• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

That's pretty awesome.
Third book is coming out soon right?
I'm almost done with the second book and i already want more.

xemumanic

Mass Effect 2 and all its DLC thus far (including 1.5GB for both the newly announced DLC) would add up to somewhere about 22GB of data! Assuming Lair of The Shadow Broker was the last DLC, that's already a LOT of data. How would EA distribute an 'Ultimate Edition' on the PC? I swear this is screaming to be released on Blu Ray, especially when you consider the more realistic situation that at very least, a few more DLC are on their way.

This reminds me of the switch from CD to DVD on the PC earlier last decade. You can buy a Blu Ray read-only drive for about $60 now. Sure, there's services like Steam and Direct2Drive out, but that's 22GB! Digital distribution, not to mention stupid data caps from ISPs, like the recent worsened cap Rogers has put in the wake of the Netflix announcement, makes it hard for places like Canada.

For me, the idea of buying a game on a PC Blu Ray sounds great, I like Steam very much, but that's a lot of data to download at once, and I'd rather have a disc. So what do you all think?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
xemumanic said:
Mass Effect 2 and all its DLC thus far (including 1.5GB for both the newly announced DLC) would add up to somewhere about 22GB of data! Assuming Lair of The Shadow Broker was the last DLC, that's already a LOT of data. How would EA distribute an 'Ultimate Edition' on the PC? I swear this is screaming to be released on Blu Ray, especially when you consider the more realistic situation that at very least, a few more DLC are on their way.

If you include the Cerberus Network DLC, then its actually 3.2GB of stuff.

Arjen said:
That's pretty awesome.
Third book is coming out soon right?
I'm almost done with the second book and i already want more.

Its due July 27th.

xemumanic

EatChildren said:
If you include the Cerberus Network DLC, then its actually 3.2GB of stuff.

What Cerberus Network DLC? I've tried to count every piece of DLC there is, free or pay, and added an assumption of 1GB for Lair of The Shadow Broker, and 500MB for the weaponry DLC that's to come before, all based on previous history. Have I missed something?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
xemumanic said:
What Cerberus Network DLC? I've tried to count every piece of DLC there is, free or pay, and added an assumption of 1GB for Lair of The Shadow Broker, and 500MB for the weaponry DLC that's to come before, all based on previous history. Have I missed something?

Zaeed - Character and Mission
Kasumi - Character and Mission

Alternate Appearance Pack 1 - CLOTHING WOOOOOOooooo

Overlord - Missions
Hammerhead - Missions
Crashed Normandy - Mission

Aegis Pack - Armor and Weapon
Cerberus Arc - Weapon
Cerberus Pack - Weapon and Armor
Equalizer Pack - Armor

xemumanic

EatChildren said:
Zaeed - Character and Mission
Kasumi - Character and Mission

Alternate Appearance Pack 1 - CLOTHING WOOOOOOooooo

Overlord - Missions
Hammerhead - Missions
Crashed Normandy - Mission

Aegis Pack - Armor and Weapon
Cerberus Arc - Weapon
Cerberus Pack - Weapon and Armor
Equalizer Pack - Armor

Oh cool, I accounted for all of those. I was worried for a second there.

So anyway, has no one got anything to say about what I asked? That's a LOT of data, and there's obviously going to be an 'Ultimate' collection or something at the end, and I would rather have one Blu Ray than 3-4 DVDs.

It would just be released on multiple Dvd's, BR penetration on PC isn't high enough yet

Also, there is going to be another piece of DLC that will at least contain the weapons seen in the Liara SS (might just be a weapons pack ?)

EatChildren

MrTroubleMaker said:
Also, there is going to be another piece of DLC that will at least contain the weapons seen in the Liara SS (might just be a weapons pack ?)

Yes. Some BioWare rep said that a weapons pack with some of those new weapons will be released prior to the Liara DLC.

EatChildren

Stallion Free said:
I wish they would release costume packs for the other 9 already.

I'm guessing the next three will be Miranda, Jacob, and Tali.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
I'm guessing the next three will be Miranda, Jacob, and Tali.
Hopefully they will make Jacob look cool instead of your run of mill Cerberus agent. Also, I still want them to include a free variant of the Jack skin that has no fucking glasses (ditto with Thane).

EatChildren

Stallion Free said:
Hopefully they will make Jacob look cool instead of your run of mill Cerberus agent. Also, I still want them to include a free variant of the Jack skin that has no fucking glasses (ditto with Thane).

That makes too much sense for BioWare to do it.

So, I'm a little late to the party on this one. Just started playing last week and finished it today. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with the game. It seemed like so much effort was put into streamlining the experience and making it more like a third person shooter than an RPG. I actually liked not having to reload if I could pace my shots, or having to specialize in my weapons to make them effective in the first game. Or being able to mix and match weapon modifications, or choosing from a dozen different pistols. I found one new version of pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and SMGs over the entire game(took the second bolt action rather than getting a new weapon specialization when given the choice, so had 3 snipers). Really? I get one new gun? Maybe I just really suck at finding the shops where the gear is or something, but I couldnt find any more than one new version of guns for anything but the heavy weapon. I realize that instead of getting new guns you did massive upgrades to them, but even so, it just didnt feel right for an RPG to be so limited with equipment. And the fact that each character had only 3 skills to upgrade until you do their side mission... I just don't know.

Also, I really didn't think most of the characters were really needed. Was it really necessary to have like 4 different biotics on the team? Or 3 snipers(4 actually, because I chose the sniper class)? It just seemed like a lot of skill sets overlapped, and rather than making so many similar characters and then giving each a sidequest, they could have focused the team down to ME1 size and made more missions for each one. Could you not just give each character one more ability, give an extra skill point each level and cut the party size in half, and then have 2 or 3 side missions for each character instead of just 1? Not to mention some of the characters were awful. I really didnt like Miranda, Jacob, Jack or Mordin (though my dislike for Mordin was purely based on his speech pattern. other than that he's a great character. Jack though? Holy shit...you're just awful. "Look at me, I'm an angry psycho and I hate everyone and I swear because that makes me cool". Not sure what about Jacob set me off, but I just felt like he was a bit of a prick. And Miranda is just such a whiny bitch..."Oh, I'm so perfect, god it sucks." Fuck you, shut up, I don't care.) . Thane had some cool story to him, and it was nice to see Garrus and Tali back, plus Legion was pretty rad, but nobody had half as much character as Wrex did in the first game, at least in my opinion.

I did however, like the fact that at least the exploration quests were slightly different from each other. It was no longer going into the same cavern or space base half a dozen times, which was good, but at the same time I miss my MAKO. Not the driving part of it, because we all know it was terrible, but at the same time there's something to be said about dropping to the planet surface and exploring the world trying to find something interesting.

Overall, I think this is the lesser game of the two. I felt Mass Effect 1 was better at providing the RPG experience I wanted, and this just didn't sit well with me. It's still a good game, but I just think it doesnt really serve as well. Hopefully Mass Effect 3 gets the feel of the first back, at least for me.

Lunchbox said:
who ever did shepard in that was the WORST and ruined it

Her twitchyness reminds me of Chiana from Farscape.

chiana.gif

Just finished Mass Effect:Retribution, the latest novel written by Drew Karpyshyn, the senario writer for the Mass Effect series. There was a interesting plot point in the novel that might apply to Mass Effect 3:
it's heavily implied that Omega is a Reaper Construct, like the Citadel
. This was not implied in ME2. Make of that what you will.

By the way, Bioware: the canon story line choices suck.
Counciler Udina?

Mutanthands said:
Just finished Mass Effect:Retribution, the latest novel written by Drew Karpyshyn, the senario writer for the Mass Effect series. There was a interesting plot point in the novel that might apply to Mass Effect 3:

interesting

Counciler Udina?

yep :(

Mutanthands said:

Counciler Udina?
Oh right, that IS out. I really liked the first two. They were fun.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Awesome news on the new book, just ordered it now. I love the ME universe and these novels really make it seem a much more real and rounded setting.

I am becoming a bit of a game-novel nerd though, kinda worrying :lol I just finished Contact Harvest and am currently reading the second Dragon Age novel. The Bioware books are especially good IMO, can't wait to crack open this new one.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Jedeye Sniv said:
Awesome news on the new book, just ordered it now. I love the ME universe and these novels really make it seem a much more real and rounded setting.

I am becoming a bit of a game-novel nerd though, kinda worrying :lol I just finished Contact Harvest and am currently reading the second Dragon Age novel. The Bioware books are especially good IMO, can't wait to crack open this new one.

You and me both friend :lol.

I finished up the ME and DA:O books but now I gotta finish Contact Harvest and Ghosts of Onyx.

EatChildren

My copy should arrive this week. The books are pretty much slosh, but I eat them up like I eat up everything Mass Effect related :(.

I do look forward to whatever hints towards ME3 are within the pages. Drew did say there would be some, and Ascension made sure to talk about Omega, the Collectors, as well as Cerberus.

EatChildren said:
My copy should arrive this week. The books are pretty much slosh, but I eat them up like I eat up everything Mass Effect related :(.

I do look forward to whatever hints towards ME3 are within the pages. Drew did say there would be some, and Ascension made sure to talk about Omega, the Collectors, as well as Cerberus.
It's a great read, took me a couple sessions to finish it, but can be finished in one sitting if you have a lazy afternoon. There are definitely some big clues about some of the direction ME3 will take if you read between the lines.

Overall, the book is about even with Ascension, and better than Revelation.

Finished ME2...The mechanics were well done and everything could be played in 30 min-60 min chunks. However, I feel though that Bioware gets way too much credit for their branching dialogue and overall writing. Chiefly, the romance stuff doesn't really need to be there and really threw off the mood. I wish they took a page from DA's book and had party member banter during the missions. The cereberus network stuff's inclusion also made for a weaker product imo as Zaedd was a total throw away character (hover tank stuff wasn't fun either..). The final boss was a bit of a downer as well...

Overall, I enjoyed the game and even though I have many complaints about it, it still is one of my top games so far for this year. Hopefully they just keep the mechanics for this one and really work on delivering an epic storyline with better character development for the next Mass Effect.

jonah777

Mutanthands said:
It's a great read, took me a couple sessions to finish it, but can be finished in one sitting if you have a lazy afternoon. There are definitely some big clues about some of the direction ME3 will take if you read between the lines.

Overall, the book is about even with Ascension, and better than Revelation.

IMO, Revelation > Retribution >> Ascension. As worthy a foe as
Kai Leng
might be, he's not touching Saren in his prime.

Fowler

jonah777 said:
IMO, Revelation > Retribution >> Ascension. As worthy a foe as
Kai Leng
might be, he's not touching Saren in his prime.

Hrm... I have a feeling
Kai Leng
isn't set up to be an adversary, but a ME3 character.

Just finished Retribution. Like some of you guys, I know they're not great, but I'm a sucker for them anyway.

I don't think the ME3 hints are as obvious here as they were with Ascension, but I have a few predictions for ME3 based on Retribution...

- The turian attacks on Cerberus result in the Illusive Man no longer having the means to support your operation. I don't think anyone here really expects Shepard to still work for Cerberus in ME3; the repeated references to Cerberus' "fallen empire" mark a neat way they can cut Shepard's ties to them, regardless of whether you gave the Illusive Man the finger at the end of ME2 or not.

- Anderson is your primary "handler" in the battle against the Reapers. He says he can't ignore it and something has to be done; the Illusive Man later says something like, 'finally someone other than Cerberus is going to do something about the Reapers,' strongly implying that Anderson will lead the fight. Again, neat how the plot twists into a nice middle path that fits all scenarios: If you picked Anderson as Councilor, he resigns to fight the Reapers. If you picked Udina, well, Anderson's got nothing better to do anyway!

- Kahlee Sanders is an important NPC... if not a potential squad member. Her working with Anderson convinced me that she'll be a part of ME3; enough references to her combat training imply she can handle a weapon, plus her odd broken fingers could be a way to mask how good she is (or not!) in combat, so there is the possibility she might be a squad member. Or hell, maybe she's a bit of both and she sits on the Normandy as the new Dr Chakwas.

- Kai Leng is a squad member. He becomes the lone active and loyal Cerberus member in your squad (Jacob seemed a reluctant Cerberus officer; Miranda's loyalty is easily swayed, and besides, it's entirely possible neither of them lives to see ME3). Despite being Cerberus, his loyalty appears to be to the mission; if the Illusive Man tells him to follow Shepard and fight the Reapers, he'll do that even if he disagrees with saving aliens, which is why I think he's perfect for the squad. And he seems to be a dark mirror of Shepard: N7 training, similar unreal skills, but instead of becoming an Alliance hero and Spectre he's booted out and becomes a Cerberus hero.

- Long shot: What if our Human Biotic for ME3 is a kid from the Ascension Project... like Nick? For the record, I don't think this will happen. But it'd be a fun contrast: Kaidan was one of the early human biotics who didn't get all the new training and equipment; Jack was raised by Cerberus and was mistreated and tortured to hone her powers. Nick would be a relatively sheltered kid who became better than the others partially because he was nurtured in a safe environment with the best teachers and equipment where they didn't make the mistakes they did with Kaidan and Jack. Doubtful, but another neat parallel.

Happy as I am to see DLC like Lair of the Shadow Broker... where's ME3 info damnit? I'm insanely impatient :)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
On my second playthrough playing as a Female Adept Renegade on Insanity. Really fun stuff. But darn, those Shield barriers are such a pain. I have to rely on my SMG to take them out, and it takes forever. About 50% of the mission to recruit Grunt was spent just recovering shields after popping out of cover to get a few shots on those Blue Sun bastards.

If I use Advanced Combat Training, can I learn Overload? That would be really helpful, especially since my biotics recharge so fast.

TheStringTheory said:
Yeah, I also lost
Tali
and
Zaeed
in my playthrough. I have no idea why
Zaeed died
, considering he was loyal to me, and
I didn't pick him for a role he couldn't handle
. On the other hand,
I lost Tali's loyalty after the scene with Legion

Lol,
i lost the same exact 2
and
I sent Samara as the 1st fire leader. I liked Zaeed and also through he would be perfect choice for 2nd part fire leader I might reload my save to make sure he survives and destroy the collector station (i let the Illusive man have it on current save)

I like the infinite ammo/overheat system from ME1 a bit better (and the upgrade tree). Can't wait for ME3!
Cant say that I miss the Mako though.

EatChildren

Retribution arrived today, yay!

Also, I wonder if the new weapons pack will arrive tomorrow. ME2 DLC always arrives on a Tuesday, and we're due.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Sub_Level said:
On my second playthrough playing as a Female Adept Renegade on Insanity. Really fun stuff. But darn, those Shield barriers are such a pain. I have to rely on my SMG to take them out, and it takes forever. About 50% of the mission to recruit Grunt was spent just recovering shields after popping out of cover to get a few shots on those Blue Sun bastards.

If I use Advanced Combat Training, can I learn Overload? That would be really helpful, especially since my biotics recharge so fast.

Bring Garrus, Miranda or Kasumi (if you have her). They all have overload & a double area overload will strip a lot of shields fast.

EatChildren

As much as I love Garrus and drag him everywhere, he's such a shitty squadmate compared to most of the others. If anybody in my squad dies, its always him, and always quickly.

Kasumi is amazing though.

EatChildren said:
As much as I love Garrus and drag him everywhere, he's such a shitty squadmate compared to most of the others. If anybody in my squad dies, its always him, and always quickly.

In ME1 this would always happen to me Garrus would die very quickly. Didnt use him too much though Thane to me is a better Garrus (Sniper plus sub machine gun)

kai3345

Banned
SovietStriker said:
In ME1 this would always happen to me Garrus would die very quickly. Didnt use him too much though Thane to me is a better Garrus (Sniper plus sub machine gun)
Yeah, I've pretty much considered Thane to be Tier 2 Garrus and Legion to be Tier 2 Tali

EatChildren

SovietStriker said:

I mostly keep Garrus because I like his character, but I do like his combat abilities. With a Geth assault rifle and armor piercing rounds he's pretty capable against shields and armor, and overload is useful, and I enjoy concussive shot is great for groups or stronger characters.

He just has shit all health. Stupid Garrus. Be less stupid.

dreamer3kx said:
Finished it on the PC awhile back, going to play it on the 360, are there any changes besides the graphics of course.

I dont think so, no.

Firepower pack ready to download!

I'll post some pics in a minute.

r76vq9.jpg

2dsl6h4.jpg

29394zq.jpg

The Phallanx Heavy pistol is really cool, blue laser targeting and has the punch of a sniper rifle.

Geth Shotgun also cool.

Best of all is the Mattock heavy rifle, though it's classed as an assault rifle, which means filthy little adepts, engineers, vanguards, infiltrators and sentinals can play soldier. Was hoping this would have been classed as a machine gun for the soldier. It's just too good for other classes.

Feindflug

ukresistance said:
Firepower pack ready to download!

I'll post some pics in a minute.

http://i28.tinypic.com/r76vq9.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2dsl6h4.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/29394zq.jpg

The Phallanx Heavy pistol is really cool, blue laser targeting and has the punch of a sniper rifle.

Geth Shotgun also cool.

Best of all is the Mattock heavy rifle, though it's classed as an assault rifle, which means filthy little adepts, engineers, vanguards, infiltrators and sentinals can play soldier. Was hoping this would have been classed as a machine gun for the soldier. It's just too good for other classes.

Selling weapons is so lame...the two weapon packs should've been new add-ons to the Cerberus Network but instead they are charging 320 points for both of them that of course some people will buy because there weren't enough weapons in the main game - I simply don't want to believe that they left weapons out of the game intentionally to sell them later as DLC...

I seriously don't like Bioware's DLC plans with Mass Effect 2 and especially their (lack of) support on the Cerberus Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom