last battle -
do Geth keep spawning all the time, so you shouldn't kill them and go for VI nodes?
. Decided to end it rather quickly with Cain, surprisingly
it didn't deduct ammo = free shot

Wallach

dralla said:

I don't even really like FemShep's voice that much. Both VAs seem a little awkward to me, but you're forced to use the character creator for FemShep and anything that comes out of that thing looks like ass (including all of the generic human NPCs in the game).

Loam

EatChildren said:

I'm actually kind of excited for this. Normally I would avoid any comic book that relates to a video game, but if I'm not mistaken this will be the first time were given any substantial information regarding TIM's background or the first contact war. Both of which I wished were discussed more in the games.

Also I'm sure these have been talked before but after recently replaying ME2 I couldn't help but notice a few things which seemed...off.

- Spend massive amounts of resources on facial reconstruction technology for the medical bay but never use it on
Garrus
- Acquire
Legion
and debate the safeties of keeping a
geth
on board your ship. Lock it in the AI core to be safe.
- Have people recognize you by your appearance despite wearing a giant face blocking helmet (coincidently is there anyway to wear a helmet but make it not show up in conversations? I never understood this decision).

Wren said:
- Spend massive amounts of resources on facial reconstruction technology for the medical bay but never use it on
Garrus

Dextro amino acids, etc.

Plus, alot of people didn't buy the upgrade. My renegade adept femshep looks good as a Terminator.

Mr_Zombie

Castor Krieg said:
Mako was useful? How exactly? Big driving can that controlled terribly and planet design was atrocious, Hammerhead is huge improvement when it goes to planetary interaction, it controls great.

When it goes to planetary interaction, then maybe you're right (though I still prefer Mako). However, when it comes to fighting, Hamerhead is just an useless piece of junk: a weak gun, no ability to aim precisely and lack of information on how much damage the vehicle took...

Mr_Zombie said:
When it goes to planetary interaction, then maybe you're right (though I still prefer Mako). However, when it comes to fighting, Hamerhead is just an useless piece of junk: a weak gun, no ability to aim precisely and lack of information on how much damage the vehicle took...

This is my only gripe with this as well. There should be a HUD indicatior, showing recharge rate as well. Aiming would be nice as well, but I'm thinking Bioware concentrates more on driving/platforming elements. The ones in Overlord were pretty neat.

Dosia

So im just starting me2 and it wont let me import my lvl 60 due to that save not being complete. My character is on insanity and has a few missions to go. Is it worth importing or should I just start a new character? It will be at least 10 hours to complete my other profile i am guessing.

Loam

Dosia said:
So im just starting me2 and it wont let me import my lvl 60 due to that save not being complete. My character is on insanity and has a few missions to go. Is it worth importing or should I just start a new character? It will be at least 10 hours to complete my other profile i am guessing.

If I'm not mistaken if you choose not to import a character your stuck with default decisions from the first game. Most of which are renegade, take that how you will. Also if anything importing a completed save gives you bonus resources in the sequel, which saves you from having to do a good chunk of tedious scanning.

Worth it to complete your save in my opinion.

Dosia

So i started replaying my me1 profile but I cant remember how to kill the krogan warriors on insanity. They just keep going invincible. What is the trick?

Dosia said:
So i started replaying my me1 profile but I cant remember how to kill the krogan warriors on insanity. They just keep going invincible. What is the trick?

Krogans regenerate health, use biotics to render them harmless. I think Warp also stops health regeneration, at least in ME2. If you see Krogan glowing it means regeneration kicked in, unload immediately everything you have at the Krogan.

Wallach

Dosia said:

There's no real trick to it on ME1, the game is pretty lame on Insanity. For Krogans all you can really do is cycle biotics to keep them away and slowly whittle them down with Warp and gunfire. Make sure your ammo is your strongest anti-organic you have available.

Did anyone notice strange glitches with your squadmates' ability points? When they become loyal ability unlocks, however sometimes it will automatically take one point e.g. Garrus' AP Ammo. This way you cannot really max their other abilities. Without the glitch you can max all but one skill, I did that with Garrus, Legion, etc. I cannot do that for Tali, Garrus, etc. Anyone elst got that?

Another glitch I encountered - ammo is not deducted when using Cain. I used it 3 times -
Overlord, IFF Core, and final battle
- each time the ammo shows 175 again.

EDIT: Found a reason for ability points, now I know why I cannot properly max some characters.

Dresden

Dosia said:
Lift=death

If you have explosive rounds, Lift-explosive shot will often send them flying into the air... Team Rocket style.

EatChildren

Dosia said:

If you're already level 60 and playing through it just to import the level 60 character, crank the difficulty down to easy and grind through it. There's no bonus for importing a character who finished the game on a higher difficulty.

TheStringTheory said:
Looks like that could be Saren in that picture.

Doesn't look like Saren in my opinion, mostly because of the head shape, but it would be cool if Saren appeared in the story. Anderson also has the chance to appear in the story, since he was a soldier when the First Contact War started.

Enosh

EatChildren said:

Planned as a four part mini-series, the comics will explain the origin of The Illusive Man, who he is, and how he came to form Cerberus. Set in the early days of humanity's galactic exploration, it will explore The First Contact war, and give us a glimps into how humanity reacted.

Issue #1 is due in January 2011.
maybe it's just me but he kinda looks like Bruce Campbell on that picture :D

I just ordered ME2 for cheap. When I start playing, when should I tackle the DLC missions? Anytime in the middle of the campaign, or after beating it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gryphter said:
I just ordered ME2 for cheap. When I start playing, when should I tackle the DLC missions? Anytime in the middle of the campaign, or after beating it?
Do the two DLC character missions asap as both are cool and they give you two really great teammates for actual fighting. The Firewalker and Overlord packs can really be done whenever, like the other sidequests.

Stallion Free said:
Do the two DLC character missions asap as both are cool and they give you two really great teammates for actual fighting. The Firewalker and Overlord packs can really be done whenever, like the other sidequests.

excellent, thanks

Baron

I saw today that a local Wal-Mart is still selling a copy of the Xbox 360 collector's edition of this game, albeit still priced at $70. Is that worth it for the collector's edition? I looked around, and it seems like it has held its value pretty well. I just bought a 360 earlier this month and started playing the first Mass Effect, been looking into my options for buying the second and ran into this.

EatChildren

Fourth "Mass Effect" book on the way.

Written by William C Dietz this time.

Baron said:
I saw today that a local Wal-Mart is still selling a copy of the Xbox 360 collector's edition of this game, albeit still priced at $70. Is that worth it for the collector's edition? I looked around, and it seems like it has held its value pretty well. I just bought a 360 earlier this month and started playing the first Mass Effect, been looking into my options for buying the second and ran into this.

Depends on how much you value the extra content. In the CE you get;

- A steel case for the game.
- 48 page artbook (dont look at it until you've finished the game).
- Mass Effect: Redemption #1 comic.
- Unlock code for the Collector's Armor and Collector's Rifle.
- Behind-the-scenes DVD that has a bunch of trailers and interviews with the developers. Its all pretty shallow to be frank and comes across more of a "THIS IS HOW AWESOME OUR GAME IS" than an indepth look into the development.

If all that is the kinda stuff you want, then go for it.

Patryn

Bungieware said:
We discussed this in detail a page back. But it is important they know how much we want it
F U BIWOARRR!!!11! WHERS MA XPANSION!?????!!

+1 for Earth hubworld with missions branching off across the globe.

They've basically said that they've been saving Earth for ME3.

CushVA

new DLC: Lair of The Shadow Broker

http://masseffect.bioware.com/
The latest Mass Effect 2 DLC has been revealed, Lair of the Shadow Broker!

Two years ago, Commander Shepard died and Liara T'Soni fought in a desperate struggle against the Shadow Broker to recover her former Commander. Now that Shepard is back, it's time to even the score.

Team up with Liara and confront the mysterious and sinister Shadow Broker in the latest expansion to Mass Effect 2, coming soon!

shadow_broker-01-p.jpg

shadow_broker-02-p.jpg

shadow_broker-03-p.jpg

Wiggum2007

I don't like how after ME1 they decided to make the Shadow Broker 'teh evil', I hope this DLC isn't that black and white. And they built up how illusive and impossible to track down he/she/they were, and now Liara of all friggin' people finds him. Lame!

EatChildren

Seda said:
This.

Also, I don't like Liara's new voice.

Liara's voice is 100% identical to the first game.

Owzers

I wonder how long it will be before a Mass Effect 2 Game of the Year edition comes out. I have the game but haven't gotten any of the dlc yet and it might be better just to wait for it to be at retail.

Lunchbox

Banned
CushVA said:
Team up with Liara and confront the mysterious and sinister Shadow Broker in the latest expansion to Mass Effect 2, coming soon!

expansion expansion?? like a dragon age style please?

or just dlc?

dekjo

sillymonkey321 said:
I wonder how long it will be before a Mass Effect 2 Game of the Year edition comes out. I have the game but haven't gotten any of the dlc yet and it might be better just to wait for it to be at retail.

Do you think there'll be one? Only seems like a few dozen games get GOTY editions with all the DLC, but maybe I'm not aware of a bunch of them.

Edit: and even a few dozen now sounds like a lot to me....I can only think of Fallout, Oblivion, Batman: AA, LittleBigPlanet, some CoDs, and that's about it. Oh, and Left for Dead.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Only reason that I haven't gotten the latest DLC packs was because of time and HDD space, so tomorrow or Saturday, it's time to buy an 8GB stick and correct that.

I'm glad that the Liara/Shadow Broker DLC has finally been announced, it's been hinted at heavily in ME2 that you might get the chance to get to him finally, and it looks like the time has finally come... nice.

Oh, and I've been playing the last few days as an Infiltrator on Insanity - it feels kinda naked coming from a Vanguard, but then again, I'm only level 6, and I can't utilize the Infiltrator's perks to the fullest yet - I miss my shotgun and powers big time though... :(

EatChildren

Saw this on DeviantArt and thought you guys might like it. Full galaxy map of all known relays, clusters, and important locations. Click for the super big version. Probably best avoided for those going into the ME universe fresh or who have yet to complete ME2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom